What is code 622?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I just got my first ever parking ticket and it's for parking in front of my house! We live in a very quiet Close with just a few houses and no many pedestrians. The only few people you see are the neighbours walking to their cars and back. I did park on the main road with 2 wheels slightly on the pavement though. Mind you it's a small and girly KIA car. The road is very narrow and I thought I was doing my neighbours a favour by creating more driveable road space. I'VE BEEN PARKING LIKE THAT FOR 5 YEARS! Everybody was parking this way. Today everybody parked on the road (each household has at least 2 cars!) causing a lot of unecessary confusion and chaos. I've never seen any traffic wardens in this area before. Don't know how they got here...

NOW I HAVE A TICKET (while feeding my baby inside)!

I am on maternity leave (unpaid) and it breaks my heart to give £40 away like that (1 month worth of food & nappies for my baby!), yet I paid the PCN immediately as I did not want to stretch the agony of separating with the money. Now that I found this forum I truly regret it. I do have some queries and I would be very happy if someone would enlighten me a bit:

:idea: The PCN states the contravention description as "Parked with one or more wheels on any part of an urban road other than a carriageway (footway parking)" code 622, yet I could not find any definition of code 622. The closest I can get is code 62. What is code 622?

:idea: The place is indicated as XXXXX Close. Does it have to have a precise address (it was outside my house)? I did read the Road Traffic Act 1991 (c. 40), Part III, Traffic In London

(http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1991/Ukpga_19910040_en_3.htm#mdiv66) but it did not specify.

:idea: Can the council send traffic wardens to areas that they've ignored for so many years (not that they were needed there)? What triggers these "wake-ups"?

:idea: Couldn't there just be a warning for those parked outside their houses as they definitely did not negatively affect or offend anybody (apart from the traffic warden, apparently)?!

:idea: Why can't the traffic wardens go and find the real offenders and leave the small trouble-less communities alone, unless there is a cause to police it.

:idea: Is there anything that can be done to challenge my PCN and get the money back (apart from parking properly on the main road!)?

Thank you and park wisely!

Parking tickets*-*Contravention codes

There doesn't appear to be a code 622, but there is a code 62 which relates to the contravention that you have been given a PCN for. If they have put the wrong code down I would think it renders the PCN invalid, but I'm sure someone will be along who can confirm or deny that.

Oh, you need to know that it is nothing to do with keeping the traffic moving but all about generating revenue :)

• Haha 1

The Road Traffic Act 1991, S66 (3)

(3) A penalty charge notice must state—
    (a) the grounds on which the parking attendant believes that a penalty charge is payable with respect to the vehicle;

Your ticket clearly does this using English rather than a code.

If the code was valid, but different from the written grounds, you could argue that you ave not been clearly told the grounds - that the PCN is ambiguous. However, you PCN states the grounds in English and then has some totally unrelated writing (Code 622) that the council could argue is nothing to do with the statutaory requirements of the PCN.

In fact, we need to see a scan of the PCN to establish if the use of a non-existent code is misleading from the way that it has been written (ie that the code is what purports to comply with 3(a) above)

Hi,

:idea: The PCN states the contravention description as "Parked with one or more wheels on any part of an urban road other than a carriageway (footway parking)" code 622, yet I could not find any definition of code 622. The closest I can get is code 62. What is code 622?

:idea: The place is indicated as XXXXX Close. Does it have to have a precise address (it was outside my house)? I did read the Road Traffic Act 1991 (c. 40), Part III, Traffic In London

(http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1991/Ukpga_19910040_en_3.htm#mdiv66) but it did not specify.

:idea: Can the council send traffic wardens to areas that they've ignored for so many years (not that they were needed there)? What triggers these "wake-ups"?

:idea: Couldn't there just be a warning for those parked outside their houses as they definitely did not negatively affect or offend anybody (apart from the traffic warden, apparently)?!

:idea: Why can't the traffic wardens go and find the real offenders and leave the small trouble-less communities alone, unless there is a cause to police it.

:idea: Is there anything that can be done to challenge my PCN and get the money back (apart from parking properly on the main road!)?

Thank you and park wisely!

To answer your questions.

1. This is being dealt with above

2. Providing the reference is unambiguous and indicates where the vehicle was seen, then it is sufficient.

3. The Council cannot send traffic wardens anywhere. TW work for the Police. Councils only control Parking Attendants. This difference is crucial. If the Council or the PCN uses the words Traffic Warden then the PCN is void and unenforceable as only PAs can issue a PCN. If it was issued by a TW, then it will be either an ECN or an FPN and these are enforceable via the Magistrates' Court system and not the council.

4. This is about revenue, not parking or traffic flow. Warnings don't generate income.

5. TWs do. PAs however, have no other function than to raise revenue for the Council. All they are empowered to do is issue PCNs. They cannot direct traffic or take on any other traffic duty.

6. At the moment, all rests on the validity of the PCN. If you let this go to later stages, the Council are almost certain to foul up the paperwork.

• 3 years later...

Reading the different threads on this topic I'm still not sure whether writing the "code 62" as "code 622" amounts to invalid code.

I have received a PCN which has the following wording,

.....(description/details of the car) was logged at 09:17 Issued at 09:23 on 02/10/2010 by Civil Enforcement Officer ......(number & sign) who had resonable cause to believe that the following parking contravention had occured.

Contravention Code 622

Parked with one or more wheels on or overa foothpath or any part of the road other than a carriageway (2wheels on footway)

Please can somebody help me on this.

P.S can somebody also tell me whether this code 62 is enforceable on Saturdays!

please post your reply here on my thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?279282-HELP!-I-m-desperate!&p=3150695&highlight=#post3150695

Thanks in advance.

Bobo Myseen

:wave:

If you read thread :madgrin: HELP! I'm desperate! :madgrin: you find more info on this 622 code

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...t=#post3150695

Click link

:wave:

dk

:welcome::rofl::welcome:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:tea:

most of my knowledge is from the school of hard knocks

not based on any legal background

As quite a lot fellow caggers state seek Legal Advice

:ranger: