• Tweets

• They have defended the claim by saying that the job was of unsatisfactory standard and they had to call another carpenter to remedy. My husband has text messages about them losing the keys a second time and also an email. What do they hope to achieve??? Most importantly,  as far as I have seen online, now I need to wait for paperwork from the court, correct?
    • The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the xx/xx/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the xx/xx/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, xx/xx/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Martynh99 vs NatWest

martynh99
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6156 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I opened an account with Natwest around 1987 and closed it around 1994. During this time I will have had a lot of charges - how do I go about getting statements / charge info this far back.

I've seen many threads mentioning £10 SAR and a £5 statement request - could I get all the statements between 1987 & 1994 for a single payment of £5 or would it be £5 per statement i.e 12 statements per year, 7 years = 84 statements at £5 a pop = £420 ?

Also had a NatWest Access card during this time, ran up charges on that too - will I also be able to get these details too via NatWest ?

From memory, probably talking into £k's of charges.

Hi Martin.

You can try, but it is almost certain that the bank will turn round and say that they no longer have information going back that far.

If they say that, we have no way of proving the issue, one way or the other.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Thanks for the replies so far.

Whilst checking through my YB statements, I found a single old NatWest statement from 1996 - seems the account was open longer than I thought.

It looks like I must have incurred some charges the previous month which when they added them on (£96.05) it made be overdrawn to the tune of £164.36

Not sure what happened but I obviously didn't clear the o/d amount so they added another £108.77 in charges over the next month.

The £96.05 was made up of

£9 exceess borrowing fee

24 excess days at £3.50 day = £84

Interest of £3.05

The £108.77 the next month was

Interest £1.77

Excess borrowing fee £9

28 Excess days at £3.50 day = £98

I rang Card services - they couldn't find any record of the access card.

I then rang the branch, the lady was very helpful and could see I was still a customer but with no accounts showing at all.

She said the computer only went back to 2002 so I guess it's just the £108.77 & the £96.05 I can claim back.

Question I have is if they can't find details of my accounts on the computer - how can they verify that what I claim they charged me is real ?

The bank account was opened in 1987 and was definitely still open in 1996 as I have the one statement.

SAR sent today rec del - hopefuly get statements & charges from 1992 onwards at least.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for a bit of guidance here. I've received what can only be classed as a standard letter from NatWest. Bear in mind I sent the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) on the 2nd May, the letter that came back is simply dated March 2007, it goes

I write to you with regards to your enclosed correspondence requesting a complete list of transactions and charges applied to your account under the Data Protection Act 1998.

I would like to advise you that our Group Records Management Policy allows for the retention of 6 years of personal data to be held. This is in line with the Data Protection Act Guidlines. We do not store data beyond this period. As you account was closed more that 6 years ago, we are unable to help you in this instance.

Please find enclosed your original letter and £10 cheque.

If you have any queries relating to this matter please do not hesitate to contact me at the above address.

Yours sincerely,

Lorraine Cassidy

Retail Regulatory Risk

Also they didn't include my original letter or the £10 cheque.

My Sar was worded as below

Please supply me with a complete list of charges relating to my banking history with your organisation.

Additionally, where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff, or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you.

If you are unable to supply this data because there has been no such manual intervention, then please be so kind as to confirm this in your response.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply. Furthermore, if I discover that you have levied disproportionate penalties against me, then I shall be reclaiming them, and also reclaiming the enclosed £10 Data Protection Act subject access request fee.

If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.

Would really appreciate NATTIE view on this. My branch still has a 'live' file on me but with no active accounts.

martynh99, This will help you obtain old statements.http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/28533-how-find-account-number.html. Good luck.

• Haha 1

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

Thanks for that Parkvale, I had looked at that post a few weeks ago but I see it was updated 6th May - although the actual 'sticky' post still shows the original date hence me not re-reading it.

Might send them a letter telling them what keys to press, should be good for a laugh :D and :confused: them slightly.

Their confused enough already.

A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

Good things come to he who waits

Its your money taken unlawfully from your account and you have a legal right to claim it back.

As I type this I am struggling not to swear. I really do not see how this organisation manages to retain customers....

I called 0800 0154212 option 1, 1 - The staff here were so rude. They told me that I can only have 6 years and that is the final answer, I can write to who ever i want but the answer will always be 6 years. I asked to be put through to Retail Regulatory Risk , he said he didn't know who they were and refused to try and find a number for them.

I then explained about the missing £10 cheque in the letter and he told me to ring my branch and stop it. Told him different bank and they'll charge me - he said tell them it's lost !!!!!!

The guy was downright rude - his manager will be getting a letter from me today.

I then went through to the same number but took option 2 general enquiries this time. Gave them details of Regulatory Risk and they put me through to South West CSC who were overly helpful, spent 10 minutes searching for number(even gave me my customer ID number) then put me through to RRR dept in Edinburgh. I now have 2 numbers for them, 0131 626 1106 & 0131 523 4516

Spoke to them, they have no record of my letter arriving despite me having a letter in return. Told me I had to write back in and send £5 - I queried the £5 and was told it was correct and not £10.

Told them they have acknowledged my letter and said they have returned it with their letter and my £10 cheque - if it's not in their office and wasn't in the return letter then where the hell is it - Data Protection Act Breach. A manager is supposed to be ringing me back in 30 minutes.

Well the callback never materialised so I called them up again today and got a supervisor.

Was told that Lorraine has been off work for months so she didn't send letter, explained there was no reference on letter and it predates me writing to them so it's a bog standard letter.

Basically they don't have an entry on their spreadsheet for receipt or processing of my letter but they'll look for it :o

On the charges, as my account was closed around 1999, they claim they only will have the last 6 years from now (despite me still having a client file open with them).

She said the archive system will not have any of my details on it but she'll check but as it's an archive system, it'll take until tomorrow to get the detail :eek::???:

Anyway - we'll see.........

Cheque arrived back with another letter (same as first one but they've edit the date of the letter to be may 2007 this time).

Also handwritten is the date the account was closed and my letter is also returned with a date received of 8th May.

Rang them up again - supervisor in a meeting, blah blah blah - send us another letter and cheque and we'll look into it.

They did say though that bank policy is only to send 6 years data. Mentioned Data Protection Act etc to them and they did say they can sometimes get back as far as 1995 but only in some cases !

Anyway, supervisor should be calling me back within hour.

Update :

Supervisor didn't call me back but somebody did(not putting names in here) and advised they will be sending statements from 92 - closure of acct in 96 by Special Delivery in next 10 days. As they said they didn't have any information, I can only assume they must have Dustin Hoffman working for them(rainman) so watch this space....

• 2 weeks later...

Called them up yesterday as still not received anything - they said they'd check and get back to me - they didn't.

Called them again today - they claim to have chased it up but had nothing back from service center yet.

Can't say when they'll get them out to me, advised them 40 days Data Protection Act time limit is now up - if I don't receive them tomorrow I will report to the IC

You've got to keep at them. Don't give up

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability.

Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site

Statements arrived Friday - only Dec 94 - Apr 96(when it was closed).

I really was hoping for more than that - can anyone shed any light on why I might only have got from Dec 94 when my account was opened in 1987 ?

Also a little confused as to what I can claim.

Each month there is an 'account charge' of £9 and at the bottom of the statement the text 'Your interest rate for borrowing up to £200 on this acct is 17.5%PA this is the credit zone rate. Should your overdraft exceed this level the excess will be charged at our unarranged borrowing rate, currently 29.5%PA'

Does this mean I as an Advantage Gold customer ? It sounds like I had an account with a monthly fee to me, can I claim this fee back ?

In my SAR I asked for all details of all accounts, they haven't sent me anything on my credit card I had at the same time and looking at these bank statements, I had a loan with them that I don't even remember - they haven't sent these either.

Martyn

They may not actually have statements going back any further. Nattie's stickie indicates that they do hold records back to 92 and possibly longer - maybe you should phone and ask why.

You can't claim back AG fees and they were £9/month for a long while (they arte £12 now)

Steven

• Haha 1

thanks for that steven . I don't ever recall having an AG account, the statements just show current account - was AG the only account that had the credit zone facility and charged £9 month ?

The charges mentioned in my OP were refunded when the account was closed in Apr 96, I didn't have that statement when I started this thread.

I suspect that they've not sent the older statements as that's when the big charges will have been on, i'd started getting the account in order by 94 - a call to NW is pending....

You might be best ringing customer services and asking them what the charges are. Otherwise we are just guessing

Steven