• Tweets

• Update: tfl is taking me to court I'm trying to get an ooc claim from them but they have not been replying to my emails. 
    • Are these the important pages I need to upload ? 1.  pages 1-4 are court form 10a 2.  2 pages of the CCA agreement  3.  Default notice from NewDay, 22/02/20 4.   Lowell letter stating they own debt ,     Dated 16/11/20 5. Unheaded letter also dated 16/11/20 from NewDay saying they assigned “all of the respective rights etc,”  to Lowell on 23/10/20 I make this 9 relevant pages from what I can see   ( all other pages are statements/default notes and lots of FCA info sheets) just needing your confirmation in advance as I don’t want to send over pages that are not required thank you  UCM      
    • Just out of curiosity aesmith - are you a lawyer?
    • I spoke to a pro-bono entity this afternoon.  They advise I must initiate a claim in the court v the receiver if I want to then file an application for an order for sale.  I must have a claim/ proceedings to be able to force a sale. The judge in the current proceedings  has told me that I cannot force the lender to sell and the lender cannot interfere either.   If the receiver isn't acting correctly and isn't selling - this means I must make a claim against the receiver I could initiate a claim. Or much quicker  - the other entity - with a charge already - could use that to make an application for an order for sale.
    • Thanks Dave It's not too far away, about 8 or 9 miles, so I will probably venture over on my bike if I can't think of a good reason to drive there again! I'll have a chat with Mrs GB_Joe tomorrow and see which shops they visited, I know M&S was on the list (had to try on multiple sets of trousers!) and they are actually in that bit of retail park. The uniform shop is across the way in the Meridian Centre, so probably not helpful to get them involved.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

AlphaGeeK Vs Amex ***WON***

Alphageek
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5254 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well done. Nice to see Amex get a slap from a CAG member. :D

They'd better get used to it, as I think there will be more to come.

Then a fond farewell to the Rankines rubbish the OC's and DCA's like to quote these days. :p

Edited by saintly_1
advised by pm

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fanbloodytastic!!!

You can claim wasted costs though right?

My thoughts exactly. Well done Alphageek and excellent reporting:D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 months later...

I wrote to Amex on 6th May:

Dear Sirs,

I refer to the above County Court claim.

Your representation at the hearing should by now have reported back to you. You will be aware of the Judge’s comments that I would have a claim for defamation should you fail to remove the negative markers and default from all third-parties to whom you have reported this data.

This is a formal request for you to remove incorrect account status data from third-party data controllers including, but not limited to, Experian, Equifax and Callcredit.

Please set out your position within 21 days.

Received a reply from Brachers, the first page was this, dated 22nd May.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE SAVE AS TO COSTS

Dear Sir

American Express Services Europe Limited and Yourself Card Number: x

We write further to our first letter of even date setting out our client's position in respect of the above account.

In the spirit of compromise and in an attempt to save any further costs being incurred in this matter our client is prepared to accept the sum of £572.15 in full and final settlement of the above account and our client's future claim in respect of the same, on the basis that such payment is received within fourteen days of the date of this letter.

We can confirm that payment can be made by way of cheque or a banker's draft made payable to Brachers and sent to these offices or alternatively you may wish to transfer the funds direct to our bank. We confirm our bank details are as follows:

National Westminster Bank pic

Sort code 60-60-08

Brachers LLP Amex Client Account number 46894578

Please ensure you quote reference xxx when making payment by this method.

We look forward to hearing from you and hope that this matter can be resolved without recourse to the Court.

Should you wish to discuss this matter, please do not hesitate to contact our Miss Grimsey on 01622 690691, extension 2029.

Yours faithfully

BRACHERS LLP

and then in the same envelope, dated the same date 22nd May was the letter they were referring to in the above letter.

Dear Sir

American Express Services Europe Limited and Yourself Card Number xxx

We acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 6th May 2009 addressed to our client direct.

We write to set out our client's position in respect of the balance outstanding under account number x.

In respect of your application form signed by you on 7th May 2001, it is now the case that we hold a true copy of the Terms and Conditions relating to such application form, forming the cardmember agreement, and it would appear that you have not previously been provided with a copy of the same during the course of these proceedings. We enclose a copy of the application form again together with a copy of the Terms and Conditions.

You will note from the application form that our client dated the same by way of a date stamp on 11th May 2001 but in respect of any claim that the Credit Agreement is improperly executed due to the lack of a signature from our client, we should advise you that bearing in mind our client clearly does ultimately have an enforceable agreement in place under the Consumer Credit Act, we will be instructed to re-sue in respect of the outstanding account and shall make the necessary application to the Court for its permission to do so.

In the circumstances our client requires your proposals for repayment in respect of the outstanding balance under the account and we look forward to hearing from you within fourteen days of the date of this letter.

Yours faithfully

BRACHERS LLP

This is the App Form and 2 pages of T&C (click the thumbnails and then you can zoom in on Photobucket a little bit as well)

th_AppFormMay01.jpg

th_TnCs1ForMay01AppForm.jpg

th_TnCs2ForMay01AppForm.jpg

Then I received another 2 letters in the same envelope dated the 24th June.

WITHOUT PREJUDICE SAVE AS TO COSTS

Dear Sir

American Express Services Europe Limited and Yourself Card Number xx

We write further to our previous Without Prejudice Save as to Costs letter of 22nd May 2009 and note that we have not received your response.

The time period with regard to our client's offer has now of course expired but our client is generously prepared to extend the same for a period of 7 days from the date of this letter.

We can confirm that upon receipt of the sum of £572.15 our client will of course mark your account as settled.

We await to hear from you.

Yours faithfully

BRACHERS LLP

Dear Sir

American Express Services Europe Limited and Yourself Card Number xxxx

We write further to our letter of 22nd May 2009 and write to request that you confirm your intentions in this matter to us by return, in order that further issue of Court proceedings can hopefully be avoided.

We await to hear from you.

BRACHERS LLP

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

I'd love to see the Judge's face if this comes before him again.

I think I should write to them, thanking them for their offer (:D) and ask them to reply to my letter of Thursday, 24 April 2008 asking them if my account had been securitized before I can consider my next move.

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

Talk about grasping at straws

You will note from the application form that our client dated the same by way of a date stamp on 11th May 2001 but in respect of any claim that the Credit Agreement is improperly executed due to the lack of a signature from our client, we should advise you that bearing in mind our client clearly does ultimately have an enforceable agreement in place under the Consumer Credit Act, we will be instructed to re-sue in respect of the outstanding account and shall make the necessary application to the Court for its permission to do so.

They have clearly taken leave of their senses.

They must be really, really desperate for money to be stooping this low.

Hello Alphageek!

They really don't like losing, do they?

You'd think it would be something they got used to by now, bearing in mind what a bunch of arrogant losers they are.

Those Terms are a two page multi-fold document by the look of things. A stand alone thing.

Your Judge's Wig would fly off if they presented that as being the best they can come up with after their first attempt to fit a Football Sized set of Terms to the back of a Golf Ball. Yes, of course they would've been on the back originally. We believe you Arsemex.

Plenty to hit back with if they really, really want to have a 2nd crack at this...as you say, Securitisation stands out somewhat, as does their complete inability to draft a compliant Default Notice to date.

Plenty of people on standby to give you all the help you need with this.

Cheers,

BRW

We believe you Arsemex.

:D:D:D:D

It would be quite entertaining to see their new POC, but I think I will give them a prod about THE unanswered question first.

What a bunch of stupid bankers Alphageek, what a wonderful victory - I was particularly interested to hear the Judge's comments on the default removal as I've got my own battle with MBNA going on - your account of the battle was rivetting!

• 5 months later...
Is there any update on this? I thought once you'd won, you'd won for good. Can they really re-sue, issue new proceedings, for the same debt?

Hi there,

The answer is, "no, they can't", not unless they have substantive grounds for so doing. In other words, they must show that they have a new ground on which to proceed, backed up with new evidence." (Sorry, swallowed a legal dictionary this year and it keeps blowing out bubbles!) Attempting to produce a copy of a document listed or disclosed in the original case does not classify as new evidence.

The district judge of the county court will throw out any case that doesn't have merit and a reasonable chance of success. It could end up in another hearing, but a well-written Defence pointing out that there is no new evidence and that the DJ xxxx on such and such a date made an Order for the Defendant, and respectfully requesting that the case be struck out would probably result in this.

(She's back!)

She took her own case to court, if you remember peeps, won against Amex, and because Amex didn't pay my costs, I sent the bailiffs in, and they had to pay my costs and the bailiffs' costs. The only thing I regret is that because I was in a hurry I used the court bailiffs, who don't charge excessively. Anyone doing this should use private bailiffs where the fees mount up, so Amex has to pay more.

I have also sent Virgin/MBNA packing.

I'm now pursuing court cases for people full-time, with barristers, against credit card and loan companies, stopping repossessions, employment tribunals. Having a whale of a time!

Oh, my own fight against Birmingham Midshires? They stopped trying to repossess me and have agreed to capitalise the arrears. Took me six months of fighting. I challenged in court that they had the right to repossess (securitisation) and delayed them by four months. The DJ browbeat them into agreeing a tiny amount of arrears per month (£15 per month) to get me out of her court and stop the repeated hearings, and BM caved, as I said, and offered to capitalise the arrears (without telling their solicitors, which was quite amusing at the hearing).

Bye for now,

Liz Southern

:D

PS Only problem is, I'm now very well known to the judges. They have started pulling faces when I enter the room. (Oh no, not her again. We'll be all day!)

Oops, there goes another rubber tree plant!

She took her own case to court, if you remember peeps, won against Amex, and because Amex didn't pay my costs, I sent the bailiffs in, and they had to pay my costs and the bailiffs' costs.

Is there a thread on your case against Amex? I'm very keen to read anything on how people have won against them.

I'm now pursuing court cases for people full-time, with barristers, against credit card and loan companies, stopping repossessions, employment tribunals. Having a whale of a time!

Just as a matter of interest what's the average legal cost of a Barrister in these cases?

Live Life-Debt Free

Excellent news Liz - we'll see you on Judge Judy next! :)

PS Only problem is, I'm now very well known to the judges. They have started pulling faces when I enter the room. (Oh no, not her again. We'll be all day!)

:D:D

Keep up the good work....FG

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Just as a matter of interest what's the average legal cost of a Barrister in these cases?

Whhhhyyyyyy????? Wot u want 2 no 4???

Kidding!

Depends what the case is, what part of the country you're in, how long the barrister thinks he's (or she) going to be, what level court he'll be appearing in. Could be County Court £500/600 per hour. Might be nothing, as the client might qualify for legal aid - high or low level of legal aid. Two cases might be being heard at the same time, so the barrister might half his fee. I'm not being evasive. It really does depend on circumstances.

Regards

Liz

:)

Is there a thread on your case against Amex? I'm very keen to read anything on how people have won against them.

Hi, there is a thread, the link is below, but if you search for Amex hundreds of threads will come up.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/amex/193706-amex-newmans-statutory-demand.html?highlight=newmans

Happy reading.

Regards

Liz:)