No to 0870 numbers

robert_harper_2000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just want to make sure everyone knows when they do call the bank they should get the telephone number from the saynoto0870.com website - although my girlfriend works in the bank and says if asked the can put you through, if they don't ask to speak to a manager or supervisor and say you wish to make a complaint in writing - They hate this! they might try and say the manager is busy but keep on they aren't allowed to put the phone down. AT ALL - unless your being threating.

Help me to help others!

they might try and say the manager is busy but keep on they aren't allowed to put the phone down. AT ALL - unless your being threating.

Maybe, but there are a lot of accidental disconnections.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Yes, the banks do seem to be having a lot of 'accidents.' Perhaps it is time to place an additional legion in the front line. If they are not training their staff adequately in telephone customer service, can they demonstrate that the training is up to scratch in other areas?

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Just want to make sure everyone knows when they do call the bank they should get the telephone number from the saynoto0870.com website - although my girlfriend works in the bank and says if asked the can put you through, if they don't ask to speak to a manager or supervisor and say you wish to make a complaint in writing - They hate this! they might try and say the manager is busy but keep on they aren't allowed to put the phone down. AT ALL - unless your being threating.

This service is linked in the Library - alhtough it went up some time ago and so may be on the second page.

Here's a quick rundown, for anyone interested, of the major players...

Organisation

Geographical number

Freephone number

Special Instructions

Barclaycard

01604 614811

0800 400100

(Main switchboard - ask operator for B/card)

NatWest

0800 0154212

Abbey

0161 9516500

0800 7317774

A & L

0116 2004444

0800 0688638

(press option 2)

Bank Of Scot

0131 5498041

0500 800500

Barclays Bank

02476 842099

0800 435872

Co-op Bank

01695 53760

0800 576777

(hold for Customer Services)

Halifax

01422 380880

0800 0856280

(Use option 2)

HSBC

01226 261010

0800 520420

(Main switchboard - ask 4 Customer Services)

Lloyds TSB

0207 7857654

0800 0320444

(Operator will transfer you to correct department)

NatWest

01634 890876

RBS

0131 3174597

Yorkshire Bank

0141 9517315

Some of these freephone, and indeed geographical alternatives, may require you to speak to an operator and ask to be transfered to customer services or the correct department. If that is the case and they make a fuss of you using the 'wrong' number, then best advice is to 'play dumb' and say you had no idea, and of course promise not to phone the 'wrong' number again...

Many more on the site.... why pay more? :D

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Just want to make sure everyone knows when they do call the bank they should get the telephone number from the saynoto0870.com website

Thanks for this actual website name. I had spent so long fruitlessly searching the Library forums for this. Perhaps it got restructured to somewhere else when the site changed - ?

Howsoever, many thanks also to Jonni2bad for the list of major players - you beat me to it.

Perhaps these could be listed somewhere in the Library under contacts or something?

• 1 year later...

Advertising is supposed to show the cost, but if they don't and you complain to OFCOM, they tell the number provider to ask their client to make sure they do! It's a dreadful state of affairs.

Actually, they are. OFCOM have overall responsibility for all communications, ICSTIS, an industry-funded body deals with disputes and regulation of content, NOT the charges for number blocks or the criteria for which the numbers are used.

• Haha 1

Well complained to Megabus as it declined both of my credit cards which caused my a great deal of stress when I ended up in Gloucester ( FH Case ) which I didn't need. They sent a letter explaining wasn't their problem and if I had anything else to add to phone them on 090 sth doesn't mention but I thought that was sth like £1.50 / minute.

Slightly underhand I thought?

Help me to help others!

To be fair to Megabus, they don't process cards themselves, they use WorldPay,owned by the RBS. They offer a local rate support service for customers with difficulties, and is on their website. Complaining to Megabus would be pointless, as they only process your sale when WorldPay gives you both a reference code.

I had a similar problem that went through WorldPay and my card was rejected despite it being fine for everything else (and my card was an RBS one) it turned out to be an error caused by no Maestro Issue number. At the time I should have entered 0 in this box instead of leaving it blank. They fixed it to allow either after my complaint.

The whole premium rate industry is a revenue sharing criminal disgrace. The regulators Ofcom and Icstis should be horse whipped.

Why the hell are they letting companies use '09' premium rate numbers that were intended to be used for the payment of crap like tarot readings and chat lines?

and if I had anything else to add to phone them on 090 sth doesn't mention but I thought that was sth like £1.50 / minute.

Slightly underhand I thought?

and yes, strictly speaking they should have informed you in the letter the price rate of the call.

The whole premium rate industry is a revenue sharing criminal disgrace. The regulators Ofcom and Icstis should be horse whipped.

WHEN the idea was first discussed in a 'consultation paper' by OFTEL, I objected saying that removing control of telephone charging from the customer to any old third party would case problems. They responses on two counts, saying that; (1) It was being done elsewhere and if it was not allowed they could be accused of being anti-competitive. (2) That as only licenced telcos could offer Premium Rate numbers, they would act responsibly and ensure fair play.

All this ignored the fact that third-party resellers would become involved and along with this and reverse-charge mobile SMS, the matter has just spiralled out of control.

reverse charged sms. what a rip off. there must be literally hundreds of thousands of parents out there hating the fact that their children have sent for one ringtone etc, not reading the small print ( which obviously children dont ) and had their balance wiped out.

why are these companies not regulated better and why isnt the whole telecom industry fairer to the user.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

OFCOM has decreed the industry should be self-regulating as far as possible, and firms get to do what they want to do unless there is a public outcry. Unfortunately, with reverse-charge SMS, the outcry hasn;t been loud enough, and it is accepted that consumers gullible enough to give unrestricted access to their finances by using DD, won't care a jot if bills can be run up without them having control of their charges.

• 5 months later...

Got this from another site, not sure if I should or shouldn't say where, let me know and I'll adjust it accordingly but thought may be of help!

Orange charging for 07978 international calls - you can terminate your contract early!

Found by AV1985 on 2007-10-29 14:58:52

If you look at your latest Orange bill, they are going to be charging for numbers like 07978 that are used to call abroad from December 15th. However, there is a clause in the Orange contract which enables you to terminate the contract early.

Orange - terms and conditions

it is clause 4.3 in that link, the clause is:

"4.3 terminating your Contract because Orange has changed its terms

You may also terminate your Contract if we vary its terms, resulting in an excessive increase in the Charges or changes that alter your rights under this Contract to your detriment. In such cases you would need to give us at least 14 days written notice prior to your Billing Date (and within one month of us telling you about the changes). "

So if you want to cancel your contract early because of these changes, do it quickly but avoid paying for the remainder of your contract when Orange no longer give you any benefit!

Help me to help others!

You may also terminate your Contract if we vary its terms, resulting in an excessive increase in the Charges or changes that alter your rights under this Contract to your detriment.

If you never use this number then you wont be able to use this clause to get out of your contract, as it will not affect you and how you have used the contract to date

Actually - tariffs are regularly modified, and you do not have to be with them for the minimum term before it changes. All we are talking about it the moving of a '07' code from an inclusive bundle (as a mobile) to a revenue avoidance [problem]. It's not an 'International' number - simply an enterprising third party who is hoping to make a business model using an 'old' mobile code.

Indeed, Orange of a history of completely blocking access to 0800 numbers that are free to dial on some contracts, simply because they are used to access an unnoficial low-cost routing scheme. Faced with blocking access or charging - I go for the latter option every time.

However as a way of getting out of your contract with ease, I just don't see it as being successful.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks