• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Colin & Claire V Abbey ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6044 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I started my Abbey Claim for £3,222 in late January. It took them 3 weekes to send 6 years worth of statements and they cashed the cheque for £10!

I immediately used the templates to request my refund and they wrote back stating that they would deal with it within 4 weeks. On the day the 4 weeks was up they wrote saying they needed another 4 weeks to review it.

I wrote stating that if i had no refund within 14 days i would press ahead with the court action. On day 12 £670 was paid into my account and on the following day a letter explaining that was a goodwill gesture and if i did not reply by 8 weeks the matter would now be closed.

I rang to see if i could "negotiate" a better outcome and just got told it could be reviewed again and it would take another 4 weeks! so i said i was not prepared to accept the £670 and would start court proceedings.

They were served on the 28th April and i was quite surprised to see that after 7 days they have acknowledged the claim. I was quite expecting them to take the 14 days. I am now waiting up until the 26th May to see if they enter a defence.

I was hoping somewhere along the line a sensible offer would be made but it looks like at the moment its going all the way which seems silly to be as i would of accepted an offer of £2,500 ish at the beginning but it now looks like it will end up costing them nearer £4,000.

Abbey - Claiming £4,044.82:lol: offered £4,170 - accepted:) :) :) :)

Mint - Claiming £769.71:lol: offered £217 - declined

NatWest - Claiming £272

Hi ColPac! When you requested for your statements, did they sent you a letter about complaints procedure with a book?

Regards

Andrew

ANDY VS ABBEY 23rd April 2007 -

'Don't get mad, get even'

'Patience is a virture'

Hi Colpac

Looks like you've had the standard letters that most other people here have had.

It seems Abbey take it to the line, It would make sense for them to settle earlier rather than later and avoid the interest and court cost payments but they don't!

Look on the bright side, where else can you get 8% for your savings!

Good Luck!

Hi colpac,

Things seem to be going well for you and following a well-trodden path. The word sensible doesn't enter the Abbey's vocabulary...........they delay and prevaricate and intimidate and hope you'll go away...........and for every one of us that does then they've had a good result. So it's up to us to make sure we don't give up:)

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

Hi ColPac! When you requested for your statements, did they sent you a letter about complaints procedure with a book?

Regards

Andrew

I have had that letter and book with every letter they have sent! Just ignore it and follow your own time guidelines.

NatWest - Claiming £272

Guest louis wu

Colpac, As Charley says, Abbey are never sensible, and never give sensible offers (around 50% is the best they ever offer)

Just stick with it, it can be a bit long winded now, waiting for the courts, but just bear with it. In the end, you'll get a full refund (plus interests and costs http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/announcement.php?f=84&a=84 ) and then it will all be worth while.

Louis

Oh i will definitely keep going no fear about that.

I am in the building trade and have actually done the small claims court before so i am not too worried about it.

Even though taking on a major bank may be a little different than one person who would not pay there bill !!

Whatever happens though i will keep going.

NatWest - Claiming £272

so i am presuming that just before the 28 days are up Abbey will file a defence.

On average what sort of timescale am i looking at from then?

NatWest - Claiming £272

Difficult to say now as a number of court strategies are taking place. Dispensing with the AQ seems to be the norm now and there are a number of cases having the defence struck out, then of course the judge may follow the draft directions all of which bring speedier settlements. Alternatively it could go on months if a court date is allocated....its all in the hands of the court system now.

Abbey £4340.59 *WON* Jan 07

Abbey II MCOL 31/03/07 £8800.00

Please note..I AM NOT AN EXPERT ANYTHING WHAT I POST IS PURELY MY OPINION AND MAY BE WRONG IT IS JUST BASED ON MY UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE

Read my latest claim its a fast track potentially

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/61406-noobrider-abbey-take-2-a.html?highlight=noobrider

read my first claim which includes attending a directions hearing in court

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/10576-noobrider-abbey.html?highlight=noobrider

Guest louis wu

noobrider is correct, but the often banks seem to manage an 'extension' to their court paperwork, so never assume anything, even if it appears that the deadline has gone. If in doubt call the court and ask for an update.

Louis

i have just realised i made a mistake on the MCOL form, i put in the particulars of claim part that i was claiming £3,222 charges, £582.32 interest making a total of £3924.82( i have mistakenly added on the £120 court fee)

The court fee has then been added on at the bottom making the total claim £4,044.82 which is obviously £120 too much.

The claim has been acknowledged and abbey have 12 days left to defend.

What should i do?

NatWest - Claiming £272

Guest louis wu

There are 2 things you can do.

Change the claim, there is a form, N244

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/41901-form-n244-application-notice.html

which costs £35 (not claimable)

or do nothing and hope it gets missed. Don't forget, you wont see a judge, and they will settle in full soon.

I would advise the first option, but I know people who would advise the second. The choice is yours.

Louis

ok, so what will happen if i just leave it and soneone does pick up on it?

Will it be thrown out or will any payout just be reduced by £120

NatWest - Claiming £272

Guest louis wu

I don't know, but its unlikely they will actually appear in court.

Like I said,

I would advise the first option, but I know people who would advise the second. The choice is yours.

Sorry I can't help more, but it's a personal choice now.

Louis

Im at an annoying stage now, i have 5 days left for shabbey to file a defence and as each day passes im getting more hopeful that they wont defend at all.

I used MCOL so can i file for default online as soon as the 28 days are up?

My other hope is that because the deadline falls on a weekend they might just miss it:D But i wont hold my breath

NatWest - Claiming £272

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

so it basically could go either way after reading the outcome of those two posts.

Well at least i suppose i am slightly getting nearer to my money:D

NatWest - Claiming £272

Well my hopes were short lived, Abbey sent a copy of there defence today and checked MCOL and it is now being transferred to a local court.

So i guess i start preparing my bundle etc.

NatWest - Claiming £272

Guest louis wu

It's not a total suprise, and just about sums them up.

As to your court bundle, well, you will almost certainly have to do one. You may, however, be asked to complete an Allocation questionaire first. Some courts are not using them in relation to bank charges anymore, but some still are. Wait and see what the judge orders.

Nothing to stop you you looking at the bundle though, and try not to be put off when you first see it, its not as bad as it first looks.

If you need to do the AQ, then there is a new way of doing it, its in the general forum. Any problems in finding it, post and I'll find you a link, but you should be ok.

Good luck

Louis

I may as well get on with the bundle then, got to be better than trying to rush it at the last minute

NatWest - Claiming £272

How long on average is it before i hear anything from the local courts?

Just getting impatient now as it seems like nothing is happening.

NatWest - Claiming £272

hi,im on my 2nd claim now as i split the 1st to keep it in small claims,i got my defence from abbey about 2 weeks ago for this 2nd claim and got a court date a week later,its 2 mths off,but it goes quick!last time,abbey settled a week before my court date,its really exciting!!the court bundles pretty straightforward,the instructions on here are so brilliant and everyones so helpful.i didnt bother phoning or writing to abbey in between,i just left it till they got in touch with me,cos they will do.hilx:lol:

I have had is a letter from northampton court(MCOL) saying it is being transferred to my local court and that the Allocation Questionaire will be dispensed with unless the local Judge rules otherwise.

I guess i just wait for a court date now, its been 3 weeks since abbey sent me there defence so it seems to be dragging on now

NatWest - Claiming £272

i would check to see if the court has received the defence, you never know, Abbey may have forgotten to file it :-)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

They must have as MCOL dont transfer it to your local court until it has been defended.

NatWest - Claiming £272