• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

WE WON! nearly £5000 and no court

jaric
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6165 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Jaric V Lloyds TSB £4500

Hi everyone

Ive been using the site for quite a while now and my claim against Lloyds is hopefully almost at an end

Timetable for ref

Aug 06 £280 .charges applied to my account

Sept 06 rang bank to complain and told ‘tough’

Researched bank charges sites including no win no fee lawyers

Nov 06 opened parachute account

Nov 06 sent subject access request with £10 cheque recorded to local branch

Dec 06 4 weeks later received charges lists from copy statement unit

Dec 06 wrote in asking for charges to be repaid with 8%interest £4500 in total

Dec 06 7 days later received sod off letter

Dec 06 sent 7 day demand letter to customer service recovery Hampshire

Jan 07 10 days later received a goodwill payment into account of £750

Jan 07 next day received final response letter from Lloyds

Jan 07 filed with MCOL after some jiggery-pokery with lines and word numbers

Jan 07 acknowledgement of service received from Northampton court

Feb 07 defence filed by SC&M, claim to be transferred to local court, AQ filled out and delivered with £100 cheque

March 07 Today having still not heard anything since AQ submitted I contacted the court and was told that the judge has ordered a stay for 1 month without asking me or taking notice of my AQ.

Thanks Barty

I want to get this over with before the OFT ruling complicates matters do you think it’s wise to send the letter below, or do I risk antagonizing the judge

jaric

i think there is a template around for you to use in this context and no i dont think it will antagonise the judge.

You should also inform them that you have given them ample time to enter into sincere negoations by way of 22 days notice of your intention to claim against them.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

In the 88888888888County Court

Claim number 88888888888

Between

8888888 - Claimant

And

Lloyds TSB Bank PLC - Defendant

Dear Sir,

APPLICATION FOR STAY REMOVAL

I have received a standard order for stay for settlement with the consent of all the parties. I am applying for this stay to be lifted as I have given Lloyds TSB Ltd ample time and opportunity to resolve this matter with correspondence dating back to November 06.

I do not believe that the stay ordered to this case will be of any actual benefit to anyone apart from the defendant. Therefore, I believe that the stay ordered to this case should be removed on the following grounds.

1) I believe that the defendant’s litigation strategy is abusive of the courts resources, and that the stay ordered to this case will only serve to benefit the defendant.

Since first requesting a refund of penalty charges from Lloyds TSB, my communications with the bank have been met with outright refusals to discuss the matter on any meaningful level, and they have always insisted their charges are fair and lawful. As such, I felt I had no choice but to proceed with legal action to recover the charges which I firmly believe were taken contrary to UK law.

Since initiating the claim in January this year, every single stage of the process has been delayed by brinksmanship from the other side. I am aware of over 25 cases involving the defendant where this pattern has been followed almost identically. It is my opinion therefore, and I think it a perfectly reasonable inference to draw, that this is a pre-meditated strategy designed to wear out and intimidate the claimants, whom they know will more than likely be acting in person and not accustomed to the court process.

This supposition is further re-enforced by the fact that Lloyds have gone on to settle every single one of the claims so far after a court date has been allocated. I firmly believe that the defendant has no intention of going to a hearing in this or any other case, and further, that they are merely using the justice system as a publicly funded means of intimidating their customers and dissuading them from pursuing a legitimate right.

It is submitted that this is abusive of the justice system and of the public resource.

I believe that a stay in this case supports this strategy.

2) Also, please bear in mind the fact that I am a litigant in person and the defendant is a multi-national company with an annual turnover of billions.

The sum claimed is insignificant to the bank, but it is highly significant to me.

This stay prevents me recovering my money, which I contend was taken unlawfully, but the defendant bank remains at liberty to continue levying its charges, plus interest on debt comprised of those charges. I believe that the order of the court has the effect of favouring a powerful and well resourced institution and does not place any restriction on their continued application of penalties which I say are unlawful.

3) Additionally, I would like to add that I believe that this case contains no complicated issues of law, only issues of fact. The common law relating to contractual penalties is settled law since the late 1800’s and has been re-enforced as recently as the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

The main crux upon which this case, and others like it, rests upon is wither or not the banks penalty charges are a true representation of the loss incurred as a result of the breach on the part of the claimant. As such, I firmly believe that this litigation could be expediently concluded if only the banks would be open and transparent with regard to the true costs and mechanisms of their charging systems. As I rely upon the bank as my fiduciary it is clear they have a duty to act in utmost good faith and in a straightforward manner in relation to their conduct of their contract with me.

In the event that the court accedes to my request and sets aside this stay, I respectfully request that the case be allocated to the small claims track and that the defendant be ordered to make standard disclosure. I would suggest that this would assist greatly in bringing this case and others similar to a swift and just conclusion.

final draft

In the 88888888888County Court

Claim number 88888888888

Between

8888888 - Claimant

And

Lloyds TSB Bank PLC - Defendant

Dear Sir,

APPLICATION FOR STAY REMOVAL

I have received a standard order for stay for settlement with the consent of all the parties. I am applying for this stay to be lifted as I have given Lloyds TSB Ltd ample time and opportunity to resolve this matter with correspondence dating back to November 06.

I do not believe that the stay ordered to this case will be of any actual benefit to anyone apart from the defendant. Therefore, I believe that the stay ordered to this case should be removed on the following grounds.

1) I believe that the defendant’s litigation strategy is abusive of the courts resources, and that the stay ordered to this case will only serve to benefit the defendant.

Since first requesting a refund of penalty charges from Lloyds TSB, my communications with the bank have been met with outright refusals to discuss the matter on any meaningful level, and they have always insisted their charges are fair and lawful. As such, I felt I had no choice but to proceed with legal action to recover the charges which I firmly believe were taken contrary to UK law.

Since initiating the claim in January this year, every single stage of the process has been delayed by brinksmanship from the other side. I am aware of over 25 cases involving the defendant where this pattern has been followed almost identically. It is my opinion therefore, and I think it a perfectly reasonable inference to draw, that this is a pre-meditated strategy designed to wear out and intimidate the claimants, whom they know will more than likely be acting in person and not accustomed to the court process.

This supposition is further re-enforced by the fact that Lloyds have gone on to settle every single one of the claims so far after a court date has been allocated. I firmly believe that the defendant has no intention of going to a hearing in this or any other case, and further, that they are merely using the justice system as a publicly funded means of intimidating their customers and dissuading them from pursuing a legitimate right.

It is submitted that this is abusive of the justice system and of the public resource.

I believe that a stay in this case supports this strategy.

2) Also, please bear in mind the fact that I am a litigant in person and the defendant is a multi-national company with an annual turnover of billions.

The sum claimed is insignificant to the bank, but it is highly significant to me.

This stay prevents me recovering my money, which I contend was taken unlawfully, but the defendant bank remains at liberty to continue levying its charges, plus interest on debt comprised of those charges. I believe that the order of the court has the effect of favouring a powerful and well resourced institution and does not place any restriction on their continued application of penalties which I say are unlawful.

3) Additionally, I would like to add that I believe that this case contains no complicated issues of law, only issues of fact. The common law relating to contractual penalties is settled law since the late 1800’s and has been re-enforced as recently as the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

The main crux upon which this case, and others like it, rests upon is wither or not the banks penalty charges are a true representation of the loss incurred as a result of the breach on the part of the claimant. As such, I firmly believe that this litigation could be expediently concluded if only the banks would be open and transparent with regard to the true costs and mechanisms of their charging systems. As I rely upon the bank as my fiduciary it is clear they have a duty to act in utmost good faith and in a straightforward manner in relation to their conduct of their contract with me.

In the event that the court accedes to my request and sets aside this stay, I respectfully request that the case be allocated to the small claims track and that the defendant be ordered to make standard disclosure. I would suggest that this would assist greatly in bringing this case and others similar to a swift and just conclusion.

Yours faithfully

The letter looks fine to me but may i suggest you do a spell check.

One other thing is that you have mentioned 25 other cases, are you going to prpvide a list? I would give a list of claim numbers if you have them.

HTH and good luck

glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thanks

letter delivered by hand today

they tried to charge me £65.00 to put it before a judge but after an argument this was waived. also the standard order for stay for settlement with the consent of all the parties apparently doesn't need the consent of all the parties for the judge to order a stay :confused: :confused: .

letter from court

my application for the stay to be lifted has been sucessful the case has now been listed for court:) thanks to GARYH for his template letter.

Good oh well done

glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Good work - well done. I can't take credit for the letter though, BF wrote the stay removal stuff, I just tinkered with it and shortened it a bit.

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Depends on how busy your court is - my local one is now listing for August!

• Haha 1

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

I received a date of May at the end of January. The courts are a tad busy at present ;)

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

• 1 month later...

I have been compiling the final court papers and have found a couple of charges that we are claiming for from before myself and my wife had a joint account, the account number stayed the same when I was added but the charges are for prior to that date so the charges were applied to my wife.

I filled out the money claim on line form just in my name ! Im sure there wasn't room for joint names but I may be wrong

should I apply for an amendment to the claim?:?:

:) Thanks for the support:)

Timetable for ref

Aug 06 £280 .charges applied to my account

Sept 06 rang bank to complain and told ‘tough’

Researched bank charges sites including no win no fee lawyers

Nov 06 opened parachute account

Nov 06 sent subject access request with £10 cheque recorded to local branch

Dec 06 4 weeks later received charges lists from copy statement unit

Dec 06 wrote in asking for charges to be repaid with 8%interest £4500 in total

Dec 06 7 days later received sod off letter

Dec 06 sent 7 day demand letter to customer service recovery Hampshire

Jan 07 10 days later received a goodwill payment into account of £750

Jan 07 next day received final response letter from Lloyds

Jan 07 filed with MCOL after some jiggery-pokery with lines and word numbers

Jan 07 acknowledgement of service received from Northampton court

Feb 07 defence filed by SC&M, claim to be transferred to local court, AQ filled out and delivered with £100 cheque

March 07 Today having still not heard anything since AQ submitted I contacted the court and was told that the judge has ordered a stay for 1 month without asking me or taking notice of my AQ

March 07 applied for stay removal 4 days later stay removed and got a listing for June

Today :)WE WON!:) letter from SC&M Lloyds will pay up in full including interest and costs and no conditions.

CONGRATULATIONS

:D :D :D

If I have been helpful, PLEASE click the scales

You may receive differing advice as people have had different experiences. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I offer is done so informally, without prejudice & without liability.

I WON !!!!

HERE WE GO AGAIN .... BRING IT ON

:D

Cheers :D

Donation will be on its way when Lloyds deposit the money.

do you think its worth claiming for expenses as i didnt have to submit the court pack even though it was prepared. I'm thinking of about 12 hours at I think about £9 per hour

Cheers :D

Donation will be on its way when Lloyds deposit the money.

do you think its worth claiming for expenses as i didnt have to submit the court pack even though it was prepared. I'm thinking of about 12 hours at I think about £9 per hour

Why not .... you have nothing to loose and it wont cost you anything

XxXxX

;)

If I have been helpful, PLEASE click the scales

You may receive differing advice as people have had different experiences. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I offer is done so informally, without prejudice & without liability.

I WON !!!!

HERE WE GO AGAIN .... BRING IT ON

:D