Internet Charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5233 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi , was wondering if anyone could help. I used a internet dial up ISP (Every Little Helps) in January, was on their anytime package. In the meantime, got broadband, forgot about cancelling dial up , then looks at my bank statement on the weekend and they have taken out £70.00 for the dial up which I have not used since January. Just wondering if anyone knew if I could reclaim that money as I havent used their service for this long. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks

It looks as though your anytime package has a monthly charge anyway. Was the £70 taken over a number of months or in one lot? Did they advise you that the £70 would be taken? If not, contact the banks and say you were not given notice of the debit under the DD Guarantee terms, and CANCEL it at the same time.

If the £70 was spread out over a few months, they've done nothing wrong, and their charge reflects the cost of have the service available for your use. The fact you didn't isn't an issue. Since they'll know you've not used the service, you can ask for a refund, but it will be at their discretion, and you should advise them in writing that you wish to cancel immediately.

Hi , the £70.00 was taken out in one go, they said that they tried to take it out every month but the banks refused. It was not set up as a DD, the money was supposed to be taken as a card payment. I had no idea the payment would be taken out until I saw my bank statement over the weekend. They (Every Little Helps) said that they sent me an email, which was really useful seeing as though I never used their email address and hence never actually read any email from them.

What type of card? If a CC you'll have to have completed a mandate to allow them to take the debit. If a Debit card, your chances of a reversal are limited, but if the previous debit attempts failed, what was the reason they were successful this time? In the meantime, ensure you've cancelled their services and get an assurance no further debits will be taken until you can resolve the issue.

Hi , It was a debit card. Of course they dont tell you why the payment was unsuccessful, they said the bank does not tell them. Once again, another big company thriving from other peoples misfortune!!!! Do you think there is any chance I would get anything back from them?

As long as you're sure you're not still using their service (by forgetting to amend the dial-up settings), you can point out your oversight and ask for repayment. They'll probably make an offer of goodwill once they spot you've never accessed their service. Make sure you DO cancel it though!