Jump to content

Debt as result of fraud

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5244 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi all


I was received a letter this morning from Wescot Credit Services with regard to a debt owed to Readers Digest. I found this a bit confusing as I have no recollection of ever buying anything from this company.


I went to the Readers Digest website and registered with them using the client ref. number from the above mentioned letter, this gave me access to an account in my name. The address recorded there was my previous address which I vacated over a year before I was supposed to have ordered the item from Readers Digest.


I have reason to believe that my previous landlord may be responsible for this.


I did not order this item, nor did I receive it as it was obviously mailed to my previous address.


How do I proceed with clearing up this mess?


Any advice will be gratefully received. :confused:

Link to post
Share on other sites



I would think that your best course of action would be to telephone the police as a criminal offence has been commited (obtaining goods by deception)


I presume that you have evidence of the date that you moved into your new address.


Once you have a crime refernce number you can write a letter to the DCA quoting it and that the account is in dispute.


Maybe if this isnt he right thing to do other members will be able to offer more advice.


I think the best thing is, in any case, to make sure you keep everything in writing (recorded delivery is best!) so you have records of everything - dont be tempted to telephone them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, as previously stated bring the police into this.


Wescot won't go away without a fight either. So you're going to have to stand up to them. Invite them straight off to take you to court and tell them that you will defend and counterclaim any action they pursue (DP Act).


When you've done the police thing, give Wescot the crime number and tell them in terms not uncertain that they must never contact you again or you'll start an action against them under the Data Protection Act.


Good luck, regards, Dave.

If my post was helpful don't forget to click the star!

Advice is offered freely, without liability and without prejudice.

If in any doubt professional legal advice should be sought.


I do not profess to be in any way legally trained, I am a big

oily truck driver and all I know has been learned within the

Consumer Action Group.





Trying to stop smoking?



A dummies guide to the forums







Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...