The BOS Took My Wages!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The BOS Took My Wages! (Also posted in General Forum)

I have two accounts with the Bank of Scotland, on one of which I exceeded my agreed overdraft limited. Inevitably there followed a plethora of charges and, obviously, the overdraft grew bigger. Anyway, my salary gets paid monthly into the other account - and the bank just took it, transferred it into my overdrawn account and left me with nothing with which to pay rent, bills, buy food etc. Well, actually they left 30p. That was in March. In April they took another £300 without warning. I've had this month's salary paid into a friends account in case they nick it again. This money that is being transferred is almost entirely to pay charges accrued. Can they do this? If it's illegal. what do I do next other than the FOS?

Ecksact.

It happened to me before too , I had 2 accounts with them and as soon as I put money in one they took it to pay charges on the other.

It happened a few times.

I'm sending prelim for second account now :)

Hi Ecksact, by prelim I mean the letter asking for repayment of charges from Halifax.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/671-2-letter-preliminary-approach.html

I have had an offer from them today regarding the first account, not satisfactory but I will try and sort that out

Mackem67

The bank has something called the First Right of Offset over monies paid into an account where you have debt with the same bank. It's ALWAYS a good idea to open a new account with a bank you don't owe any money to ( ie you don'y have any ODs, loans or credit cards with them ).

You should be able to open a BBA ( Basic Bank Account without being credit checked.

You also have the right to access your money even if you are in debt with the bank - it's called the First Right of Appropriation but you usually need to do this in writing at least 7 days BEFORE funds are due to be paid into your account ( so a bit late for you on this occasion )

The BOS Took My Wages! (Also posted in General Forum)

I have two accounts with the Bank of Scotland, on one of which I exceeded my agreed overdraft limited. Inevitably there followed a plethora of charges and, obviously, the overdraft grew bigger. Anyway, my salary gets paid monthly into the other account - and the bank just took it, transferred it into my overdrawn account and left me with nothing with which to pay rent, bills, buy food etc. Well, actually they left 30p. That was in March. In April they took another £300 without warning. I've had this month's salary paid into a friends account in case they nick it again. This money that is being transferred is almost entirely to pay charges accrued. Can they do this? If it's illegal. what do I do next other than the FOS?

Ecksact.

Hi Ecksact,

in the terms and conditions for Halifax they have this under section 6.2...

6.2 If any money is overdue for payment on any other account you have with us, whether in your sole name or in joint names; we may take the money you owe us out of your account. If your account is

a joint account, we will only do this if the overdue debt is also on a joint account held by the same people. We can do this without giving you notice.

Of course, they have other things in their terms and conditions that we don't agree with! :D So it would definately be worth investigating. Leaving you without food I think would be a good argument for the return of the money.

I am no solicitor so hopefully someone else could shed some light on this.

Good luck

Chop

Will definitely donate on payout to help keep this site going - thanks for all the advice!

Hi and welcome to CAG

You can contact your local branch and take them a right of appropriation letter which states your "living costs" These are costs which take priority such as rent and food. Here is the link for the letter http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/42170-right-appropriation-stop-bank.html

It is not just benefits that you can prevent them from taking, but ideally you must give them 7 days notice.

Do this till you arrange a new account for your wages to go into and then apply for your data and claim back those charges!!