• Tweets

• Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
    • That's an idea on Maquarie. On being accountable, you also have to blame Ofwat and possibly the Environment Agency although they've been badly defunded. I put the Frost article up for balance.  
    • I agree HB, but there were no laws broken - its perfectly legal to fleece the UK and its infrastructure - and labour were little better than the Tories Perhaps an option would be to ban the aussie investment fund from the UKs markets
    • surprised you gave that frost article the light of day HB Long been the case that no further evidence of his wing-nutishness needed. Heck he even railed against the rubbish grate deal he largely created
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

tagal v Barclays **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6066 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I have sent my LBA letter to Barclays at Customer Services, Leicester as this is where I have been receiving all correspondence from. Should I have sent my LBA letter to Churchill Place or am I OK so far?

Also one technical question, sorry! I had posted a previous message on this site and was asked to start a new thread. I did this, does this mean I have to add any updates etc to this as I can't seem to find it. Not really sure whether I have to post a new thread with each question.

Sorry, did a night shift last night and not with it at the moment.

Thanks for quick response. I have sent LBA letter to Leicester, am I correct in saying that once the time is up for them to respond and I start court proceedings, I should then use Churchill Place address, or continue to use the address I have been using so far.

Its simply a procedure!

Stick to the guidance on CAG and you will do just fine.

Everyone is a bot vervous at teh start taking on Giants Barclays, but as you progress and become familiar of how they work, you will become more confident and by the end you will WANT to face them in court,,,not that that will happen....pity

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

Hi, I have just read an article in the Mail which quotes "A first request for a refund will be rebuffed. A second requests leads the bank to offer half the charges. On the third attempt, the bank will offer three-quarters. If the customer isn't worn down and takes their case to the Ombudsman then the bank pays up in full".

I have sent of my LBA letter and am waiting for a response, but get the feeling they are not going to reply by my deadline.

I am just wondering what you all think of above quote and if anyone has complained to the Ombudsman. I am just wondering at what stage of your claim should you do this. Should I wait for a response to my LBA and then complain. I am not sure I have read that anyone has had charges refunded from writing to the ombudsman.

Does anyone have an idea what I should say in the letter as I would like to word it properly and I am sure it would help others to.

Thank you, I know there are some very clued up people on this site.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, very fed up today.

Story so far:

20th March: Received 6 years statements from Barclays.

3rd April: Sent of letter asking for refund of charges

11th April: Letter from Barclays saying usual **** and they will respond no later than 4th May.

3rd May: Letter from Barclays saying still unable to respond, will respond by 5th June.

5th May: LBA letter sent giving them until 25th May to refund charges.

Today: Letter from Barclays saying still unable to respond will contact me again by 29th June!

I am surely being fobbed off now so I guess now is the time to start proceedings, but am really scared, but I am owed over £4000 with interest. Any encouragement and help would be really appreciated. I have already gone past the date I said I would start proceedings (25th May) as stupidly I was hoping to get some sort of response from them. Who am I kidding. I am going to do the online claim, could someone direct me to the correct site. Would it be OK to ask any questions I have as I go so that I get this dead right.

Thanks

now is the time to start proceedings, but am really scared, but I am owed over £4000 with interest. I have already gone past the date I said I would start proceedings (25th May)

Right you have sent your LBA in, the deadline has expired, they have not responded to your requests, the next thing to do is to start at MCOL.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

complete the forms with the help of:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/34887-5-money-claim-line.html

It doesnt matter when you file, you were being generous by allowing them more time wasnt you??;)

hey hey, if its gets your money back, theyre not stupid questions are they?

Have you done this before? I presume not! so how are you expected to know eh eh eh?

you keep asking those ''IMPORTANT'' questions..OK

• Haha 1

Hi,

Have just received a response to my LBA from Barclays. Basically saying that they do not agree with my letter and are not refunding my charges and have not offered to refund part of them. This was a shock as I thought that Barclays were offering part of the charges back to everyone. Is there anyone who has not had an offer after their LBA.

My worry is that my account was closed by Barclays because I am on a DMP and am paying back a set amount each month to clear my overdraft of around £500. Do you think this is the reason why they are acting this way, because they know that I have no chance taking this further in court. The upsetting thing is I owe them £500 and they owe me over £3000. So if they paid me back my charges I could clear my debt with them. I doubt I would of got in the position I am now in if I hadn't received these charges in the first place.

I have called Barclays in response to their letter and they say that the reason I have may not even had an offer is "maybe, because account was closed with a debt, and that if I want, I should refer to the Financial Ombudsman Service". The lady I spoke to couldnt give me any information other than that.

So, what do I do now?

Contact the ombudsman or start court proceedings or both.

Do you think that because of the financial position I am in, Barclays will show up in court and I will loose. Obviously I know you can't predict what will happen. But I need some advice if you don't mind as I am not legally minded, and am not sure whether should go any further, due to me being on a DMP and do not have funding to fight this if they defend in court.

Sorry, waffled on a bit, but quite upset after receiving letter.

Thank you all

Just to add, the letter states

" Sorry I am to learn that you feel the bank charges you have incurred are unfair, Barclays is aware of the information you have drawn to our attention. I must inform you, however, that we disagree with your view"

They then go on to mention their T&C's relating to the use of their account and details of their charges and "in view of above points we are unwilling to refund charges you have incurred as requested".:x

There have been numerous people on here claiming for a closed account with success. I would continue with your claim through the courts there are people here who can help you with any problems/ questions you may have

Dont worry you will get your money back the letters you have received are B's attempt at getting you to stop the claim

Hope this helps

Saint

Dear Tagal,

I have 2 overdrafts with Barclays. On 1st account o/d is £1250.00. However the charges I have calculated amount to £1525.00

On 2nd account the o/d is £250.00. Charges calculated on that account are £145.00

I never got an offer of any kind with the prelim letter or the LBA. However, they were quick enough to defend my claim filed at court. My view is they can pay up, and clear their books up, or, they can start affecting their bottom line and chalk it up as bad debt. Their choice!

I can't tell you what to do, however I wholeheartedly agree with saintly_1. Better than wondering 'what if' 10 years from now!

Thank you to all of you have replied. I am going to sit down and start claim tonight. Dar£n mentioned alink to look on Moneyclaim on-line particulars of claim on this site. It mentions using N1 form, what is this. Is it part of the MCOL or a different way of claiming. Just wondered what is the best way to do this.

Right Tagal,

N1 form is a form that you can get from your local county court, or you can print off from the link inthe Templates Library of this website.

There is also infomation on how to fill it in.

MCOL is the online way of submitting your N1 form. Can't really make any comments on which one is the best. However, I did N1 paper form and filed it at my local county court.

if you are looking for any remissions or exemptions ofcounty court fees, thenyou wioll need forn EX160 which you get from your local c.c. it tells you the proof you need to take with you to get any reductions/exemptions.

Hope this helps some.

• 1 month later...

OH of tagal. Just a update. Thought I would get the FOS involved, rather then court route, they have replied back saying they agree with me and will be e-mailing barclays with their view which is pay up:)