Another Win - Cuddles v Nationwdie

cuddles159

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just to let you all know, I have just received a letter from Nationwide asking me to sign the enclosed form saying to agree a full refund of my bank charges YIPPEEE!!!!!!!

Just thought I would let you all know that the way I did it was a bit different to the templates. When I sent my first letter and received there general letter back saying no it also stated that they would consider closing my account if I continued the claim, at this point I sent a letter to the financial O/Service they paid me back because of the letter they sent to them.

But anyway thanks to consumer action group as I would'nt of even tried getting them back if it was'nt to this site, thank you

Cuddles

• Haha 1

Congrats Cuddles, another victory!

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take going via the Ombudsman? I'm just waiting on my statements coming through at the moment and i'm not too sure which route I want to take.

The Squall

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici - By the power of truth I, while living, have conqured the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Who Watches The Watchers?

Hi

That is interesting , there are several articles in the press today, stating that the FO is now getting involved as the tactics used by banks for stalling payment and forcing court, then not turning up etc etc are wasting everyones time.

Prehaps your situation is testemont to that fact and now the route is shorter to the final conclusion.....

Andy

I have reported my bank account to the Financial/O this week and recieved a letter this morning stating that they have written on my behalf to Members Service Dept and that I should expect to hear from them in the next few days. If I do not hear from them I am to write including my F/O Ref No stating they have not replied......

I have not recieved my statements yet but have been able to go back to Jan 2005 which amounts to £668.31, I hope they arrive soon. We are pursuing my husbands charges via court route and will be filing N1 Monday 21st. I thought I would try a different approach for my own account as I had also heard that the FO are very proactive and Nationwide seem to move faster in this respect.

This should be interesting to compare the two.

Cuddles....CONGRATULATIONS x

Jane

I have reported my bank account to the Financial/O this week and recieved a letter this morning stating that they have written on my behalf to Members Service Dept and that I should expect to hear from them in the next few days. If I do not hear from them I am to write including my F/O Ref No stating they have not replied......

I have not recieved my statements yet but have been able to go back to Jan 2005 which amounts to £668.31, I hope they arrive soon. We are pursuing my husbands charges via court route and will be filing N1 Monday 21st. I thought I would try a different approach for my own account as I had also heard that the FO are very proactive and Nationwide seem to move faster in this respect.

This should be interesting to compare the two.

Cuddles....CONGRATULATIONS x

Jane

Sorry I should have clarified, I am to write to NW Member Service Dept if I dont hear from them in the next few days

Jane

Hi

Just to update, my friend has successfully followed the FO, route, apparantly, it is very effective, since the sheer numbers of unhappy customers complaining. Everytime they file a complaint Nwide are fined £500 anyway....so it would seem this route may be an amternative to avoid their usual court/letter delaying tactics....food for thought!

Andy

sounds like to FO is the way to go then now. After I received a letter from FO saying that had written on my behalf, nationwide sent me a letter a couple of days later stating they had to deal with my complaint within the number of days as this is what the FO had given them.

The thing that did surprise me is they actually went back further than I orginally done in my letters direct to them and also I had a unpaid direct debit to be taken this month as well they also stated that this would also be reversed, which I never asked for.

The only thing that nationwide did say when they wrote once I had signed the agreement to the figure of refund they did put that if I ever go over my over draft again or have anything unpaid then my account may be closed then. but hopefully as I now have over 2 grand in my account that won't happen!

good luck to all of you how are still trying, I thought that I would never get my money back and now I have!!!!!! still can't believe it

Hi M.J

I just find it on google, have'nt got the details to hand, the Financial Obudsmans Service also have a website as well, giving you all details.

Hope this helps

Cuddles

Hi and thank you for the number. Phoned and talked to a very nice chappie who is sending them a letter of complaint 2nite. Sending me the forms and hopefully they will listen to them. He said something about them having 8 weeks?? have to get a reply by 8th july or another complaint goes in or something. We shall see. He rekons they aren't taking that long tho but they have that as a legal boundry. Fingers crossed and thank you again.

MJ

Hi MJ

2 things.....How much is your claim for?

Also, did you send a letter to Nwide requesting them paying you back your charges, before you contacted the FO. Did they put anything in the letter, like closing your account etc that warranted a complaint?

Thanks Andy

Hi Andrew

My claim is for £3500.00. And i had sent a letter to them a few months ago before i found this site explaining my situation and syaing i couln't keep going with all the charges as i was just getting further and further into debt with each missed dd that was down to the charges in the first place!!! They basically sent a sorry but tough s**t letter. And that if i didn't sort out my account they would take action - that was what i was trying to do with them in the first place. I then sent off for my 6 years statements and then sent the first prelim letter. That was on the 8th may. I told the ombudsman guy all this and he said id done the right things then gave me 3 options. Let him deal with it,do nothing or take it to court.

I rekon its worth giving them a call.

MJ

Hi

Thanks for quick reply MJ!

Certainly sounds interesting, especially in the aim of getting money back quicker if he is successful.....

Would really appreciate it if you could keep this thread updated so i can see how it progresses....

Good Luck!

Andy

Hi received a letter from NW saying they had received the letter of complaint from the ombudsman n saying they are dealing with it ASAP and if i had any probs to contact them at any time - ahhhh thats nice of them! they didnt want to know up to now. Fingers crossed it goes quickly.

Marce x

Hi Marce,

Great news!

One thing, how long from sending FO, the complaint form and prelim response from NW to the point that NW sent you the above response.

Am going to do the same as well........Cant wait to see next stage by them to you, if all goes well, it should by like many others and read we have decided to refund you the balance, sign here, do not be bad again etc etc

Andy

Hi Andy

I sent a letter to the NW telling them bout my situation on 28th Feb. Got a response about 2 weeks later - basically sorry but no cheese!! Then i found this site. Sent for statements on 18 th march and they took the full 40 days and a few more to get them to me. I sent my ist prelim on 8th may and they got back to me withing a week to say no dice matey you should've read the small print sort of thing. I phoned the Ombudsman chappie as on here and got a reply within days. Sooooooooooo now they have till the first week in July to get back to me. You would think that they would get the message about all this charges refunds wouldn't you. Deary me i think i feel a interest rate increase from the banks to compensate lol :rolleyes:

Marce x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just an update for you. this morning i receed a very nice letter from the Nationwide a;pologising for me having to make a complaint to the ombudsman and after investigating the complaint have great pleasure!!! in refunding me all of my money!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D In fact im about £100 a drift but hey i rekon thats worth letting go for the sake of not having to go to court don't you.

Many thanks to all of you for the support and i hope all your claims come right

Mrce xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi M.J. You can find them online, download the claim form, fill in online and print it off then post it off with relevant documents. Job done. I was just about to file my claim but went the F/O way instead yesterday saving myself £120 court costs and apparently if the F/O write to Nationwide on my behalf they also get a £500 fine. Why not give it a go. :D

Forget the last post. I see you're well on the way. Good luck and hope you enjoy spending the cash. I am interested to see how many others will try this route. If enough do maybe the buggers will be the first to crack!!:D

This is a very appealing option, not only for timescale but it seems to impart more gravity to a claim, as well as incentivising it with the £500 'carrot'....

I will read up on this over weekend, and contact them to discuss - I'm desperate for the money (two claims worth around 10,9k and 900), plus I've no faith in Nationwide, delaying either by design or incompetence.

The larger of my two claims is for an account currently suspended by NW (obv due to the fees, unagreed o/d) etc - need to check if they have issued a default against me (they said they weren't going to). If I claim by FOS, I guess I can try to address any default (if relevant), but how would I stand for costs, and interest? I'm guessing I can't claim the 8% as it's not going through courts, so I also presume it's not worth trying the contractual interest thing either?

If the FOS are as good an option as they seem to be, I guess the speed & lack of stress is worth missing out on the Stat interest!

Well done folks !

Hello Surfer01!

Claimants of certain Benefits don't have to pay Court Fees if they File their Claim via the N1 Form.

The very bottom of the following link explains further...

County Court Fees

U are able to Claim the Court Fees back, when U win your Claim anyway.

To everone else...

Nationwide only have to pay a Fee to the FSO when the FSO has to mount a FULL investigation.

A preliminary letter from the FSO to Nationwide doesn't trigger this Fee.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

(Jules Winnfield)

Cheers MTM. I have contacted FOS this morning and the complaint is expected to be actioned in 7-10 days or less. As my complaint regards effects that NW's actions have had on me such as financial problems; failure to access benefits paid into my account; legal actions against me due to the freezing of my account and the effects on my health all because I was not able to keep my account in the black due to me being in hospital following a serious head injury resulting in a fractured skull and brain injury I am confident there will be a full investigation. This can be followed on the thread I started today. May I also say that it is through the advice I have read from you and others like you that I have managed to carry on this far.

TA;)