Default on Amex

DazNorthants
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6420 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had for a number of years an American Express Platium card.

offered my interest free balance transfer for life of around £10k.

Hardly an offer I could refuse.

Of course most people spend on their cards and in the end the bank make their profit.

I didn't spend much in the three years or so just got a nice £10k interest free loan. :)

I then got tempted by the offer of an American Express Gold card.

After 5 months I missed (no was late by 2 days) on a payment and they defaulted the Platinum Card and demanded their £10k back.

I arranged a remortgage that I paid through the nose for but had to get it in a hurry as they sent the boys round after one month.

my question is

has anyone else had this problem and do you think I have a case to get default removed?

Strange as Amercian Express would not even speak to me once the default was issued and said it was in the hands of their debt recovery people.

As this caused a snowball in finance problems it means I have 5 or so banks and credit card companies to chase.

I hope all the nice publicity doesn't make the banks fight harder but HEy bring it on as George might say.

Great site.

Egg Data Protection Act Statements arrived. On hold.

Halifax - Moneyclaim £3100

Amex to Remove Default - acknowledged didn't issue correct documents - default removed :) . £135 paid in full without Court

I'm on a roll now :rolleyes:

Amex issued me with a CCJ for £650! A very nasty company and wouldnt touch them again with a barge pole.

Dont know about the default - but I wish you luck.

They certainly were. If I have a chance to mount some challenge I'd love to go for it.

Amex to Remove Default - acknowledged didn't issue correct documents - default removed :) . £135 paid in full without Court

• 1 month later...

Interesting I have just found a site on how to get default removed. It follows much the format I am familiar with here. DPA then request copy of default etc. Then ask for it to be removed if data not provided. It seems prior to 2005 it is unlikely they would have it. I'll be sending DPA letter to Amex today. The charges are not great but the default is a real bummer

Amex issued me with a CCJ for £650! A very nasty company and wouldnt touch them again with a barge pole.

Dont know about the default - but I wish you luck.

Amex do act quickly in the event of non-payment but that's the key, non-payment. They would not have issued a CCJ overnight. I have been a cardmember for many years and have never had a problem, my claim against them is on behalf of my late Father and his late payment charges are only modest but unlawful nonetheless.

Morgan Stanley are another company that do not waste any time with those of us who pay late, issuing a statutory default to my late Father-in-law for being 14 days late with his monthly payment, despite being informed by phone and in writing of his death.

Your experience with Amex is unfortunate but unless the £650 consisted solely of penalty charges then it is money you spent and you need to repay it. This is not a "get out of jail free" card and one should only claim for unlawful charges, not money that has been spent on the card.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Amex do act quickly in the event of non-payment but that's the key, non-payment. They would not have issued a CCJ overnight. I have been a cardmember for many years and have never had a problem, my claim against them is on behalf of my late Father and his late payment charges are only modest but unlawful nonetheless.

Morgan Stanley are another company that do not waste any time with those of us who pay late, issuing a statutory default to my late Father-in-law for being 14 days late with his monthly payment, despite being informed by phone and in writing of his death.

Your experience with Amex is unfortunate but unless the £650 consisted solely of penalty charges then it is money you spent and you need to repay it. This is not a "get out of jail free" card and one should only claim for unlawful charges, not money that has been spent on the card.

Think you're getting me confused with the originator of this thread! I was merely offering my opinion and experience of Amex...... my account was cleared with them some 5 years ago, and I am not making any claim against them.

I get the feeling someone here might be close to Amex. They defaulted me for 2 late payments over 6 months apart. None were NON PAYMENT just late. I reason behind I am sure is the £10,000 balance was an interest free for life transfer but I didn't fall into their trap to carry on spending so the fat executives could get more money out of me.

Now I never received a copy of the default notice so suspect the strict rules were not followed. So might not be a get out jail free but they might have their fingers burned for being hasty. Time will tell requested information.

• 2 weeks later...

Followed the procedures for removal of default. Got a letter this morning coughing that they did not issue a default notice. Opps sounds like they dropped a clanger. Now next letter requesting it is removed as the CCA regulations have not been followed i.e. it is unlawful. :D

Hope to see the default removed promptly. I suspect they wouldn't want to go to Court as it was placed unlawfully and I had higher credit charges as a result (damages)

DazNorhtants, I had a Blue Amex card and anytime I was late they requested immediate payment of the full balance. Which was nice. I always ignored it and paid the monthly payment which seemed to keep us both happy. They always phone straight after a missed payment too. Not the friendliest bunch but nothing on certain other banks. Awaiting my cheque - I hope you have a result too.

Oh I think it is going to be a long one. Hope you don't fall asleep reading this thread.:)

Well interesting developments with Amex. After letter from them confirming no default notice was issued I wrote asking for it to be removed and as it was confirmed by them in a letter that no default was actually issued I sent it to credit reference agencies. I suggested as they now knew that the information on their files was not correct they had a duty under the Data Protection Act to remove it. I'll have to wait and see on that one.

Now received my DPA statements and written notes, which make interesting reading. The cr*p debt recovery agent "Newman and Co" that Amex used were clearly harrassing me. I now have documentary evidence that they were making around 6-8 calls a day to me at work and threatening to send people to my house. If only then I had known what I know now. Anyway it transpires that I didn't default they just cancelled my accounts because I was late on my Gold card by one day. Cancelled all cards. This is where I need advice....

If they cancelled the cards does the consumer credit act apply after this time? i.e. can they then choose to default me later (although they didn't follow correct procedures). The strange thing is although I took out a loan and settled to the £11,000 plus they asked for they have added interest and my accounts show a debit of £1100 ish. They have never asked for this but continue to create statements with a minimum payment of £35. They have never sent these to me though.

The information reads really strange it is almost like I still have an account. They have stopped adding interest though. Can they add it is no longer credit agreement.

The copies of letters sent by Newman and Co do not correspond to the amount I owed ! Say £2800. I paid £11000.

Anyway I am going to send first request for the £135's worth of late payments charges incurred since I opened my account and see what happens. However as I was defaulted can I add this to my request. But the confusing bit is I was late on Gold card and they default Amex Blue. The Gold card did not have any charges but Blue was £135 and the payment that was later for the Gold card was £150 i.e. most of what they owed me. Hopefully a mod will read this and can advise.

I see from other posts Amex ignore letters and requests for refunds. They did reply quite quick to my first default letter so here's hoping.

I dunno, there must be more to it than you are telling us? Im always late paying my card off BUT have always paid on the same day for the last 3 years (being payday which is 8 days after the closing date for payments).

Mailman

I can assure there is no more to it. But I was late on Gold card (by a few days (because I was out of the Country on hols )! not sure if that makes a difference.

I suspect it is because I had £10,000 interest free balance transfere for life on Blue card and then cut it up and never used it. i.e. £10,000 interest free until it was paid off! They normally expect people to run up bills and then start making a profite. In the 2 years I had it only sent about £40. In late fees on Blue about £135 so not missed that many times really at £20 a pop.

Maybe someone at Amex had a bad day. But I have had contact from others that say Amex are nasty and vindictive. Their DRC is even worse. Their administration is crap and the file notes show both Amex and DRC don't know their A*se from elbow.

I can assure there is no more to it. But I was late on Gold card (by a few days (because I was out of the Country on hols )! not sure if that makes a difference.

I suspect it is because I had £10,000 interest free balance transfere for life on Blue card and then cut it up and never used it. i.e. £10,000 interest free until it was paid off! They normally expect people to run up bills and then start making a profite. In the 2 years I had it only sent about £40. In late fees on Blue about 135 so not a bigun

They removed default ! Yipppppppeeeeee. No questions asked and checked with Equifax and it's gone already.

They managed not to say oppps we dropped one there then :D

Now for my money back too. Only £135 though

• 1 month later...

They sent a cheque to full amount without court or claim.

Well guess I was a valued customer. At the time I suspect they thought "this guy spends lots on cards - so big bucks for us in this" Little did they konw but even by then I had learnt the hard way. Credit cards are not a sensible way to take credit.