Who do you pay your fee for unlocking?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5919 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys- i am pretty confused (I am very pretty and very confused to be precise lol)

I bought BB5 phone, locked to T-Mobile. I want to use O2 sim. T-Mobile says will send me the code, the fee is £15. Who gets the fee? T-Mob or O2? Should I have asked O2 to unlock me or T-Mob?

Thanks!

And before I get lots of posts about free unlocking etc: At the moment the only method available to unlock the BB5 phones is by using codes provided from the network. There is no known method to unlock via cable/remotely and the only source of the codes is from the network.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi guys- i am pretty confused (I am very pretty and very confused to be precise lol)

I bought BB5 phone, locked to T-Mobile. I want to use O2 sim. T-Mobile says will send me the code, the fee is £15. Who gets the fee? T-Mob or O2? Should I have asked O2 to unlock me or T-Mob?

Thanks!

And before I get lots of posts about free unlocking etc: At the moment the only method available to unlock the BB5 phones is by using codes provided from the network. There is no known method to unlock via cable/remotely and the only source of the codes is from the network.

Hi, as the phone was connected to Tmobile, the fee is paid to TMobile and they will provide the unlock code. It can take up to 28 days for them to get this, but it is usually quicker.

By the way, earlier BB5 phones will be able to be unlocked from other sources within a few days, but you will still be charged between £10-£15.

Indeed BB5 phones have been a right pain in the bum for unlockers. As complete says some of the earlier ones are now unlockable but unfortunately that does not seem to include yours Joa. Complete is also right in that you will need to pay t-mobile to unlock the phone as they supplied it. Worth mentioning that your new network (O2) tend to supply all their contract phones unlocked. Which is nice

Nice to see you on this side of the forum by the way. Makes a change for you to be seeking help as normally you're being really helpfull over in the tenants section.

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

Well, everyone has some kind of speciality knowledge....some know a lot about parking fines, some about grumpy toddlers and some about underwater basket-weaving.

Thanks for all your help guys and I hope TMob will not drag their feet too much:-|

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Finally got my code today, and they've promised to credit my account with the fee again as a goodwill gesture due to the fact it has taken so long. Slightly annoying overall, but once again T-Mobile pulled through in the end.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

Just a question though: Is this unlocking fee of 15£ legal?

I have been using my phone with T-mobile for more than 20 months now. I had a 18 months contract and now that I am switching over to a different network I would like my old phone to be able to receive different SIM cards. So I need to unlock my old phone but T-mobile says that I need to pay the 15£ fee for it. I don't see why I need to pay anything knowing that I completed my contract with them. So now, after more than 18 months this phone is not the T-mobile property anymore but mine so they should be able to unlock it for free.

Thanks for your help.

syl.

Not quite.

Your 18 month period was a minimum commitment period for the service (which is only the minutes/texts, not the phone). So although you are outwith your commitment period and can cancel the airtime agreement, it doesn't have any bearing on the handset. It works the other way round too though - even although you have cancelled the airtime agreement, if the handset develops a fault etc you can still take it back to t-mobile.