Time limit on debt collection???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3644 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi again - more advice please ! :confused: MucK Hall have now sent (carrying on from the above threads) another "letter" to me resembling a P45 with tear off edges - inside stating that they have had no response from me and unless I contact them in 7 days ? they will send "field collectors"

any pointers...................thanks.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hi again - another letter from Muck Hall ! this time stating this is the final offer as the "Client" has reduced the amount outstanding by around £300 and this is a "generous" offer !!! LOL. The offer is "time barred" and won't be made again !! I guess just like the Debt itself :confused:.

and kindly included a direct debit mandate for me to sign......whats odd though is that the balance they want (same ref no) varies from around £650 to £1,472 and now the generous discount to £1,100 !!

Shall I ignore this one also :confused:.

Yes ignore them.

Incidentally they put the bit in about it being 'time barred' not because IT IS time barred but in the hope that should the OFT jump on their necks they can claim they told you the debt was time barred ........so no harm done Eh gov..........otherwise why not just say, as is normal, "this offer is 'time limited to x days

I have an outstanding debt that dates from 2003, I receive letters every so often from different collection agencies but have not responded.

My Experian report says that the default was on 30th Sept 2003.

Does that mean if I don't do anything till October this year, the debt is unenforceable?

I have an outstanding debt that dates from 2003, I receive letters every so often from different collection agencies but have not responded.

My Experian report says that the default was on 30th Sept 2003.

Does that mean if I don't do anything till October this year, the debt is unenforceable?

NO.

Thats the date the default was put on the account, the last payment would have probably been at least 3 months before this!

Remember it's stat barred from the last payment, not the default.

Jogs

Thanks for that, but just to clarify.

I had another debt that has a default date of 16 July 03 on the Experian report, but I have a note that I made a payment as part of an agreed repayment plan in Jan 04.

When does the 6 year clock start ticking from, the default date or the last repayment date?

Thanks for that, but just to clarify.

I had another debt that has a default date of 16 July 03 on the Experian report, but I have a note that I made a payment as part of an agreed repayment plan in Jan 04.

When does the 6 year clock start ticking from, the default date or the last repayment date?

Last Payment!

JOgs

• 2 months later...
Hey thanks guys - I will ignore them - if ? I get any more "letters" I will let you know, cheers again it's hard to know what to do without your help !!!

:D

Hi Guys , Not been on for a while (so things must have looked up !!:)) BUT I have had another letter regarding this old debt, this time not from Muck Hall but from "Meritforce" Door Step "Collectioneers", based again in Scotland, letter headed "AUTHORISED COLLECTOR VISIT" - they have given me until the 25th May to pay up, stating they are acting for Mackenzie Hall ???:confused: is this another "ignore" letter - thanks in advance - RF ;)

• 3 months later...

i received a letter yesterday from debt collecting agency concerning a loan account with abbey.although i held an account with them it was not a loan account.the debt collection agency say cant give me any information except to say was from 1994.this is first correspondence concerning this matter.what do i do?

i received a letter yesterday from debt collecting agency concerning a loan account with abbey.although i held an account with them it was not a loan account.the debt collection agency say cant give me any information except to say was from 1994.this is first correspondence concerning this matter.what do i do?

hi, welcome to cag.

as ODC says statute barred.

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

send them a copy of this.

print name.do not sign

SAM

• 2 years later...

I'm glad I came and looked at this page. I've started getting nasty letters from a firm that I last had dealings with 11 years ago threatening to come and take all my possessions. My partner was getting miffed with me (to say the least) but I am not sure where the debt has even come from!!! I only know it was that long ago as I reverted to my maiden name 11 years ago and this debt is in my married name. I was beginning to panic at the thought of them coming here - but I have just telephoned them and told them that no one of that name lives here - which is true. If they send another letter I will let them know that I know the law this time! Would they even turn up at the door or is it all threats?

:oops:

• 2 years later...

I once got a letter from red ref an old phone bill. I knew it was past the date that they could claim it so I replied asking for details of all letters between me and the people I owed the money to. they replied with a letter saying something like "sorry, we contacted you by mistake".

I've now (today) got a letter from lowell, asking if I once lived at another address, which I did. I'm not replying to it, just going to wait and see what happens next. I'll keep you all imformed

I once got a letter from red ref an old phone bill. I knew it was past the date that they could claim it so I replied asking for details of all letters between me and the people I owed the money to. they replied with a letter saying something like "sorry, we contacted you by mistake".

I've now (today) got a letter from lowell, asking if I once lived at another address, which I did. I'm not replying to it, just going to wait and see what happens next. I'll keep you all imformed

This thread is 7 years old

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.