• Tweets

• Hi. Could you post up what they've sent please so we can see what the charge is? Cover up your name and address and their reference number. HB
    • I've looked through all our old NPE threads, and as far as we know they have never had the bottle to do court. There are no guarantees of course, but when it comes to put or shut up they definitely tend towards shut up. How about something like -   Dear Jonathan and Julie, Re: PCN no.XXXXX cheers for your Letter Before Claim.  I rolled around on the floor in laughter at the idea that you actually expected me to take this tripe seriously and cough up. I'll write to you not some uninterested third party, thanks all the same, because you have are the ones trying to threaten me about this non-existent "debt". Go and look up Jopson v Homeguard Services Ltd, saddos.  Oh, while you're at it, go and look up your Subject Access Request obligations - we all know how you ballsed that up way back in January to March. Dear, dear, dear - you couldn't resist adding your £70 Unicorn Food Tax, you greedy gets.  Judges don't like these made-up charges, do they? You can either drop this foolishness now or get a hell of a hammering in court.  Both are fine with me.  Summer is coming up and I would love a holiday at your expense after claiming an unreasonable costs order under CPR 27.14(2)(g). I look forward to your deafening silence.   That should show them you're not afraid of them and draw their attention to their having legal problems of their own with the SAR.  If they have any sense they'll crawl back under their stone and leave you in peace.  Over the next couple of days invest in a 2nd class stamp (all they are worth) and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office.
    • Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
    • Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Loaned money to family member

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6191 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not a easy thread to post really, my Sister/family were hours from a court appearance, wheres her family home was going to be taken from her, due to non payment of rent £1872.86 , i discussed with my partner, how we could assist her, although i was reluctant to do so, as i have helped her/family many times in the past, however upon this occassion, my partner decided she would help them and informed her and her husband that this time we would only help, in the understanding it was a LOAN and needed to be paid back, both of them agreed, so we drove to there home town from ours at speed, to get to the courts before the hearing, thankfully we got there in time, the court accepted the payment to clear the monies, and she was allowed to stay in the house.

My partner drew up a sort of agreement for them to sign, which there did, now after seeking the money back there have informed my partner that there wont be paying anything back as familys help each other and although this might sound bad, There said to her, take us to court and there will let us pay 50p per week back. ( there words not ours )

It has now been 8 months since my partner has been asking for this money, by letter/phone and e.mail and personnel visit, all to no avail.

I am reluctant to get involved, since i did not loan them the money, my partner did, the info i need, is can my partner now start any proceedings to reclaim this money from them, if so, whats the the proceedure on matters like this. I personnally know there are now in the postion to repay, there are just refusing to do so.

This matter has put another wedge between the family, but since it is my partner that is owed the money, i have decided to stand by her, and informed her that she must do what she must do to get the money back.

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

You could commence small claims proceedings which you would if you have everything in writing probably win but would it get you anywhere?

Do they have a source of income or are they on benefits? If the latter then even if you win they could end up ordered to pay 50p per week.

You cant get money from people if they genuinely have not got it however if they have jobs then if you win they could be told to pay back a decent amount each week/month

If you did get a forthwith CCJ against them ( ie asking for the whole amount ) or an instalment amount that they could not or would not pay then once they default on a CCJ you can apply to the court for further enforcement.

For example, if they are employed you could apply for an attachment of earnings order to deduct money from their wages, or you could apply for bailiffs to be used.

I am of course not suggesting you do any of these simply stating the facts. You could even apply for something called an order for information which would force them to go to court to answer questions about their finances.

It really depends how you / your OH personally feel and how far you would want to take it. I have to say that IMO they are taking the p*** but that's just my take on it! :)

So it's tough-luck on your partner, because he used HIS money to bail out your sister? I would have thought that would have driven a wedge between you both, especially if - again - you support your sister's actions.

The document that was signed may not be worth much, as in any court action although of the best intentions, could be argued you were acting as unlicensed money lenders - so any action for recovery had better be reviewed carefully.

As the loan remains outstanding, and I'm sure there was no security taken for it, it is important to establish some form of regular repayment to cover capital and interest, so that it can be established the debt it admitted and payments are being made. If the money isn't repaid, then if the house was almost taken last time, it could be again, so it might be worthwhile to look at what assets they have and try and protect your partner from becoming a victim.

The document that was signed may not be worth much, as in any court action although of the best intentions, could be argued you were acting as unlicensed money lenders - so any action for recovery had better be reviewed carefully.

We do loans, and are familiar with lending legislation.

A loan between individuals does not come under the Consumer Credit Act thus a Consumer Credit Licence is not required. If the lender was offering this as a service (and therefore a business) a licence would most definitely be required.

If the law was otherwise, thousands of deals between relations and/or friends would be unlawful.

Your sister is not worthy of such as yourself and OH. Go for a CCJ, as I doubt your relationship will not suffer any more than the lack of respect to you already shown by the borrower.

On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Read anything I write with the above in mind.

You may have problems with a case I vaguely remember from when I studied law. I can't remember which one but it ruled that a contract between family members may not have an intention to create legal relations and so the contract is unenforceable. You will need to be aware of it so that you don't fall foul of it. If you search for contract law in google I think you may have some success. It was part of the basic blocks of creating a contract. You need an offer, acceptance, consideration (that's the money) and an intention to create a legal relationship.

My search on google has traced this site. If it doesn't help try searching again for 'contract law' there seemed to be a lot of hits when I tried

LawTeacher.net | Contract Law Study Guide and Resources

I don't think that there will be much of a problem rebutting the presumption against contractual intention between family members. It is an outdated idea and in any event you are talking about a decent sum of money and which has been witnessed in a written document.

Just sue in the small claims court and you will get your judgment.

Enforcing the judgment might be more difficult and it will help if you have a good knowledge of their financial circumstances.

I would suggest that after you get your judgment you then get a charging order on their property.

This doesn't mean that you would go ahead and force a sale but it would insure you in the future.

By the way it would have been wholly unlikely that the judge would have ordered the sale of a family home for only £1800 odd.

I think that there was some over-reaction.

Thanks for clarifying that Bankfodder, it was just a thought from the depths of my memory and I didn't want the OP to get too far down the line without finding out.

Anyway, I hesitate to correct you but the OP said the original court hearing was for non-payment of rent so a charging order may not be an option. I suspect that the sister is well clued up when she says that they will offer say 50p and the court will agree to an order for that.

As ever I bow to your superior wisdom on this however

families, what can you say ?

your OH of their own free will and generosity get your sister out of this mess and thats the way they are treated.

its a sticky mess, families, dont want to step on peoples toes in case everyone falls out etc, but hey, you guys were helping them, and now they can afford it, they should be making the first stop on payday to your house with a massive thank you !

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Thank you for all your views on this unsavaioury matter, yes indeed it is a sorry issue, helping family at there time of need and been told we are not getting our money back, after disscussing this matter further with my partner, we have taken the step to just take this as a lesson, and have come to the conclusion we won't be seeing that money back, whilst it is somewhat up-setting, we have decided to just distance ourselves from them, so that we don't fall into lending them money again, i have now paid my other half the money myself, as why should she be out of pocket, after all she works as i do and earns her own money, so felt only right she got the money back, so in a way it is me that my sister owes the money to, and i know her repaying is a no go area.

If i thought taking her to court etc would get the money back, i would, but knowing her for her ways, it would only harm the children she as got, and i wouldnt want that on my mind, we have peace of mind that we kept the home for them for now, but guess it won't be long before there get into the same postion again, only next time, there won't have us to bail them out. Again thanks for the info and we will think twice before helping people out in the future.

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

i can well undrstand your views on not wanting to help people out in the future, but remember not everyones the same and some people would be genuinely indebted to you and your partner for the rest of their lives for what you did.

i would take the step of letting the rest of your family know about these events too, just in case they ever get ino this trouble again and some other poor unsuspecting family member gets stitched up.

put this one down to experience and move on.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

put this one down to experience and move on.

I agree; I think you have taken a really pragmatic view of this and hopefully you won't be caught out again - but it was a great thing that you did :)