• Tweets

• lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
    • Evening all,   So today, I was sent an updated offer that includes the £12.60 I spent on letters, but they have declined to add the interest at £7.40. They have stating 'We acknowledge your request to claim interest to date, however, this would be at the discretion of a trial judge if the claim did proceed to a trial hearing.' I think I am content with this outcome, and pushing this to a trial for a total interest of £15.30 throughout the claim does not make sense to me.   What are people's thoughts? I am sure our courts have better things to concentrate on?
    • FFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdfFFRSG3424ListofEvidencepdf-V1 2-merged.pdf 2pages T&C,s UCM
    • Have to attend the hearing and present evidence of his financial position (income & expenditure) and  statements ,and agree an acceptable payment plan with the judges guidance.  It will be a form of redetermination hearing as already stated.The court will not agree to bailiffs if the financials do not reflect it or assetts are minimal. They just want to determine his true affordable disposable monthly figure....which will not be £10.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Dizzy v Abbey.

dizzy delilah
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On advice from Robdblynd (thankyou! :-) ), I have started this thread about some advice I was given today.I originally started my rant on Alex v Abbey thread, who seems to have recently been sent the same spreadsheet. This morning I received a Charges Summary spreadsheet from the Abbey showing dates from January 2004-January 2006, in response to my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) which they received on 3/4/07. The accompanying letter said that the most recent 14 months statements will be with me in the next 5-7 days, and information prior to 2004 will be sent asap. Well, after looking at the summary I was a bit concerned . Firstly, I only have their say-so that the summary is accurate - there are no duplicate statements to compare it with. (It only shows around £462 of charges over 2 years, so it does seem a bit odd). Secondly, it only tells you what month the charges were made - no exact dates. Now, to me this does not seem to be the comprehensive list of all transaction charges that I originally requested (and paid £10 for!!:mad: )When I rang The not-so-helpful lady at the Information Commissioners Office she said that they do not regulate the format in which the information is supplied by the banks :eek: . She also said that they had received many complaints about this, and also from people who had recieved 6 years statements, but no consise list of charges. Her advice was to send off another £10 , and specifically request copies of all statements in addition to a list showing the exact dates of charges over the last six years. Isn't this what the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) was for :confused: ?

Would appreciate you thoughts please..........Dizzy :-)

Hi Dizzy,

I can't advise you as I am at a similar stage (as you know) and just as confused. Did they not refund your original £10? mine was credited to my account about 5 days after receiving the spreadsheet. I'm a bit peeved to have to start again - particularly given that my 40 days were up last week. Did you read the quote on my thread that if they refund the charge or sent back the cheque they can argue the SAR is not valid - how pants is that if its true! we could be doing this for years. I totted up my charges for the period I 'allegedly' had no unauthorised overdraft fees for and guess what - £960:eek: with more than half being for cleared transactions. Now if they cleared transactions (9 in one month alone) then surely my account was sent into unauthorised overdraft... how nice of them not to charge me the fee!

Oh what a todo:???:

Dizzy,

How did you word your SAR? If it was straight off the template in the library then it is now very open-ended, and just asks for "all information held on this account". If you're SAR was this open, then this can't be acceptable, so I would give them their 40 days, and shase them up according to the templates on here.

If you've just asked them for a list of charges applied to your account then that's a different business altogether

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

I'd actually used the Martin Lewis template (and found this site a week or so later). It reads: 'We are writing to request a fully comprehensive list of all the default charges for direct debit, unauthorised overdrafts and standing orders that we have paid over the last six years.'

Oh poo - is this not good enough then? Surely 'comprehensive' would mean complete and accurate? There are only two things I need to know from them really - and both relate to the spreadsheet. The first is that I need exact dates that the cleared transaction charges were made, AND if I had incurred over £300 in charges for these, why do I have a 'nil charges balance' for unauthorised overdrafts in the same period?

Oh god, the thought of having to start again makes me feel sick....

(and no, Ellie - I did not get a refund :mad: although their letter acknowledged my payment of £10!)

Dear Dizzy,

I used the Martin Lewis template and received the last 14 months statements within a couple of days and then the remainder as photocopies of the microfishe records with no problem or hassal, so I dont think it's the letter. Reading through this site though many people are having lots of different problems and I think it's all about where you send your letters in the first place and who opens them. I get the feeling that there is no set way for the banks to deal with this and if you get a person on the wrong day then it can be much more difficult. I would also expect them to monitor sites such as this to determine what's getting all of our knickers in a twist and make it worse in an eternal bid to hold onto our cash!

I am not an expert in this but I would send another letter detailing exactly what you want (again) and letting them know that they cannot withold the information requested and that they have acknowledged the receipt of your cheque.

Good luck x

MooBoo

Abbey National: Successfully received statements and microfishe copies of statements with no trouble and within time limit.

Abbey National: £3904.06 Claim begun, 1st claim letter sent.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dizzy,

Wondered if you had had any word since your non-compliance letter? Mines been gone about 2 weeks now and not a peep since. I've now moved to my parachute account so expect them to get a bit nasty about the overdraft (particlularly as i've had almost £200 charges since sending original SAR meaning that I'm now in unathorised OD!). Laptop conked last week and I've had to resotre factory settings so have lost everything. i do have some hard copies (not everything - grrr, I am so dim - was always GOING to back up on disc but never did...!) I will have to redo Abbey spreadsheets as I didn't have copies since they were incomplete, hey ho!

More on my thread if you want additional tales of woe.....

Ellie x

Dear Dizzy,

I used the Martin Lewis template and received the last 14 months statements within a couple of days and then the remainder as photocopies of the microfishe records with no problem or hassal, so I dont think it's the letter.

I also used the Martin Lewis templates and got the same as mooboo , i got the statements after around 7 days and the rest followed a few days later. Sounds like they are just trying to make things difficult before you really get started, but keep with it.

Abbey - Claiming £4,044.82:lol: offered £4,170 - accepted:) :) :) :)

Mint - Claiming £769.71:lol: offered £217 - declined

NatWest - Claiming £272

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, Haven't had much time in the last couple of weeks so have loads of reading to catch up on! No, Ellie I haven't received anything back or heard anything either - but Abbey (bless them :-x ) have very kindly taken £160 off me in charges in the meantime, so I also have to amend my spreadsheets! Have to sort out my other bank account today - need to ask the new bank for an overdraft in order to be able to switch account over. I should have done it at the time I opened it really, but just never got round to it.

Bad news about computer - look at it this way though.

1. You would have had to fiddle around with the spreadsheet in order to add the newest charges on anyway,

2.It will be a good opportunity to double check that you've made no errors, and

3. You have now learnt how vital it is to back the darn disk up!! :lol: Sorry - couldn't resist! Besides that - I couldn't think of anymore positives to write about it! Just remember that all this extra work will have a financially positive outcome though - so keep at it ;) .

Thanks for your advice and support colpac and mooboo - I know its all just a delaying tactic really, but isn't it just soooo irritating :mad: ?

Had better go and do something useful now - like sort the kids out, ring the bank, do some housework. The excitement is almost too much.... :D

OK, look at your spreadsheet. Assuming its similar to mine, in the first column (cleared transaction charges) there were several months where I'd been charged because they'd paid d/d's even though there was no money in my account. So I would presume that this would then make me overdrawn. A few columns over, theres one for unauthorised overdraft fees - which I apparently had no fees for at all - not even on the months when they had cleared transactions and charged me. So the bit I couldn't get my head round was - did they give me a free unauthorised o/d for that 2 year period, or did they 'forget' to list the charges on the spreadsheet? Which is why I wrote back requesting them as microfiche. I really just wanted to make sure they weren't [causing problems] me ;) . The microfiche copies arrived this morning - I've just not had time to compare them yet. I suppose I can only really advise you to study your spreadsheet. If you find there's something you're not sure about, query it with them. Only drawback is though, its delayed my prelim letter by about 3 weeks - it depends on how much of a rush you're in. Hope I've been of some help - good luck with your claim! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon all!! Just a little question.....:confused: My LBA is due to go to Abbey on 21st June (assuming they don't contact me in the meantime and make me an offer that will knock my socks off :rolleyes: ). Since sending my prelim, I've recieved about £200+ more charges (lucky me). Do I add the new charges to my LBA, or do I save that bit for when I undoubtedly have to file a court claim? Would appreciate any advice!! Thanks, Dizzy :D

No problem, just make it clear in your letter that you have added further charges, and since you have come to no agreement in principal you will not be extending your deadline for filing at court.

Then get ready for court quick!:)

[

I really sympathise with you on this - it's maddening!

I got some really good advise on my thread in relation to the spreadsheet issue.

Basically I got fed up of waiting to proceed with my claim so I used the info from Abbey's spreadsheet to put together my schedule of charges. I realised that the actual date of charges doesn't matter just yet 'cos you don't add interest until the court stage. In my preliminary letter I put in a paragraph that I reserved the right to alter the particulars of my claim and cited their failture to comply with the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request). I was also given the email address for one of Abbey's 'Data Protection Consultants'. She undertook to chase up the missing statements and also gave me email confirmation that the amounts quoted on their spreadsheet was accurate - for what ever that's worth! The email address is [email protected]. I basically said that I was concerned that they hadn't complied with the Data Protection Act 'cos I think it's reasonable to assume that they hold more info about my account transactions than just what charges have been applied.

:) Captial One - Won!

:) Egg Card - Won!

:confused: Abbey National - Stayed pending Test Case Judgement

Hi Alex, I did eventually get the microfiche for the same dates as the spreadsheet, but it still showed that despite many cleared transaction charges , I NEVER ONCE got charged for using an unauthorised overdraft :? . Weird, isn't it? However, I'm not intrigued enough to query it with them over the phone - I'm a bit of a chicken like that :oops: . What really gets up my nose is that they're still slapping charges on the account(which is now in limbo 'cos I've moved to the parachute one), therefore, LBA (sending tomorrow) is now £1800 without interest. :)

The new title will show on all new posts.

Regards, Rooster.

• Haha 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Its all very quiet on the Abbey front.......

I sent my LBA last monday, along with a letter asking them to stop levying further charges on the account as it is now 'in limbo' (we've gone to parachute account) and have yet to hear a dicky bird from them - not even an acknowledgement!! How rude! :o

I got all prepared for a snotty letter from them - bagged up all cheque books, debit cards etc ready for them to demand them back...and , well nothing. I've still got online facilities, still got a working account....and still got an overdraft! But not even a good will gesture of a tenner or a 'sod off' letter! :(

Hmmmm....... something tells me they could be up to their necks in claims. Oh well, thats the nearest they'll get to sympathy they'll get from me. Better get started on preparing court claim then........:D

Same here Dizzy (although I did get a leaflet offering me loan - it came in the same post as the letter telling me I am now £318 over my OD limit and suggesting i contact them to HELP me! lol)

I've had a bit of a delay so only just sent LBA and will file in court around 12th July (funds allowing). Got a cap 1 claim coming to a conclusion soon I hope...

Ellie! I wondered where you'd got to - we're about neck and neck then. I'm not holding my breath for large cheque from Abbey anytime soon.... but I'm still trying to figure out whether to use N1 route or MCOL. :confused:

Did you take up their kind offer of a loan then?? :D Good luck with Cap 1!!

Dizzy I agree with petcat, I issued mine at the court on a friday, and received a notice of issue the next day, telling me it will be served to abby on the monday, it is a lot quicker than waitint on MCOL to transfer it, then possibly have it transferred again.