• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBOS solicitors - "Particulars of Claim - unreasonable grounds"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please can someone help me with regards to the following? I am feeling really stressed and unprepared now - partly through my own ignorance and belief the bank would have paid up by now.

After sending a letter for a full refund to my bank based on an estimated amount they did not respond (not even to send copies of statements/charges within 14 days of the receipt of the letter if they disagreed with the claim). Consequently I made a claim via MCOL.

The bank's solicitor's have now responded - amongst other points - that the Particulars of Claim are unreasonable grounds, etc., and requesting full breakdown of the charges by 31 May else they will request the court strikes off my claim. I do not have copies of statements/charges for the past 6 years.

What is my best course of action? They have asked me to contact them and explain why I cannot provide the requested information by the 31 May (originally the date by which they had to enter a defence) - should I do this citing part of the template that I (stupidly) SHOULD have used on the Particular of Claim section, and request copies of all statements/charges through the Data Protection route?

I am also concerned they are going on about my contract with the bank and breach of contract. I have no copy of contact from when the accounts were opened. Could I request a copy? Should I request a copy?

I don't want to lose this valid claim as they bank is way out of order - prime example, November 2006 they charged me over £450 in one month!!!

As it currently stands the ESTIMATED claim on the MCOL form was for over £9000 - I know it is NOT this high as it is estimated. My concern is if this goes to court as it currently stands. Some posts/threads seem to indicate that if over £5000 and it goes to court it may go to a high court and not a county court and if I did/do lose I may be eligible for paying the banks legal fees. Have I screwed up? I made the claim through MCOL because I believed the limit for claim to be £100k (less a penny). I can't aford legal costs.

Now the banks have had one legal victory through the courts and I am (admittedly) not as prepared as I could/should be - I am worried I may lose my claim and (at worse) end up paying legal costs!!!

I am new to this site and this is my 1st post...please, some advice would be useful.

Thank you and good luck to one and all.

Mark

Please can someone help me with regards to the following? I am feeling really stressed and unprepared now - partly through my own ignorance and belief the bank would have paid up by now. Not a good start!!

After sending a letter for a full refund to my bank based on an estimated amount they did not respond (not even to send copies of statements/charges within 14 days of the receipt of the letter if they disagreed with the claim). Consequently I made a claim via MCOL. Where did you get the info to send an LBA straight away from?

The bank's solicitor's have now responded - amongst other points - that the Particulars of Claim are unreasonable grounds, etc., and requesting full breakdown of the charges by 31 May else they will request the court strikes off my claim. I do not have copies of statements/charges for the past 6 years.

What is my best course of action? They have asked me to contact them and explain why I cannot provide the requested information by the 31 May (originally the date by which they had to enter a defence) - should I do this citing part of the template that I (stupidly) SHOULD have used on the Particular of Claim section, and request copies of all statements/charges through the Data Protection route?

I am also concerned they are going on about my contract with the bank and breach of contract. I have no copy of contact from when the accounts were opened. Could I request a copy? Should I request a copy?

I don't want to lose this valid claim as they bank is way out of order - prime example, November 2006 they charged me over £450 in one month!!!

As it currently stands the ESTIMATED claim on the MCOL form was for over £9000 - I know it is NOT this high as it is estimated. My concern is if this goes to court as it currently stands. You will not be paid that amount. An estimation of charge amount is not enough evidence for a the court to make a decison on. Some posts/threads seem to indicate that if over £5000 and it goes to court it may go to a high court and not a county court and if I did/do lose I may be eligible for paying the banks legal fees.Claims under £5000 normally stay in the small claims (however some have gone into fast track) The high court is not an option at this stage, they only get involved much much later down the line if and wen the case is argued. Claims over £5K go to fast track, and yes you are lioable for the banks costs if you were to lose. Have I screwed up? In a word..Yes I made the claim through MCOL because I believed the limit for claim to be £100k (less a penny). I can't aford legal costs. No court action is without its risks, but if you do your research and understand what you are doing then it is only a small risk.

Now the banks have had one legal victory through the courts and I am (admittedly) not as prepared as I could/should be - I am worried I may lose my claim and (at worse) end up paying legal costs!!!

I am new to this site and this is my 1st post...please, some advice would be useful.

This is a very good example of what happens when the process is not followed or indeed advice not taken. I am glad you have posted as this will be a good story for all who think they do not need to understand what they are about to get involved with.

You need to send a DPA SAR immediately (see templates) You need to write to the solicitors and advise them you are postponing the action till you have the correct figure. Explain you had requested they contact you if the amount was incorrect and they declined to do so and so now you are making a formal request via DPA SAR for the information that they declined to send after your first letter. Write the same letter to the courts. The bank will probably request your claim to be struck out, hopefully the judge will be lenient and take your naievety to heart and refuse.

Then you need to complete the spreadsheet and start the process again. You need to be aware of why you are asking for the money back....what laws apply and which cases you can rely on. It is your money, your claim, we can only support and advise you. Hopefully this has given you a reality slap and you will now see there is more to your claim other than writing to your bank and asking for the money back!

Hope this helps

I agree with mrsfoot you must get that SAR off first thing Monday morning if you can (special delivery preferably).

The only plus so far is that the bank seem to be admitting that the charges were for a breach of contract ergo an unlawful penalty charge and not charges for a service.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks for the help, support and advice, guys. I have today sent off the SAR to the bank and have written a letter to their solicitors - not yet sent as I was after more advice.

The solicitors have requested more information (as posted) including section whereby they are trying to get me to admit to whether I believe I should have been charged or not, and if yes, how much do I believe I should have been charged!! Do I respond to this at all? If I respond should I agree that I should have been charged for being in breach of contract (that guy who lost ansswered "no" did he not??) and as for the chargeable amount just stick to the "reasonable" charge as quoted in the Acts?

Is it also advisible to highlight to the solicitors that I will need more time than the 31st May to respond with a breakdown of charges due to their client not supplying me (when requested) with copies of statements/charges, hence the need for me to request them now via SAR?

Should I send duplicate copies of letters to the court?

In their statement of defence I find it difficult not to respond on points they raise - should I refrain from responding apart from the specific request for information section?

Sorry for all the obvious(?) questions but I am feeling really overwhelmed - points about being unprepared accepted. If I am to not make this another victory for the banks, though, I could do with any help, advice and support that you can to make sure I am succesful and if nothing else, highlight my failings to alert others who are only just starting out.

Thanks to you all so far....

And to determine what is "reasonable" you may wish to ask them for a break down of their clients cost in relation to each breach of contract.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks for the help, support and advice, guys. I have today sent off the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to the bank and have written a letter to their solicitors - not yet sent as I was after more advice.

The solicitors have requested more information (as posted) including section whereby they are trying to get me to admit to whether I believe I should have been charged or not, and if yes, how much do I believe I should have been charged!! Do I respond to this at all? If I respond should I agree that I should have been charged for being in breach of contract (that guy who lost ansswered "no" did he not??) and as for the chargeable amount just stick to the "reasonable" charge as quoted in the Acts? For this section you do not have to show what is a reasonable charge. The Act states very clearly that if a penalty is excesive in nature then it becomes invalid and nothing is due. It is not your position to decide what is reasonable and what is not. Reply with something along the lines of.....With reference to your request of what my opinion of a reasonable charge is, this is not relative as it is not my position to declare what is a reasonable charge. I have made the application for XXXX to be refunded as it is clear under the UTCCR's and the OFT report that the amount charged was excessive and far outweighs any loss RBOS have incurred through my breach. However if you would like to declare your losses for each of my breaches, then I am more than happy to employ a Finance Analysist in order to do calculate the actual loss incurred and a "reasonable" charge for the loss. Please be aware that should this then go to court, you will be liable for the extra costs incurred.

Is it also advisible to highlight to the solicitors that I will need more time than the 31st May to respond with a breakdown of charges due to their client not supplying me (when requested) with copies of statements/charges, hence the need for me to request them now via SAR? Yes write them a letter saying you are requesting further time and send a copy to the court.

Should I send duplicate copies of letters to the court? Yes

In their statement of defence I find it difficult not to respond on points they raise - should I refrain from responding apart from the specific request for information section? Without seeing the defence this is difficult to answer but for now i would suggest only answering the points on info.

Sorry for all the obvious(?) questions but I am feeling really overwhelmed - points about being unprepared accepted. If I am to not make this another victory for the banks, though, I could do with any help, advice and support that you can to make sure I am succesful and if nothing else, highlight my failings to alert others who are only just starting out.

Thanks to you all so far....

I apologise if you felt my first response was hard.....however it is easy to make mistakes and these mistakes can be easily avoided if the correct work is done before jumping in. Dont worry, I'm sure this will turn around and you will get your refund with just a little bit of hard work. Just make sure you fuly understand the laws and cases...its that that wins the claims!!

Good luck

mrsfoot/rory32,

Thanks again for the advice and words of encouragement. Fingers crossed all will work out.

I have managed to track down (I'm useless with paperwork!!) about a year's worth of statements for the accounts for which I am claiming back charges on. Is it worthwhile sending copies of these - indicating the charges - to the banks solicitors and the court as "proof" of why I am claiming, what I am claiming and as a basis for my estimation to date until such time (IF!) the bank returns copies of my statements or lists of charges?

One of my biggest concerns at the moment is now I have been informed - through MCOL - that the case is going to court due to the defendant's defence, and my claim is estimated is that it will be pushed through on fast track and not through small claims that would make me eligible for their fees should I lose. Is there anyway I can request the small claims court? I know the estimate is much bigger than the real sum paid in fees but was worked out on the basis of having x number of statements and multiplying up to work out ann "estimated" figure.

Looking through the request for information again last night, the bank's solicitors have asked the following:

"In relation to each charge, please clarify the following: (a) is it the case of the claimant the same should not have been charged? (b) If yes; please explain why the claimant contends the same should not have been charged? © If no; is it the case of the claimant that the same should not have been charged in this amount? (d) If yes; please explain why the claimant contends that the same should not have been charged in this amount and identify the sum of the claimant contends should have been charged. (e) If no; please state the claimant's case.

In respect of the above, do I agree I should have been charged but contend the amount I have been charged and as for the identification of the sum, use the kind of wording as MRSFOOT has suggested?

4.1 Please specify the clause(s) pursuant to which the charges were applied;

4.2 Please specify whether the charges applied were due to a breach of contract by the claimant; DO I ANSWER YES??

4.3 Please identify in each case the particular breach of contact (by reference to the appropriate term(s) of the contract that the charge related to. DO I REFER THEM TO THE INSTANCES OF THE CHARGES ON THE STATEMENTS I DO HAVE?

5. In your claim you state that the charges are contrary to the UTCCR 1999.

6. Please specify all of the facts relied on by the defendant in support of the contentions in Para.5 above, and in particular please identify the contractual provision(s) that the claimant alleges are invalid by reference to the regulations.

Huh??

Once again, can't thank you both enough. I know some of this post MRSFOOT has kind of answered already but I though that I'd post the actual requirements by the solicitors and get it right this time!

Subscribing to this thread

I really hope you get this sorted and back on track Mazza, don't let them get to you. It's obviously a new tactic they are using, the crafty beggars are trying to set us traps now in the hope we will say NO to *breach of contract*. Will they stop at nothing? Why can't they just be honest and respectable and admit they are wrong in charging us these extortionate amounts:idea:

Good luck Mazza, please keep us posted.:)

mrsfoot/rory32,

Thanks again for the advice and words of encouragement. Fingers crossed all will work out.

I have managed to track down (I'm useless with paperwork!!) about a year's worth of statements for the accounts for which I am claiming back charges on. Is it worthwhile sending copies of these - indicating the charges - to the banks solicitors and the court as "proof" of why I am claiming, what I am claiming and as a basis for my estimation to date until such time (IF!) the bank returns copies of my statements or lists of charges? I woudl send these as a preliminary approach with an explanation that the others will folow after the banks has complied with the DPA SAR. DO NOT send originals and send by special next day delivery....costs a little extra but worth it

One of my biggest concerns at the moment is now I have been informed - through MCOL - that the case is going to court due to the defendant's defence, and my claim is estimated is that it will be pushed through on fast track and not through small claims that would make me eligible for their fees should I lose. Is there anyway I can request the small claims court? You can request small claims, however if the sum is over £5K it is unlikely to be granted. However read up on Civil Procedings Rules and prepare an argument in order to try keep in small claims. I know the estimate is much bigger than the real sum paid in fees but was worked out on the basis of having x number of statements and multiplying up to work out ann "estimated" figure. The date for the court hearing will take a whle to come through and even when it does chances are it wont be until at least 8 weeks as the Courts are extremely busy. So stop panicking, you will have time to get this sorted and an exact amount completed.

Looking through the request for information again last night, the bank's solicitors have asked the following:

"In relation to each charge, please clarify the following: (a) is it the case of the claimant the same should not have been charged? (b) If yes; please explain why the claimant contends the same should not have been charged? © If no; is it the case of the claimant that the same should not have been charged in this amount? (d) If yes; please explain why the claimant contends that the same should not have been charged in this amount and identify the sum of the claimant contends should have been charged. (e) If no; please state the claimant's case.

In respect of the above, do I agree I should have been charged but contend the amount I have been charged and as for the identification of the sum, use the kind of wording as MRSFOOT has suggested?

4.1 Please specify the clause(s) pursuant to which the charges were applied; In your terms and conditions, what clause states a charge will be added to your account for non payment of a cheque etc....that clause number will be your answer.

4.2 Please specify whether the charges applied were due to a breach of contract by the claimant; DO I ANSWER YES?? Yes they are a breach and therefore attract a charge

4.3 Please identify in each case the particular breach of contact (by reference to the appropriate term(s) of the contract that the charge related to. DO I REFER THEM TO THE INSTANCES OF THE CHARGES ON THE STATEMENTS I DO HAVE? On the spreadsheet add a column headed "breach of clause" and under that heading state the clause which has been breached according to your contract with the bank.

5. In your claim you state that the charges are contrary to the UTCCR 1999. Schedule 2.1 (e) is the part you need to refer to for this point. State it word for word and then explain how it applies.

6. Please specify all of the facts relied on by the defendant in support of the contentions in Para.5 above, and in particular please identify the contractual provision(s) that the claimant alleges are invalid by reference to the regulations. Use the UTCCR's and OFT report for this section and apply them to the charges.

Huh??

Once again, can't thank you both enough. I know some of this post MRSFOOT has kind of answered already but I though that I'd post the actual requirements by the solicitors and get it right this time!

Ok i think that covers most of it. If you need a hand writing the response please contact me and Ill give you a hand.

mrsfoot, thanks again for all the advice and support. You most probably WILL be getting a hand in writing my response. I can't seem to help worrying about this. I never realised when making the claim at the courts that it would be likely to go thru fasttrack and not the small claims track. I think I got myself confused by the fact that it said the claim could be up to £99,999.99 via MCOL. The thought of actually going to court is a scary prospect for me and I honestly have a strong feeling that RBOS will see this thru to court with me.

I contacted Northampton Court y'day to ask about the allocation, telling them that although it is an estimated claim that the real amount will probably be less than £5k and therefore should stay in the small claims court. The woman I spoke to was very helpful and courteous to me only confused me even more when telling me how I could fill out form N224(?) and apply to the district judge to have this claim cancelled off and a new one issued with the accurate claim amount, etc., etc. My head is spinning with it all now.

I feel like I have made so many errors (small or large) along the way that I feel like giving it up. Guess I'll just have to try my best - with your help!!

Fasttrack? If it goes down this route and the worse case scenario happened would I be liable to £thousands of legal fees "accrued" by RBOS with their solicitors or is there still some sort of cap? This REALLY worries me as I know (or believe) that this would not be an issue if it stays in the small claims court. Probably end up having a coronary before this is sorted!!!!!

mrsfoot, thanks again for all the advice and support. You most probably WILL be getting a hand in writing my response. I can't seem to help worrying about this. I never realised when making the claim at the courts that it would be likely to go thru fasttrack and not the small claims track. I think I got myself confused by the fact that it said the claim could be up to £99,999.99 via MCOL. The thought of actually going to court is a scary prospect for me and I honestly have a strong feeling that RBOS will see this thru to court with me.

Very doubtful they will attend as they understand too many cases are being won and they cant justify but always best to be on safe side and have everything neat.

I contacted Northampton Court y'day to ask about the allocation, telling them that although it is an estimated claim that the real amount will probably be less than £5k and therefore should stay in the small claims court. The woman I spoke to was very helpful and courteous to me only confused me even more when telling me how I could fill out form N224(?) and apply to the district judge to have this claim cancelled off and a new one issued with the accurate claim amount, etc., etc. My head is spinning with it all now.

N224 is like a change of circumstances, it will give the Judge an insight into the error and be able to change the amount to a true account rather than an estimated. I think it costs £35 and this is not claimable from Bank as with some other court costs are. I would do it asap

I feel like I have made so many errors (small or large) along the way that I feel like giving it up. Guess I'll just have to try my best - with your help!!

Fasttrack? If it goes down this route and the worse case scenario happened would I be liable to £thousands of legal fees "accrued" by RBOS with their solicitors or is there still some sort of cap? This REALLY worries me as I know (or believe) that this would not be an issue if it stays in the small claims court. Probably end up having a coronary before this is sorted!!!!!

Fast tracked has capped costs depending on the amount claimed. However until you get a true reading of the amount to be claimed its hard to say. Between 5 and 10k i think it is capped to £500 plus a further £250 for a solicitor to attend on the banks behalf

I dont thin you will have the coronory..more likely to be me lol however as long as you get all your statments and dig out a leaflet with the terms and conditions of the contract account on then you should be fine

• Haha 1

Sent off the info (v. careful what I said and how I said it - taking advice from many of the posts on here) to the solicitors today (copies to the court). See what happens next. Waiting on info from the bank now. Gonna take your advice, mrsfoot, and apply via the 224 to the district judge to amend the Particulars of Claim - trouble is without the bank info I can't amend the claim amount.

I have also requested a copy of the T&C's from the bank/bank's solicitors for both accounts from when they were opened and any amendments since. If I don't get these, are there any links in here to any - havent come across any so far?

Last quick question - it is a long weekend so want us all to enjoy it!! - am I eligible to claim th interest the bank has charged on O/Ds. Some posts seem to indicate that you can and others seem less convinced?

Hope everyone has a great "BANK" holiday weekend!!! :o)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

There have been some interesting developments re. my claim.

1. The case was allocated without an AQ to the Small Claims Track at Liverpool County Court. I paid the Allocation fee and asked them roughly when I could expect a court date as I was concerned I hadn't had all the info back from the bank. I was told it will be sometime in August.

2. On Wednesday (13th June) I got back full copies of statements from the bank for the past 6 years for both accounts. I was right insomuch as the claim amount being way over estimated. The total amount of charges adds up to around £4,100 (I am not claiming interest on the amount).

3. The following day I received a letter from Sandy Watt offering a "good will gesture" of £3,092 as full and final settlement of the claim. This amount equals the amount owed on the joint account but leaves approx. £1,141 owing on my own account.

I would like to be able to accept this amount as part refund by the bank for charges on the joint account and (if necessary - unless a further offer is made) amend my claim from the estimated amount on both accounts to an actual amount on my own account. I know I can do this by paying the £35 fee and amending the Particulars of Claim.

If I try to do this, how do I best go about it? Don't my own conditions effectively make it a rejection of their offer in essence?

What are my chances (insofar as anyone can best guess) of the bank refunding this offer while I claim the balance?

I have tried finding similar cases in the forums but most appear to be about rejecting the offer and pursuing the full amount. I would like to be able to try and accept this as part payment and pursue the balance.

I am wary that they may just rescind the offer if I try attaching conditions of my own.

I have about 7 weeks left to respond but would like to get this resolved asap, so (once again! :) any help/advice would be welcome).

"With reference to your request of what my opinion of a reasonable charge is, this is not relative as it is not my position to declare what is a reasonable charge. I have made the application for XXXX to be refunded as it is clear under the UTCCR's and the OFT report that the amount charged was excessive and far outweighs any loss RBOS have incurred through my breach. However if you would like to declare your losses for each of my breaches, then I am more than happy to employ a Finance Analysist in order to do calculate the actual loss incurred and a "reasonable" charge for the loss. Please be aware that should this then go to court, you will be liable for the extra costs incurred."

Oh my god I love you!! hehe I needed this badly as I was stuck on this one, brilliant answer thankyou mrsfoot, but one question, it asks for this answer in respect of each charge but if it applies to all charges can I just make it a general answer for all of the charges instead of writing the same thing for each charge.

4.1 Please specify the clause(s) pursuant to which the charges were applied; In your terms and conditions, what clause states a charge will be added to your account for non payment of a cheque etc....that clause number will be your answer.

4.2 Please specify whether the charges applied were due to a breach of contract by the claimant; DO I ANSWER YES?? Yes they are a breach and therefore attract a charge

4.3 Please identify in each case the particular breach of contact (by reference to the appropriate term(s) of the contract that the charge related to. DO I REFER THEM TO THE INSTANCES OF THE CHARGES ON THE STATEMENTS I DO HAVE? On the spreadsheet add a column headed "breach of clause" and under that heading state the clause which has been breached according to your contract with the bank.

5. In your claim you state that the charges are contrary to the UTCCR 1999. Schedule 2.1 (e) is the part you need to refer to for this point. State it word for word and then explain how it applies.

6. Please specify all of the facts relied on by the defendant in support of the contentions in Para.5 above, and in particular please identify the contractual provision(s) that the claimant alleges are invalid by reference to the regulations. Use the UTCCR's and OFT report for this section and apply them to the charges.

Hehe I love you even more now think thats me sorted for my answers thankyou so much!!! and for Mazza, dnt let them get to you I dnt want you or any of us to join the very few cases that have not succeded, Good luck Mazza!!

Thanks for the good wishes Paulomarto. Good luck to you, too!

===============================================

Hi,

I was all ready accept a victory in part today an accept a settlement offer by the bank of just over £3k on a claim worth £4.1k (plus costs) to end the worry and stress and get everything back to normal esp. as there are no conditions to the offer.....then I got home and found a letter from the Court with directions from the Judge and now I'm not so sure. It could sound promising to continue with the claim but worried it may mean the judge is fed up hearing such claims and is merely following protocol and allowing a moment of glory before voting in favour of the bank.....HELP!!!

District Judge J****** has considered the statements of case and allocation questionnaires filed and allocated the claim to the small claims track.

No AQ was ever sent to me. The case was allocated to Small Claims Track without one. Should I be concerned no AQ was ever used? Could the bank's solicitors have sent something to the court in defence without me knowing which is why (POINT 2 below) the case is expected to only be heard for approx. 10 mins?

1. The Claimant do within 21 days of the date of this Order, serve a schedule setting out the amount of the individual charges, the dates they were applied to the account and the reasons given for such charges.

The POC needed amending with a breakdown of charges and an actual claim amount, do I now need NOT worry about amending the POC or should I do this as well as conform with the Judge's directions? Do I send a copy to the bank and their solicitor? I'm concerned about the POC as I didn't stick faithfully to the template in the forums and it states I am claiming "illegal bank penalty charges" - could this wording be enough to get the bank's solicitors to have the case struck off???

2. The hearing of the claim will take place at 14:00 on the 7 August 2007 at Liverpool County Court [court address] and should take no longer than 10 minutes.

Any feelings/ideas on this? No longer than 10 mins??? Does this sound like a good aspect to the case (i.e. surely the bank can not adequately defend itself in this short a time?)? OR could this be an indication the courts are getting fed up with claims like this and end up throwing it out in favour of the bank? Such a short anticipated hearing time both elates and worries me.

In order to utilise judicial time more effectively this matter has been listed with a number of similar cases.

Er, hello! Is this good or bad? Could it be a sign the Judge is likely to judge in favour of the claimants or the banks? They seem to be rushing them through now which does give me some cause for concern.

ANY THOUGHTS?!???!!

mazza I have heard that due to the huge number of claims going through the system claims are being "bunched" together and I have read in a post that in the AQ, if you had got one, then it is usual to state that you only expect the whole hearing to last about 10 minutes so I think because so many claims have gone ahead they just accept the time of 10 minutes as standard. In short it seems to me that the courts have speeded the process along due to the huge amount of claims going through the system by accepting the 10 minute court hearing and putting it through the small claims track automatically. I rang the court about my claim today and the lady said that my case has been transfered to my local court which would also be Liverpool County Court (I expect) and I too have not recieved the AQ and have been told that I would find out the date within the next few weeks so sort of in the same boat.

As far as the POC Im not sure about that one but the help desk for MCOL is very helpful and the people on the other end are very understanding to any problems

phone them on 0845 601 5935 mon-fri 9:00am til 5:00pm

Hi Paulomarto,

Thanks for your post. Didn't realise your claim is likely to be heard at Liverpool County Court - good luck with it all. Shame the banks feel the need to waste people's time and money when they have no real intention to defend anyway and then settle (more often than not) before the hearing.

I did try phoning one of the clerks at the court today as they were helpful on Mondday when I spoke to them.

I am thinking now of sending the info the Judge has requested (copy to the bank/bank's solicitors and amending the POC). I do still need to get the rest of the court bundle together. I then intend writing/emailing Sandy Watt and asking if they will offer a revised settlement figure or risk going to court and losing costs as well. If they offered in the region of 85-90% (less costs) I would most probably settle to save the hassle and (albeit slight) danger of a court hearing. Guess they won't do that straight off though and so need to be prepared to go to court if necesary. Really need to look long and hard at what I need to include in the court bundle and confirm if I need to submit a copy of documents to the bank's solicitors.

Keep me informed of your claim here and I'll do likewise. Good luck!

Hi I have something very similar to paulomarto & mazza71 but im having trouble replying to them could someone help me please!!

In my request for further information and clarification from Cobbetts I have these questions to answer...

3 In your claim you state that the Claim: "is based on the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999"

4 Please specify all of the facts relied on by the Claimant in support of the contentions in paragraph 3 above, and in particular please identify the regulations of the Unfair Term in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999 ("the Regulations") relied upon by the Claimant in alleging that the contractual provision(s) referred to are unenforceable.

Hope all your claims are going well, if someone could please help me formulate an answer to this question it would be much appreciated...