• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MFPA vs MBNA

mfpa
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Do you have a CCJ for this account?

No CCJ, no charging order!

They are threatening to "pursue a county court action ... and after obtaining a CCJ ... ask the court to issue a charging order".

The alleged debt is nearly £6k. They have not replied yet to my CCA request in three and a half months.

Halifax (current accounts, credit card, old mortgage, secured loan)

thread here

MBNA (three credit cards)

thread here

firstdirect (a current account, two mortgage accounts, old loans, old credit card)

they've sold my current account. thread here.

Royal Mail

Claim issued by former employer Royal Mail, thread here.

I counterclaimed and won. They paid in full.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats your defence, the fact they have not complied with the CCA - so even if they did get a CCJ you could get it set aside.

Me Vs AA/Blair Oliver - Defaulted on CCA, Committed Criminal Offence, started chasing payment

Me Vs Great Universal - Wrote off the 2k balance, couldnt supply docs

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/74209-me-littlewoods-catalogue.html

My Friend Vs Lowell Portfolio - Balance written off, all action stopped!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75075-my-friend-lowell-victory.html

My Friend Vs Empire Catalogue - Balance Cleared

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75713-my-friend-empire-droyds.html

They are threatening to "pursue a county court action ... and after obtaining a CCJ ... ask the court to issue a charging order".

The alleged debt is nearly £6k. They have not replied yet to my CCA request in three and a half months.

Hi,

This is probably just bull***t! They are trying to intimidate you! Like Kenny says: No CCA = No CCJ = No charging order!

So, if they do start proceedings against you, then you must defend! You will get lots of help from the people on this site if needs be.

In the meantime, they are trying to enforce the agreement whilst in default of your CCA request. Therefore it is time to report them to Trading Standards, OFT etc. Include copies of all letters etc with your complaint!

You could also send a letter to MBNA, pointing out their misgivings!

Something along the lines of:

I refer to my letters dated xxxxxxxx 2007 which was delivered via recorded delivery to your offices on xxxxxxxxx 2007, and my follow up letter dated xxxxxxxxx 2007.

In my letter of I made a formal request for a copy of the signed, fully executed credit agreement for the above numbered xxxxxxxx account under section 77(1) and section 78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act. In addition a statement of my account should have been sent along with any other document mentioned in the credit agreement.

The Consumer Credit Act allows 12 working days for this request to be carried out before your company enter into a default situation. If the request is not satisfied after a further 30 calendar days, Your company commit an offence. These time limits expired on xxxxxxxx 2007 and xxxxxxxx 2007 respectively.

As you are no doubt aware subsection (6) states:

If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)

(a) He is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement; and

(b) If the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

Therefore as at xxxxxxx 2007 this account became unenforceable at law and it is now my intention to refer this matter to the enforcement authorities.

Good luck, Jeff.

• 1 month later...

Today I get two letters from MBNA saying:-

October 05,2007

Dear Mr ******

Account:**** **** **** ****

Your outstanding balance due under the above account has been sold to Link Financial-Lin.

Link Financial-Lin's address is:

PO BOX 30095

LONDON

SE1 7WU

Tel: 0800 0644499

All enquiries regarding this account, including accurate balance information, together with future payments, should be made directly to this company.

Yours sincerely

Matthew McGrath

Head of customer assistance

The account numbers given on the letters are 16-digit numbers that match no more than 7 digits of any of my 3 MBNA credit cards.

MBNA have only replied to one of the three CCA requests they received in May (see post 4 of this thread) and one of these letters has the right first few digits for that account number.

thread here

thread here

firstdirect (a current account, two mortgage accounts, old loans, old credit card)

Royal Mail

Today I get two letters from MBNA saying:-

October 05,2007

Dear Mr ******

Account:**** **** **** ****

Your outstanding balance due under the above account has been sold to Link Financial-Lin.

Link Financial-Lin's address is:

PO BOX 30095

LONDON

SE1 7WU

Tel: 0800 0644499

All enquiries regarding this account, including accurate balance information, together with future payments, should be made directly to this company.

Yours sincerely

Matthew McGrath

Head of customer assistance

The account numbers given on the letters are 16-digit numbers that match no more than 7 digits of any of my 3 MBNA credit cards.

MBNA have only replied to one of the three CCA requests they received in May (see post 4 of this thread) and one of these letters has the right first few digits for that account number.

Hello mfpa,

Do you have all of your statements for your accounts yet?

Jeff.

Do you have all of your statements for your accounts yet?

No. Having received no reply at all to two of my CCA requests and unsatisfactory reply to the third, I got sidetracked into other things and did not get round to sending SAR. I had better make use of the £10 postal order I have had for five months.

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

How's this for b***s***?

This relates to a VISA card dating back to mid 1980s, before Girobank was sold to Alliance and Leicester, let alone MBNA acquiring the card business.

th_mbna_aandl_1.jpg th_mbna_aandl_2.jpg th_mbna_aandl_3.jpg

th_mbna_aandl_4.jpg th_mbna_aandl_5.jpg th_mbna_aandl_6.jpg

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

How's this for b***s***?

This relates to a VISA card dating back to mid 1980s, before Girobank was sold to Alliance and Leicester, let alone MBNA acquiring the card business.

th_mbna_aandl_1.jpg th_mbna_aandl_2.jpg th_mbna_aandl_3.jpg

th_mbna_aandl_4.jpg th_mbna_aandl_5.jpg th_mbna_aandl_6.jpg

Hi,

What a load of rubbish!

That's just a generic copy of the T's and C's, if you ask me!

Regards, Jeff.

Two letters from Link Financial today, referencing MBNA account numbers that are actually correct.

th_mbna_Link_financial_1.jpg

One of those accounts they have not replied to my CCA request delivered in May. The other one they sent the "agreement" and recent T&Cs in post 12 of this thread.

Obviously, it is not in order for MBNA to pass information about these disputed accounts to third parties, let alone to sell the debt.

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

so Link have purchased the debt from MBNA,

they will probably try the old "weve purchased the debt but non of the responsibilities under s136 Law of Property Act 1925" which is complete Ball Hooks

They need to be informed this account is in dispute and that MBNA have failed to comply with your CCA request therefore the Account is currently unenforcable under the Consumer Credit Act as laid out in s78(6)

should they be suicidial and try to take this to court you have a complete defence under S127 CCA 1974

Basically they are up ***** Creek without a paddle;)

Looks like link have wasted their money:D

Regards

paul

• 4 weeks later...

They need to be informed this account is in dispute and that MBNA have failed to comply with your CCA request therefore the Account is currently unenforcable under the Consumer Credit Act as laid out in s78(6)

should they be suicidial and try to take this to court you have a complete defence under S127 CCA 1974

Thanks. I hope that's the case for account where they sent the "agreement" and recent T&Cs in post 12 of this thread as well as for the one where they have not bothered at all.

I have not got around to writing to Link yet as my Dad died of a kidney problem a month ago after just 5 days in hospital, preceeded by a week at home on antibiotiocs for a urinary tract infection. Dad was the main carer for my Mum, who has Alzheimer's disease and has now moved into a nursing home as she needs 24-hour care. The day after moving in, she fell down and broke a hip whilst on a visit to a garden centre. The surgery has been successful and she is recovering but keeps forgetting she has recently had a hip operation, so she tries to walk without any support and falls over. Yesterday, Mum was discharged from hospital and is back at her nursing home - at least she now has carpeted floors if she falls. Also yesterday, we finished clearing out Mum and Dad's house and handed back the keys.

I received a letter today from Equidebt, who claim to now own my third MBNA account, the one where the reply to my CCA non-compliance letter was the rubbish in post 32 of this thread, so now I have three letters to write to DCAs about MBNA madness. (2 to Link and 1 to Equidebt.)

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

keep your chin up, things will come right in the end.

kpr

Me Vs AA/Blair Oliver - Defaulted on CCA, Committed Criminal Offence, started chasing payment

Me Vs Great Universal - Wrote off the 2k balance, couldnt supply docs

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/74209-me-littlewoods-catalogue.html

My Friend Vs Lowell Portfolio - Balance written off, all action stopped!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75075-my-friend-lowell-victory.html

My Friend Vs Empire Catalogue - Balance Cleared

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/75713-my-friend-empire-droyds.html

• 3 months later...

Hi MFPA

Hope you mum is on the mend. How are things going?

Have you managed to send anything to Link and Equidebt yet?

I'm in a similar situation - with and A&L/MBNA card signed for in 93 - missing T&Cs and loads of prescribed terms.

best wishes Redsue

PLEASE sign this petition to reduce amount of time CRAs hold your data

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/CreditRA

I HATE MBNA :evil::-x:mad::-x

• 2 weeks later...
Hi MFPA

Hope you mum is on the mend.

Thanks. She's settled in fairly well but still sometimes asks when dad is coming back or if she can go home. Walking reasonably with her zimmer frame but still very slow and often drags the foot of her good leg if not reminded to move it forward. She was on good form today but tired.

How are things going?

Have you managed to send anything to Link and Equidebt yet?

I'm in a similar situation - with and A&L/MBNA card signed for in 93 - missing T&Cs and loads of prescribed terms.

best wishes Redsue

I sent them

21st November 2007

Your reference: ******

Dear Sir/Madam

In reply to your recent correspondence, I refer you to my letter dated **** May 2007 which was delivered by Recorded Delivery to MBNA’s offices on **** May 2007.

That letter was a formal request under Sections 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for a true copy of any properly executed credit agreement that exists in relation to reference ****************..

The Consumer Credit Act allows 12 working days for this request to be carried out before your client enters into a default situation. If the request is not satisfied after a further 30 calendar days, your client commits an offence. These time limits expired on **** June 2007 and **** July 2007 respectively.

As you are no doubt aware Section 78(6) states:

If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1):-

(a) He is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement; and

(b) If the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

Therefore as at 12th July 2007 this account became unenforceable at law and it is now my intention to refer this matter to the enforcement authorities.

It is my belief that your continued pursuance of this matter also constitutes an offence under Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, as well as offences under various sections of the Data Protection Act 1998.

Any default notices or adverse comments recorded on my credit reference file must be immediately removed. Note this is to be a complete deletion and not merely an amendment.

Failure to respond positively to this letter within fourteen days of receipt will result in litigation or/and other enforcement action being considered without further notice.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

Yours faithfully

I do not recall any replies from Link.

Equidebt confirmed receipt of my letter, "the contents of which have been noted. This matter has been referred to our vendor for further instructions. If in the meantime you need to contact us..."

As Link and Equidebt seem to be ignoring me at the moment I am not bothering them either.

Bank of Scotland issued a county court claim against me 3 weeks ago, after "Blair, Oliver and Scott" passed my case back when I pointed out they were in default of my CCA request. That thread is here.

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

• 1 month later...
I do not recall any replies from Link.

Link broke their silence by phoning me at work twice yesterday. They made no attempt to verify who I was before trying to talk about "one of your MBNA accounts that has been assigned to us".

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

Link broke their silence

Link have apparantly come out of hibernation. Yesterday I received FOUR letters from them, all dated and franked 24th April. Two identical pairs of letters, one for each of the two credit card accounts they "purchased" from MBNA last October (at which time all my MBNA accounts were in dispute).

They have also sent the original application forms (but no T&Cs) for both agreements. One of these was previously sent by MBNA last July (that time they sent a recent set of T&Cs) and I posted it earlier in this thread. The other was not sent before.

I can see no mention of the payment protection insurance I was paying.

The only previous letter I've received from Link was this one last October.

I'm posting scans of one copy of the letters and both application forms. I should appreciate any thoughts on what Link are planning to do, on whether these application forms could be enforced as credit agreements, and any other relevant observations. What (if anything) should I do now? Maybe write and inform them that no notice has been served?

____Letter 1________Letter 2

th_mbna_fa_20080426_01_www.jpg th_mbna_fa_20080426_02_www.jpg

________Application Form A

th_mbna_fa_20080426_03_www.jpg th_mbna_fa_20080426_04_www.jpg

_______Application Form B

th_mbna_amivo_20080426_03_www.jpg th_mbna_amivo_20080426_04_www.jpg

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

I would guess they are planning to take you to court for payment.

Well I guess I can do nothing about that. Perhaps I should start token £1 monthly payments? If I had any money available I would pay my mortgage arrears before offering anything to Link - I borrowed nothing from Link. At the moment I would struggle to offer even 1% of what they're after.

As you know, the agreements are enforceable :(

Yes, I never really bought the argument that an application form wasn't an agreement. One side of the form says it's an agreement, the other side says it's an application. I don't know if that's a contradiction or not.

Does not being produced until eleven months after my CCA request make any difference at all for "application form b"? If the document supplied satisfies my CCA request, is the agreement now enforceable again?

What about lack of T&Cs? Should I be requesting them under a CPR pre-action protocol, or something?

If those things in the top left corner are supposed to be their signature, on on "application form A" it is dated 6 days after mine but on "application form B" it is dated over 9 months before mine. Does this mean anything?

And what about the letters they claim to have sent that are "a legal requirement under the Law of Property Act 1925"?

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

There is a difference between being properly executed and being enforceable. An agreement is enforceable under s127(3) if it has your signature and the prescribed terms even if it doesn't otherwise comply (with anything).

Yes, ask for the T&Cs and specify the ones applicable at the time the loan was taken out.

The law of propert bit is to do with the assignment of the debt to link

There is a difference between being properly executed and being enforceable. An agreement is enforceable under s127(3) if it has your signature and the prescribed terms even if it doesn't otherwise comply (with anything).
So the application form that dates their signature long before mine is not properly executed but it is enforceable, correct? Does the delay in supplying CCA mean they have to go to court to enforce, or have I misunderstood that?

Yes, ask for the T&Cs and specify the ones applicable at the time the loan was taken out.
Am I right that they have not complied with the CCA request till they supply these? Can anybody recommend a template letter to use/adapt for this?

The law of property bit is to do with the assignment of the debt to link
OK but I have no idea what recent letter they are talking about that was a requirement of that Act and asked me to contact them. Do they normally send a letter like that, as I've not had any and they claim to have sent two.

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

in principle tey would have to go to court to enforce the agreement. However, isn't this accademic if they are planning to take you to court anyway?

The amendments to the CCA mean they can send most recent T&Cs and be deemed to have complied even if tey are not the T&Cs that are relevant to your agreement.

I don't know what letter they are talking about either

in principle they would have to go to court to enforce the agreement. However, isn't this accademic if they are planning to take you to court anyway?

You have a point there!

The amendments to the CCA mean they can send most recent T&Cs and be deemed to have complied even if they are not the T&Cs that are relevant to your agreement.

That's a fairly nonsensical amendment. How does any set of T&Cs other than those you agreed to prove anything to the court?

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

I have sent this reply to Link:-

My Address

5th May 2008

Link Financial Ltd

PO Box 30095

London

SE1 7WU

Link Reference Number: ******

I have received a letter dated 24th April 2008 from your "Ms [edit]", accompanied by a copy of a credit card application form. The letter tells me the documents I requested from Link Financial are enclosed.

I can only assume you are referring to my request of 21st May 2007 that MBNA supply a true copy of any properly executed credit agreement that exists in relation to reference ****************, as required by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I would point out that the document supplied does not discharge the creditor's obligations under the CCA as it refers to terms and conditions that are not present in that document and have not been supplied. As a consequence, the alleged agreement remains unenforceable at law as detailed in my letter of 21st November 2007.

Additionally, I am in receipt of a letter from your "Mrs [edit]", also dated 24th April 2008. This states I have recently received a letter from yourselves that was a legal notice under Section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925. I would point out that, prior to your letters dated 24th April 2008, I had received no recent letters from Link Financial. Your only previous letter, which was dated 24th October 2007, made no claims to being any form of legal notice.

Yours faithfully

MFPA

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail