• Tweets

• If the legendary dx could offer his wisdom it would be greatly appreciated 
    • Hi there Manager for our soccer sixes team moved overseas mid season and we struggled for numbers so we told the ref about 5 weeks prior to seasons end that we would see out these games then be done and he told us he’d ’pass the message on to the relevant people’. Heard nothing, then 3 days prior to the new season beginning we were given our fixture for that weekend. Told the guy over text we had pulled out and the ref should’ve passed a message on but we were told sufficient notice wasn’t given and it needed to be in writing. I argued it’s not our fault the ref didn’t do as he said but we were countered by the T&Cs.    now being chased for what was £608 kindly reduced to £476 to pay off remainder of the season. Been sent a letter in the post from their accountancy team and told needs to be paid by Friday.   seen a lot of the other threads saying we can literally just ignore everything but im concerned about debt collections and credit score being harmed. Can anyone confirm if this all works/what we should do?   thanks
    • Hi,   I have given an official police witness statement for the prosecution in an upcoming criminal court case, and I am very anxious about what might happen.  Specifically regarding being cross-examined.  My statement is very short, and only a couple of paragraphs long, regarding a conversation I had with one of the victims.  I have tried to research online about what information about me the defence barrister might be able to find and use to discredit me.  I have by no means have a shady past but, I am concerned about what private information might be brought up, and as this is a case that will be in the national press as it is in the public interest.  The two preliminary hearings were reported in the papers.   I have tried to research  online what information the opposition can seek, but it is all very complicated.  I believe that they can legally access public records, but I'm not sure what information public records hold.  Can they access my medical records, educational history, HMRC, and Department for Work and Pensions? (I am a self employed sole trader).  I was arrested once, and this was unfortunately instigated by the victim in this case, so could well be of interest to them.  It resulted in no further action, however I have only discovered this week that that, in fact, this means I have a criminal record, and will be so until I am 100 (no chance)! This has really annoyed me to say the least, especially since I asked him afterwards why he rang the police and he said 'for a laugh'.  So I have started to look into applying for it to be deleted, but again, if anyone has any advice on this I would be appreciative. At the moment, my name isn't on the confirmed list to give evidence, but the detective I have been dealing with has said it is 'likely'. The names of the victims in this case will not be allowed to be reported, are witnesses fair game for the press? I really need no know how deep they can delve in to my life so I am prepared if my character gets assassinated in front of the nation. I really wish I'd never agreed to this.   Many thanks
    • A belated thanks dx. Yes I may take your advice regarding StepChange. I am finding that I am telling them (on behalf of my Son) the true balances outstanding? They never seem to check properly in which worries me. If I was to take on myself is there another way of dealing with various debts? I have already submitted other IRL complaints on his behalf. Today I have received a further response from Quidie T/A Fernovo confirming that they will waiver all interest paid.
    • Good evening  Case hearing this Friday 26/04. looking to have all my prep/papers ready.    just checking in to get update on my last post , ( the t&c’s attached). No name or address on them as per #49   thank you UCM  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Tonight

Janeyh
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6456 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There was one point in the interview when he paused and looked incredibly uncomfortable. It was when he realised that a) he was being held to account and b) he was completely unable to control or dictate the interview.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only caught half of it, when my friend (who isn't on this site, but is chasing Natwest) got a phone call from someone telling him about the show. We immediately paused Halo and watched. Looks like there's no stopping this change now.

I noticed that, once again, we're having the threat of "no more free banking" waved over our heads, whilst being told we're really lucky to have it, along with "good rates of interest" (cue my buddy making a faint choking noise in utter disgust). Exactly which countries charge you for banking? I desperately want to know, since every time the free banking thing is mentioned, they never say, "hah, well in Suchandsuch they have to PAY to have a bank account."

I'm beginning to think the whole thing's just a scare story the banks have cooked up to try and get those people who haven't incurred charges on their side.

Anyhow, congrats to Dave, BW, and Lisa. To quote a Mr Flav: "Fight the power."

DPA Letter received by NatWest 11/04/2006

DPA Request expires 21/05/2006

Statements received 15/05/2006

LBA sent 15/05/2006

If you find me vaguely coherent, click the scales.

I noticed that, once again, we're having the threat of "no more free banking" waved over our heads, whilst being told we're really lucky to have it, along with "good rates of interest" (cue my buddy making a faint choking noise in utter disgust). Exactly which countries charge you for banking? I desperately want to know, since every time the free banking thing is mentioned, they never say, "hah, well in Suchandsuch they have to PAY to have a bank account."

My parents in Italy are charged 1 euro for a standing order, 1 euro for a cheque to clear, 1 euro for a statement (plus 67 cents for postage of the statement). The figures may not be quite accurate.

I don't think it would happen here, but we are very lucky to have free banking.

[

My son also saw it.... he has been holding back to see how my claim works out, but having seen the program he now wants me to sort a claim out for him. :D :D

Dito for my wife...dpa sent today :D

I think this may be a turning point now - The amount of claims likely to flood the banks means they will have to decide whether to just pay all of them or start defending all of them. Either way it shoudl be interesting to see what happens.

A small note, especially for the mods and other people who help newbies - I noticed Martin didn't mention when he said about the four steps that the request for a list of charges from your bank should be done as a DPA request.

I sent him a message in the hope he might be able to put something on his forum just to make people aware, as if people don't state this they will end up paying the standarc %5/statement charge. It's worth bearing in mind - I can imagine hundereds of people this morning hastily knocking out letters to their banks and not mentioning the DPA.

I know it's in the FAQs but you know what some people are like about reading them!

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

I must say I was really looking forward to this and it did not disappoint.

A few points:

A. I was genuinely touched by Dave when he mentioned that he didn't have money to buy his daughters shoes. It is horrible when as a Father you feel you are unable to provide for those that depend on you. Dave is an absolute legend for sorting this site out and getting the ball rolling.

B. Big respect to Bookworm for not accepting the money with conditions. Secondly, I would not like to cross her if I had upset her !

C. I am so glad that Lisa stuck in there and got her money in the end. Also, you are absolutely stunning ! x (sorry, just had to tell you)

D. That geezer from the Bank of England who sounded like Sean Connery. What a Plum ! It was obvious he was lying through his front teeth, he has to stick up for the banks that line his pockets some handsomely.

On another note, as the Mods are going to find this hard to help everybody, why not appoint individuals with a greater knowledge than most for each bank/institution as a sort of forum buddy to point people in the right direction ? This will ease the burden somewhat for the mods to keep repeating themselves. Inevitably, some people will come on here and not want to put the effort in and as soon as they have their money they will never come back ! Just an idea !

There was one point in the interview when he paused and looked incredibly uncomfortable. It was when he realised that a) he was being held to account and b) he was completely unable to control or dictate the interview.

I noticed that too. He really isn't the best spokesman they could have chosen is he? Poor sod, I almost feel sorry for him. He probably doesn't agree with the charges either, but has to say what the banks want him to say.

According to that woman (who's name I forget), we have excellent banking in this country!!??

Well, I suppose she's quite right. I love not having access to my own money; I love having to wait 11 days (yes, I had a cheque from the IR take 11 days to 'clear'). I also love having to pay to use cashpoints most of the time.

I particulary like being restricted to the amount of my own money I can have access to without prior arrangement....and then have them forget about the prior arrangement when I go in to collect the money, meaning that I have to buy a bankers draft.

I also love the fact that I can't get to the bank ever because they open within the same time that I'm working - i.e. open at 10am and shut at 4pm. I like that one a lot.

I especially like the considerate way in which at lunchtime there's usually only one poor girl behind the counter trying to 'help' people at quite probably their busiest time.

Anyway, sorry - rant over.

PS. Who said I was young? Thank's very much - I don't get called 'young' very often these days!! ;-)

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

C. I am so glad that Lisa stuck in there and got her money in the end. Also, you are absolutely stunning ! x (sorry, just had to tell you)

Seconded - On both points :)

D. That geezer from the Bank of England who sounded like Sean Connery. What a Plum ! It was obvious he was lying through his front teeth, he has to stick up for the banks that line his pockets some handsomely.

Oh yes - he looked so uncomfortable.

On another note, as the Mods are going to find this hard to help everybody, why not appoint individuals with a greater knowledge than most for each bank/institution as a sort of forum buddy to point people in the right direction ? This will ease the burden somewhat for the mods to keep repeating themselves. Inevitably, some people will come on here and not want to put the effort in and as soon as they have their money they will never come back ! Just an idea !

This is a great idea - I was on the forum when the programme was on and watched it fail miserably to handle what must have been a huge amount of hits. That's good because of the amount of interest - people must have been sitting at their computers waiting for a website name to be given out!

I think at the time about how busy the mods are going to be for the next few days in addition to all the hard work they already do.

LBA sent 1/12/2006

Prelim sent 3/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

A small note, especially for the mods and other people who help newbies - I noticed Martin didn't mention when he said about the four steps that the request for a list of charges from your bank should be done as a DPA request.

True, but the banks know that there's no way they can win with the "manual intervention" argument, so although it's advantageous to have this to aid your defence, you may be ok without it.

You've just reminded me of the one tiny criticism I did have of the show - when Martin was stating what the steps are, he said after you've sent the prelim and LBA you then need to decide if you want to take the case to court. You should be prepared to go to court from the beginning in my opinion, and the more people who drop out between the LBA and court stages the harder it makes it for us because the banks will keep stalling hoping people will give up.

Other than that though it was an excellent show!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

True, but the banks know that there's no way they can win with the "manual intervention" argument, so although it's advantageous to have this to aid your defence, you may be ok without it.

Sorry - I didn't make my point clear. I wasn't talking about the manual intervention bit - I was thinking about the odd person who posts on here after being charged £600 for re-printed statements because they didn't mention the DPA properly in their request!

Dave - The woman was the financial editor for the Times. I thought it was quite good that she seemed to be on our side, although I bet their articles would never go as far as actually saying the charges are unlawful.

LBA sent 1/12/2006

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Sorry - I didn't make my point clear. I wasn't talking about the manual intervention bit - I was thinking about the odd person who posts on here after being charged £600 for re-printed statements because they didn't mention the DPA properly in their request!

Dave - The woman was the financial editor for the Times. I thought it was quite good that she seemed to be on our side, although I bet their articles would never go as far as actually saying the charges are unlawful.

Probably not...........because how many Times readers are bank shareholders ???????

On a different note very slow here today anyone else noticed ?

Took me ages getting logged on............almost as long as getting a reply for my dpa request !!!

Good morning Chrismc........

:)

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

I made a crucial decision last night - to miss Enders for a change :-(.Hubby has been aware that I was following this cause but has never really been 'boverred' (Sorry). Last night, for a change, he was shouting at the tv (normally me to football players & refs), in agreement & he wasn't very complimentary about the BBA chappy.So now he's well & truely convinced that this is a WONDERFUL cause. Well done to Dave, Bookworm & Lisa.

Guest Alison82

WOW amazing show! if only it was longer. It was great to put a face to the names hi dave and bookworm and lisa! :)

I have now convinced my mum to get her charges back which I will be doing for her.

The banks should be squirming now! what we want is true, realistic, amounts for charges such as £2 max!

Well, I suppose she's quite right. I love not having access to my own money; I love having to wait 11 days (yes, I had a cheque from the IR take 11 days to 'clear'). I also love having to pay to use cashpoints most of the time.

Is this the one you mentioned ages ago, where you called up to complain, and the woman told you that they "had to ensure you were owed the money" or some such nonsense? I'm waiting for £110 from the Revenoo myself at the moment. As soon as it arrives, it's moneyclaim time.

LBA sent 15/05/2006

Is Lisa Dudek, who was also featured one of our members I wonder.:D

Hi, yes I am

Lisa

HSBC - Default Judgement - £4892

HSBC, PA 29/3/06 LBA 12/04/06

HSBC, Court Claim Filed - 26/04/06

Lloyds - Claim - £625

Lloyds PA sent 16/05/06

I txt'd all the people in my phone book who I knew would benefit form the show - and some naysayers too! :p

I was sooo excited about the show, and when I saw Consumer Action Group in the opening titles I was beside myself! LOL

Couldn't get on to the site last night - but this time I wasn't disappointed. If it meant a newbie could access the site to gain knowledged to claim back their charges then so be it.

I loved Martin's enthusiasm, and I thought that the show on a whole was very good. I too thought Dave looked a lot younger than I expected (cute kiddies too!), and found myself checking behind him for water damage to the walls (sorry Dave! 9.gif).

I didn't realise that was Bookworm. Hi Bookworm!! 103.gif, and like most of you, I too thought Lisa was a bit of a "stunnah!!" Nice House too!

I'm happy to help out with the newbies and I think that Surreyscouses' idea of having "helpers" for each forum is an excellent idea. I'm more than happy to volunteer!

And last but not least - I'm not even going to mention that bloke with the hairspray and perma-tan bleating out feeble excuses and trying to justify their "organised crimes" 37.gif

Dave, BF, Steven and all you Mods - A big Thank You for EVERYTHING!! 41.gif

Hi, yes I am

Lisa

Hi Lisa - You did a great job telling your story. I think you're missing out - you should be a TV presenter!;)

LBA sent 1/12/2006

Prelim sent 3/2/07

***Blush*** - thanks

I thought that the program was put together really well - Well impressed!

Well done to Dave and Bookworm too don't know if you were as nervous as me!

HSBC - Default Judgement - £4892

HSBC, PA 29/3/06 LBA 12/04/06

HSBC, Court Claim Filed - 26/04/06

Lloyds - Claim - £625

Lloyds PA sent 16/05/06

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!

Excellent show, I almost missed it :oops: but my mum rang me and told me so only missed a bit!.

well done to Dave Bookworm and Lisa,

The only bit I didnt like which i think someone has mentioned before was Martyn Lewis 4 steps, about the court bit, if I didnt know much about it that would of scared me!. But ive been reading this website with interest, so nope not scared anymore, but other than that a great show.

I will gladly help all newbies and the idea of having helpers on each bank

I put my name forward. This website seems to be slow this morning it takes about 3 minutes to turn a page lol, wonder why?????

Halifax preliminary letter sent 17/05/06 charges £2661.00

Bog Standard blah blah blah letter received 22nd May 2006.

received lengthy letter dated 24th May 2006 offering £605 pah!

letter before action sent registered 5th June 2006

letter received in response to lba offering £1801.00 errrrr no ta

court action filed 23rd June 2006

deemed served to bank on25th June 2006

notice of acknowledgement of service has been filed

they intend to defend

7th july received letter PAYING IN FULL!!!

10th July cash deposit £112.58

10th July cash deposit £2869.00

:D :D :D :D

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

Great programme guys and well done to everyone who was involved, nice to see the other side squirming for a change he he :)

Chrismc v Vertex Data Science Ltd

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Won - Settlement Agreed at 11th Hour.

Philips Bailiffs

Lost - Judge changed at last minute, it didn't help!

G-MAC Early Redemption Charges Waived

Won - Early Redemtion Fees Waived in Full.

I thought the whole program went about as well as it possibly could for us. Martin was very good, the guy from the BBA was a delight to watch - no way would any normal person have believed a word he was saying. When he tried to say that the banks have various costs, and it does cost them all this money to administer a charge I was literally swearing at the screen. What a bare faced liar!

I loved it when Bookworm was telling us about when the bank wanted confidentiality and she told them to get stuffed :D

Dave, Bookworm, Stephen and Lisa, you were all a credit to the site and showed that this whole thing is just normal people wanting their money back. (the comments on your looks are fully justified Lisa, 'wow' was the thought that sprung to mind! :) )

All in all fantastic work, I couldn't get on last night but I knew it would be because of the amount of hits the site would be taking, which is great news for us all.

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Yeah...funny how, if they do have these costs, they can't disclose them. I would have thought that by now it would be in their best interests to actually sort out a breakdown of the costs if they were genuine.

LBA sent 15/05/2006