• Tweets

• Moved to the Private Parking forum.
    • Good afternoon, I am writing because I am very frustrated. I received a parking fine from MET Parking Services Ltd , ( Southgate park Stansted CM24 1PY) . We stopped for a quick meal in Mcdonalds and were there fir around 30 mins. We always do this after flights and never received a parking fine before.  Reason: The vehicle left in Southgate car park without payment made for parking and the occupants southgate premises. they took some pictures of us leaving the car. i did not try and appeal it yet as I came across many forums that this is a scam and I should leave it. But I keep getting threatening letters.  Incident happened : 23/10/2023 I did contact Mcdonalds and they said this:  Joylyn (McDonald’s Customer Services) 5 Apr 2024, 12:05 BST Dear Laura, Thank you for contacting McDonald’s Customer Services. I’m sorry to hear that you have received a Parking Charge Notice following your visit to our Stansted restaurant.   We've introduced parking restrictions at some of our restaurants to make sure there are always parking spaces available for customers.   We appreciate that some visits such as birthday parties or large group visits might take longer and the parking restrictions aren't intended to stop this. If you think your stay will exceed the stated maximum parking time then please speak to a manager in advance.   Your number plate is scanned by our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system when you enter our car park, and then again when you leave. If you have overstayed the maximum time allowed, you will not be notified straight away- a Parking Charge Notice will be sent to you via the post.   If you feel that a Parking Charge Notice has been issued in error, please contact our approved contractors who issued the charge in order to appeal the charge. Unfortunately McDonald's are unable to revoke parking tickets- the outcome of the appeal is final and cannot be overturned by McDonald’s.   Many thanks for taking the time to contact McDonald’s Customer Services.   Can someone please help me out and suggest what I should do next?  Thank you 
    • Good Evening, I've got a fairly simple question but I'll provide some context incase needed. I've pursued a company that has operations in england despite them having no official office anywhere. I've managed to find a site they operate from and the papers there have been defended so I know they operate there. They've filed a defence which is honestly the worst defence ever, and despite being required to provide their witness evidence, they have not and have completely ignored the courts and my request for copies of it. I'm therefore considering applying to strike out their defence on the grounds the defence was rubbish and that they haven't provided any evidence for the trial. However, it has a trial date set for end of june, and a civil application wouldn't get heard until a week before then, so hardly worth it. However, my local court is very good at dealing with paper applications (i.e ones that don't need hearings, and frankly I think they are literally like 1-2 days from when you submit it to when a Judge sees it. I'm wondering if I can apply to strikeout a defence without a hearing OR whether a hearing is required for a strikeout application.   Thanks
    • I have just opened another bank acc with lloyds (i have a few already) After doing some research they may have some relation to tsb or be apart of the same group will this cause me issue if my salary is paid into my lloyds account? Also, if the debts do go into default and nothing is paid then after 6 years it all goes away? As the DCAs cannot do anything? I do want to start paying in like 3/4 months or do you advise I leave it if it goes into default? again sorry for all the questions, i am just processing everything
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lloyds victory in Birmingham - in perspective

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have just watched BBC1 when their guy from Money Box stated that although very surprisingly this DJ had found in the banks favour it did NOT set a precedent He also said ANOTHER DJ who obviously new of DJ Cookes ruling still found for the claimant AGAINST the bank.

The guy was spot on & I shall be listening to Money Box on Radio 4 at 12noon today when it will again be spoken about

Perhaps the mods could use there powers to let everyone know about this

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a court date on Thursday for which I already had an offer and declined as I am holding out for a bigger offer. I received a letter this morning from bank that they faxed to the court they are trying to consolidate all claims into 1 and change Thursday's court date. They are saying I didn't provide breakdowns of charges for the 2 small claims, this is untrue as they have had all the details. They are amending their defences for both claims and have enclosed a copy of Judge Cooke's approved judgement. I will be sending a full court bundle to both court and the solicitors on Monday but I am now quite worried about this and didn't do this before as the AQ was dispensed with.

Do I need to do more? Do I need a solicitor?

It appears you have been on CAG only since February 2007 and made only 5 posts, so may not be familiar with the standing invitation from Mods to get in touch if you wish before any actual court attendance. In this exceptional situation I would think the invite is more standing than ever.

Bankfodder's PM box is regularly overflowing, so I should immediately PM BF but in addition big gun GaryH. Also HSBCrusher etc and all Mods actively posting on this case.

Might be interesting to learn what are the similarities and differences between your case and Kevin Berwick's. Is yours against Lloyds TSB Bank (not card) too? Do you have T&C in black in white? Are you also reclaiming charges for cheques uncovered but honoured by the bank?

Does anybody have the URL for Berwick v Lloyds TSB Approved Judgment? in contrast to the 23-page Draft Judgment on http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/att...nt/Summary.pdf

firstnew.gif Sticky: Calling All Lloyds TSB Account Holders..... **** ===Call for evidence===**** GaryH

icon1.gifsticky.gif Sticky: GOT A COURT DATE? Important, please read......

GaryH

Was the bank victory an accident?

By Ian Pollock

Personal finance reporter, BBC News

999999.gif

_42926285_lloydstsbbranchbbc203.jpg

it seems to have come about by accident.

The Lloyds TSB headquarters only appeared to know of the case when informed by the BBC after the judgement was delivered.

The banks have been terrified of losing a case in court in case it set a legal precedent. Losing might have opened up the disagreeable prospect of paying hundreds of millions of pounds to other customers in similar circumstances. The Birmingham case does not in fact set a precedent, as it was decided by a district judge.

But even so it would have been very embarrassing to lose a case there.

So it hardly seems likely that one of the biggest, and most profitable, banks in the world would have willingly allowed a legal case to go ahead, with no one in court to argue its side.

Campaigners against bank charges have suggested that the banks are so swamped by claims that they, and the outside legal firms they employ, are in some cases simply losing track of the paperwork, and that this one slipped through.

Mr Berwick suggested in court that might have been the case with him. "He may be right in that," commented Judge Cooke.

What happens next?

Mr Berwick is pondering whether or not to appeal and has 14 days to make up his mind. If he does then the case might eventually go to a division of the High Court, and that is where things would really get interesting. Cases decided in the High Court do set a precedent for lower courts to follow. If Lloyds TSB lost there that would be most unfortunate - for it - but would almost certainly be pursued further up the legal food chain. Either way, Lloyds TSB may be feeling pleased with itself today - but that feeling may evaporate quite soon.

I expect to get a date for my case against ltsb around the end of june.

I am very worried about this judgement, but will carry on with my claim.

I hope everyone continues to do the same . I am only claiming £600.

Interesting,

LTSB are now in a position where, if appealed, they risk a precedent being set.

Of course, they can always back down, but how many companies / individuals do so after receiving a judgement in their favour?

I always thought this must have been one that slipped through the net, and I'm sure, LTSB's legal team will be thinking long and hard about their position. No celebrations there.

In the interim, they will be communicating this "victory" surreptitiously to the ranks to boost moral.

Regarding the decision, with great power comes great responsibility. I have the utmost respect for Judges, and believe a decision on a financial claim does not compare with some of the more difficult decisions they face on a daily basis.

However, I cannot get a niggling thought out of the back of my head that this decision was not based solely on the facts and law, and included an element of emotion.

The Courts have been flooded with claims of this nature, which has had a serious impact on resource, which deflects their ability to deal with more serious matters. Is Judge Cooke fed up with dealing with these?

Having read the transcript, various articles, the case put forward by Kevin and Judge Cooke's delivery and the statutes, I have no doubt that this will be overturned on appeal, and focus placed on this case and Judge Cooke from all areas.

If the banks had any inkling of this result, they would have attended.

Nobody should be worried, except LTSB and Judge Cooke, who must be reflecting on how to react to a terrible decision.

Fix Bayonets.

Tide

Thank you Mistermind, I've been around the site for quite a lot longer under another user name but haven't posted too much. I was really comfortable with going to court, wouldn't be the first time and I've always been successful. But I've not had the situation where a few days before court, they've submitted a completely changed defence and included this ruling. There is less than a week to the court date, are they allowed to do this?

Madkit, as I once read a Mod post, the Small Claims Court is concerned only with redistributing money, not to apportion blame. It seems there are unlimited postponements, AWOLs from trial hearings, setasides on demands, non-payments after ruling by the judge, etc etc. Catering to a range of litigants from barristers to barely literate laymen, court procedure appears to be flexible and tolerant. On one day 77 hearings were scheduled in one court, with not one case proceding to trial.

On Kevin's day 13th April 2007, ith the first hearing claimant Mr H did not bother to turn up, and his claim form did not bother to itemise the £247.50 charges claimed. In the second hearing Kevin turned up but not Lloyds, and the AWOL party won. With all these unexpected turnups it would seem prudent to have someone who knows more than appears the minimum necessary, in order to think and respond on the spot, with vigilance and eloquence.

There appears to be no such thing as Contempt of Court, and no porridge under any circumstances, so why should rich banks worry? If the court allowed a late change detailing completely new points of defence, I would say then there is no procedural problem, not that what is allowed is cast in stone, it seems the court and the judge will allow what they will allow, and tolerate what they will tolerate.

If you need additional time to prepare, presumably you could of course ask for a postponement until the best time to suit yourself.

It occurs to me the one-sided litigation shyness may have been blown away by this ruling unintentionally triggered by Lloyds, and banks (in contrast to cards) may no longer fight shy to face court -- in for a penny in for a pound. If banks lose they are likely to appeal all the way to the House of Lords to defend their billionpound per annum income stream. If claimants lose, who knows, CAG might be interested to appeal all the way even to the EC. All this could take 2, 3 years during which time claimants who need quick money may not get paid out at all? Unless they accept a reduced settlement offer.

Anyway, Tom Brennan on Monday. It's SHOWDOWN time on all fronts. Time will show -- who talks a good trial and who wins. Good luck to your own case, trust you will absorb all the best info and advice. Unfortunately I myself have no legal training. But I do not completely share the rah rah rah of the optimists.

In today's Financial Mail (on Sunday) p.22, it is reported that in the Berwick -v- Lloyds TSB case, Mr.Berwick made his Claim/Application through a 'no win-no fee' claim firm, and apparently the same Judge has also written to this third party claims handler warning them that by completing legal forms on behalf of Berwick, it may have acted unlawfully as it was not a qualified solicitor ! (As only a 'qualified person' or the Claimant may sign such forms).

Which? urges all consumers to reclaim their own bank charges.

As has already been stated in other postings - 'complete and detailed preparation is paramount' !

Good luck !

Kenny Haymes, London

hello all,

This is my first time on this so im not sure how this works. Could someone please tell me what is needed in my bundle for the courts. Reading all the information from the experts, i didnt think my case would go to court, and now with mr Berwick losing, i need to prepare my case. I also have the same judge as mr berwick and im unsure on how to proceed?

any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Pen. Which court is your claim being held at?

I am currently helping my Nan with her claim and I know that when it comes to her getting a court date, she will pull out!

What information do I need to prepare / obtain ready for when a date is set?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=magenta]C [COLOR=black]& [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]D :) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC[/B][COLOR=#000000]- Full settlement received & spent! £1,477.93 :-) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT] [COLOR=mediumturquoise][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]HSBC claim 2![/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - Full settlement offer received 27/06 - £1,116 :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]A&L[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] (for my Nan) - full settlement received on day of prelim hearing - approx £1500 :-)[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Halifax[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - full settlement received 30/06 - £2576! :) [/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=mediumturquoise][B]Barclays[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] - (for a friend) - Court forms were due to be submitted but he wants to wait for results of the court case with OFT[/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#000000][B][COLOR=mediumturquoise]A&L[/COLOR][/B] - (for a friend) - court forms submitted - claim 'stayed' due to OFT case[/COLOR][/FONT]

Has anyone seen this?

BBC NEWS | Business | Crucial bank charges case resumes

I didnt know this was happening today, at is it in Hight Court?

This could be the day we all get what we want..........

Fingers crossed.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

Guest xipetotec46

I have delayed sending my AQ until the end of this. I have until the 30th anyway.

I don't mean to be picky but the wording of the UTCCR non exhaustive list does not mention "breaches the contract" it actually says "fails in his/her obligations" doesn't it? This means whether the action constitutes an actual breach of contract or not is irrelevant as the wording is clearly obligations and I have a LLoyds TSB T&Cs with a section entitled "your obligations" I think this would satisfy that definition even in an American court with a wealthy famous defendant (probably;) ).

Am I wrong? (or just missing the point as usual)

I have a LLoyds TSB T&Cs with a section entitled "your obligations"

Nobody else has mentioned that valuable word "obligations" before.

GaryH is urgently looking for such gold dust T&Cs, please respond on the thread he started. What date is your T&C?

Sticky: CALLING ALL LLOYDS TSB ACCOUNT HOLDERS..... **** ===Call for evidence===**** (multipage.gif1 2 3)

GaryH

I am in the process of claiming bank charges back from HSBC on behalf of my son and I do now feel discouraged about yesterday's victory for Lloyds.

It is taking alot longer than I thought - I first requested bank statements back in March and they were here within 3 weeks (they even returned the cheque for £10) so I thought that was a good start. But since then I don't seem to have got very far. After working out the charges of £1,439 plus interest of £317.92 I wrote again requesting a refund this time. I had a reply 2 weeks later from their Service Quality Team at their Leeds branch saying they were looking into the matters raised and they would contact me with a full response when they had completed their investigation (and enclosing their booklet called 'Listening to your comments'). Nothing received since in spite of a further reminder letter sent to them at the Leeds branch three weeks later threatening court action. I now don't know whether to send another letter (but to their Head Office) or to issue court documents to them through Money Claim Online. It costs £120 and I don't know now whether to risk it yet or not. Has anybody out there had any recent success reclaiming bank charges from HSBC and did it have to go to court?

I am exactly in the same position as you with HSBC started alomost the same time received exactly the same response or lack of and for almost exactly the same amount of money. I filed my claim at court on Friday but now I am really wondering if I have done the right thing?? I was not prepared to start collecting agreements and everything - I not sure how to prepare - can anybody give me any advice?? Kiri260180:confused:

With Brennan case resuming tomorrow and Berwick appeal possible in the wings, the legal outlook could change from day to day. With Lloyds having (by all accounts) accidentally triggered a court verdict, it is not known if banks and cards have stopped running.

Not clear if they are going to seek, not dodge, a court room showdown now, if so any claimant could unexpectedly run into a barrister ready for a fight.

If banks and cards lose they are likely to appeal all the way to the House of Lords, if they win CAG may appeal ditto. If so, not sure if judgments and hearings in Small Claims Court will be deferred. Anyone given a cash settlement offer in hand might like to consider, whether a 90% cash in hand offer could be better value than 100% later -- potentially 2 years later in the worst case scenario.

The case for reclaim against cards is certainly more straightforward than against banks, especially for that grey area where banks honour not bounce an unsupported cheque, accompanied by a charge. If one side says this was a penalty charge, the other side says it is a fee for a service. IMHO I would not go near that reclaim myself.

In relation to courts ordering a stay in proceedings, I would like to bring my thread to your attention: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/92222-advice-wanted-lloyds-court.html. I am seeking advice on what to do in this situation, and if anyone else is in the same situation, the advice posted may be of help.

Thank you.