• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

NAT WEST will not return my PPI

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5454 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No reply to my letter yet just another statement with arrears needed to be paid immediately.

Daft lot. I am sure these departments do not communicate with each other. And yes - they are still adding "card protection" on to the payments.

I am sick of being taken for a mug, and will fight this all the way to the end now.

maggiebroom :)

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again all

Today I recieved this reply to my letter sent to Nat West (see post #48 )above

Dear Mrs maggiebroom,

re account no: 00000000000000000

Thank you for your letter dated 7th july 2007

Regarding your recent letter concerning the Banks alleged breach of the CCA Act, I would advise you of the following.

Any request for a copy of an executed agreement under s78(1), states that the company must meet it's statuary requirements by providing a 'true copy' of the agreement relevant to the card product at the date the card agreement was made and providing that plus a copy of the current terms of the card product. These copies must be accompanied by the statement of financial information relevant to the account - the state of the account, amount currently due and due dates of future payments that will be required to be made.

The provision of the 'true copy' in this form is made in reliance of Regulations 3(2) and 7(1)(b) of the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983. Particularly 3(2) which permits the copy agreement not to show signatures or personal details that may have appeared on the application part of the document.(aren't the 1983 part of the regulations superseded by the 2004 amendments??) There is no statuary requirement under the Act for us to ever give a copy to a customer with a signature on it. (Surely this can't be right??)

As we have supplied a copy of the application form that you signed, copy of the Terms ans conditions of the card product, a most recent statement showing the outstanding balance and advised you who to contact to discuss amounts due and owing, and future payments that must be made. We have therefore met our obligations under s78(1) to provide a copy of that executed agreement and again we are satisfied that what was provided complied with the Regulations expressly made for what is a 'true copy'. We suggest that you take advice from your local Citizen's Advice Bureau ( patronising B****** ) or other similar organisation (such as the Consumer action group:D) if you continue to doubt the veracity of what we have told you about our having complied with our obligations under s78(1).

We consider that our processing of your personal date is fair, lawful and warranted in the circumstances. Details of these procedures were contained in the credit agreement/application form you would have signed in June 2000 when you applied for the card (after which the card was issued to you) and amended versions that accompanied subsequent Notice of Variations (which will have been sent to you when your card was in use and you didn't, at any time, signify your refusal to consent by repaying the debt and terminating the agreement), and have been notified to the Information Commissioners Office. We are satisfied that information of your account was properly notified to the Credit Reference Agencies and you would have recieved the appropriate Data Protection Act notifications on the reporting of defaults. If you disagree, you have the right to apply to the court to have innacurate perrsoanl data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed. Further information is available from the Information Commissioners website: www Information Commissioners Office.gov.uk. (Surely if the account is in dispute they cannot claim or do this?)

I would inform you that, given the processing of your personal data was consented by you (in the way described above), you cannot retrospectively withdraw your consent after the processing was carried out. We do not accept your notice under Section 10 of the Data Protection Act 1998 and do not intend to comply with it.

I must therefore inform you that we see no reason to enter into further correspondence with you about the alleged CCA and Data Protection Act breaches you lay at our door. If you are not satisfied with this final response, you may seek whatever legal redress you consider is open to you or you may refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service within six months of the date of this letter. I enclose a copy of the Financial Ombudsman's Leaflet. which explains the scope of the service and how a referral can be made.

Your indebtedness on this account remains due and payable and we will be pursuing for the full repayment.

I trust this clarifys matters for you.

Yours sincerely (are they kidding?)

Blue lettering is their actual wording. The red comments are my own.

I would welcome anyones thoughts on this. I have no idea how to respond or what to do next. I really think they are trying to blind me with science, so to speak.

I must admit it does worry me a bit, and I would be interested if anyone can supply a copy of the 1983 regulations as I can't trace one on line. Particularly the sections they are referring to.

Anyone Please?

maggiebroom

Hi again all

Today I recieved this reply to my letter sent to Nat West (see post #48 )above

Dear Mrs maggiebroom,

re account no: 00000000000000000

Thank you for your letter dated 7th july 2007

Regarding your recent letter concerning the Banks alleged breach of the CCA Act, I would advise you of the following.

Any request for a copy of an executed agreement under s78(1), states that the company must meet it's statuary requirements by providing a 'true copy' of the agreement relevant to the card product at the date the card agreement was made and providing that plus a copy of the current terms of the card product. These copies must be accompanied by the statement of financial information relevant to the account - the state of the account, amount currently due and due dates of future payments that will be required to be made.

The provision of the 'true copy' in this form is made in reliance of Regulations 3(2) and 7(1)(b) of the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983. Particularly 3(2) which permits the copy agreement not to show signatures or personal details that may have appeared on the application part of the document.(aren't the 1983 part of the regulations superseded by the 2004 amendments??) There is no statuary requirement under the Act for us to ever give a copy to a customer with a signature on it. (Surely this can't be right??)

As we have supplied a copy of the application form that you signed, copy of the Terms ans conditions of the card product, a most recent statement showing the outstanding balance and advised you who to contact to discuss amounts due and owing, and future payments that must be made. We have therefore met our obligations under s78(1) to provide a copy of that executed agreement and again we are satisfied that what was provided complied with the Regulations expressly made for what is a 'true copy'. We suggest that you take advice from your local Citizen's Advice Bureau ( patronising B****** ) or other similar organisation (such as the Consumer action group:D) if you continue to doubt the veracity of what we have told you about our having complied with our obligations under s78(1).

We consider that our processing of your personal date is fair, lawful and warranted in the circumstances. Details of these procedures were contained in the credit agreement/application form you would have signed in June 2000 when you applied for the card (after which the card was issued to you) and amended versions that accompanied subsequent Notice of Variations (which will have been sent to you when your card was in use and you didn't, at any time, signify your refusal to consent by repaying the debt and terminating the agreement), and have been notified to the Information Commissioners Office. We are satisfied that information of your account was properly notified to the Credit Reference Agencies and you would have recieved the appropriate Data Protection Act notifications on the reporting of defaults. If you disagree, you have the right to apply to the court to have innacurate perrsoanl data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed. Further information is available from the Information Commissioners website: www Information Commissioners Office.gov.uk. (Surely if the account is in dispute they cannot claim or do this?)

I would inform you that, given the processing of your personal data was consented by you (in the way described above), you cannot retrospectively withdraw your consent after the processing was carried out. We do not accept your notice under Section 10 of the Data Protection Act 1998 and do not intend to comply with it.

I must therefore inform you that we see no reason to enter into further correspondence with you about the alleged CCA and Data Protection Act breaches you lay at our door. If you are not satisfied with this final response, you may seek whatever legal redress you consider is open to you or you may refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service within six months of the date of this letter. I enclose a copy of the Financial Ombudsman's Leaflet. which explains the scope of the service and how a referral can be made.

Your indebtedness on this account remains due and payable and we will be pursuing for the full repayment.

I trust this clarifys matters for you.

Yours sincerely (are they kidding?)

Blue lettering is their actual wording. The red comments are my own.

I would welcome anyones thoughts on this. I have no idea how to respond or what to do next. I really think they are trying to blind me with science, so to speak.

I must admit it does worry me a bit, and I would be interested if anyone can supply a copy of the 1983 regulations as I can't trace one on line. Particularly the sections they are referring to.

Anyone Please?

maggiebroom

Hello Maggie,

please post this letter on this thread, there are a few experts on there that are terribly knowledgeable re the cca.

I would also be very interested in their comments,

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Hi hellhasnofury

I think its my turn to be thick. :D

What do you mean by post on this thread??

The thing is they haven't answered any of the points of my letter, but have just quoted irrelevant facts.

I too would be very interested in ANY comments

maggiebroom ;)

Hi hellhasnofury

I think its my turn to be thick. :D

What do you mean by post on this thread??

The thing is they haven't answered any of the points of my letter, but have just quoted irrelevant facts.

I too would be very interested in ANY comments

maggiebroom ;)

Hiya Maggie

Sorry Maggie it was my turn to be dense I think, I forgot to link the the relevant thread

:lol: Will get back with it soon.

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

“(1) A regulated agreement is not properly executed unless a document in the prescribed form itself containing all the prescribed terms and conforming to regulations under section 60(1) is signed in the prescribed manner both by the debtor or hirer and by or on behalf of the creditor or owner.”

hope this helps

BB

:mad:LF53

Hello Maggie, here it is

Consumer Credit Act Agreements

Cut and paste your letter and their response for opinions on this thread

Hi Hellhasnofury

I have put the letter on the CCA Thread (406 pages long or something phew!!), so

hopefully somone will have a good answer for us.

Beggars belief though doesn't it. Lets wait and see what our resident experts say.

maggiebroom :)

having read though your thread, IMHO, i think there letter is a bit of a bluff and what they are really saying is that they cant supply you with a signed copy Cos, they dont have one

Hi baldy Baldwin

I agree - I think they are bluffing, but if I go back with a clever reply, what happens if they don't continue the correspondence as they have threatened?? :) Am I stuck in the middle without a paddle so to speak? interesting though isn't it. :confused:

maggiebroom

I have that Scorpius

Now I want back all that I have paid in since I became ineligible to claim

That was 2003 when I became unemployed through retirement.

Sneaky sods didn't stop taking it though I couldn't have claimed after 2003 anyway.

maggiebroom

Yesterday I went to my local library and looked up the 1983 Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations, particularly The sections Nat West have quoted in the above letter (see post #53) please.

This is the quote of the sections.

General requirements as to form and content of copy documents

3.-- (1) Subject to the following provisions of these regulations, every copy of an executed agreement, security intstrument or other document reffered to in the Act and delivered or sent to a Debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act shall be a true copy thereof.

(2) There may be omitted from any such copy -

(a) any information included in an executed agreement, security instruction, or other document relating to the debtor, hirer or surety or included for the use of the creditor or owner only which is not required to be included therein by the Act or Regulation thereunder as to the form and content of the document of which it is a copy;

(b) any signature box, signature or date of signature (other than, in the case of a cancellable executed agreement delivered to the debtor under section 63(1) of the Act, the date of the signature by the debtor of an agreement to which section 68(b) of the Act applies);

© in the case of a copy of the unexecuted agreement delivered or sent to the debtor or the hirer under section 62 of the Act, the name and adress of the debtor or hirer; and

(d) in the case of any copy given to the debtor under section 77(1) of the Act of an executed agreement for fixed sum credit under which a person takes any article in pawn, any description of the article taken in pawn.

Copies of agreements or security instruments where the agreement or security instrument has been varied

7. (1) Where an agreement has been varied in sccordance with section 82(1) of the Act, every copy of the executed agreement given to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act other than section 85(1) shall include either --

(a) an easily legible copy of the latest notice of variation given in accordance with section 82(1) of the Act relating to each discrete term of the agreement has been varied; or

(b) an easily legible statement of the terms of the agreement as varied in accordance with section 82(1) of the Act.

Could someone please have a look at this for me and if possible explain to me what it means in plain English so that I can understand and compose my reply to Nat West.

So far I cannot get any response to the letter, from Caggers, even transferring it to the CCA thread did not get any response, so I am desparate to get some sort of advice on this. I need to know what to reply to these quotes. I am sure they can't be correct, in my case. However..... I am not a lawyer.

Many Many thanks in advance

maggiebroom

Yesterday I went to my local library and looked up the 1983 Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations, particularly The sections Nat West have quoted in the above letter (see post #53) please.

This is the quote of the sections.

3.-- (1) Subject to the following provisions of these regulations, every copy of an executed agreement, security intstrument or other document reffered to in the Act and delivered or sent to a Debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act shall be a true copy thereof.

(2) There may be omitted from any such copy -

(a) any information included in an executed agreement, security instruction, or other document relating to the debtor, hirer or surety or included for the use of the creditor or owner only which is not required to be included therein by the Act or Regulation thereunder as to the form and content of the document of which it is a copy;

(b) any signature box, signature or date of signature (other than, in the case of a cancellable executed agreement delivered to the debtor under section 63(1) of the Act, the date of the signature by the debtor of an agreement to which section 68(b) of the Act applies);

© in the case of a copy of the unexecuted agreement delivered or sent to the debtor or the hirer under section 62 of the Act, the name and adress of the debtor or hirer; and

(d) in the case of any copy given to the debtor under section 77(1) of the Act of an executed agreement for fixed sum credit under which a person takes any article in pawn, any description of the article taken in pawn.

Copies of agreements or security instruments where the agreement or security instrument has been varied

7. (1) Where an agreement has been varied in sccordance with section 82(1) of the Act, every copy of the executed agreement given to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act other than section 85(1) shall include either --

(a) an easily legible copy of the latest notice of variation given in accordance with section 82(1) of the Act relating to each discrete term of the agreement has been varied; or

(b) an easily legible statement of the terms of the agreement as varied in accordance with section 82(1) of the Act.

Could someoneplease have a look at this for me and if possible explain to me what it means in plain English so that I can understand and compose my reply to Nat West.

So far I cannot get any response to the letter, from Caggers, even transferring it to the CCA thread did not get any response, so I am desparate to get some sort of advice on this. I need to know what to reply to these quotes. I am sure they can't be correct, in my case. However..... I am not a lawyer.

Many Many thanks in advance

maggiebroom

Hello Maggie,

I think maybe your post got a bit overlooked on the cca thread. Somebody will be able to help with this, I do think they are calling the bluff at bit, but alas like yourself I am no lawyer. Will bump up the thread on cca thread and send a few pm's for you:-D

Thanks hell :)

Take no notice of me. For some reason I have the blues today. I think it is wondering how I can beat Nat West that is doing it.

Perhaps someone will answer now.

I always have you though ;) and very grateful I am too.

maggiebroom

Thanks hell :)

Take no notice of me. For some reason I have the blues today. I think it is wondering how I can beat Nat West that is doing it.

Perhaps someone will answer now.

I always have you though ;) and very grateful I am too.

maggiebroom

Sorry you have the blues today, but come on, we will get there, this is a great site, we just have to be patient. We will get the expert advice and then through it straight back at them.

This process is at time disheartening, but lets look at the bigger picture, success will come:-D

PPS

Can anyone supply the relevant sections they are quoting from the Consumer Credit (Cancellation and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983?

It would be very interesting to see how it differs from the CCA Act 1974.

maggiebroom :confused:

The 1983 Regs do allow the creditor to ommit personal information and signatures.

Paul

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

PPS

Can anyone supply the relevant sections they are quoting from the Consumer Credit (Cancellation and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983?

It would be very interesting to see how it differs from the CCA Act 1974.

maggiebroom :confused:

The 1983 Regs do allow the creditor to ommit personal information and signatures.

Paul

Winston Churchill

Paul

Thanks for your reply Paul.

However my arguement is that they have not supplied any of the financial prescribed terms. I have no problem with the signatures, but nothing else is on the paper which states at the top that it is an APPLICATION FORM

Does this make a difference to the 1983 regs. I am confused now, which is why I am seeking advice or opinions from other Caggers.

maggiebroom

Paul

Have a look at post #44 which has a copy of the agreement/application form Nat West sent me and see what you think Paul

Maggiebroom

Have a look at post #44 which has a copy of the agreement/application form Nat West sent me and see what you think Paul

Maggiebroom

Peterbard will be usefull to contact.

Paul

Winston Churchill

Dear

HI

I hope the letter below may be off some use.

Regarding the issue of what a true copy means i have copied a response from the DTI on that matter from i letter is sent a little while ago you may want to enlighten them by including a bit of the contents in the letter.I have highlighted the relevant bits.

Thank you for your letter dated ******** in response to the queries I had about the response to my earlier request made under section 78 of the consumer credit act.

I am afraid that you still have not supplied the information requested in said act and there fore are still in default.

The request is for post contractual information as regulated by section 180 of the act the regulation you speak of is contained within Statutory Instruments 1983/1557 which reads:

3.-(1) Subject to the following provisions of these Regulations, every copy of an executed agreement, security instrument or other document referred to in the Act and delivered or sent to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act shall be a true copy thereof.

(2) There may be omitted from any such copy-

(a) any information included in an executed agreement, security instru­ment or other document relating to the debtor, hirer or surety or included for the use of the creditor or owner only which is not required to be included therein by the Act or any Regulations there under as to the form and content of the document of which it is a copy;

(b) any signature box, signature or date of signature (other than, in the case of a copy of a cancelable executed agreement delivered to the debtor under section 63(1) of the Act, the date of signature by the debtor of an agreement to which section 68(b) of the Act applies);

As you can see the only omission allowed by this regulation is the signature box of the Debtor/ Hirer, all other aspects of form and content including prescribed terms,cancellation details etc. are required in order to fill the requirements’ of a true copy.

Regarding the enforceability issue due to incorrect pre-contractual form and content:

As per section 127(3) of the act the minimum requirement for a court to consider enforcing a agreement of this type(Running account Credit) is that it should have the Debtor/ Hirer’s signature and all the prescribed terms contained in Statutory instruments 1983/1553 Schedule 6; As directed by section 60 of the Act

• Credit limit• Rate of interest • Repayments

If any of these items are missing then a court cannot enforce any agreement made and regulated by the Act prior to April 6th 2007.T

The absence of all other aspects of the agreement relating to form and content as defined in the Agreement Regulations (1983/1553) render the contract enforceable only by order of the court.

Optional (I remind you that you are in now in default and any interest that has been charged to this account during this period will be void .If it has as been more that 42 days since my initial request you are guilty of an offence which shall be reported to the OFT for possible action that may involve litigation or review of your licence to offer credit)

Yours etc

dti

21 December 2006

Re consumer credit act 1974

Thank you for your letter of the 7th of December on behalf of your constituent Mr Peter Bardsley of******************* about a possible irregularity in the Consumer Credit act 1974.

The Consumer Credit (Prescribed Periods for Giving Information) Regulations apply to all the situations that ate listed in the Schedule to the Regulations and this include Sections 77 and 78 of the Act, which are about copies of the executed agreement and not pre contractual information

The Cancellation Notices and copies of Documents Regulations are made under Section 180 of the Act ) power to prescribe the form etc of documents) and Section 180 enables Regulations to be made to provide for including/excluding certain information from copies sent out under the Act. The Regulations apply to all copies sent our under the Act unless specifically excluded in the Regulations themselves.

Mr Bardsley describes a situation in which he was sent a copy of a company’s standard Terms and Conditions when requesting a copy of a signed agreement form. Just sending the Terms and Conditions is a breach of the Act and Regulations as, apart from the information that the Regulations provide that you may exclude, the copy must be a “true copy” of the agreement**

If Mr Bardsley feels that the rules are being flouted he should report the companies concerned to Trading standards and the Office of Fair Trading. It is also a breach of the Act and the Regulations to send the application form rather that a “true copy” of the Agreement.

On the point that Mr Bardsley makes about unscrupulous companies adjusting agreements, If there were a dispute about an agreement, the lender would need to prove to a court that there was an agreement and, it is highly likely that the lender would have to produce the original signed document to prove they had and agreement with the consumer to start with,

The lender should need to prove to a court that there was and agreement **and, it is highly likely that the lender would have to produce the original signed document to prove they had an agreement with the consumer to start with. If the lender can’t prove the existence of the agreement, winning any court case would prove difficult.

Approved By the Minister and signed in His presence

Pp Ian Mc Cartney

If you need any more information i will be pleased to do all i can please PM me

Best regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS