Currys laptop 5 months old, broken.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6195 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Keep it short, i bought my wife a laptop late Nov 06 and on the 04/04/07 the screen dissapeared never to return again so i called the number on the leaflet that day and after checking out the laptop via the chap on the phone he arranged to get it picked up the next day saying 7 to 10 days to get it returned. Havent heard a dickie bird since so phoned today and was told they would call me back today at some point when they look into it, 4 o'clock came and i called back, eventually i was told they were waiting on a part coming from the manufacturers and couldnt give me an estimate of when it will be ready.

My wife is using our sons laptop for now as she is in the latter stages of her degree at uni but really needs her own one back, the whole situation in regards to no calls or letters to let us know the progress and the lack of a clear timescale it will now take has left me with a bad impression of their aftersales service and i will be taking my business elsewhere from now on.

They have now had this laptop for over a month now and it is only 5 months old, not impressed by their service.

The seller has a duty to repair the laptop whilst limiting inconvenience to you as much as possible. I have no idea how long these things are supposed to take, but a month seems to be unreasonable to me.

I would write a letter to them asking for specific details. What is the part? Where is it sourced from? Is another part available that would do the same job? From this information, it may be worth a couple of phone calls to see if anyone else has the part, and you can then ask the shop to get the part there rather than waiting for their current supplier.

If it really is the case that there is no option but to wait for this part, and there are none in stock elsewhere, then there would be little point in going to another repairer, and all you can really do is claim damages for loss of convenience, or ask for a replacement laptop (I doubt you would get that and presume that you will want and need your own one back).

• Haha 1

Thx for the reply and yes she really wants the same one back due to programmes that have been put on it, i will just need to wait, the part is a motherboard and they are waiting on it from the manufacturer, dont suppose comntacting currys direct would help in the matter.

Certainly contact Curries and tell them to get the manufacturer to get a move on. You should be able to claim some money for inconvenience, but I suspect you would have a battle on your hands.

Hope you good lady has her data backed up??

'cause from my experience, few laptops come back with the data intact! Remember if they replace it, it will be as new in terms of software. So you will have to reinstall everything again.

And it's odd but most faults are alledgedly the motheboard, when sheds send laptops off to be repaired. In which case the HDD should not change, but they do!

I don't always believe what I say, I'm just playing Devils Advocate

Wont tell her that one for now lol, she has backed up all her data but she has a lot of things on the laptop she has downloaded and it was to save her from having to do all that again.

Thanks for the reply

After 28 days you are automatically entitled to a replacement to the same specification. Similar thing happened to me with a Dixons laptop. Third time it went in for repair it was in over a month. Called them up with the "28 days" weapon and was instantly given an "authorisation code" to go into Dixons and replace.

Just out of interest....wasnt a Fujitsu Siemens was it???

Jane

x

Eeek I replaced the awful Fujitsu with a Toshiba....:o

I was in a similar situation, all my coursework was on the laptop. Thankfully I had backed it up to another PC on our network so I didnt lose anything, but it played havok with my work for 6 weeks.

Tell the kids they dont need a laptop, its summer :)

Hopefully yours will be ok, thats right she has backed it all up but as she says its all the programmes and sites she uses that she dosent want to have to set back up again and as you know the worst time of the year for it to break.

Hi Jane it was a Toshibquote]

My thoshiba laptop went last week its being collected tommrow i didnt phone up that number u phoned i phoned toshiba direct

Its going to go same repair center. Just do everything direct toshiba still open now if u need them call them i dont have the number sorry!"