• Tweets

• OK, so I've rather unfairly picked up a CCJ from a business overdraft debt that's been going on for years. I had court claim forms in 2014 which I managed to stave off. and again in sept 2016. This time I've acknowledged the service, filling in what I thought was the correct amount I thought I owed. I've since had the personal guarantee paper copies in my possession and I owe £21K. I sent them back along with a new address for all correspondence to be sent to, and then agreed to a Tomlin order to pay debt off monthly.  Now, these were sent back and forth and eventually signed, but apparently only partially. So DD was set up at same time, in Jan 2017. over next couple of months we paid, and also go letters to sign new Tomlin which we ignored as it was signed. In March we got another TO with 7 days to sign it and send back. We had one day to get this to them and phoned to say it wouldn't be there, that's ok they said, well extend it, just keep paying and send it back asap, we did send recorded (since lost receipt). We assumed they'd got it, and didn't hear a peep from them. Until July 18, when I found id got a CCJ from Feb that year. I've logged a complaint with solicitor, and had a response, they are denying any knowledge of anything. They had no TO so took it to court without my knowledge.  I didn't think there was anything I can do. However, as it turns out, the court sent papers to an old address even though solicitor had new address for 13 months, and address for correspondence was on the claim papers I sent back. Upon closer inspection the numbers are all wrong too, nor a lot but its about £200 adrift. We called their office too within the 30 day notice period, oddly they have no record of that.  And all this is on a "Business Charge Card Guarantee" …. anyone explain that?? In the mean time we've paid £5K+ of the debt off. At no point did anyone in the process let us know we'd had the CCJ logged against us. Is that right?? Or legal? I was intending to get it set side, but was told by them it was pointless. Just want to get back to point A. Paying it isn't the problem, it getting the CCJ reset. Please Help!!! 
    • same with jaguar s-types etc. all kind of weird issues if the battery is on the way out or the terminals/earth straps are not reconnected tightely/properly.   mine was the earthing strap to the gearbox, was rotted and got knocked during the gearbox oil change.
    • what have they got that they can respond too that counters your SB defence? zilch.   as with every erudio claimform or PAPLOC thread on CAG you solely got the claim because for whatever reason , to that date, everything was ignored.   once a response is made they go away.   default CCJ avoided. you must read up and understand how arrows [erudio!!] operate  
    • so won by a section 75 claim under the consumer credit act then   consequential losses are also covered by section 75 as the card provide is equally liable as you've already found out   as for the dealer and court there is no time limit, well 6yrs I believe   though it would be a tough battle but made slightly easier as BC coughed up. but again what would you in all reality 'win' probably go bust or change name        
    • It was settled by Barclaycard because I bought the car using my VISA credit card. Do you know if there is a time limit for taking the company to court to claim the consequential expenses incurred?
  • Our picks

consumerpower

Looking for a buddy to help me through Egg bank claim

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4536 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello!

I sent off my 1st request to Egg, two weeks ago and have only received a standard we have received a complaint from you letter back. The first letter I sent was from Moneysaving expert and the one here is better. So think I might send the orginal one from here.

Just after someone who has won agaisnt Egg to help me really. Would anyone be kind enough out there to be my buddy..?

Thanks ConsumerP

Just follow the moc1982 example in V-E Day thread -- with full results within 2 days.

You will be fine if you follow the tried and trusted letters and timeframes on the CAg site, but happy to help if you have specific questions - Egg is the same as all the others...

If you think my advice has been helpful, please click on the scales to the left :) thank you!

Non illegitimi carborundum

I wish I was a glow worm,

A glow worm's never glum!

How can you be grumpy,

when the sun shines out yer bum?! :p

Amex * 2 *** WON *** Settled

Marbles ****WON*** In full settlement

Capital 1 ***WON*** In full settlement

MBNA ***WON**** In full settlement

Barclaycard ***WON*** In full settlement

Barclays Bank - ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey (Mrs Chorlton) ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey (Mr and Mrs C) - MCOL submitted 16/5/07

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help, I actually recieved a letter this morning so I am feeling a lot more confident now. Was starting to think I was just going to be ignored! Anyway the letter was the same one about the OFT rules and the £12 so a copied a letter found on another Egg post, and have edited it slightly. Thanks very much I think it was from ME V Egg, sorry for just nicking it hope you dont mind!

I emailed it over a scanned copy and I am going to post it so fingers corssed Egg will pay out now, seems they paid a few other ones when they recieved this kind of letter.

Here is the letter I have just sent incase anyone else needs it, and thanks again to munchkin0110

Will hopefully have some goods news shortly!

Ms Ema Clayton

Customer Relations Adviser

Customer Relations Office

Egg plc

Riverside Road

Pride Park

Derby

DE99 3GG

17 May 2007

Dear Ms Ema Clayton

EGG ACCOUNT NUMBER:

Your Reference:

Thank you for your letter dated 15th May 2007 regarding my request for repayment of charges. However, I do not consider this a satisfactory response.

I have great respect for Egg's Genuine Pre-estimate of £16 and great respect for all future Genuine Pre-estimates that Egg provide. But as a cardholder I am wondering after many years in business Egg has ever tried to reconcile Pre-estimates against Post-event audits.

I am confident that Egg Plc would not withhold evidence from their cardholders, and that Egg will present evidence in court to show the after-the-event costs, as well as before-the-event Genuine Pre-estimates.

I would also like to respond to comments 1, 2 and 3 raised in your letter dated 15 May 2007. I have responded to them in order as per your letter for ease; please find my responses on the following page (page 2/3).

Point 1

Regardless of whether the credit card agreement states that charges will be added to the account if the credit limit is exceeded or fail to make contractual payments, it is the amount of the default charge which is in question.

Point 2

You have been charging me charges that are contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Schedule 2 (e) of the said regulations gives a non-complete list of terms which may be regarded as unfair, such as a term that requires me, as a consumer who fails in his obligation, to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation. I believe your charges are disproportionately high and therefore they are contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Regulations 1999.

In addition I believe that your charges are a Penalty. Penalty charges are irrecoverable at common law. The precedent for this was Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79 along with Murray v Leisure Play [2005] EWCA Civ. 963. It was held that a contractual party can only receive damages for an actual loss or liquidated loss. It is clear that your charges do not reflect any actual and/or real loss.

If your charges are indeed a genuine pre-estimate of the administrative costs likely to be incurred by you in dealing with defaults then in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs, I once again request that you provide me with a breakdown and proof of all costs involved with regard to your actual or liquidated losses involved in any breach of contract to which these charges relate with yourselves and that these charges reflect your true costs in relation to the said charges and are proportionate to the charges levied on my account as defined in Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 Schedule 2 (e). I would expect this to include a comparison of all charges levied against all customers and the actual costs incurred by you when those customers default.

Point 3

I refer to your comment regarding the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) default charge threshold of £12.00. I am aware that the OFT have stated that;

“where there are exceptional business factors... for example where a card issuer has a policy of requiring customers to pay minimum monthly repayments by direct debits, such as that operated by Egg….it may be able to set a fair default fee at a level above the threshold”.

However, this does not mean that your £16.00 is considered fair. The OFT state that only a court can decide finally whether a term is unfair.

Therefore as you have refused to refund the charges in question, I will pursue recovery with a County Court claim, although I sincerely hope that this will not be the route I need to take. I sincerely hope that you will respond positively to this letter in order to avoid court proceedings.

I’d also like to remind you, as you will be aware that should this case be heard in court you could also be liable for 8% statutory interest on the total amount of charges claimed (as of today this amounts to £ plus my costs.

To clarify, a positive response being no less than an offer of full settlement of all charges incurred on my account.

I am aware of many cases that you have settled in full out of court to date and I assume therefore that would also be your intention in this case. If that is so, then to allow this claim to get that far may be considered an abuse of the court process. I have enclosed a copy of your letter (encl 2) dated 15 May 2007, as should this result in a court case I will present it as evidence.

Once again, respectfully request that you refund the total amount of charges I am claiming, now totalling £ as per the attached schedule.

I will give you 14 days to respond to this letter before taking the matter further.

Yours faithfully,

Enclosures

• Schedule of charges
  • Copy of your letter dated 14 May 2007

vbmenu_register("postmenu_775330", true);

Hi Consumer

I don't mind at all about the letter - it's there to help. Good luck with it and I'm sure you will receive an offer letter for the full amount you are claiming very soon. They sent mine within a few days of receiving that letter and then they paid up quick too. :)

Munchkin

Munchkin

Egg - settled in full at LBA

Barclaycard - settled in full after defence issued but before hearing date advised

Barclays - settled in full after defence issued but before hearing date advised