• Tweets

• The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
    • Doubt the uneconomic write off would be registered, unless you agreed to accept write off settlement of the claim. It is just cosmetic damage. All that has happened, is that the car has been looked at and they realised the repair costs are going to exceed the value of the car. If the car is perfectly driveable with no upcoming normal work required to pass next MOT, your current Insurers will continue Insurance and you can accept an amount from third party Insurers to go towards you repairing the scratched bodywork.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Sky Package (No Broadband)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am seeking the opinions on the following which was placed in another thread with regard to terminating a package contract with Sky.

Last weekend I went to try and sort out the Sky Broadband of a work coleague. He has had the installation since mid March and has spent over four hours on their support line.

They sent him another router but the problem remains. He has has an expert on the case from the local computor shop who concluded the same as me. "No Broadband comming down the BT line". My own checks with a known working modem confirmed the above.

I telephoned Sky Broadband on his behalf and went through the whole of their procedure again only to be told they would have to check the line which would take 48 hours. I asked if they would respond with the results of the line test which they agreed. Needless to say they have not responded and still no Broadband.

Also the installer has connected the coax from the dish to the house side coax of the Cable Companies box on the exterior wall to save having to run a new one through the house to the tv. To do this he had to break the seal on the box.

I am starting another thread seeking opinions on the position my friend is in and the best way forward to terminate the contract.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Hi dw190

I have also had major problems with sky after changing from virgin media to sky's "see, surf, speak" package. I had a broadband connection but no email. In total, I have spent 4 hours 30 mins on the phone to them at a cost of £30 in phonecalls and they still have no idea why there is no email connection. I found that, at best, their staff were incompetent and poorly trained and at worst, treat customers with contempt. It's like if you haven't got a bog standard question to ask they have no idea what to do.

I finally lost patience with them and have sent their router back with a letter of complaint which notifies them of my intention to cancel the contract. 3 weeks later and still no reply. The basis of my arguament is that if they cannot provide the service that they are charging me for then they are in breach of contract.

Fortunately I hadn't cancelled my contract with virgin media for broadband. As one ISP is via cable and the other via phoneline you don't need a MAC code to change. If they ignore my letter and still try to take the full amount via DD from my account I'll have to cancel the DD and maybe lose sky tv.

I also found that the router cut out quite often and the internet connection was lost. They may want to threaten court action but it's a chance I'm willing to take. I have also found a way to change your ISP via phoneline without a MAC code if your friend is interested. Good luck.

SoB

Hi dw190

I have also had major problems with sky after changing from virgin media to sky's "see, surf, speak" package. I had a broadband connection but no email. In total, I have spent 4 hours 30 mins on the phone to them at a cost of £30 in phonecalls and they still have no idea why there is no email connection. I found that, at best, their staff were incompetent and poorly trained and at worst, treat customers with contempt. It's like if you haven't got a bog standard question to ask they have no idea what to do.

I finally lost patience with them and have sent their router back with a letter of complaint which notifies them of my intention to cancel the contract. 3 weeks later and still no reply. The basis of my arguament is that if they cannot provide the service that they are charging me for then they are in breach of contract.

Fortunately I hadn't cancelled my contract with virgin media for broadband. As one ISP is via cable and the other via phoneline you don't need a MAC code to change. If they ignore my letter and still try to take the full amount via DD from my account I'll have to cancel the DD and maybe lose sky tv.

I also found that the router cut out quite often and the internet connection was lost. They may want to threaten court action but it's a chance I'm willing to take. I have also found a way to change your ISP via phoneline without a MAC code if your friend is interested. Good luck.

SoB

Thenks for your reply.

I have drafted him a letter which was sent "Special Delivery" quoting Breach of Contract and Terminating forthwith. I have told him to leave the DD for the moment as there is a payment due on Tuesday (the same day they should receive the letter).

I have also requested a refund of payments made and told them to collect all their equipment.

What I really want to know is what does these See, Speak & Surf packages fall in to. Individual contracts or all one contract.

Only the BB has failed but the way I see it is if one part of the contract fails, the whole contract is breached and can be terminated. It should have been up and running mid March.

Hi dw190

I'm no lawyer but I've always found, as a rule of thumb, that if setting up the service costs the supplier money then they insist on a minimum contract to recover their costs. With "see, surf, speak", sky's set-up costs will come with supplying the router for BB and the digibox for tv.

Although the 3 services are separate, sky advertise all 3 as a package for £26 per month. I would assume that if one service is inadequate then there is a breach of contract for the whole package. There are also other ISPs to choose from who also advertise packages so by forcing subscribers to sign a contract they are denying us the right to change to another ISP, if we find their service inadequate.

I reckon that once we sign up they think they've got us for a year and there's nothing we can do if they fail to provide the service advertised.

I decided to cancel my contract after being messed around for 4 hours 30 minutes of phonecalls. I was told that someone would call me back within 3 - 5 days to get my email working! Of course, no-one did. The only reason they could give for the problem was that my surname has an apostrophe, even though my user name amd email address hasn't. Absolutely clueless!

SoB

Hi dw190

I'm no lawyer but I've always found, as a rule of thumb, that if setting up the service costs the supplier money then they insist on a minimum contract to recover their costs. With "see, surf, speak", sky's set-up costs will come with supplying the router for BB and the digibox for tv.

Although the 3 services are separate, sky advertise all 3 as a package for £26 per month. I would assume that if one service is inadequate then there is a breach of contract for the whole package. There are also other ISPs to choose from who also advertise packages so by forcing subscribers to sign a contract they are denying us the right to change to another ISP, if we find their service inadequate.

I reckon that once we sign up they think they've got us for a year and there's nothing we can do if they fail to provide the service advertised.

I decided to cancel my contract after being messed around for 4 hours 30 minutes of phonecalls. I was told that someone would call me back within 3 - 5 days to get my email working! Of course, no-one did. The only reason they could give for the problem was that my surname has an apostrophe, even though my user name amd email address hasn't. Absolutely clueless!

SoB

That sounds about right.

I spoke to them last Sunday and it was left that they would check the line which would take 48 hours and call back with the results. (No call back).

When the engineer isnstalled the equipment for the tv he wired the dish into the exsisting cable box to save having to run a coax round the house, It will be interesting to see what Virgin have to say about their cable being tampered with.

Hi dw190

I wouldn't hold your breath that virgin media will do anything about the cable being tampered with by sky. They are only interested in taking your money.

In order to get the sky package I had to change my phoneline from virgin media to bt. I notified vm in january that this would happen in february.

In february I got a bill from vm so tried to call them but you have to hang on for ages and sky have sapped my patience with the broadband problem. Instead I sent them another letter which they also ignored. To cut a long story short they are apparantly taking me to court for 4 months line rental, late payment and non-dd fees totalling about £70 even though I've been with bt since 15 feb. Each time that I sent a letter (4) I enclosed copies of previous letters. The last was sent recorded delivery.

A woman phoned me a few days ago and said she would sort it out but yesterday I received a more threatening letter which mentioned debt collectors.

If I were elderly or infirm I might be terrified of this prospect and pay them. Luckily I am neither and will not be bullied.

My point being that I have found vm to be just as useless as sky. If vm take court action I might be seeking advice on CAG about counter suing the ass off them.

SoB

Not expecting Sky to give in easy. They have been sent a Notice to Terminate with Immediate effect due to Breach of Contract. This was sent Special Delivery (SD) Friday so should be received Tuesday.

A DD payment is due on Tuesday so as a precaution the DD mandate will not be cancelled until the SD confirmation has been obtained off the Royal Mail website.

As soon as statements are rceived, a demand for repayment of all charges less cost of calls will be sent, again by SD, followed by a letter before action. Then the local small claims court. I prefer the local as MCOL requires transfer if a defence is filed. (Its to easy to file an online defence and we don't want to make things easy for them).

I know them connecting to the cable box doesn't amount to much but if we decide to go cable BB it will mean retrieving the internal cable connection thus disabling sky box.

I anticipate a refund by the end of June or having a hearing date in the diary.

Wow dw190

You certainly know your stuff. I just sent their box back with a letter telling them they were in breach of contract and where they can stick it.

Like yourself, I'm waiting to see how much is taken from my bank account via dd and will decide on what action is then appropriate. I instructed them only to take for sky tv.

Over the years I've had my fill of customer dis-service from these big companies and I now feel that enough is enough. Good luck with sky.

SoB

Wow dw190

You certainly know your stuff. I just sent their box back with a letter telling them they were in breach of contract and where they can stick it.

Like yourself, I'm waiting to see how much is taken from my bank account via dd and will decide on what action is then appropriate. I instructed them only to take for sky tv.

Over the years I've had my fill of customer dis-service from these big companies and I now feel that enough is enough. Good luck with sky.

SoB

I wont be sending their box back, they can collect it or send me a prepaid packet and my charges to them for taking it to the PO.

Carefull here. I would read closely your terms and conditions. No email but broadband is not a reason for cancelling. If you still have email issues then you need to ring tech support. The new dedicated password team for email is uk based. Have you filled out your profile on sky.com and submitted it. Have you used the password help link on sky.com and was a security question there?. If not again let tech support know.

Second query, is a green dsl light on the router. Are you in the master socket?. Are you using any extension cables. You should not be testing with a modem but a router, only use the netgear router. The line test can be done straight away (while you are on the phone to tech support) and have you performed a sky test on the router settings page and what error code was received?. Finally if you get through to a different call centre that may have a language barrier - raise this issue and ask to be transferred to the U.K.

As for using the Virgin box - its not their cable or equipment if you cancelled - its yours.

Actually, Virgin Media (or NTL / Telewest as was) boxes are always their property unlike Sky boxes. If you cancel Virgin Media then they will collect the box. People on Virgin may think that not actually owning the box isn't a good thing but in actual fact the opposite is true. If your Sky box breaks outside its 12 month warranty period then you have to fork out for repair or replacement or alternatively pay circa £5pm for insurance. As the Virgin Media box belongs to Virgin they have to repair or replace the box at no cost to the consumer. I know which I would prefer!

1. Where we hire equipment to you it will be our property at all times and we may need to alter or replace it from time to time. For us to do this, we will need reasonable access to your home.
  2. You are responsible for making sure that our equipment is safe and used properly at all times. To do this, you agree to do the following:
  3. Follow the manufacturer's instructions and any other instructions we have given you;
  4. Keep the equipment under your control (for example, you may not sell it, lend it or hire it out to anyone else, put it up as security for a loan or mortgage, or allow it to be seized under any legal process against you). You must not move our equipment from your home without our permission;
  5. Insure any of our equipment against any loss, theft or damage for the full replacement value;
  6. Not remove, tamper with or cross out any words or labels on our equipment;
  7. Take proper care at all times to prevent the loss or theft of our equipment.
  8. You agree to tell us immediately about any loss or damage to any part of our equipment. You should do this by phoning, emailing or writing to our Customer Care team. You agree that you are responsible for any loss of or damage to the equipment, regardless of how it happens. We will charge you for any loss of or damage to the equipment.

Yes your right on that point but that then moves onto other issues as the terms and conditions clearly state for virgin that you agree to keep the equipment under your control. Also that you are responsible for loss or damage regardless of how it happened. That could be tricky to prove that the sky engineer did it without your knowledge or consent. Im just playing devils advocate here and also trying to help with the email issue and non connection.

Carefull here. I would read closely your terms and conditions. No email but broadband is not a reason for cancelling. If you still have email issues then you need to ring tech support. The new dedicated password team for email is uk based. Have you filled out your profile on sky.com and submitted it. Have you used the password help link on sky.com and was a security question there?. If not again let tech support know.

Second query, is a green dsl light on the router. Are you in the master socket?. Are you using any extension cables. You should not be testing with a modem but a router, only use the netgear router. The line test can be done straight away (while you are on the phone to tech support) and have you performed a sky test on the router settings page and what error code was received?. Finally if you get through to a different call centre that may have a language barrier - raise this issue and ask to be transferred to the U.K.

All these tests have been completed. There is no DSL light on the provided Netgear router. Tech Support have been made aware of exactly whats happening and the last word from them was that they would have to test the line and it would take 48 hours. I requested a call back from them with their findings to which they agreed. No one called back.

The testing procedure has been completed four times right through to plugging the router into the inside socket of the BT Master Box. Still "No" DSL light. They even sent a new router, just the same.

On all occasions they have said they would test the BT line but have never been back in touch.

As for using the Virgin box - its not their cable or equipment if you cancelled - its yours.

I think your missunderstanding the point here.

Virgin/NTL do not sell any of their equipment or cabling. The Sky installer has removed the seal of the Cable Connection box on the exterior wall, uncoupled the connection and coupled up the coax from the Sky Dish.

I would have thought that any interference with property (cabling) belonging to Virgin/NTL was a NO NO.

I sent an email to Sky to the email address in their online T&Cs. Got an auto response with a link to the Sky Website advising to use the Contact Us on there. Only allows 500 characters and does not keep a receipt like ordinary emailing.

Anyhow the DD has now been cancelled. I'll bet a Case of Champers to a Bottle of Guinness that they make contact now.

Let Battle Commence.

I too would suspect that the installer is going to be in very hot water over this dw190! However, I don't know how much Sky can be held accountable as I would imagine that the installers are their own seperate entity. I'm sure Murdoch will have plenty of get-out clauses! :(

I too would suspect that the installer is going to be in very hot water over this dw190! However, I don't know how much Sky can be held accountable as I would imagine that the installers are their own seperate entity. I'm sure Murdoch will have plenty of get-out clauses! :(

Sky are wholly responsible for the actions of their employees and agents.

Well if that is the case reel 'em in! :) It defies belief that an installer would use another networks fittings / connections. I know BT are very strict on stuff like that and I doubt Virgin Media (NTL whatever) would be any less so.

BU as i posted

Keep the equipment under your control

Insure any of our equipment against any loss, theft or damage for the full replacement value

Thats directly from virgins terms and conditions. You would need to prove that the sky engineer did it without your consent surely. After all its under your control.

dw190 can you go into router settings page do a sky test and let me know the error code. I bet its 100. Can you also make sure you are not double filtered. Have you been escalated to tier 2 or 3. Do you know the distance from the exchange?. Sam knows will let you find this out

The Broadband Resource

Just to add to the virgin box - was the sign off chit actually signed to say that the homeowner was happy with the install and it was carried out to their requirments.

dw190 can you go into router settings page do a sky test and let me know the error code. I bet its 100. Can you also make sure you are not double filtered. Have you been escalated to tier 2 or 3. Do you know the distance from the exchange?. Sam knows will let you find this out

The Broadband Resource

Just to add to the virgin box - was the sign off chit actually signed to say that the homeowner was happy with the install and it was carried out to their requirments.

We did all the tests while on the phone to Tech Support. Even as far as removong the cover from the BT master soclet and plugging direct into that. The DSL light has never even blinked let alone change coulors. Its now back in the box waiting for them. If they dont make a move its down to the local CC. (after the pre requsite LBA)

Hi RNSM

I appreciate your comments about broadband but no email. My theory behind the actions I have taken is that Sky advertise a service and pledge to provide that service for a fee. As a consumer I may want to window-shop and compare services and fees for all ISPs before making a choice. Sky's T&Cs may well state that I have to stay with them for a year but if they cannot provide the service that I'm paying for then their contract isn't worth the paper it's written on. How would you feel about being trapped in a contract with an ISP and not having email for a year? How many minutes of phonecalls would you say constitute a reasonable amount of time for the tech dept to fix the problem? More than 4.5 hours? And the call charges aren't free, it's cost me £30 to date.

If I'd known how useless they were I would never have chosen Sky as my ISP. And so by falsely advertising their service and insisting I sign up for a year Sky are denying me the right to have a broadband and email service that works. And they would probably like me to carry on paying for this non-service. This is only MY opinion on these events. I'd love to see them take legal proceedings against me so that I can broadcast their crap service on a bigger stage rather than just ranting to the missus . . . oh, and to you guys.

SoB

Well, Virgin are installing Broadband and phone services next Friday. Their package has changed and now includes free calls to 01 & 02 numbers 24/7 on the 2 for £20.00 package. This of course includes line rental.

One interesting thing is that the installation will only be completed when the installer has both services up and running. Inslalling the hardware and software is done by them.

Looking forward to ripping Sky apart on their contract.