• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Just got the directions and I think I'm happy with the judge!!! ***WON***

kazzor
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for all this useful advice. This place is amazing. I have just issued with MCOL and I will keep you posted on the progress. I am claiming just under 5k and have had all the sod off letters from Nat West. So, let the battle commence......LOL knowing my luck I will be the test case and end up at court. :D

• 1 month later...

I have issued with MCOL and have had a reply from the courts and cobblers saying they intend to defend the claim etc.....But, when I issue dwith MCOL all the papers come from Northampton County Court. I live in Manchester so when can I ask for the case to me heard in a court near me. :confused:

At AQ stage. Calm down

MCOL are based in Northampton but they will choose court nearest to you when AQ comes out to you, so dont worry, you can change it when AQ comes if you so wish. Everything fine. No worries. Fendy xxxxxxxxx Read the FAQ's on here

Hiya

Ok what will happen is you will get a defence from Cobbetts, that will tell you what they are defending for - my 2 claims were - lack of POC and also Prove that the Unfair Charges Act 1999 etc blah blah blah - OK!!!

Have you sent a copy of your Schedule of Charges to both Cobbets & the court, if not do so, they will use this as their defence.(****s)

After they have put in their defence, Northampton will then divert to a local court, nearer to you!!

Northampton is the MCOL Capital lol

Good Luck

xx

NW (NO 1) ACC

REC'D FULL SETTLEMENT 5/01/07 :)

NW (NO2) ACC

REC'D FULL SETTLEMENT 28/12/06 :lol:

NW (JOINT) ACC

MCOL STAGE AS WE SPEAK :-|

Court date 23rd May(bring it on!!!!)

Paid up 3 wks before court date - all done & dusted ( for now lol)

Send it to the court and don't forget to put your case number with it.

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Thanks everyone. Defence and CPR received today. Should I send this letter to the cobblers and the court?

Thanks;)

Claimant’s response to the request for further information

I have received a request from the defendants for further information, which they say is made pursuant to CPR Part 18.

However it is highly likely that this claim will be allocated to the fast claims track and I know part 18 does not apply.

The Defendant’s part 18 request suggests very strongly that I have not supplied them with enough information to mount a defence. Despite this they have submitted a very full and complicated defence.

I am anxious to be seen to be co-operating as much as I can and therefore I am providing the following information and sending a copy to the defendants.

In section 2.1 of their request, the defendants ask for a detailed breakdown of the charges that have been applied to our account and our account details. I do not understand why they require this information as I sent them a copy on both 6th November and 23rd November 2006. I have also filed a copy with my Allocation Questionnaire form, as well as an additional copy sent to Defendants

In section 2.2 the defendant asks why the charges should not have been levied against me, but it has already been explained in the claim, the charges are disproportionate penalties.

Section 4 of the defendant’s request; ask for details of our account contract with the defendant. However the defendants are clearly fully aware of the details of the contract, the contract is their own terms and conditions imposed by them with no basis for negotiation. Further more the defendant has purported to rely on upon the terms and conditions in order to implement charges against us. The defendants must understand very well, which are the contractual terms in issue.

I am sure the court is already aware of the current flood of litigation that is being brought against all of the major banks on the issue of penalty charges. I can tell the court that hundreds such of claims have been issued at courts around the country, many having been allocated to the fast track and there are at least 10 cases transferred to the mercantile court in London to be heard as a test case. However to date every case has been settled by the banks before going to a hearing, even Barclays bank which is the defendant at the Mercantile court cases has started contacting the claimants and making an offer of full settlement in order to avoid the case being fully heard.

The NatWest, the defendants in our own case has settled over 180 cases, many of them for much larger amounts than my own claim.

The banks are fully aware of the bank charges issue. The Office of Fair Trading conducted a 2-year investigation into Credit Card penalty charge cases and found they were unfair and unenforceable at law. The OFT also said there was a read-across to banks of their penalty charges. The OFT has urged the banks to comply with their findings. The banks have refused and the OFT in entering into further discussions with them.

In the meantime the banks oblige thousands of their customers – very ordinary citizens, to bring court claims which their banks or their solicitors then go on to complicate the process with procedural devices such as the present part 18 request.

Only those claimants of sufficient heart and tenacity are eventually paid out in full. I are sure the great majority give up altogether or accept reduced payments. This is the deliberate intention of the banks style of litigation.

The banks style of litigation is intimidatory and it is sham.

The banks style of litigation would be vexatious if it were not for the fact they are the defendants.

The Master of Rolls in 2004 addressed an international conference on vexatious litigation. He told the conference the evil of vexatious litigation was that it undermined justice and was a burden to the public resource.

I cannot imagine any better description of the result of the banks style of litigation.

It really should not be for an ordinary citizen to bear the burden of bringing the banks back within the rule of law.

The OFT has the power to deal with this matter and is tasked and resourced to do the job. If the OFT were to seek an injunction then this burden upon the private individual could probably be brought to an end within a week.

Yours Faithfully

What about something about like this, maybe

Dear Sir or Madam:

Claim No: XXXXX

I acknowledge receipt of your defence & request for further information and clarification.

I anticipate that the claim would be allocated to the small claims track and would not then expect to have to deal with a Part 18 request since these are specifically excluded under Part 27 unless the court specifically orders me to do so of its own initiative

Furthermore I consider that the CPR part 18 request is intimidatory and I intend to bring the intimidation to the notice of the court.

However, for clarity, I enclose a schedule of charges and I confirm the charges I am claiming were applied to the following account:

Account Name: XXXXX

Account numbers: XXXXX

Sort Code XXXXX

Amount XXXXX

Yours

NW (NO 1) ACC

REC'D FULL SETTLEMENT 5/01/07 :)

NW (NO2) ACC

REC'D FULL SETTLEMENT 28/12/06 :lol:

NW (JOINT) ACC

MCOL STAGE AS WE SPEAK :-|

Court date 23rd May(bring it on!!!!)

Paid up 3 wks before court date - all done & dusted ( for now lol)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I filed my AQ on the Thursday before Good Friday. I enclosed the order for directions as per the great info provided by this forum. My question is do I just sit back and wait? Do you think I may get an offer?

Thanks guys

Iam afraid you are in the hand of the courts now and depending which court you are at , will largely depend how long you have to wait. I have been waiting over 10 weeks since the court received my AQ, Give them a ring on a regular basis to see how your claim is progressing.Good luck.

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

It will be allocated to a "track" and a court date set.

Just sit back and wait for your cheque, it shouldnt be too long now.

Well Done so far

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Calm down its not done just yet.

Read through the Natwest successful threads and you will be able to work out exactly where you are on your mission.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

I would expect payment pretty soon! ;)

Y

Credit Cards

Barclaycard -WON! Amex - WON! MBNA (x2) - WON!

Mint - WON! Monument - WON! Morgan Stanley - WON!

Egg - WON! Halifax - WON! Sainsbury's Bank - WON!

Citi Cards -WON!

Banks

08/06/06 Claim against NatWest started.

01/11/06 Case Closed :)

08/06/06 Claim against Halifax started

24/08/06 Case closed :)

Visit my forum: http://www.planet-watch.org/forum

Hate to dampen the party spirits, but be prepared for a wait. I waited 11weeks from the court receiving my AQ to them giving directions. Yet on the other side .Cobblers may settle so unpredictable is the name of the game. Good luck.

Its a wait game.

But as soon as the court sets a hearing date you will be notified. You can then start the countdown to getting your money back.

Cobblers will not go to court. They will settle before court day.

• 2 weeks later...

:D I sent my AQ just before easter together with a copy of a draft order for directions. I asked the judge to strike out the CPR 18 request as an abuse of process and guess what............

District Judge Ackroyd has considered the statements of case and allocation questionnaires filed and allocated the claim to the small claims track.

By 25 May (this is quick) the defendant must file and serve a comprehensive witness statement from a responsible employee with statement of truth explaining the Banks charging regime and exhibiting all relevant documents justifying ot; and, if they are discretionary, the decision to apply the charges the subject of this claim to the claimant.

In default of compliance by the defendant the defence is struck out on 30 May 2007 and the claimant may apply for judgement

the Part 18 request is struck out as an abuse of process

So has anybody else had the same directions? I was a bit confused as the judge hasn't ordered me to do anything!!! So do I need to get my court bundle together? and, if so do I need to send it prior to the hearing.

Thanks

Hi

u havent got to do anything apart from waiting 4 the cheque to land on your mat......

The judge has basically said that "disclose costs by may 30th" which we all know they won't so u will get paid out b4 the 30TH

congratulations in advance

Scott