• Tweets

• Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and thank you for concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Stornoway v Citicards incl Contractual Int & Pre 6 Years

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5946 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I live in Scotland but i'm claiming in England by using a Mailbox I've set up as a correspondence address. The story so far ........

17 Dec 06 - Sent SAR

04 Jan 07 - Request for ID rec'd and returned

28 Feb 07 - Statements received

07 Mar 07 - Prelim sent

26 Mar 07 - LBA sent

30 Mar 07 - Decline letter rec'd (no offer)

10 Apr 07 - MCOL submitted

18 Apr 07 - Claim Acknowledged

01 May 07 - I offered to settle at a modest discount (rejected 8/5/07)

01 May 07 - Usual standard defence received

05 May 07 - AQ returned under new allocation strategy (details below)

Claim is for (approx figures)

- 1100.00 charges

- 1300.00 compound purchase interest (23.6%)

- 1300.00 compound contractual interest (at 23.6% purchase int rate)

- 3700.00 TOTAL

I'm really enjoying this whole process and whilst I would be delighted to settle out of court to avoid wasting court time, cant wait until I have my day with the infamous Mr Smith. Their claim of £12.88 costs is absolutely laughable and has holes in it bigger than the Mersey Tunnel. My brother's new girlfriend is a barrister who is now helping me in the process so roll on my day in Morpeth & Berwick Court !

• Haha 1

All comments are my personal views - if in doubt then seek professional advice. If you think i've helped then please tip my scales.

My Particulars of Claim :

1. The Claimant has had a credit card account ("the Account") with the Defendant which has been open since before May 1999 and remains open.

2. During the period in which the Account has been operating the Defendant debited numerous charges to the Accounts in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The Claimant understands that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimant.

3. A list of the charges applied is attached to these particulars of claim.

4. The Claimant contends that:

a) The charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999), the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and the common law.

5. The claimant claims compound interest on the amounts claimed, using the rate and method as applied by the defendant to monies it is owed. A schedule of the charges and interest calculated is annexed to the Particulars of Claim. The claimant’s ground for seeking restitution of the compounded contractual rate of interest is that the defendant would be unjustly enriched if the claimant's entitlement was limited to the statutory rate of interest in that the defendant has had use of the sums and would have used these sums to re-lend at commercial compounded rates. Additionally, the Claimant has not had the benefit of the sums and has therefore been unable to use said sums to repay borrowing elsewhere.

6. Alternatively, if the court decides that the claimant is not entitled to the contractual rate of interest (as outlined at point 5 above), then the claimant claims statutory interest under s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984.

7. Accordingly the Claimant claims:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges on the Account in the sum of £1,100

b) the removal of any prejudicial information which the Defendant bank may have passed to third parties in relation to the Account and in particular the removal of all Default Notices registered with credit reference agencies since this was caused solely by the level of disproportionate penalty charges. The Claimant’s request is made under the Data Protection Act 1998, section 14, which gives the power to the Court to order the removal of inaccurate personal data.

c) a refund of all interest paid on the said charges amounting to £1,300

d) Compound interest on the said charges at the contractual rate of 23.60% of £1,300,

e) In the alternative to point d above, interest under s.69 County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of 85p.

f) Court costs;

8. Alternatively, if the charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under S.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act (1982).

I believe that the contents of these particulars of claim are true.

All comments are my personal views - if in doubt then seek professional advice. If you think i've helped then please tip my scales.

I'm following the new strategy for Allocation Questionaire's (no response from judge yet):

In the Morpeth and Berwick County Court

Claim number XXXXX

Between

Stornoway - Claimant

and

Citifinancial Europe PLC - Defendant

Draft Order for Directions

The Claimant shall within 14 days of service of this order send to the Defendant and to the Court:

a) A schedule setting out each charge repayment of which is sought, showing the date, amount, and reason given (if any) for that charge being made;

b) Copies of any statement or other document relied upon as showing that each and every charge has been made;

c) A statement of evidence of all matters relied upon as tending to show that the charges are irrecoverable as penalties or otherwise;

d) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.

If the Claimant fails to comply with this order, the claim will be struck out without further order.

2. The Defendant shall within 14 days thereafter file and serve a response to the Claimant's schedule, stating in respect of each item claimed;

a) Pursuant to what contractual provision such charge was made, producing a copy of the contractual document relied upon;

b) Whether such charge is accepted to be a penalty, and if not why not;

c) If such charge is alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions (whether or not such action is treated as a breach of contract between the parties), all facts and matters intended to be relied upon as showing that such was a proper estimate of such loss, and all evidence to be adduced at trial as to what the true cost of dealing with the matter was;

d) If such charge is not alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions then facts and matters intended to be relied upon showing the basis upon which the charge was calculated and all evidence to be adduced at trial as to show that the charge was fair and reasonable.

e) Any witness statements.

f) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.

If the Defendant fails to comply with this order, the Defence will be struck out without further order.

All advice, support, comments and help gratefully received !

Hi Gizmo, thanks for calling in !

Two points in their defence mention interest;

10. The Defendant avers that the Claimant's claim is not a Moneyclaim but a damages action and further avers that the Claimant's interest calculation is not applicable to this action or, if it is applicable, that it is wrong and the Defendant puts the Claimant to proof that this interest is owed. Specifically, as the Defendant is a credit instituition and not a deposit taker, it cannot set off default fees against money held on account. As such it cannot be held liable for interest on a notionally paid debt rather than actual one. It is averred by the Defendant that it is only from the time of any such payment that interest could have accrued on such payment as if it were a debt.

11. Further or alternatively, the Defendant avers that as this is a debt action then the statutory interest rate should apply rather than the compounded interest rate claimed as this contractual rate was agreed between the parties (LIKE I HAD A CHOICE IN WHAT INTEREST RATE THEY APPLIED !!!), is neither a penalty nor a default fee and was voluntariy incurred by the Claimant as a consequence of his breaches. It has not been subject to any OFT ruling or case law and the Defendant avers that the Court has no jurisdiction to pronounce on that element of the contractual agreement freely entered into by the Claimant.

Many thanks. I've had a lot of success in other claims so far and I'm treating Citicards as my "wildcard" - I'm happy to gamble on this one to an extent but obviously give it my very best shot. If nothing else I love the tone and content of Brian's letters - they are fantastic, like something from a bad 60's sitcom.

Looking forward to my battle !!! Will keep you posted.

Cheers.

• Haha 1

You know - reading a thread which is totally disconnected with the reader's own fight(s) is fascinating. The *dogged* (and pioneering) work done by others who've been "at this" for longer than others is a great encouragement>

Stick with your "wildcard".

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

Stornoway, which spreadsheet did you use for your calculations?

I created my own - happy to share with you if you want a copy (PM me your address).

Hi there love to see your spreadsheet how many ci claims have you been successful with is this the letter in your thread yo used for all ? Regards Gaz

Gaz - send me a private message with your email address and i'll send some docs through.

Cheers

Well .....the judge has taken his time but finally received response to Allocation Questionnaire and slightly disappointed that only standard directions were received so now have to wait until 13 August for my day in court. Still it does give me time to enjoy my summer holiday and fully prepare for court.

Keep at it!

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

• 2 weeks later...

love your style and "patter" Stornoway, I am using the MCOL sytem for a claim against the A&L. I would like too subsribe to your thread, I'm sure you will overcome any tactics thrown delivered to you.

All the best..............William (From sunny Saltcoats on the west coast) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to get my court bundle together - ideally I want to get it out the way before I go on summer hols. Have noticed a few mistakes in the Citi defence document including the fact that they claim to have paid me c.£500 being the difference between the charges and the OFT £12 - this is simply not true, I 've had nothing off them so far. I'll enjoy highlighting the mistakes to the judge.

love your style and "patter" Stornoway, I am using the MCOL sytem for a claim against the A&L. I would like too subsribe to your thread, I'm sure you will overcome any tactics thrown delivered to you.

All the best..............William (From sunny Saltcoats on the west coast) :)

Thanks William - your support is appreciated !

Starting to get my court bundle together - ideally I want to get it out the way before I go on summer hols. Have noticed a few mistakes in the Citi defence document including the fact that they claim to have paid me c.£500 being the difference between the charges and the OFT £12 - this is simply not true, I 've had nothing off them so far. I'll enjoy highlighting the mistakes to the judge.

Can you let me have an e-mail address as I have stuff you must include.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Hi Gizmo

Have sent a PM with my address.

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Everything sorted out in your Court Bundle?

Enjoy your hols.

If it comes to my HBOSplc claim going to court - I'll have to delay that happy moment until after August! (Hols time for me!)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Dusary - love the new avatar BTW.

Court bundle was delayed until after hols but in the interim period both Barclaycard and First Direct settled claims on the day before court (both with contractual interest) - i'm now on a roll !

The court bundle is almost ready to go and its long at 112 pages. I want to do a little more research on claiming contractual interest so may add another case law example if I can find something relevant.

I have also written to the court to ask if the allocated time for the case can be increased from 10mins to 2 hours.

Here is what I have in the bundle so far;

Documents

Description Pages

Correspondence 1 - 8

Statements 9 - 55

Latest Schedule of Charges 56 - 57

Relevant Case Law 58 - 60

Early Day Motion from Houses of Parliament 61

Dunlop v New Garage 62 – 63

UTCCR 1999 64 – 74

UCTA 1977 75 - 83

SOGA 1982 84 – 96

OFT Statement Summary 97 – 99

Copy Terms and Conditions 100 – 103

Sheldon v Outhwaite 104 – 137

Disclosure Orders 138

Response to Citicard Defence 139 - 142

• 2 weeks later...

Ooooohhhhh Good Luck Stornoway

Your Documents for your court bundle look very impressive.

I have just received my statements from Citicards.

took ages to get them through, requested early May.

I am currently claiming from A&L at the moment,

began way back in March.

but will begin on Citicards shortly.

They don't have a good reputation.

looking at what the moderators have to say about them on here at the top of the forum.

So wishing you all the best

alice in nodland (almost !)

xx

just going up to bedfordshire

nightie night

Thanks - Alice Rose. Give me a shout if you need any help with your claim.