• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

chubbas dad v reliance & fester

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5126 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:mad:...............omg there goes xmas, and new year, and eveything.bloody hell..:mad: corruption is rife in this country.i am so going to get an account somewhere else like the post office.sod the banks who needs another leach sucking the life blood out of them.

NEWS RELEASE

Friday 27 November 2009

spread the word people.........the fight is still on!!!!!

News Update: Ray Cox QC to fight bank charges

MoneySavingExpert.com has today arranged for top banking barrister Ray CoxQC to redraft its bank charges template letters, in light of the Supreme Court judgem ent.

The site is doing this by engaging Govan Law centre, run by campaigning solicitor Mike Dailly, and it will instruct Mr. Ray Cox QC and Mr Giles Wheeler, both barristers at Fountain Courts Chamber, Temple.

Martin Lewis, creator of MoneySavingExpert.com says:

"There are millions of people with cases on hold, and the OFT won’t be giving its view until December – meanwhile the banks are already starting to apply to have cases kicked out of court. We hope to put the brakes on this by drafting amended documents which people reclaiming can submit to the court based on the latest ruling.

"The Supreme Court itself noted that the question of fairness could still be looked at under the now infamous ‘regulation 5’ of the UTCCR regulations and that's exactly where we will be attacking. It will be interesting to see how the banks react to what we hope will be the Rolls-Royce of template letters – drafted by a QC who has many times lead cases for the banks themselves.

"We may even return to a situation of goodwill payments in the interim as they wait to expand their arguments, so as not to risk a precedent setting decision against them.

"While we’re under no illusions of the difficulty of the task, and don’t want any reclaimers to bank on getting their money back, this does mean the campaign's back on and the banks need to watch in their rear view mirrors."

Solicitor Mike Dailly of Govan law centre comments:

“We're delighted to be working with MoneySavingExpert.com on what is perhaps one of the biggest rescue operations in recent UK consumer history.

"Rumours of the demise of the unfair bank charges campaign have been greatly exaggerated by the banks. The Supreme Court gave a very clear message that bank charges could still be unfair under regulation 5, and so a brand new right to reclaim will shortly be available to consumers on the authority of no less than the Supreme Court itself".

The template letters and legal advice should be available within the next two weeks via www.MoneySavingExpert.com alongside the other free campaigning sites including the Consumer Action Group, Penalty Charges and Legal B eagles - who will be feeding into this process too.

yes on LB they are advising caution until the final draft is finished - unless a hearing is imminent - just hold on a few days - time to re-group.Just remember the court did not say charges were unfair - only that the OFT did not have the power to assess the fairness under the narow remit they used.

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you have got to be kidding right?

Following the Supreme Court's judgment last month, the OFT has today announced its next steps in securing changes to unarranged overdraft charges and the wider personal current account market.

The Supreme Court found that unarranged overdraft charging terms in the contracts considered are not assessable in full under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999 ('UTCCRs').

After detailed consideration of the judgment and of the various options available to it, the OFT has concluded that any investigation it were to continue into the fairness of current unarranged overdraft charging terms under the UTCCRs would have a very limited scope and low prospects of success. Given this, it has decided against taking forward such an investigation.

The OFT nevertheless continues to have significant concerns about the operation of the market for personal current accounts. Despite some recent and planned improvements by banks, particularly around transparency and customer switching, it believes fundamental changes are still required for the market to work in the best interests of bank customers. Banks earn around a third of their personal current account revenues from unarranged overdraft charges that are difficult to understand, not transparent and not subject to effective consumer control.

Full announcement here:-

• 2 weeks later...

hi,and a happy new year to one and all.i have today ( the 04 jan 2010 ) recieved this letter from a & l giving me 8 weeks to respond from the date of their letter.it is convieniantly dated "DEC 2009" i am assuming they mean the 1st dec 2009 ? if so i have had 5 of my 8 weeks. (clever ) any help before they decide to close my case will be greatly appreciated. once again happy new year (my a**e):evil:

anlgetlostletter.pdf

Hi Chubb.....funnily enough, I've had the identical letter from A&L:mad:

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

maybe we all need to reply within 8 weeks so they dont close case telling them to keep case open whilst we take advice and prepare court case...

then if we all do same POC's stating they are not proportiante cost like we did at teh beginning see what happens... I am on benefits at the minute and my court fees are free at the minute so I am doing my best to get all my court cases done so if I get the nod and info I am happy to be guinea pig...

Only direct action by the masses will work....

Look at all successes they have never come from negotiation!!!

yeah good idea, i am going to reply telling them that i intend to persue my case, and am taking more legal advice.im sure as long as we do, they cannot just dissmiss our claims? maybe i will give them 7 days to respond :D .

As far as I understand it - this site is still waiting for legal guidance on how to proceed. and they have said wait for a little longer??

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

i dont mind waiting....i am just concerned about the time scale.as i said, a & l dated their letter "dec 09" if i take that to be, as of the 1st dec o9 my 8 weeks are almost up.....what do i do if that is the case? :confused:.

Hi Chubba

I simply replied to A&L

Dear

I have concerns your final responce on such important and sensitive issues, failed to include actual dates, or indeed give guidance I had SIX MONTHS from the date of your letter to ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to look into my complaint.

I do not consider merely December 2009, appropriate when important time frames are attached to your final response.

Please respond with relevant dates, rather than a template letter.

Yours faithfully.

Basically I have responded within the eight weeks A&L stipulated, game on the balls in there court

Good luck

If they're going to be vague, then interpret it as you see fit. If you received the letter on the 4th Jan, then check the post-mark, it will have been posted just before new year. I'd say a letter posted on 30th Dec would arrive on 4th Jan. Unless they're saving a few pence and they posted it second class on the 29th Dec.

Singing: On the 4th day of Christmas A&L sent to me,

A letter that's taking the pee.

I think another angle is that you applied on a financial hardship basis and so far they have offered you no financial assistance. I will check on the other forum I am on what their current recomendations are - I know thwy are working hard on some imminent claims and changing POC.

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

• 2 weeks later...