Dog mauled cat, neighbours' harassment, court on 30/11/07

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5930 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thats fantastic news, and I know how you feel about not worrying about he expense!

Matt

Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton.

Advice offered by MattyH is without predjudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt. Please research any information I have offered, as I will not be held liable for any incorrect advice i've given you.

<--------- If my advice has helped, please tip my scales. 8)

For Further advice come into the Chat Room: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/chat/flashchat.php

FAQ's : http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Step By Step Instructions ; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news, den :)

I know it may sound a little odd, and you may find it distressing, but I would advocate taking as many pictures of Rosie in her injured state as you can. If you have to make a formal complaint to Police, the RSPCA, etc., you will need some form of concrete evidence of all her hurts. Ask the vet to give you a list of her hurts as well, and all the treatment that subsequently had to be carried out.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Thanks for the advice demon, I can collect her this afternoon, she is currently being transferred from the Emergency Veterinary hospital to my local vets.

They have said they will give me a breakdown of all her treatment and medication.

I haven't called the RSPCA yet, I want to give the neighbours a chance to make an offer of payment, but I can only do that once I have the final invoice and a breakdown of her treatment to give to them.

I will be taking alot of photographs and will ask the RSPCA if they can spare me a visit this week.

den3371:p

Some may or not be aware that last weekend my cat was savaged by 2 out of control and unsupervised dogs. To cut a long story short, the vet bill has come to £700 + any further ongoing treatment.

The owners said they would pay but are now giving me the run around.

I want to take them to the small claims court and understand that I need to give them 14 days notice before proceeding with my claim, however, the owners will not give me their names!!

I know the address as they are my neighbours. How can I find out their names? They are council tenants.

I have already informed our Council's Dog Warden section and notified them of what happened by makeing an Official Complaint.

Ant tips/advice of how to get their names, would be great.

Thank you

Denise

Try the electoral roll too? If you go to 192.com (or similar, sorry can't remember) you may have to pay a small fee but you may be able to find their names through there.

What about asking your postman too? Not sure if he can give name (Data Protection etc) but you might catch a glimpse? May be worth a try.

I would have contacted the Police in the first instance.

Why not ask your other neighbours if they know their names

Hi

I did contact the Police, but as it is a 'Civil Matter' they won't get involved. The RSPCA are the same (believe it ir not) the only people listening or helping me at the mo is the Local Council Dog Warden section!

Hi bispers

I tried 192.com, but as I don't know the name it won't give out any info. I did think about the postman, but missed him this morning as I had to take my cat for a check up at the Vets.

Will try asking the Neighbours.

I meant contacting the police with regard to them being dangerous dogs and not to get their names.

If your animals were attacked in a public area, see highlighted part of Dangerous Dogs Act

The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, bans the ownership, breeding, sale (both national and international) and exchange of certain types of fighting dogs – the ban currently covers pure breeds and cross breeds with the same physical and behavioural characteristics as the Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino and Fila Braziliero. The maximum fine for having a banned dog is £5000 and/or 6 months in prison and the dog may be destroyed.

Section 3 of the act applies to all dogs that are dangerously out of control in a public place (it does not apply to dogs in their own garden who jump up at visitors). If a dog acts in a way in which someone fears they will be attacked, then an offence is committed. The fines are up to £5000 and/or 6 months in prison and the Courts may order the dog to be destroyed.

A Police Officer or dog warden may seize a banned dog or a dog that is dangerously out of control. If you wish to report a dangerous dog, please contact the Police on (your local number) or the dog wardens on (your local number). The Courts can also issue a warrant for the police to enter a building and seize a dog.

Hope this helps

Paul

• Haha 1

Best bet will probably be to get a sneaky look at the mail - do you have letterboxes or outside mailboxes or a communal drop type place? Little bit of social engineering with the postman along the lines of - 'oh I'm just going for coffee with them, I'll take their mail for you' will possibly work better than asking to see their mail.

• Haha 1

Hi Paul

Will ring them back (I have a Crime Number) I did call them about being Dangerous Dogs (not for their names! lol:) ) these are Staffs and were let loose in a Communal Garden (my OP is in Landlords/Tenanat under Dogs & Communal Gardens)

Wll call them again and see if anything is going to be done about it.

Thanks

Denise

Hi blacksheep

My postman was obviously a bit late this morning! I have the girls name from him but not her Partner's. They are his Dogs. Tried going to 192.com he doesn't appear to be registered at that address.

Better than nothing! If I can't get his name - she will get landed with it.

Guest Bert52

Go back to the police and make a complaint which then must be looked into.

Stress it was in a public place and, as far as you are aware, the dogs did not, and still do not, have any collars on when in public and therefore no address tag.

This is an offence and is not therefore a civil matter.

Yes but if she's smart she will go to court and state the dogs are not hers - total waste of time. Best to just get it done properly and wait to try intercept some of his post or get the info from the police.

LOL, Whats the sneaky way? :lol:

Blacksheep, Was only joking mate.

Den, If you have a crime ref from the Police just contact the police and ask for the OPs details from them as you are intending to raise a civil claim against the OP.

Paul

Thanks for your help guys.

I have the girls name (nice Postman!) but it's the man's details that I don't have. She is listed on the Electoral roll, but as a single occupier, noone else is listed.

I have the man's car reg and went onto the DVLA site, but they won't give out that info because of Data Protection.

The Police won't get involved at all! I called them again earlier and was told that all they would do is refer my complaint to the Council Dog Warden, which I have done already!

The Postman today was not the regular one, so I may just 'set up camp' and wait for the regular postie as he may know the man's name. All I have (I think) is his first name.

I received all the cats details re: wounds, how many, type and all the medication and operation details through the post today along with the invoice.

Will give it to my Neighbour tomorrow.

I received all the cats details re: wounds, how many, type and all the medication and operation details through the post today along with the invoice.

Will give it to my Neighbour tomorrow.

I'm probably teaching my granny to suck eggs, but don't forget to give 'em a copy - they'll prob. 'lose' the invoice if you give 'em the original. We know now what sort of person they are :rolleyes:

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

hmm, normally its they can give names but not the address

How can the police do that... "its a civil case" yeah true but you need full name to take the civil route...

hehe, you know the first name? cant you try sending them a parcel recorded delivery/signed for? They have to sign and print their name? ;) stick the invoice in there :D - ok someone else may pick it up but worth the try? for £700 ... or is that too obvious, hmm...

I think you can get car reg checks... like if you are buying a car - i know they show previous owners, if they are stolen etc. not sure about current...

Can you PM me further details?

Single occupancy eh? Only one person - so they get a reduction on the council tax, but there's more than one person living there........

The single occupant quite possibly gets benefit for housing as well. Surely if its a single occupant, the occupant owns the dog that lives their.

• Haha 1

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS