A bit different

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6197 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work at Currys and basically just want to get your opinions on an issue that happened today.

A Man came in today to buy an LCD TV. he selected the TV he wanted and called me over and asked me the best price on it. I asked him if he had seen it cheaper he said no, I explained that as the TV had £200 off and it wasn't anywhere any cheaper I wasn't going to do anything off it. He proceded to frog march me to the manager who explained the same thing. He then called me a c**t and the manager a tight k**b and made what I'm sure was a racist remark under his breath.

Anyway as he was going to buy, I mentioned the insurance, now I don't pressure sell or anything if someone doesn't want it then fair enough and you can tell that by my sales of it, but the guy flipped, he called me a p**ck several times and caused so much fuss he caught the attention of the manager.

So it goes through and we wheel out his TV and low and behold he can't fit it in his 2 door car. So we explain we can get a local courier to deliver it but there is a price because its not our company who do the delivery. He swears at us again and says he'll get a mate with a bigger car.

About 10 minutes later he comes back in, it seems he hasn't got a mate to come, has taken the TV out of its box and tried to put it into his car himself, dropping it in the process and cracking the outer shell and the screen. He was expecting a replacement and we refused point blank, claiming it was accidental damage and for him to get in contact with his insurer.

He then claims he has no home insurance and attempts to take out the insurance, to which again we say we can't do. He then takes a swipe at my colleague (missing) says he's going to 'do us in' and leaves loading his TV and leaving the box in the car park.

Now what I need to know is even though our policy states he isn't, does this gentleman have any claim to a free repair or a replacement?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay

I would say, most definitely NOT.

I class it as equipment abuse. Possibly a claim for accidental damage through insurance...... but he doesn't have insurance, does he.

What goes around, comes around. Serves him right. If he had treated peoople with more consideration and respect then he might not have had a problem.

IMHO.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Firstly dosent currys have a policy to protect their staff from abuse from members of the public, it strikes me as odd why you or anyone else in the shop would put up with this nonsence sale or no sale he should have been shown the door/police informed.

On the issue regarding the TV he refused (politely) delivery and continued to collect himself, when the goods leave the premises as per customer you cant be held responsible for any damage caused by his actions.

To put it in another way.

If he bought a car from a showroom and drove out the showroom hitting another car should he be given another one?

Personally i would suggest calling the police because by the sounds of it he may return and then the police will ask WHY you didnt call them before.

Don't apologise for the essay, it gave me a good laugh 1st thing in the morning! :-D Karma is a bummer, isn't it. :-D

It might be too late for you to do this, but I would have suggested taking pictures of where the box was left, and maybe checked for bits of the cracked casing, if any, where he dropped it, and taken pictures of that too. Also both your manager and yourself, and anyone else (the near hit guy) should write a report with dates and approximate times, separately from one another, and keep all that together. Should the guy then try to take it higher or go to court, you have more than a "he said, I said" case. Do it while it's fresh in your memories, and keep it all with copies of the receipt etc, just in case.

I cannot believe that someone would act that way (well, I can actually). What a nasty piece of work that person is. Some people really do need to remove themselves from the gene pool. The fault is his entirely. It is down to him to ensure that the goods are suitable for his needs.

One thing I would do, as a precautionary measure, is to contact the police. No-one should have to put up with behaviour like that, and it wouldn't suprise me if this guy tried to make a claim in some way. Having a police report will go a long way to dismiss the case at an early stage.

The only possible way taht this guy would have a claim against you is if he asked something of you, and reasonable acts on the response. I doubt very much this is the case.

Get it documented and reported and think no more of it.

Bobus-man - congrats, this guy sounds like a grade A prat and got everything he deserved. I just hope none of you or your collegues get any grief over it. But def do stand your ground and refuse any sort of refund/replacement etc.

Forgot to mention it but we fed it to security internally who said they would look into it.

We also passed all the customer's information to the police who although can't do anything at present have got the incident on file. And also passed the customer's name, address and description to stores around the area.

We didn't get any photographic evidence but apparently we have CCTV of the gentleman taking the TV out of the box in the foyer and also clear shots of him at customer services. Statements have been taken from all involved.

Anyhow he wasn't back in today either to collect his box or to 'do us in' so I can only assume that him and his smashed Philips TV are very happy together.

Why can't something interesting come over to my store. (Apart from the near miss, had someone just miss me with a nintendo DS he wanted replacing, shown door and withdrew offer of repair due to accidental damage :D)

If this happened to me he would have been shown the door after a few ranting and raving. Afaik, as he had accepted the goods, and it had left your possession, he has just lost alot of money, with not a leg to stand on to get it back.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.