Unauthorised Withdrawal

Techie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6180 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, just need a bit of advice.

Recently my partner paid a £1000 check into her barclays current account, and today it appears that barclaycard have deducted £532 of it without any authorisation from my partner, now this is the amount she was apparently owing to barclaycard but can they just take the money without authorisation, the reason being the money was mine and not her's. As far as i was aware only the courts can order the moving of monies from an account without authorisation or have i been watching too many gangster movies??

You've been watching too many gangsters movies. :-)

Under the rule of offset, they can retrieve monies from one account to recover "owing" monies on another. And since the money was in her account, you will have a hard time proving it was yours, I'm afraid.

Hi Techie

The same thing happened to me in 2001. Barclaycard took £850 from my Barclays current account, leaving me with about £100 to pay bills etc. I complained to the bank, the ombudsman and my MP but nothing came of it. The rules of ' offset ' are stacked against you.

Hope you have better luck than I did.

FC

Barclaycard: SETTLED AFTER LBA

Barclays 1: AT COURT

Barclays 2: WITH FOS

Capital One: SETTLED AFTER N1

Egg: SETTLED AFTER LBA

HFC: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

Lloyds TSB: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) - WITH Information Commissioners Office

RBS: AT COURT

Well that is shocking it should be illegal. I would close my account.

And go where? Every financial institution will carry the same terms, I guarantee you. The only way to avoid this is to keep all your accounts with different companies: credit card with one, bank with another, mortgage with yet another, savings accounts, etc...