argos claim

fkelanne

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5241 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hiya all, i sent the letter to get my charges back 2 weeks ago from argos for £145. Today i got a letter from them saying

"As stated in your letter, the OFT issued a statement following its review of eight credid card provider. The OFTs statement sets out its view of the principle credit card issuers not store cards issuers should follow in stting default charges. As a store card provider we have not been involved in the discussions between the credit card companies and the OFT.

In managing your account, you have failed to make payments, or the correct payment as they fell due on a number of occasions resulting to £145 in charges. As part of having an argos card, you are responsible for making the required payments on time and we have the right to recover from you the cost incurred by us dealing with you default if youfail to make a payment whenit falls due. Had we charged the £12 fee referred to in the OFTs report on credit cards the difference in your fees would be £41 in total.

We value our reationship with our customers and always endeavour to resolve queries and complaints as positively as possible. Having reviewed yuor account, for the reasons stated abvove, we are unable to offer you a refund of fees however as a goodwill gesture we are prepared to offer you £70 to be credited to you account(i owe £100) our offer is made without admission of liability and full settlement of all claims you may have against us in relation to the default fees on your account.

What should i do? i need it paying off as soon as pos as im on buying a house and dont what any debts when i move.

The OFT stuff is irrelevant since the OFT didn't give ayone the right to break the law. The certainly didn't give anyone the right to charge £12 - that was an absolute maximum that could be justified only in exceptional circumstances. generally they expected charges to be significantly less. The law is clear: these charges are unlawful.

Accept their offer as a partial settlement only and send them an LBA for the total amount.

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

Steven

Using CAG Toolbar will generate much needed income - Download Here

Confused by Simple Interest? Confounded by Compound Interest? Read my Interest Tutorial

My Wins

GE Money Won unconditionally May 2007

NatWest Won unconditionally August 2007

Brighthouse Won unconditionally August 2007

Goldfish Won unconditionally April 2008 (including CI on the basis of Sempra)

Clydesdale Financial Services (now BPF) Won unconditionally February 2008

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. Do not take any legal action on my advice alone. Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site.

Please note, I will not give advice by PM. Please send a link to your thread and I will do my best to answer there.

Up until recently I worked in Home Retail Group and when I found out about CAG I asked one of the financial services team whether we were getting requests for money back. I was told that yes we were but we were making people jump through hoops to get their refunds first. so just follow the given procedures from the rest of the site and you will get your money back.

• Haha 1

Hi there - do you have an email address for Argos card people? I've sent them letters but they won't reply to me... wanted to give them a little nudge in writing to see if that works...

Thanks in hope

GG

Capital One: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 14 Nov 06, Prelim 8 Dec 06, LBA 10 Jan 07, MCOL 1 Mar 07. Settled in full 2 Apr 07. :)

HSBC: Prelim 27 Feb 07, LBA 10 Apr 2007, Received offer 25 Apr 07. Rejected 2nd May 07. Received new offer 22 May 2007. Accepted 22 May 2007. Settled.

Barclaycard: SAR 2nd May 2007.

Hi there - do you have an email address for Argos card people? I've sent them letters but they won't reply to me... wanted to give them a little nudge in writing to see if that works...

Thanks in hope

GG

Which letters have you sent?

If they haven't replied to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) - sent them the Data Protection Act non-compliance letter. If they don't reply to that - take them to court under the DPA.

If they haven't replied to Prelim letter, send LBA and then sue them in the County Court.

You set the timescale - sooner or later they will have to respond even if its when a court summons apears on the mat.

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

Steven

Confused by Simple Interest? Confounded by Compound Interest? Read my Interest Tutorial

My Wins

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. Do not take any legal action on my advice alone. Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site.

Please note, I will not give advice by PM. Please send a link to your thread and I will do my best to answer there.

sent the lba on tuesday, got a reply 2day offering me £92.05 to clear my account, what do i do now? should i accept?

What you originally requested was £145 but you owed them £100 so you were effectively asking for your debt to be wiped off and £45.

So, if they are offering your debt of £100 is written off and you get £92.05 - then that's more than you asked for and I think you should accept.

If they mean they will give you £92.05 against your debt of £100 then that's a long way short of what you requested and I think you should carry on for the rest.

This is my opinion but it's up to you.

Steven

Steven

My Wins