MBK vs Abbey.£2k OD..but I am shaking with fear!!

MBK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am thinking of taking on Abbey but I need some advice before I take the plunge.

I foolishly have an 2k overdraft with Abbey and I am currently £300 over my agreed limit because of bank charges. I am not working at the moment and so I haven't had a salary paid into this particular account. Having spoken to Abbey in the past few wks, I know I will be getting their standard letter to pay up or send back card etc.

My question is if I start reclaiming the banks charges which I know will more than clear my overdraft, (with plenty of change leftover) will they demand I pay up now? This is not something I can afford to do right now and this is the only reason why I am hesitating.

Any advice please?

This is only my opinon, other people might have other advice, but...

If I were you I'd take control, (believe me it feels good when you do!)

First open a parachute account and get any payments paid into that, then contact Abbey and arrange to make regular, affordable payments to pay off the excess over the agreed overdraft amount (they'll probably stop you using the account until the excess is paid off anyway).

And start your claim, you won't be any worse off than you are now!

Good Luck ~ whatever you decide to do!

I agree with Knelly, If you dont start the ball rolling, you'll incurr more charges and interest on the charges.

I'm sure they'll stop pestering you if you call them and make arrangements but you must be willing to stick to the agreed amount.

I would send back the chq book and card, why leave temptation around, anyway you said your money goes elsewhere.

Then if they hassle you and you've commenced your claim you can tell them your account is in dispute, you've issued a claim against them, either they stop calling you or you'll inform the court.

• Haha 1

ok - will def get the ball rolling. I already have an account elsewhere. My biggest fear is that Abbey will suddenly ask me to cough up 2k!!!

When this is over, I swear never again to get an overdraft!!!

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

Out of interest, has anyone had their Abbey account closed after claiming bank charges???

Hi

Im in the same boat as you ,overdraft and no job, as yet, so no money going in ,just out.

That is my fear also that they will contact me to repay o/draft before I get some money coming in again.

Regarding your claim, GO FOR IT. I am and it has made me feel really good knowin that im doing something about it. Its your money and if it wasnt for them taking extortionate amounts you wouldnt be in this predicament now , would you.

Bite the bullet and do it Youll get loads of help on here if you get any problems or have any questions. No body goes it alone and youll feel great when you win back that lovely loot.

regards

30-12-2006--Requested statements from Local Halifax.

02-02-2007--Statements Recieved.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

20-04-2007--Reply , Thanks , give us 8wks letter.

02-0502007--Sent L.B.A. & Schedule of Charges

11-05-2007--Recieved reply ,still investigating.

17-05-2007--Sent Amended L.B.A. for Contractual Interest this time.

14-06-2007--Received standard Bog Off letter.

13-06-2007--Took N1 to Local Courts.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

Have till 09-07-2007 to file Defence.

05-07-2007--Note that Acknowledgment of Service been Filed on 29-06-2007.

Have 28 days from date of Service to File Defence.

07-07-2007--Offer from Halifax.

09-07-2007--Rejection letter sent to Halifax. Next day delivery.

10-07-2007--Money put in Account:mad:

Hi

Im in the same boat as you ,overdraft and no job, as yet, so no money going in ,just out.

That is my fear also that they will contact me to repay o/draft before I get some money coming in again.

Regarding your claim, GO FOR IT. I am and it has made me feel really good knowin that im doing something about it. Its your money and if it wasnt for them taking extortionate amounts you wouldnt be in this predicament now , would you.

Bite the bullet and do it Youll get loads of help on here if you get any problems or have any questions. No body goes it alone and youll feel great when you win back that lovely loot.

regards

Hi Overflow

Thanks for posting!! I wasn't sure there was anyone out there in the same situation as me! You are so right when you say the support here is amazing!! How far have you gone with your claim? Have Abbey closed your account or asked you to return your cards and chq book? I don't actually want to return my card although I am not bothered about the chq bk as I have never used it. I think I have to come to same agreement with Abbey, ie pay off the overdraft bit by bit, then send in an SAR.

Pls keep an eye on this thread - I might be sending an SOS!!!!!

hi MB

Ive already sent in the SAR to shabby the time is up on Tuesday so then ill be sending the LBA.

Dont know if youve read my thread or not but if you have youll see i made a bit of a c**k up. I originally sent SAR in Dec but heard nothin back so sent another one in March only I did it recorded delivery this time. Anyway to cut a long story short I could have put this claim in back in Feb as that is when they sent me out some statements. I had it in my head that I had had the account for longer than I had apparently, so feel a bit of an idiot but never mind better late than never eh. See ive got 2 accounts one with shabby and one with halifax so was gettin mixed up.

Tonight Im going to write the LBA to them and then wait for them to do something. They havent requested my cheque book back yet or threatened to close the account but like you I hope they dont as Ive still got o/d with them which I am trying my best not to use but as Im not working ,well needs must sometimes.

Anyway good luck with your claim and if you need any help just yell on here and if I cant help there are lots of people that will.

the thing that is really buggin me is trying to sort out this interest lark . Never been too good with figures but Ill have a go .

Keep me posted how your getting along.

regards

over:)

30-12-2006--Requested statements from Local Halifax.

02-02-2007--Statements Recieved.

18-04-2007--Prelim sent.

20-04-2007--Reply , Thanks , give us 8wks letter.

02-0502007--Sent L.B.A. & Schedule of Charges

11-05-2007--Recieved reply ,still investigating.

17-05-2007--Sent Amended L.B.A. for Contractual Interest this time.

14-06-2007--Received standard Bog Off letter.

13-06-2007--Took N1 to Local Courts.

26-06-2007--Copy of N1 from Court, issued 21-06-2007. to Halifax, Deemed Served 25-06-2007

Have till 09-07-2007 to file Defence.

05-07-2007--Note that Acknowledgment of Service been Filed on 29-06-2007.

Have 28 days from date of Service to File Defence.

07-07-2007--Offer from Halifax.

09-07-2007--Rejection letter sent to Halifax. Next day delivery.

10-07-2007--Money put in Account:mad:

• 1 year later...

Hello

I'm hoping for some advice.

I was with Abbey for well over 15 years until 2 years ago. I got into difficulties with paying off my overdraft, not earning enough, bank charges etc etc.

Abbey passed my account to Debt Management & Recovery Services (I now know they are part of Abbey) and agreed to pay £80 per month. I foolishly defaulted on that agreement as I wasn't working full time. I am currently close to £2500 overdrawn and I am sure charges are still being applied. For the record I opened another account as I had a feeling Abbey would close my account - which they did!!

Debt Management used to chase me by letter but for atleast 6 months now I have not heard from them. I am looking to reclaim bank charges as well as negotiating with Debt Management pay off my debt.

Bearing in mind I have not been chased for 6mnths and that banks don't appear to be paying out....is it wise to try and reclaim charges? Will Debt Management suddenly start chasing me again?

Any advice will be appreciated.

MBK

They have to respond to the SAR within 40 days...if they don't you send them a reminder (recorded del) again) if they don't respond within 2 weeks of the reminder....a complaint to the ICO...

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/subject_access_-_guide_for_data_subjects.pdf

This is a good place to calculate the excessive charges here....for example a £35 charge on 1st January 2004 is now worth £48.23 to you !!

Bank Charges: Reclaim them, they’re unlawful, inc. free template letters ...

They have to respond to the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) within 40 days...if they don't you send them a reminder (recorded del) again) if they don't respond within 2 weeks of the reminder....a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office...

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/subject_access_-_guide_for_data_subjects.pdf

This is a good place to calculate the excessive charges here....for example a £35 charge on 1st January 2004 is now worth £48.23 to you !!

Bank Charges: Reclaim them, they’re unlawful, inc. free template letters ...

Thank you again......clicked on your scales earlier!!

Hello

Just about to send off an SAR to Abbey but I have a few questions.

1) Can someone pls confirm the correct address for Abbey:confused:? Will be sending a SAR plus the applicable fee sometime this week.

2) Having been with Abbey for many many years, I reckon the overdraft will be well and truly covered by the bank charges applied to my account. Abbey passed my account to a DCA, who passed it back to Abbey after I ignored all their threatening letters :p. Am I right in saying I do send off the SAR to Abbey and forget about the DCA?

3) I had an ordinary account with Abbey for many years, then had it upgraded in 1997 to a current account. I am only claiming for the past 6 years. But my question is can I decide which 6 years to claim or do I start counting backwards from Sept 08 to Sept 02? I just wish I could claim from 97 to the present date :roll::roll:

Thanking you all in advance!

Hello

Just about to send off an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to Abbey but I have a few questions.

1) Can someone pls confirm the correct address for Abbey:confused:? Will be sending a SAR plus the applicable fee sometime this week.

2) Having been with Abbey for many many years, I reckon the overdraft will be well and truly covered by the bank charges applied to my account. Abbey passed my account to a DCA, who passed it back to Abbey after I ignored all their threatening letters :p. Am I right in saying I do send off the SAR to Abbey and forget about the DCA?

3) I had an ordinary account with Abbey for many years, then had it upgraded in 1997 to a current account. I am only claiming for the past 6 years. But my question is can I decide which 6 years to claim or do I start counting backwards from Sept 08 to Sept 02? I just wish I could claim from 97 to the present date :roll::roll:

Can anyone please help with the above questions?:(

Hello

Just about to send off an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to Abbey but I have a few questions.

Data Protection Manager

Data Protection Team

Regulatory Compliance

Abbey House

201 Graftons Gate East

Milton Keynes

MK9 1AN

Jackie Scott 01908 344061

Fax 01908 344558

If the DCA have passed the account back to Abbey - send the SAR to Abbey .........

Unfortunately you can't pick and choose which 6 years - I think it has to be Sept 02- 08......... some people have tried to back beyond the 6-year point ,but not many have had success I don't think , although I'm happy to be contradicted on this..... but best to go for what you know you can claim for first.

Hope this helps - the quicker you get this off the ground and heading for court the better - stick to the timetable and don't let them waffle you off course.

Best of luck :)

• Haha 1

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Hope this helps - the quicker you get this off the ground and heading for court the better - stick to the timetable and don't let them waffle you off course.

Best of luck :)

Thanks JM:p

Will fire of the letter tomorrow! Will keep this thread updated.8)

Will keep this thread updated

Please do - don't forget to send any correspondence by 'recorded delivery' - so someone has to sign for it ..... :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Way to go, MBK ! :D and thanks for the tip :)

Nemo me impune lacessit