• Tweets

• No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
    • did you submit your directions
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Welcome Car Finance - Central Recoveries just took my car - aided by police! **WON £8K**

seylectric
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My car, on a H.P. agreement from Welcome Finance with MORE than half paid off, has just been repossed by two bailiffs.

I got in and tried to drive away but before I had the chance to shut the car door the bailiff snatched the key.

I refused to get out of the car so they called the police.

The police said their documentation was correct and said they were allowed to take it,

and gave me 5 minutes to get out of the car and clear my possessions or get arrested.

I have had arrears notices but aren't you supposed to get some sort of statutory letter?

I'm a self-employed electrician, which I told them, and I also thought that they couldn't take it for this reason without a court order?

I can probably get a cheap runabout to tide me over but where do I stand with this?

CORRECTION: Well over half has been paid off the loan as far as I can ascertain from my statements.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Herbie

I presume that this debt refers to an unpaid parking charge notice. If so, did you receive the ticket?

Do you still have a copy of the ticket to check whether the ticket itself is legal?

Which form of bailiff?

If you could please pm me with the names of the bailiff and we can run a search to check whether or not they are certificated.

Do you know how much you owe?

I know that there are many questions here but they are important.

PS: It the vehicle for personal use or is it a works vehicle, ie: necessarry for your use personally in your employment.

No, it has been repossed by Welcome finance for payment arrears.

I was about 4 mohts behind but have had conflicting information as to how much was outstanding.

I haven't got the paperwork to hand but i have paid roughly £7000 of a £11,000+ HP loan for the car.

The police who called said their paperwork was in order but I never got to see it.

I argued with the police that I am supposed to have received some sort of notice and haven't,

and I asked them to prevent the bailiffs taking it.

They said it was a civil matter and I would have to see a solicitor in the morning.

I phoned the police afterwards to report the matter because as far as I am concerned the car has been stolen - it was taken illegally.

I also asked why they intervened and took the side of the bailiffs because if indeed it was a civil matter then surely they had no authority in the matter.

I was calm throughout and not arguing or shouting and screaming,

and as far as I am concerned if I refused to get out of the car no offence has been committed

and the police should not have been involved at all, let alone taking sides!

The woman on the phone at the police station said that it was taken legally by the bailiffs and that I should have paid the amount due.

I said that the payment issue was none of her business, she had no right to be presumptuous

and since it was stolenm in my opinion I wanted to report it. She hung up.

I rung back and repeated what I said, and asked why the police were called.

She said because there was the potential for an affray.

These were two huge bailiffs, one of whom sat in the back seat of the car whilst he phoned the police!

i can't believe this is legal and I don't believe that the police should have aided and abetted the bailiffs

or threatened to arrest me for refusing to get out of the car if, as they say, it is a civil matter!

PS, Yes I am self-employed and need the car for work. I have no other means of transport (to transport tools etc.). The bailiffs had a clipboard which was shown to the police but not to me. All I have received are arrears notices, which i will have to find tomorrow.

Whoa, if what you are saying is true about payment status (i.e. over 1/3 paid) then Welcome Finance have dropped a massive one here. If over 1/3 of the total amount payable has been paid then they cannot repossess without a court order. They could be liable in law to pay back ALL the money you've paid on the Agreement.

I'll pm you some contact details. If you want to give me a bell I'll take a look at your agreement and suggest a way forward for you.

BTW, the guys who called are unlikely to be bailiffs - they'll just be repossession agents. And to be fair to the police, they will have just been there to prevent a breach of the peace. Their knowledge of the Consumer Credit Act will be zilch.

HTH

RM

If they know nothing about the law, they should not be enforcing it. If it was a civil matter, as they said, then all they had to do was stand around and make sure it didn't escalate! As for threatening to arrest you, sey - for what? Sitting in your own car? A car that had disputed ownership because of a civil debt? I despair at the police service, I really do. Get that 'court order' clause checked out ASAP - actually, someone on the vehicle forum may be able to shed some light on it, as they're more au fait with hp/credit agreements.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Hi there,

i also have a car on finance with welcome finance.

According to my paperwork when one third is paid the creditor may not take back the goods against your wishes unless he gets a court order.

If he does take the goods without your consent or a court order, you have the right to get back any money that you have paid under this agreement.

The amount i would have to pay for the above to be applicable is 2452.48 which is on a eleven grand loan.

You need to find out whether or not welcome had a court order.

If not then you will be able to get back all what you have paid!!

If Welcome did have a court order to repossess, you would have known about it!

If a finance company applies to Court for a 'Return of Goods Order', you will be sent a copy of the claim form. You have options; you can return the car, or you can choose to make a new offer of monthly payments. If the creditor doesn't agree to the new payments, there's a hearing, which you can attend. It isn't a case that the creditor pitches up at Court and gets an order granted.

As for the police, it seems to me that officers who attended simply followed the path of least resistance. How much easier for them to allow the car to be taken, and threaten to arrest you, than have to admit their ignorance of the law and check whether or not what the repo agents were doing was lawful? I'd suggest you go to the police station, ask to see the Duty Inspector, and say you'd like to make a formal complaint unless he investigates the matter properly.

Guest SWALEFOYER

Welcome are wll known for doing this without a court agreement or order their agents just show the police some paperwork and thats that.

Welcome are wll known for doing this without a court agreement or order their agents just show the police some paperwork and thats that.

Really? That's fantastic because if they have then I can claim the lot back - and rest assured I will be doing so! Watch this space!

Ok, having gone over a few things, just to clarify:

My agreement is a "HIRE PURCHASE AGREEMENT REGULATED UNDER THE CONSUMER CREDIT ACT 1974 ON TRADE PREMISES".

Cutting to the chase, it says:

"REPOSSESSION: YOUR RIGHTS

If you fail to keep to your side of the agreement but you have paid at least one third of the total amount payable under the Agreement, that is (handwritten in box) £4072.53 we may not take back the goods against your wishes unless we get a Court Order. (In Scotland we may need at get a Court Order at any time).

If we do take them without your consent or a court order, you have the right to get back all the money you have paid under the agreement. "

I'm in England, by the way.

I have added up my payments and I have paid a total of £7445.37, broken down into:

£100 cash deposit (shown on the agreement; no part-ex).

£4702.14 by direct debit (I have all the statements).

£2643.23 in cash at the local Welcome office

(I have the receipts; it might even be a bit more becuase I think I have mislaid a couple of receipts).

Well the fact that the police were called is proof that they did not have my consent.

As for the court order I have been phoning Welcome all afternoon to ask for details of the order

(when and where it was issued etc. and have been fobbed off all day.

I repeatedly asked for the details (on the premise that those who collected the car showed "proof" to the police that they had a right to take the vehicle).

The local office kept avoiding the question but having phoned a third time they told me that head office in Nottingham (?)

would have the details "but they didn't know the number".

On the third call I said I would give them 10 minutes to find the number and ring them back.

When I rang back,

after another 10 minutes of trying to avoid the question (in my opinion)

I was eventually told that "Central Recoveries" would have the details.

After some coercing I got that number from them and Central Recoveries said that the branch office had the details.

I told them they didn't and had passed me on to them, so they said that the Compliance Dept. would have them.

I couldn't get an answer from Head Office, it was now about 5pm.

I asked for the number of the people they had hired to collect the car.

The number they gave me turned out to be an auction house,

they said that they had nothing to do with the recovery of the car,

that was down to another private firm and i would have to get those details from Welcome.

SO...

I don't believe a court order exists.

They (Central Recoveries) said they had sent me a termination of contract letter about 3 weeks ago (I haven't received one),

and that was enough to indicate that they would be recovering the car.

Is this correct?

Since I can't get any info out of Welcome,

how do I find out if they do indeed have a court order,

and if not what do I have to do to recover my money?

I can't afford a solicitor and anyway don't want to get screwed with a huge solicitors bill

- I don't have much, if any, luck with the courts.

I'm not expecting anything to happen overnight so to speak but I am now stuck without transport

which I desperately need for work and I can't afford to buy or hire anything.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Guest Herbie

We have dealt with a number of situations similar to this. I can ASSURE you that quite a fair amount of paperwork would have to come your way well before a vehicle is re-possessed.

We have recently been dealing with First Response Ltd. The client was unable to keep to the payment terms and was currently 5 months in arrears ( monthly payments £195). They had received many letters from the company and eventually formal notification that the company had applied to the court for possession (over one third had been paid). The client then received court papers from the County Court to advise them that a court date had been set. One behalf of the client we asked that the court accept instead pay reduced payments of £100 per month. The Judge agreed the application today. Had he not, then the court would have granted possession and the Court would have written to the client to advise the date when the vehicle should be surrendered.

I am trying here to demonstrate that BEFORE a vehicle can be taken you should have received the first notice from the court to advise of the hearing date, and even if you did not attend the court, further papers should have been received advising you of the outcome of the hearing in your absence and informing you the date that the car must be sent back.

You should write a letter immediately quoting the clause within seylectric above (the wording is the same on this particular case) and asking for the immediate return of the vehicle, failing which, you require the amount of £xxx as provided under Clause xxx of the agreement. Mention also that you intend making a formal complaint to the Office of Fair Trading. It is always worth while making an online search for details of Welcome's licence and mention in your letter something like:

Enquiries with the Office of Fair Trading have revealed that your company are the holders of a Consumer Credit Licence No:123456 which was granted on 01/01/01.

The purpose of this letter is to put your company on notice that due to (their breach etc) unless I receive either (return of vehicle) or the amount of (£ amount paid) by close of business on.... I will have no hesitation in making a formal complaint to the Office of Fair Trading, etc, etc.

Given that the value of the vehicle is probably now around £3k at best,

is it not in my own interests to go down the line of recovering the £7.5k I have paid?

Don't get me wrong,

I will be extremely happy if I can recover that as they have breached the contract (my arrears was about 5 months too)

but I have already incurred a lot of expense that I can't afford and I also need to find some transport fast,

as a result of them (illegally) taking the car, not to mention the stress at a time when we are under a lot of stress anyway.

Whilst I don't deny that the money would come in extremely handy,

the fact remains that as far as I can ascertain I am entitled by law to my £7,500 back

and surely I would be a fool not to pursue it?

My concern is that what if they DO have a court order and the documents have been lost in the post?

it's a genuine concern because we already have a battle going on over my partner's bankruptcy

(for £4,000, had we known about the bankrupcy hearing I would have been in a posision - just - to pay it off).

We appealed on this basis, that we didn't receive the relevant documentation

and the judge through out the appeal on the simple basis that he didn't accept that we had not received the original documents

(on at least three occasions, but we didn't) and that the money was still owed. (ongoing)

What I'm saying is if they do have a court order and the documents were sent, but I didn't get them (but the judge doesn't believe me), where do I stand then?

Hope this makes sense, but I'm just not that lucky!

Guest Herbie

I would say to them that due to the extreme seriousness of the matter, you require details of the case number ( which they probably do not have) and details of the County Court, so that your may make urgent enquiries with the County Court to assertain where the court documents have gone.

Sorry forgot, I would personally be claiming the money....not the car

Would it not be worth cutting straight to the chase and telling them that if they do not provide the information

about this seemingly phantom court order immediately (they can phone me),

and if they don't have one, I then go on to point out that I am entitled to my £7.5k back,

failing which I will appoint a solicitor to take the appropriate legal action,

and will then be claiming costs and compensation too?

Guest Herbie

As companies like this are reliant on their consumer credit licence to trade, they would not wish to have any complaints made to the OFT.

In addition, you could say that you will be issuing proceedings for the £7.5K and that , if necessary, you will be instructng a High Court Enforcement Officer if they did not pay up......

(

for £4,000, had we known about the bankrupcy hearing I would have been in a posision - just - to pay it off).

Why didn't you pay off the arrears when you got the notices?

I don't always believe what I say, I'm just playing Devils Advocate

(

Why didn't you pay off the arrears when you got the notices?

OK let me put it another way, I could have raised the 4k....but that's an entirely different issue and not relevant to this thread.

On the road.

Nothing to contest there.

I should be able to get all my money back

but I'm still fuming that what were nothing other than two civilians with no legal authority to take the car were helped to do so by the police.

As far as I am concerned the car was taken illegally

- therefore stolen

- and I have tried to report it stolen

but the police are refusing to allow me to report it, insisting it is a civil matter.

I had already told them I am considering action against them as a force and the copper as an individual

simply on the basis that they not only allowed it to be taken, but actually made sure it was!

Seylectric,

Right if the local police will not take your complaint seriously then write to the Chief Constable, let him/her know exactly what happened and that if no Court Order had been issued then you hold his Constabulary responsible for aiding and abetting a crime to take place.

This may seem harsh but senior officers are more atune to the politics of the law generally and see the can of worms that could be opened by such a case. The Chief Constable will pass it onto another senior officer to deal with it, but stick by your guns. If no Court Order existed then the men who took your vehicle committed theft unless they had your permission to take it, also of course the fact that you were threatened with arrest - which if the situation is as you described it - then this must make the Constabulary culpable as well. (Here you should mention loss of earnings as now having no vehicle.)

You should also be able to get an email address to email the letter to, just telephone the Constabulary Headquarters and ask for the Chief Constables office.

Let us know how things go on.

Without doubt, you should follow Funnyman's advice. By not ensuring that there was a Court Order entitling the bailiffs to remove the property then the police have assisted in a criminal act of theft. As such they would themselves become a party to any action to recovery of your property.

Hang in there - it may take some time but you will get things sorted out.

Hi all,

I'm no expert in this area but having read a number of similar threads, it appears that bailiffs / enforcement agents seem to think that they are above the law (and in this particular case - assisted by them !!! ). I will follow this thread with particular interest.

However, to put a slightly different slant on this, you could ask for details of the motor insurance policy for the repo agents and try to claim back as a"theft". But possibly even better, ensure that they do have the correct motor insurance policy to cover driving away your vehicle. If they don't, you have the two coppers as witnesses that they drove the vehicle illegally.

The type of cover/policy they require is effectively a motor trade type policy which allows "The Policyholder" i.e. the company to drive any vehicle which is in their care, custody or control and such vehicles to be driven by any person permitted by them provided that they have the required licence to drive.

It's a long shot but still may make them squirm a little bit more.

Good luck - don't let these "illegitimate referees" get you down.

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

Thanks for your support people.

Funnyman, that's exactly how I see it. Much too late to go into detail, but I will be consulting a solicitor in the next couple of days and will post here.

Just come across this thread and reading with intrest on my day of work, however it seems to have just stopped, can any1 advise me as to whether the thread has been moved or the poster has just not up-dated as yet, like happy endings but this one has stopped half way through the good bit so to speak . or am i just been eager as to the endings thax

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks