Barclays have deleted my details

tetley75
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, i've been trying to get back my statements from Barclays bank, I believe the account was closed around 1999, so I went to my local branch to find out if I was still on their system. The girl found my details very easily and requested my statements internally, but to be on the safe side I also sent an SAR to Barclays providing details of my address at the time etc.

3 weeks letter I recieved a standard letter from the data protection team saying they couldn't find any details on me and could I provide any further info. So I sent another letter saying any other details I could recall and said I couldn't understand how the local branch found my details easily and yet the data team couldn't.

I then recieved an almost identical letter back saying they couldn't find any details on me. I then sent my LBA to them. I once again recieved the same letter saying they couldn't find the info on me.

Yesterday I went to my local branch to get any further info on me from their computer so I could provide it to the Data Protection Team before I went to the N1 stage, but this time the same girl couldn't find me on the computer and said my info must of been deleted, I managed to get her to put this in writing and today filed my complaint with the ICO and will be filling my N1 shortly.

This seems to me to be a major breach of the Data Protection Act when they have deleted my details after they internally requested my statements. Has anyone else had this trouble with Barclays?

I haven't heard of this Luke, but I would also ensure you get details from the girl in the branch that she was able to find your details initially. Get that in writing too, if you haven't already...before she forgets :)

Crash

DAY 1: 12/09 - S A R to British Gas

DAY 45: 27/10 - Data Non-Compliance sent off

DAY 67: 18/11 - N1 Deemed served

DAY 114: 03/01 - Judgment served £60 cheque rec'd; Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

24 Days: E2Save Settled in full £70

59 Days: Barclaycard claim Settled in full £134.39

162 Days: Halifax Settled in full £1543.80

179 Days: Barclays1 Settled in full £2450.45 + £447.02 in costs

254 Days: Barclays 2 Settled in full £1450.91

Advice & opinions offered are personal, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi thanks for the reply, i've got that all in writing saying they had my details and requested them internally but were no longer on the system. I may write to barclays once more to find out what they are playing at.

Will they stop at nothing to avoid paying out! Just claiming through Barclays at the moment, and also on behalf of my sister, and they seem to be the absolute worst for delaying, avoiding sending statements, requesting further info before they send anything etc.

Be interesting to see what happens on this one - keep us posted!

popski:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, sorry I haven't posted for a bit, have recieved a letter from peter Townsend saying all details on closed accounts are automatically deleted after 6 years, and he can't understand how my details were still on the system. I wrote back to ask if this included microflish and if I did then I needed a certificate of data destruction. I have given him a further 7 days to comply before I start my non compliance claim.

I'll post agin when I get a reply, has anyone else had this problem with closed accounts?

Hi dar£n, whats the no fo?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just a quick update, I spoke to barclays on the phone who have informed me even though my info is probably held on microflich, they can only access it through my account no which they can't find. Does anyone know if this is true? or should I do my non compliance claim anyway.

Ah I see you are getting the run around from Barclays too. It seems that they are unable to locate some data... or maybe they can't be bothered to look into it if it means more than three minutes of hard work.

I would keep at it if I were you... start your claim for non-compliance..find out what the law is with keeping data for longer than six years. Photoman is doing a claim from way back... but I don't think it was Barclays. There might be some useful info on his thread about the legality side of claiming back further than six years.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/54548-could-biggest-claim-site.html

Hope it helps

Maxine :-)

Moodle

P.S.

As far as I am aware, they should be able to trace your account number even if it was longer than six years ago. I had a similar problem with my old Lyods TSB card... it had been closed for years. I spent hours in total on the phone trying to chase up the mystery account number. I got it in the end, it was just a bit of a pain in the bum.

Moodle

I cant see how they can delete an account after six years when we self employed have to keep the records going back at least seven years. My account too was closed and they only sent me the information after pressure from the information commisioners office. I dont believe that they delete this information I think they are giving you the run around. Good luck

I cant see how they can delete an account after six years when we self employed have to keep the records going back at least seven years. My account too was closed and they only sent me the information after pressure from the information commisioners office. I dont believe that they delete this information I think they are giving you the run around. Good luck

Solicitor's have to keep records for a minimum of 7 years. I recieved a letter last week from mine asking me to go and collect any documents i wanted to keep from house sale / purchase in 2000 before they destroy them.

Thanks for the info everyone. Hi maxine,I've been following your thread and found it very usefull, I will start a claim against Barclays, then it'll be up to them to find the account no, I managed to get my customer ref no off them so i'll use that in my claim instead.

• 4 months later...

Quick update, in the end I got my account no through doing an SAR to the Army who was my employer at the time, but amazingly Barclays still couldn't find my account.

I then put in a complaint to the ICO who have now informed me that my statements will arrive within 28 days. It amazes me that the banks can totally ignore the law and yet seem to go unpunished, I can't wait to start my claim against the ba@*ards

Hi Luke,

Well done for persisting - tell us more when the state's come through.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)