Natwest charges claim but have £2000 overdraft

FLUFFIES
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I hope I can get some advice on this. I want to claim back charges from Natwest but it is my current account and I have a £2000 overdraft on this account at the moment which is to the limit. I am afraid that if I go after these charges Natwest will recall my overdraft and I will be unable to pay it off and be in a worse situation. Please could you advise me on what to do in this situation?

Many thanks

Fluffies

How much are you looking at claiming?

I've found that almost my entire overdraft is made up of bank charges!

There have been reports of banks closing accounts after a claim, the best thing is to get a parachute account up and running, perhaps you'll be able to arrange the overdraft to be transferred or take our a loan to cover the overdraft.

Read http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-our-forum/58685-do-you-need-parachute.html for ideas of parachute accounts.

You need to review the terms of your overdraft to find out exactly what will happen if they demand its repayment. I don't think they can expect immediate repayment, more than likely you'd be expected to do a budget and pay a certain amount per month, you might be able to freeze interest in this case.

Not sure how much I am looking to claim but I know for the last year or so I have been paying a few hundred a month in charges alone - they take their charges out which causes me to go over my limit so they charge me for going over my limit!

I have a basic building society account if they turn nasty but was worried about having to pay back the overdraft in one go or they will threaten court action.

If you can`t afford to pay the o/d back, then you must be quite hard up, so go after your charges, if you don`t you`ll keep getting hit with more and your o/d will keep growing.

They will ask for your o/d to be repaid, they did with me.

Get your first letter off to them as soon as possible (read the FAQs to find it.)

Then tell them you are disputing the account (they can`t close an account in dispute) and you will attend to the overdraft as soon as the dispute is resolved.

After you have your charges back, offer them around £50 a month or what you can afford.

They`ll probably turn that down, tell them it`s all you can afford at present

They will pass it to their debt collection dept.

The debt department will almost certainly accept your offer to repay at £50 a month. Any regular payment is better than nothing as far as they are concerned.

They could threaten court action, but any court seeing you are offering regular payments towards your debt would not be interested, especially for only £2000.

Hope this helps, remember it`s your money they have.

Won....:D:D:D...£3778.50

Hi

I hope I can get some advice on this. I want to claim back charges from NatWest but it is my current account and I have a £2000 overdraft on this account at the moment which is to the limit. I am afraid that if I go after these charges Natwest will recall my overdraft and I will be unable to pay it off and be in a worse situation. Please could you advise me on what to do in this situation?

Many thanks

Fluffies

It sounds like they'll owe you more than you owe them. Go for it, put te account into dispute as mentioned, and get your money back.

BATRacer: Browser-based motor racing simulation. Free to play :)

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6q0

Advice offered by abo999 is without predjudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it.

You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt

Halifax: £1299 settled in full, payment received

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I sent my initial DPA request to NATWEST from the templates with my fee and they have sent a letter back saying they acknowledge my request and receipt of the fee and will forward any information that is required under Sec 7 of the DPA as soon as possible.

BUT...

they then have a paragraph headed 'Manual Intervention' and say...

"with reference to your request concerning any 'manual intervention' to the administrative charges debited, these charges have been processed in accordance with the terms and conditions of our current aggreement with you as a result of the activity on your account. In the event that you breach the terms and conditions, we will take the appropriate action, contacting customers when appropriate, or handling cuatomer enquiries regarding their account status. When a customer has raised a concern in relation to this process, the decision will be communicated to the customer and where appropriate noted on the account".

What are they saying??? That I can't claim any charges back because I agreed to them charging me??

Sorry about the length of this but I want to be sure I can still persue this claim.

Thanks in advance!

Hi

I think that's a bogstandard bit of bumph designed to put people off. I've just had one of those as well but as I've already sent Prelim and LBA doesn't really make much difference. Just shows how behind the times they are......

I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will correct me if I'm wrong, but my advice would be as soon as you get your statements, to get your charges onto the spreadsheet and send the Prelim letter.

Don't panic, the money is rightfully yours and as long as you follow CAG tried and trusted method, you will get it back.

As for your overdraft, if you get your charges back that will wipe out your overdraft.

We have a £600 agreed o/d which is always up to the limit, as yet they have not asked for it back. Anyway the charges I'm claiming should cancel it out (apart from the holiday spends for next month lol)

Wendy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I've had a response to my claim from Natwest stating that they are 'considering my claim and given the work involved in assessing the claim they anticipate they will be in a position to respond within 6-7 weeks'.

Please could you advise whether I wait for their reply or go ahead and issue the LBA after 14 days which is due on Friday?

Many thanks

Hi

I've had a response to my claim from NatWest stating that they are 'considering my claim and given the work involved in assessing the claim they anticipate they will be in a position to respond within 6-7 weeks'.

Please could you advise whether I wait for their reply or go ahead and issue the LBA after 14 days which is due on Friday?

Many thanks

Continue with the LBA.

Continue with the LBA as per your timescales. Imagine what the bank would do if they wrote to you threatening court action (some legitimate reason, maybe), and you replied to them saying it'd be 6 to 8 weeks before you could consider a response. Do you think they'd wait?

Advice offered by abo999 is without predjudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it.

You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt

Good point. Many thanks both. Preparing the LBA now for posting on Friday.

Assuming I get the charges back from them eventually, are they allowed to pay it into my account to clear the overdraft or do they have to send me a cheque?

Thanks again

If they do the same as with me, you'll get a cheque payable to 'FLUFFIES' in a/c 00xxxxxx, so you'll get a cheque, but can only pay it into the account specified. So the bank gets their money back, but at least your overdraft is cleared.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I sent the prelim letter to Natwest and they replied with their standard 'it will take 6/7 weeks for us to look into your query...'. I then issued the LBA letter 14 days from the prelim on 16th June.

Please could you tell me what I need to do next and also what my timescales are??

Many thanks

Hi

I sent the prelim letter to NatWest and they replied with their standard 'it will take 6/7 weeks for us to look into your query...'. I then issued the LBA letter 14 days from the prelim on 16th June.

Please could you tell me what I need to do next and also what my timescales are??

Many thanks

On Monday 2nd July, 2007 you file your claim either online trough MCOL or in person at your local county court using the template letters laid out in the litigation section.

Good luck but you should get your first partial letter soon..............:p

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

I'll get that ready now then!

What do I do if they send a partial offer in the meantime? Do I go ahead and file my claim anyway or follow another procedure?

Thanks again

If they send you a partial offer that doesn't cover the charges you're reclaiming, reject it outright and proceed with the court claim. If they send you an offer for the full amount of charges before you file at court, you should accept this (without conditions) as full and final settlement. However, if they offer to refund all charges after you've filed at court, you'll need to decide whether to accept it or continue in order to recoup the court fee! ;)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.