• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Endeavour Personal Finance & Loanmakers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5215 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone!!

Thought I would start a thread about the above two companies that I have had the misfortune to deal with!

EPF missold me PPI back in 2003. They just added it and never told me I had the option. We seriously needed the money and never realised it was on there. You should see the contract! It doesnt even show how much interest on the loan!! Just loan amount, PPI amount and total. Blank boxes everywhere and boxes already ticked for us.

This loan was settled in Aug 2006 by another loan that we got via Loanmakers (loan with NEMO). Once again we was missold PPI. I mentioned husband had a generous package with work but got told as we had bad credit rating it would not go through without:evil:

I have written to loanmakers and they have investigated claim. Sent me a chq of £395 which was the broker fee they added to my loan without informing me!!!?!?!? However they cannot find any record of the conversation and told me they cannot believe it was misselling. Told me to go to the Financial Obmusmun. So complaint being logged with them as we spk.

I have just sent my first letter to EPF requesting PPI back and complaining about the amount to settle the loan (rule 78 was used) so I will let you know how that goes too.

Fingers crossed.

Tilly

Hi everyone!!

Thought I would start a thread about the above two companies that I have had the misfortune to deal with!

EPF missold me PPI back in 2003. They just added it and never told me I had the option. We seriously needed the money and never realised it was on there. You should see the contract! It doesnt even show how much interest on the loan!! Just loan amount, PPI amount and total. Blank boxes everywhere and boxes already ticked for us.

This loan was settled in Aug 2006 by another loan that we got via Loanmakers (loan with NEMO). Once again we was missold PPI. I mentioned husband had a generous package with work but got told as we had bad credit rating it would not go through without:evil:

I have written to loanmakers and they have investigated claim. Sent me a chq of £395 which was the broker fee they added to my loan without informing me!!!?!?!? However they cannot find any record of the conversation and told me they cannot believe it was misselling. Told me to go to the Financial Obmusmun. So complaint being logged with them as we spk.

I have just sent my first letter to EPF requesting PPI back and complaining about the amount to settle the loan (rule 78 was used) so I will let you know how that goes too.

Fingers crossed.

Tilly

Hello,

They truely are a law unto themselves, aren't they. but we are a bit more educated now.

Wishing you good luck and yes please keep us posted

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Hi Tilly,

There is still a bit of debate regarding the Rule of 78, This rule was changed in Feb 2005 so that the rule of 78 was no longer used on new agreements, The FSA themselves considered that the rule of 78 was unfair towards the consumer.

If challenging the Rule of 78 it could be a bit tricky if the loan was taken out before 2005, If it did go to court it could well be decided that the rule of 78 was in fact acceptable under the Consumer Credit Act that was in force at the time the loan was taken out. Reclaiming for an early settlement charge that was made under that rule may prove a bit harder to get back from the companies.

Having said that I did Reclaim an Early Settlement Interest charge that was made on a loan I settled and which was calculated using the rule of 78. The loan was in fact taken out prior to 2005 and after some complaints to the company involved, I finally issued a summons for the recovery of the Charge. The day after they recieved the summons I got an offer from them to settle, Though they did state that their Legal Eagles had considered my legal arguements regarding the charge , and although the believed that my arguments were in fact flawed, they offered to settle the claim in Full as long as I agreed to dismiss the court case, which I did. The refund was also made as a Gesture of Goodwill.

Im sorry my reply has got a bit long winded But at least you have some idea of what you may face if you challenge the rule of 78.

To my Knowledge (but I could well be wrong) I have not come across any claims on here challenging the rule of 78 that have gone all the way through court.

Good Luck

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Thanks Ian for the rule of 78 info :)

I received a very long reply from EPF today telling me that they were not in the wrong for using rule of 78 and how it can still be used if the loan has over 10 years to run blah blah blah.

They also confirmed that I had used a broker to get the loan so it would have been them that missold the PPI to me. They gave me and address and phone number. It was infact 'Debtbuster loans' who were going by the name of 'central capital' at the time.:confused:

They told me that my contract was not illegal as pre 2005 it was not compulsory to put the total interest etc on the contract????? Please help as I am not sure on this???

I am however still going to take them to court using the rule of 78 to be unfair and unlawful. I know its a long shot!! I have phoned and left a message to the man who sent the letter to tell him this!!! He is on lunch. Hope it makes him choke on his sarnie!!!!!:mad:

Really I need as much help as possible on this.

Phoned central capital (debtbusters) and they have no record of us applying through them on thier computer system as it has been renewed. Lady assured me that she will get it looked into and find some details. I told her that I was claiming missold PPI. I am going to write to them later.

I hope all this makes sense to everyone.

Thanks for reading and would be grateful for some help. I have three little ones and its hard to find the time for all this so any help with info is much appreciated.

Love

Tilly

x

Hi,

I dont think you will get them on the rule of 78 being Unlawful, Unfair YES perhaps..

But it is of course worth while complaining and see what reaction you get..

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone!!

Fingers crossed.

Tilly

Hiya Tilly,

Well what a coincidence.:rolleyes:

In 2005 we had a loan from nemoloans arranged by e-loans and cleared the EPF loan, then we had a further advance from nemo last year, but asked if we could have the loan without the ppi, they were not having it, and we even mentioned that we can have a cheaper standalone cover, like yourself I bet you know how expensive this is from nemo, as they use Norwich union for this.

We had cancelled the ppi last Sept 06 and gave hardly anything in refund after complaining we believed we were mis sold.:evil:

We also have life covers each etc with our own bank and have done for years. So we didnt really need this either from them.

They sent us a recorded disc of where we came across my hubby telling nemo (Sarah Clifford) we would like to just have the loan quote without the added ppi, but she wouldn't have it, and like yourself, my conversation is missing, of where I dug deeper about this on the phone to her.

This has been in with the financial ombudsman since last Nov 06, and at present our complaint is upheld, at least not rejected as the FOS caseworker believes this was mis sold but Nemo are denying any responsibility of this.

When we received the documents, the main figure was in smallprint.

I do hope they sort this out for you, good luck, and sorry you have problems with these too.

Please get back to me, I would like to hear from you regarding this company.

Cheers Di x;)

• 5 months later...

Sorry, I started this post a while back and have not updated. Not really got anywhere to be honest.

Nemo loan is in the hands of the FOS and has been for months. They are currently awaiting on some scripts from Loanmakers (the broker).

The other loan which was taken out prior to FOS jurisdiction in 2003 was with Endeavour Personal Finance and the broker was Central Trust. Received a letter from Central Trust back in May saying it was taken before regulations came in to effect and that they see the complaint finished! After receiving that letter I just left it until I recently saw a post on here about taking them to court. I wrote a LBA last week and recieved a response today.

First please do not think I am being antagonistic as we realise the sale of insurance is an emotive subject but we are aware that there has been significant press activity in regards to the misselling of PPI and that several organisations have provided 'standard' complaint letters for customers to use. The template letter you have opted to use on this occasion actually relates to bank charges not the sale of PPI.

It goes on about it being not legally or regulatory to provide advice verbally in respect of PPI in 2003.

Then it goes on about the fact that this is thier full and final response.

Not happy with that I sent her an email today as follows:-

Thank you for your letter dated 21st November 2007.

I am writing to let you know that I will not be accepting your full and final response. I do appreciate that thier were no regulatory requirements in 2003 for the selling of Payment Protection Insurance. However, I legally have a right to challenge the way this insurance was sold to me personally. I do understand that the way this insurance was added to our loan was done in a fraudulent manner and it is for that reason I will be filing my claim with the courts.

In order for us to claim we do require copies of any data that you hold about us. Would you like us to send you a Data Protection Act letter and the standard £10.00 fee? Could you please confirm who we need to address the letter to?

We do have a lot of information sent to us from Endeavour Personal finance, but we would like copies of telephone conversations. Scripts or recordings would both be acceptable.

I look forward to hearing from you.

and I have just had this email response:-

Thank you for e-mail below. We do not require a Data Protection Act letter requesting information, however if you wish to send a copy for your own records you are welcome to. Please note we do not require a £10.00 fee to covers costs, as company policy we do not charge for the provision of such information.

I will collate the information required and send to you as soon as possible, please note that a statutory time period of 40 days is granted for this action.

As advised in my letter dated 25th May 2007, we are unable to locate the original sales call. At the time of your application we did not record all telephones calls and despite thorough searches we are unable to locate the calls. In addition, as the broker we hold very limited information. All signed copies of your documentation were forwarded to Endeavour Personal Finance once your application was submitted to them for approval. I will provide any information we hold.

The address for service of any documents in connection with legal action is

Legal and Compliance Director

Central Trust PLC

Austin House

Stannard Place

St Crispins Road

Norwich

Norfolk

NR3 1PX

Upon receipt of the appropriate papers we will instruct our solicitors to both defend the action and seek an order for costs.

Okay where do I go from here. I have all the papers and they are telling me there are no scripts or recordings!!! What does 'seek and order for costs' mean. Am I going to be out of pocket?

Sorry for the longest post in history! I am so angry that we were told to take out this PPI as it would help the application.

grrrrrrrrrr

Tilly

Could be just a scare tactic, but as I've just mentioned in another thread, banks to seem to be more inclined to defend these claims.

It is normal in any court case for the winning party to seek their costs from the loser - just as you could do if you won

(Edit) - this may not apply to the small claims court BTW, but in some cases the sums of money involved may take it higher than this. ;)

Could be just a scare tactic, but as I've just mentioned in another thread, banks to seem to be more inclined to defend these claims.

It is normal in any court case for the winning party to seek their costs from the loser - just as you could do if you won

(Edit) - this may not apply to the small claims court BTW, but in some cases the sums of money involved may take it higher than this. ;)

Sorry to hijack Tilly! RRon, do you really think that it would be harder to win PPI cases in court? I am at stalemate with a couple of banks and am not sure how to go forward.

Sorry again Tilly :)

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

No worries Hopeful. I am wondering the same thing now. Afterall most people stung by this PPI thing, especially the secured loan ones, are people not financially stable. What is the point in taking a company to court if you are going to have to pay court and solicitor fees if you lose?? These crooks have already taken thousands of pounds from me. To think they could get even more money off me is not even worth thinking about!

Do you think you will fight then Tilly? It's so difficult when you're struggling and then realise you're paying out for something you don't even need / want.

I can't remember if you've posted it but did they have the CA? Did they send you a policy. I can't get mine for love nor money :mad:

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

No worries Hopeful. I am wondering the same thing now. Afterall most people stung by this PPI thing, especially the secured loan ones, are people not financially stable. What is the point in taking a company to court if you are going to have to pay court and solicitor fees if you lose?? These crooks have already taken thousands of pounds from me. To think they could get even more money off me is not even worth thinking about!

Hello Tilly,,

Sorry to hear you sound so dispondant. They are already winning with you. These companies will state and threaten anything to put you off.

You have to ask why are the OFT and the FSA investigating the practices of these financial companies, because they have been monitoring the practices of payment protection insurance and have found thousands of customers have been mis-sold these policies, that are expensive and useless.

Now regarding court costs, it really depends on which track the case is allocated to, and again this depends on the amount of the claim.

Maybe read around threads involving court fees, to eleviate your worries, these things don't need to be rushed, so just take your time and think about what you want to do.

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Tilly just read your thread I to have the same problem with Central Trust they sent me exactly the same letter about not wanting to be antagonistic but as insurance was not regulated in 2003 blah blah blah this is their final response and they will only answer if any further letters are from a legal representative.

I think they have got away with murder, my agreement (loan with London Mortgage Company) was already ticked for PPI they also didn't show amount of interset. I do have a recording of sales call and although there are obvious blatant lies by the sales person Central Capital will not budge. I don't intend to give up though

Hello Tilly,,

Sorry to hear you sound so dispondant. They are already winning with you. These companies will state and threaten anything to put you off.

You have to ask why are the OFT and the FSA investigating the practices of these financial companies, because they have been monitoring the practices of payment protection insurance and have found thousands of customers have been mis-sold these policies, that are expensive and useless.

Now regarding court costs, it really depends on which track the case is allocated to, and again this depends on the amount of the claim.

Maybe read around threads involving court fees, to eleviate your worries, these things don't need to be rushed, so just take your time and think about what you want to do.

Yes, I know I am beginning to sound very despondent. The latest letter has really got to me. I have won a good few bank charges cases but this seems like a complete kettle of fish to me? Thank you for reading my posts. I will indeed look around at the court case ones. Think I might end up studying for a law degree to help me!

Tilly

Tilly just read your thread I to have the same problem with Central Trust they sent me exactly the same letter about not wanting to be antagonistic but as insurance was not regulated in 2003 blah blah blah this is their final response and they will only answer if any further letters are from a legal representative.

I think they have got away with murder, my agreement (loan with London Mortgage Company) was already ticked for PPI they also didn't show amount of interset. I do have a recording of sales call and although there are obvious blatant lies by the sales person Central Capital will not budge. I don't intend to give up though

Hi Griff!! Thanks for the reply. They really are swines arent they?!?! Letter wasnt from a Ms Brooks by any chance was it?? Would love to meet her!!! I will keep updating this thread so keep reading. Maybe we can help each other take this bunch of imbeciles to court!!???

Tilly

Hi Tilly my letter was from Brendan Wilson Senior Compliance Manager, I really think they are playing on the fact that before 2005 insurance wasn't regulated

They think this relieves them from there duty of care etc. Just trying to get my head round Misrepresentation Act 1967, my letter states they can only investigate a complaint based on regulatory requirements at the time so just thinking of another route. I will keep you posted

Subscribing as helping friends to reclaim PPI which increased secured loan by 20K. I hope you all succeed as it is the rip off of the century:mad:

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Yes, I know I am beginning to sound very despondent. The latest letter has really got to me. I have won a good few bank charges cases but this seems like a complete kettle of fish to me? Thank you for reading my posts. I will indeed look around at the court case ones. Think I might end up studying for a law degree to help me!

Tilly

Hello Tilly,

I feel just pace yourself, its not a race, If we all work together, we can learn to crack this nut. I successfully reclaimed back over £11,000 from two companies, in mis-sold ppi in June this year, It did take a lot of letters, but I eventually caught them out without the need for court. But I was determined they would not get away with it.

I am in the process of trying to reclaim back ppi from 3 previous loans with one company and I have reached stalemate with them, they will not disclose information and ignore all correspondence, so this one I will have to take to court, but I am not rushing this till I know I have a watertight case against them. Alanfromderby has just started a thread on legislation to help reclaim ppi, so if we all read around and contribute we can all help each other. Many heads are better than one, you are not alone on this one.;)

No, you are right. We need to have a watertight case otherwise we are going to find ourselves with massive court bills to pay :mad:

I will definately let you know the results of my research and will be keeping up with yours. Good luck.

Tilly

hi tilly

i have just been reading your thread, i too nearly gave up as i have no alternative than to take ocean finance to court, they too have sent me their final response letter but i have written back saying that it certainly isn't my final response and with the encouragement of hellhasnofury and seeing other caggers in the same shoes i've decided no matter how long it takes i'm not going to let these monet grabbers get away with it any longer and i want my hard earned money back. don't ever forget tilly this is your money that they have basically robbed from you and you deserve it back, hell is right if we all stick together and post whatever information we have we will finally nail these blood suckers, or should i say money suckers, lol

keep your chip up hun

luv gem x x :D

No, you are right. We need to have a watertight case otherwise we are going to find ourselves with massive court bills to pay :mad:

I will definately let you know the results of my research and will be keeping up with yours. Good luck.

Tilly

Hello tilly,

Where are you getting these massive court bills from, nobody has gone to court with ppi, lost and had to pay massive court bills.