• Tweets

• 1st letter image.pdf1st letter 2nd page.pdf
    • Many thanks for the replies and advice!   I what to send this email to the Starbucks CEO and the area manager. Your thoughts would be appreciated.   [email protected] [email protected]   Re: MET Parking PNC at your Starbucks Southgate site   Dear Ms Rayner, / Dear Heather Christie,   I have received a Notice to Keeper regarding a Parking Charge Notice of £100 for the driver parking in the Southgate Park Car Park, otherwise infamously known as the Stanstead Starbucks/McDonalds car park(s).   Issued by: MET Parking Services Ltd Parking Charge Notice Number: XXXXXXXXX Vehicle Registration Number: XXXX XXX Date of Contravention: XX.XX.XXXX Time: XX:XX - XX:XX   After a little research it apears that the driver is not alone in being caught in what is commonly described as a scam, and has featured in the national press and on the mainstream television.   It is a shame that the reputation of Starbucks is being tarnished by this, with your customers leaving the lowest possible reviews on Trustpilot and Trip Advisor at this location, and to be associated with what on the face of it appears to be a doubious and predatory car park management company.   In this instance, during the early hours of the morning the driver required a coffee and parked up outside Starbucks with the intention of purchasing one from yourselves. Unfortunately, you were closed so the driver walked to McDonalds next door and ordered a coffee, and for this I have received the Notice to Keeper.   It is claimed that the car park is two separate car parks (Starbucks/McDonalds). However, there is no barrier or road markings to identity a boundary, and the signage in the car park(s) and outside your property is ambiguous, as such the terms would most likely be deemed unfair and unenforcable under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.   I understand that Starbucks-Euro Garages neither operate or benefit from the charges imposed by MET Parking. However, MET Parking is your client.   Additionally, I understand that the charge amount of £100 had previously been upheld in court due to a ‘legitimate interest in making sure that a car park was run as efficiently as possible to benefit other drivers as well as the local stores, keeping cars from overstaying’.   However, this is not applicable when the shop or store is closed (as was the case here), as there is no legitimate interest. Therefore, the amount demanded is a penalty and is punitive, again contravening the Consumer Rights Act 2015.   As the driver’s intention of the visit was genuine, I would be grateful if you could please instruct your client to cancel this Notice to Keeper/Parking Charge Notice.   Kind regards
    • I received the promised call back from the Saga man today who informed me that the undertakers have decreed it IS a modification and they will need to recalculate a quote individually for me. However it all sounds very arbitrary. The more I think about it, and with help from forum replies, the more I am sure that it is not a modification. If for example the original seatback had become damaged by a spillage or a tear, I would be entitled to replace it with the nearest available part. The problem is when it comes to a payout after an accident, there is no telling what an individual insurer will decide when he notices the change. I am still undecided which of the two best routes to go with, either don't mention the replacement at all, or fill in the quote form without mentioning, and when it comes to buying the insurance over the phone, mention it at the time.
    • Please post up their letter so we understand what they've asked. You need to cover up your name and address and their reference number. HB
    • Hello,  I received the standard letter.  I don't understand No. 3: If this is in relation to a ticket irregularity, then if you were unable to produce a pass because you did not have it with you or if your pass was withdrawn because you were unable to produce a valid photocard to accompany it, please enclose a photocopy of the pass/photocard with your reply. Question: do i enclose my photocard? my partner's freedom pass was confiscated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

knellyk 2 vs Abbey!

KnellyK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4810 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Did you get an acknowledgement ? On my first claim I didn't get an acknowledgement so sent claim form in, then got defence from Abbey but the judgement was made in my favour! No acknowledgement this time either!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Knellyk, any news yet??? Asking cos im at same stage as u and wanted to know what happens after ive shot down the court, handed in my request for judgement and they still havent submitted defence?

Im gettting sooooooooooo excited and YOU'RE the one to ask (ive been told);)

x bonnie x

I've still had no acknowledgement and, so far no defence either!

Bonnie - you still have to wait!!

If you win by default you'll get a copy of the judgement that the court sends to Abbey! Good Luck!

Today I received Notice that of acknowledgement of service has been filed!

It says that Defendent's name has been corrected to read ABBEY NATIONAL PLC ~ I found that strange because that's what it said on my N1!

I'll wait to see if they defend now!

And today I received a copy of the defence that Abbey has sent to the court, this is the same as theone I received re my first claim, however it was accompanied by two copies of a letter offering 65% of my claim 'subject to your having received any refunds or goodwill payments in respect of the sums claimed'

Here's the letter in full...

"Without Prejudice"

Dear Knellyk

YOURSELF -V- ABBEY NATIONAL PLC CLAIM NO: xxxxxxx

8 June 2007

We enclose by way of service a copy of the Defence that we have filed with the Court.

The next stage in the process will be for the Court to send to each of us an Allocation Questionnaire, which asks for certain information relating to the case before it proceeds to trial. In the interim, we are writing to you to ascertain whether you would be prepared to agree to a settlement of your claim now in order to bring the matter to a close, limiting further expense to both of us and also avoiding the necessity of taking the further procedural steps such as the filing of Allocation Questionnaires.

Regarding the charges, you will see from the Defence that Abbey takes issue with your claim on a number of points. For the purpose of this letter though, we should like to mention in particular that your claim seems to be based on an argument that you should not pay any charges at all. It cannot be correct that Abbey cannot charge anything at all if you become overdrawn or do not meet direct debits as Abbey must remedy the issues with the account and this incurs expense. This is in line with Banking Industry practice and the Terms and Conditions under which you opened the account. Even if it were correct (which is not accepted) that the charges are greater than Abbey's actual loss in dealing with your account, Abbey would still be entitled to charge you something for the expenses. Further, you will see the charges are liquidated damages, and not penalty charges and are therefore valid pre-estimates of loss.

Your claim is for the refund of £xxxx.xx in bank charges and interest. As a matter of goodwill and without any admission of liability on Abbey's part, Abbey will offer to pay you 65% of your claim, that is, £xxxx.xx, subject to your having received any refunds or goodwill payments in respect of the sums claimed. This would be in full and final settlement of your claim.

We hope that you will regard this as a reasonable offer in the circumstances and a genuine attempt to reach an amicable settlement of your claim. If you are prepared to agree to this please sign and return the enclosed copy of this letter.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully it's Signed by ‘Abbey’

And they've added this for me to return!!

I, Knellyk, accept your offer of settlement on the terms and conditions set out in this letter in full and final settlement of the Court Claim number ########. I confirm that upon receipt of payment of the settlement monies I will write to the Court and withdraw my claim.

Date:

Signed:

Well, as the letter's without prejudice they can't use it in court to prove they've tried to settle, so I'll send them a reply telling them I understand I'll have to complete an Allocation Questionnaire and that I'm OK about it, I'll also tell them that I don't think I should pay nothing, I believe the charge is an unfair penalty and it's disproportionate with their actual costs, so if they disclose, and prove, their actual costs I'll be happy to pay that amount otherwise, they can pay me the lot back! (or words to that effect!)

Hey KnellyK! It looks as if claim number '2' is within days of being settled. :) Good luck.

Andy

ANDY VS ABBEY 23rd April 2007 -

'Don't get mad, get even'

'Patience is a virture'

I've just been getting my response letter together and I see that the letter states

'Further, you will see the charges are liquidated damages, and not penalty charges and are therefore valid pre-estimates of loss. '

And I was wondering just exactly where or how I would see this, as the phrase 'liquidated damages' is not mentioned in the defence papers.

So, have I missed something or is this another Abbey confusion tactic?

Yesterday I got a copy of Abbey's defence and 2 pages of the Allocation Questionnaire N149 from the court. I phoned them, told them I only got 2 pages, and there was no part G or page to sign! They said it should be 4 pages so I'm going to use the downloaded one ~ I have til 28th to return it.

I'm also sending a letter to Abbey, thanking them for their offer and telling them I decline it and informing them what I'll accept as settlement (in addition to GOGW already received). I'll give them til 25th June to reply otherwise the AQ will be hand delivered to court on 26th!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm quite confused now!

My N149 AQ is due to be hand delivered at court on Tuesday, I've printed it up and it's waiting ~ BUT, I've been reading loads since then and I think I might not have chosen the right path! And, as I've got time to alter the AQ I'd like to se if I can fathom out what's best to do.

I've gone with the new strategy and attached the draft order for directions. (I understood that bit) I'm confused because I've just read the sticky about Abuse orders and it's all gone a bit foggy!!

(I had a look at your thread as well Bonnie!!)

What I want to work out is....Do I send the AQ with the draft orders, as per the New Strategy, and wait for Abbey to ask for a strike out and then, when I have to do a 2nd AQ use the abuse orders? Or do I use the abuse order now?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Use the abuse order now KnellyK. Send it as an attached document in Section G I think it is on N149. I had N150 to do so mine was section H.

You include the draft order, the abuse of process, list of settled cases to which you can add mine, Charley's and Clarions, the Hackney Judgement, Lincoln & Reading orders and an up to date schedule of charges.

Almost there now. :)

Hi Knellyk, As per advice from MJ, i went for the "Abuse Strike out" strategy like i think you r so on my AQ i included (Section H on N150)......Draft order for directions, List of Abbey Setted claims, 3 examples of Cases being struck out by the judge for abuse, Mullen v Hackney report and a letter advising the judge to Strike out the defence case for abuse of proces. (listen to me eh.. brainwashed)!!

You can find the list of whats required on Then new Allocation Questionnaire strategy or just yell for me!!!;)

Hope i have read yr thread correctly??

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've heard nothing from Abbey and the deadline was yesterday, so today I took my Allocation questionnaire to the court!

I'll just wait around to see what happens next!!

Got a letter from Abbey today, rejecting my offer of settlement and uping their 65% offer by £107.43!!

Sadly, they were 2 days after my deadline and £200 short of what I said I'd settle for!

And I've filed my AQ so there's another £100 costs to add to the claim. I think I'll reply ~ telling them I'll take my chance in court!

Strangely enough they thank me for my letter dated 13th and say they received it on 27th ~ But, my proof of posting states the letter was 'delivered from the north west London office on 15th June'. So it must have taken 12 days to get from the post room to the department it was addressed to!

• 2 weeks later...

Have heard nothing since the AQ was filed on 25th June. SHould I have had a copy of Abbey's AQ (if they sent one)?

I think I'll give the court a call on Monday to find out what's going on!

Kk

I would expect to have heard from the court within 14 days of the AQ,so a phone call can't hurt........at least it's better than a 30 mile drive for you.

Hope that Abbey haven't sent their Aq and you'll have won again................although they do seem to be a lot more orgainsed nowadays and don't seem to be as bad at missing deadlines:mad:

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

Have heard nothing since the AQ was filed on 25th June. SHould I have had a copy of Abbey's AQ (if they sent one)?

I think I'll give the court a call on Monday to find out what's going on!

Hi knellyk, just for your info, i received a copy from Abbey right on the date it was due by and the same with copy of their defence!!

xxxx bonnie xxx

• 2 weeks later...

Today I received a General form of Judgement Order from Cardiff County Court

It says...

Before District Judge xxxxxxx at Cardiff County Court (etc..)

Upon neither party attending

IT IS ORDERED THAT

1 Directions will be given in this case by the designated Civil Judge X on 14th November 2007 at Cardiff...

2 The Parties may appear in person or make written representations as to how the case should proceed provided a copy of the representation is sent to the court and the other side at least 7 working days prior to the hearing.

So, I just phoned the court and said that I'd already provided some draft directions and the Abuse strike out stuff with my AQ. I asked if that was what they meant and she said it was, so I asked if they wanted me to supply this again!! The lady said, No If it's been sent then they'll have it already!

So, I suppose I just sit and twiddle my thumbs til November then?

I think I might have a root round for some other claims!