an easier way to get your acc. number when your account is closed [letter template]

PDU101

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5253 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

having just been on the phone to natwest customer services, i posed them a bit of a problem.

basically, RBS couldnt find my data when i went in. So i got back onto Natwest on their customer service helpline and spoke to a representative called Rajwinder Dhami (incidentaly her phone number direct is 0116 258 1514) and explained my situation, although i mentioned i wanted the info for a legal case, not mentioning claiming my charges.

I explained when i shut down my account and that i needed my account number in order to get copies of my previous statements for the last 6 years. This is what she recommended:

copy and paste this letter, i have sent this exact one today.

[your address]

Natwest Bank

1 Victoria Place

Holbeck

Leeds

LS11 5AN

27 April 2007

Dear Sir/Madam

Sort Code: [your sort code]

Name: [your name]

DOB: [your dob]

Previous Address:

[if you had a previous address when you had the account open enter it here for identity verification]

Upon recommendation from your customer services call centre, I am writing this letter to request copies of all of my bank statements for my account for the last six years.

These statements are required for legal proceedings. I would be able to provide my account number also however I closed my account around the [DATE OF CLOSURE] and have since discarded all records of it.

I have spoken to a Rajwinder Dhami at your customer service centre today, she is available on 0116 285 1514. I was told to request a copy of all my statements, as I have above, and to include a payment of GBP £5 for the service.

As I have included payment, please post all of my statements from the 27th April 2001 to the present as soon as possible

Yours faithfully,

[YOUR NAME]

this will get you all statements and your account number in one go for only £5.

I was told by her after talking to her line manager and also her senior manager that this method will kill two birds with one stone, i will get my statements without going round the data protection avenue and also get the account number in the process.

sticky?

not bad for a newbie!!

hi Paul

why ask for 6 years...........better to ask for all statements since the account was opened......................also as its only a request i dont think this is sufficient to get all your info as its not covered by the data protection act

I would recomend any one to continue with the proven method (SAR)

all account numbers can be retrieved from your local branch with proof of ID .....approx dates of opening & closing of account

If u use the letter it has no time scales (they can repy if they want)

all comments welcome

Scott

"all account numbers can be retrieved from your local branch with proof of ID .....approx dates of opening & closing of account"

Just did this today and obtained my a/c number, opening and closing dates from my old NatWest branch. I will try this method with Barclays too and see if it works :D

Give it a go ...

'Fortune favours the brave.'

Any advice given is purely on the basis of my own views and opinions and offered in good faith.

Guest NATTIE

cannot be sarcastic cannot be sarcastic cannot be sarcastic.

Ok, i have a sticky which explains how to get it, Was it open in 2002 or prior to it.(it is a 30 second job) Natwest sticky section, experienced member of staff, account number done(gobsmacked to see this here)

ah, well, MODS time for a comment on potential template?

cannot be sarcastic cannot be sarcastic cannot be sarcastic.

;)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

you can be sarcastic as much as you like, however the fact remains this is ten times easier to get the info than having to go the the branch. you dont even have to leave the house.

on top of that for those people much like myself who cannot get to their actual original branch to confirm their identity, nor any other natwest branch to be honest it makes things very simple.

why bother going into RBS and explaining all that just to get a blank look? i walked in there to get mine in the Helensburgh branch and even the deputy manager admitted they couldnt help me, they simply couldnt do anything.

So matey, regardless of how clever you think you can be, theres always someone with a better idea. the reason you would only request the past six years is that it is admitted on this site that you should generally go for only that period of charges.

on top of that i phoned this morning and spoke to the same person and she confirmed i would recieve exactly the same statements and info if i did this as if i sent a data protection act request.

In the end you get the same result, for a fraction of the cost, and without moving from your house. Is it really so hard to see that?

'must not be sarcastic, must not be sarcastic...'

hi Paul

LOL

the responses u have recieved are not there to belittle u they r there for advice only

Paul, some bank staff members will not always give u the best advice,what is politely pointed out to you is .........

If u intend to claim more than 6 years if u send a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) asking for all the info u have it if u wish to make a pre 6 year claim (saves time)

The banks have a legal obligation to give u the info in 40 days when using a SAR..........

I would suspect u will wait a long time for your account NO.

If u went into a branch u could have it in 2 mins...(worth a trip to a branch) rather than waiting weeks.......

i myself coulnt trace my acc. no but had a customer CIN no which i was told would identify me allowing me to retrieve statements & account no..

sound familiar!!! 3 weeks later i recieve a letter saying go into a local branch with proof of ID to retrieve acc.no and resubmit forms........................

So basically you have been fobbed of by the bank.....If u method works i will apologise and will stand corrected..

We are only trying to offer advice from our own experiences..there is a proven method which has been refined over the last year...

No one is having a go at you Paul we r only trying to point u in the right direction

Good luck with the claim if u need any help please post as we are all willing to help you

Kind regards

Scott

Guest NATTIE

if your account number was opened or open in 2002 and before that, i can get it in 30 seconds. Advice given.

Apologies but i will state now that the letter written will delay things in my opinion but i am happy if i am proved wrong and will gladly ask a Moderator to make the letter a template one for here if that is the case. Personally, JUST statements on anyone's claim is a mistake IF they want to go past 6 years and a SAR which is £10 under the Data Protection Act is better. Good Luck

Paul

I tried the letter method you are advocating and it didn't work (it was a proper SAR though).

I had a re-think and came up with a combination of two methods to try: I 'phoned NatWest DPA (using number in the contacts sticky) then read Nattie's sticky suggesting calling into my old branch.

NatWest DPA person's advice mirrored that offered by Nattie, in addition, I was given open and closure dates for a/c and guidance on the screen the NatWest person would need to go into. This worked well for me in the branch and the chap EVEN tried to get me my statements back from TEN years ago (he was foiled by an evil senior colleague :( )

When you get to know Nattie better you will realise that he takes every opportunity to be sarcastic; he's damned good at it ;)

'Fortune favours the brave.'

Any advice given is purely on the basis of my own views and opinions and offered in good faith.

i understand that is a good way but only when you can walk into your branch, i cant as i live hundreds of miles away from a natwest, leaving me with no option but to search for a remote way to access the data.