• Tweets

• Good Evening, I've got a fairly simple question but I'll provide some context incase needed. I've pursued a company that has operations in england despite them having no official office anywhere. I've managed to find a site they operate from and the papers there have been defended so I know they operate there. They've filed a defence which is honestly the worst defence ever, and despite being required to provide their witness evidence, they have not and have completely ignored the courts and my request for copies of it. I'm therefore considering applying to strike out their defence on the grounds the defence was rubbish and that they haven't provided any evidence for the trial. However, it has a trial date set for end of june, and a civil application wouldn't get heard until a week before then, so hardly worth it. However, my local court is very good at dealing with paper applications (i.e ones that don't need hearings, and frankly I think they are literally like 1-2 days from when you submit it to when a Judge sees it. I'm wondering if I can apply to strikeout a defence without a hearing OR whether a hearing is required for a strikeout application.   Thanks
    • I have just opened another bank acc with lloyds (i have a few already) After doing some research they may have some relation to tsb or be apart of the same group will this cause me issue if my salary is paid into my lloyds account? Also, if the debts do go into default and nothing is paid then after 6 years it all goes away? As the DCAs cannot do anything? I do want to start paying in like 3/4 months or do you advise I leave it if it goes into default? again sorry for all the questions, i am just processing everything
    • one reply only  follow post 2 of letter of claim <<clickme link. dx
    • Sorry, I got confused  Yes, it states all three   Thanks, 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Citicards CCA request - Does not apply to Citicards!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4722 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok I'm Confused. :confused:

Citicards have replied to my CCA request stating that "section 78 of the CCA 1974 does not require CitiFinancial to provide a copy of the executed agreement" as it only requires CitiFinancial to provide a "copy of the executed agreement as defined by the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983.

They also state that " The obligation to provide the account holder with that document is fulfilled by the provision of the terms and conditions, which are supplied to customers upon reissue of their card, being printed on the card carrier." A nine page document was attached to the letter detailing Interest rates and TC's which does not fulfill my request for a duplicate of the signed CCA.

DO I wait the 12+2 days then issue a Non compliance letter, or are Citi exempt.

Any pointers/thoughts to help a simpleton would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to check a couple of points on the Credit Agreement, one of which is whether or not I agreed to "PPI". My main motive is to get 13 random PPI payments refunded which are clearly shown as "PPI" on my statements but according to Citi this bolt on extra is under my account profile.

Long story short. I used the card for about 12 months taking it up to credit limit, then paid it off and forgot about it. I moved bank and as I wasn't at the time using the card and there was not a outstanding balance I didn't see changing the DD a priority. Much to my stupidity I admit to not canceling the card.

Nine months later I received a "sharp" phonecall from Citi collections demanding a on the spot payment of £170 or my first born would be taken to the slaughter. It transpired that PPI had been added to my account 6 weeks after the balance had been paid off in full and had been charged monthly until it was discovered. Citicards approach to my complaint was "If you can prove wrong doing we might look into it"

I had to pay the balance totaling £380 including late payment fees for a service I never requested, and as such my motive In requesting a copy of the CCA is to prove to Citicards that my account had been administered incorrectly.

Morning Gizmo.

I was lucky and didn't need to send out a SAR as I had access to all of my statements online. I successfully claimed back all of the Late payment charges which was surprising easy, In fact a bit too easy. I had the usual hate mail but after issuing the LBA they rolled over and credited my account.

Going by the signature, the letter was signed by Juliet Wabum on behalf of Richard Cooke who is the Data Protection Officer.

I like a challenge!!:)

Yes indeed Stroke a badger, my OH has had the same letter to-day with exactly the same wording. Any template letters to infuriate dear Brian, copy of T&C's is not our idea of the original contract!! Unlike you they did not refund any penalties and we haven't gone down this route yet however it would seem that without a copy of an original agreement any allegations are unprovable and unenforcable!

• 4 weeks later...

Citicards are point blankly refusing to send a copy of the CCA and have stated that If I take any additional action outside of their complaints process I will be in breach of contract and will be dealt with appropriately!!

All I want is a copy of the CCA, PPI to be removed from my account and a refund of PPI charges which they are refusing to do as section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act does not apply to them.

To be honest, the more they play hardball the more I want to take it further this is now more about non-compliance than money.

Quickest way to resolve this would be to send in an SAR, their reply should then include a copy of the original agreement which will tell you if PPI was requested.

Or you could just email Brian direct, think this might help quite a few of you as you find him replying to your letters so slowly.

I forgot to add that having had a few friedly chats with a few people there (which ive used to my advantage to glean information) they normally archive information with Iron Mountain (a data archiving firm) and so if they have archived copy applications then this would be the reason for any delays as they have to get the paperwork back and often there is no guarantee that they still have the original, therefore i would send of the S.A.R request and if they do not include a copy application when they respond then ask for it as this falls within the remit of them sending you all data they hold on you, if its missing or misplaced then ask for the PPI to be removed.

• 4 weeks later...

The plot thickens..........

I received this morning, a letter from our buddy, Brian Smith regarding my request for a true copy of the CCA. He starts off by "regretting" to inform me that section 78 of the CCA act of 1974 does not require his client to provide a copy of the executed agreement as I appear to believe. What It does require is for his client to provide a "copy of the executed agreement" as defined by the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983.

It is also mentioned that the "Obligation to provide me with that document is fulfilled by the provision of a card carrier which is an Industry standard.

A couple of other statements that made me laugh.

"I note you claim the account is in "dispute" and "forbid" any passing of data to third parties. With all due respect, you are not entitled, whilst you owe money to my client to forbid any such thing and the dispute is simply a manufacture of your own"

Also -

"Unless and until you pay the debt due my client is entitled to report your behavior to the credit bureau and to sell your debt to any third party it chooses. The DPA does not exist so that people can evade their creditors as you appear to believe. In the event that you fail to make payments then my client shall take whatever actions it deems appropriate commensurate with common law and the agreement".

I don't understand why Citicards are refusing to provide me with a copy of the CCA, thats or course if it still exists that is...

All of the penalty charges have been repaid by Citi, apart from the PPI premiums which started to appear after the account was paid off. The only reason why I want the CCA is so that I can prove that at no point did I request PPI and it was added to my account with out my consent.

I think my next course of action will be to lodge a formal complaint with F.O.S or anybody who will listen

• 4 weeks later...

Quick Update.

Citicards have threatened to close my account (Fine by me as I don't owe them any money!) and If I complain to FOS or consider legal action I will be liable for their legal costs. They have also said that If my account were to be closed then I would be unable to take pursue my request for a signed copy of the credit agreement any further.

I understand that once a account is closed the Creditor is not obliged to provide a copy of the Credit agreement, however surely they have to for fill their obligation under the CCA if the request is made prior to this. Am I correct in thinking this?

All I want is a copy of my Credit Agreement so I can prove that I didn't request PPI, It's not rocket science!!

Well my Complaint form is ready and just needs to be posted to FOS, lets see what happens next...........

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am dealing with citi at the moment and they seem to ignore letters and waste time.

Ithink you should go ahead, I am at the moment playing pingpong with cca request and they refuse to send me one

I have gone for no acknowledgement of debt- i owe about £3000.00, but I think it will have to go to court before they admit they have no CCA

good luck

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone

This is donnodon v citifinancial europe plc

I am new to your group and are trying to check if "citi" have been known to have over egged the interest charges in the last twelve months as my account on interest charges has been hiked up in my view, for purchases only, from Nov 2006 at 1.829% monthly to June 2007, purchases only, to 1.995% monthly and again in August, purchases only, to 2.495% monthly untill close of the account yesterday on the 20th of November 2007.

There was an average present balance per month over ten months of the twelve months period of say £2,500.00 with a monthly repayment of just over their minimum payment requirement paid for ten months for use of their money for which they have wrestled from me the sum of £469.79 in total interest for purchases only.

The present balance is nil and the account has been closed by me due to their unfairness with the interest rates.

I have been their customer since the year 2000 and when I challenged them over the interest payments recently, one person was willing to concede on future interest charges but not on the past interest charges.

Can anybody comment please?

Any contributions would be very welcome!

Many thanks

Best to start your own thread.

On the subject of interest charges, unfortunately I don't think you will have much luck.

From memory the rise to 19.9% was sent to customers in writing, so it's likely that any other increase would have been also.

If you have not received written notification of the rise then I think you could probably challenge it - albeit this would be new territory for me.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

• 3 months later...

Citicard have after 8 months, complied with my CCA request (with a little help from the FOS) and what they have sent me would explain why they used the Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents Regulations act as smoke screen.

Before I post this little beauty I need figure out why my scanner isn't scanning, but I can give you a hint - Authorisation Form.

They have only supplied an 'Authorisation Form'? Surely that's unenforceable in court?

NatWest - WON! £3350 Paid back

Vodafone - Default removed

Citicards - Judgement awarded for £1898, default remains though...for now....

Capital One- WON! Settled out of Court £392 + Default Removal!

Is all the small print legible?

There are definately reasons as to why they have taken so long, is the document missing alot of the perscribed content that makes it valid. It should include percentage rates of interest, along with a signature on behalf of Citi which is evidently missing.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

No cancellation terms

No APR

No credit limit

No repayment terms

No signature or mark from Citicards

I have pretty dam good eyes and the small print is too small to read!

It does not answer my original question about PPI being added 12 months after the account was opened.