• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

clarion48 vs Abbey ****WON****

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6066 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Gary - just looked at the info on the link you sent me - THANKS! That helps so much - maybe I won't be so freaked out now.

I'll take a chill pill and get on with it! Thank you. :D

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at the front of the bundle there is an index page - keep everything in that order. To be honest as long as its there its not massively crucial.

No need for disclosure list or draft directions - you just need everything from the court bundle and a witness statement.

Use the second 'pre-estimate' statement of evidence, and just re-title it as a witness statement.

Here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/57708-draft-order-allocation-questionnaires.html#post482151

Get it off to the court to the court and Abbey by the date specified. Remember also to send a rejection letter regarding their offer.

OK now?

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Hi Gary - just looked at the info on the link you sent me - THANKS! That helps so much - maybe I won't be so freaked out now.

I'll take a chill pill and get on with it! Thank you. :D

Good. Let me know if you get stuck.

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Thanks Gary - sorry to be a pain. Had a major wobble when the court letter came this morning - am okay now and will follow your instructions.

The offer doesn't relate to the same claim - it is my credit card claim - they will not give me list of transactions/statements as per the SAR and just sent that offer.

No worries - I posted that before I saw your next post actually! Its been removed now anyway - sorry for the mis-understanding.:)

Get your bundle in on time with your witness statement and you won't be going to court, don't worry about that.;)

Thanks Gary - that's all a great help! Well under way now - will post the bundle on Monday - need to get two folders & dividers.

Will do the rejection letter tomorrow - that's less urgent.

Excellent advice given by Gary H - if you need help with your court bundle and like me - didn't know what to do so just panicked......read Gary's threads on the previous page.....everything is there that you need.

I'm just about to put my chronological order of correspondence together - I have just about all of the bundle ready for copying and will make a start on that tomorrow ready for posting on Monday. :D

Helllllp!!

Can anyone tell me - what is the difference between a case summary and a witness statement? - they look one and the same to me!!

Do I need to put in a skeleton argument as well as one of the above?

And does anyone know how to word the Limitation Act to use in a skeleton argument please?

Hope someone can help!

The short witness statement alongside the case summary is no good - you need something far more substantial.

Use the second 'pre-estimate' statement of evidence, and just re-title it as a witness statement.

Here - Draft Order for Allocation Questionnaires

Just a witness statement is fine.

Not sure about limitations bit, do a search under 'limitations act'.

Documents attached in support of this statement

• Office of Fair Trading report, April 2006
  • House of commons early day motion, May 2006
  • Automated charge notification letter/s. Include a couple of examples. Preferably use ones where charges have been incurred over ridiculously small shortfalls and if possible, include 2 letters notifying of charges incurred on the same day
  • BBC commission conclusion - BBC NEWS | Business | The Money Programme bank commission
  • Australian Default charges report, Nicole Rich - http://www.clcv.net.au/downloads/Med...20Report .pdf
  • Transcript of telephone communication with Lloyds TSB 'personal banking' department.
  • Data Protection Act Subject Access Request for evidence of manual intervention
  • Transcript of radio interview with Peter McNamara, former head of personal banking, Lloyds TSB.
  • All pre-litigation correspondence between the parties

Thanks Gary - I did follow your link earlier but have a couple of problems with the supporting documents - then I went off and read some more threads (ICY's in particular), which is a whole different statement and I am now so confused my head is spinning. I'll be lucky to get this done by Thursday.

I have the OFT report; Early Day Motion; BBC Commission Conclusion; Lloyds Transcript.

I don't have the Australian Default Charges Report and have tried searching with google & msn but the links don't seem to be working at the moment.

I don't have any automated charge notification letters at all and my original S.A.R was sent using Martin Lewis's template (I hadn't found my way to CAG then) - so it didn't mention manual intervention.

Also, my defence from Abbey - nos 9 - is different to what everyone else seems to have had.

I have the relevant articles relating to the Limitation Act but am unsure how to word it in my statement (as Abbey mentioned limitation in their defence) - or whether to just put those articles in as extra?

Thanks

What you can't find don't worry - most of what's listed as documents in support are pretty trivial anyway.

Just get the witness statement in along with all the important stuff - the basic court bundle, competition commission report, etc.

Hi Tricia - Thanks for that - really appreciate it. I'm stressed beyond belief at the moment and can see myself just walking away from this.

Do you happen to have any of the automated letters Abbey send out? If so, would you scan one and mail it to me please (minus your details of course!)

The way I feel right now I certainly won't be chasing any more claims! I've had enough and it's not worth the headache! :mad::confused::(

Have a good day.

Sorry, I don't have any letters, they stopped sending them about 2 months before I started the claim so I haven't any. Mad moment, chucked the lot one day when I was having a clear out. I saw a thread yesterday where someone had some and was prepared to send copies to the poster but I can't find it. I'll have nother look and if I see it I'll get back to you.

Please don't feel down, I know it is stressful and at times you feel like walking away but it's YOUR money we're talking about and it was taken without your consent, that's not right. In other circumstances that would be called stealing so please stick with it and reclaim what's yours by right. Think of how it will help you to have that extra cash to sort out other things.

You are amongst friends here and we'll all support you every step of the way in all the things you want to sort out, all you have to do is yell and we'll all come running. I know how difficult it can be when your health is not good but if you walk away you're letting them win, it will bea another nail in your rights. Please don't let them get to you.

Hi Tricia,

Thanks - I do know that really. It's been the most stressful week this last week. With my friend dying, the funeral Friday, which was in Wiltshire - a long way - and on the way back a skip lorry deposited a load of building rubble on the motorway, which kindly smashed my car windscreen.

Saturday the court papers finally arrived, after telling me they had been sent a week before.....and then I'm left with just a couple of days to get everything ready.

It seems every thread I read advises something else re the court bundle - some of which I don't have and can't find - and I don't want to look like a T**T in court or take the chance of losing this case. If I can't find the bits I'm missing I need to take out loads of my witness statement that covers those areas.

MY HEAD IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE!!!!!!!!! Think I need to just walk away and have a break.....see what I can sort out later.

Where's Bonnie these days.....haven't heard from her since last week?

Hi anita, im here!!!!!!! Havent posted on yr thread cos honest 2 god i havent gotta clue what yr on about:(

It scares the hell outta me that im gonna b where u r soon, and god help "my Advisors" on here................ i dont think even their patience will last much longer with me!!! :p

What i will say tho is DONT U DARE GIVE UP NOW!!!!!! yr nearly there and when it does get u down, walk away for a few hrs (or get on MSN).... unwind :D Im following u closely so im relying on u 2 give me an insight (espec as we're in the same court)!!!!!

In all..................yr not alone on here!!!!!!

luv u lots

me xxxxxxxxxxx

Couple of questions to anyone who can help please?

Further or in the alternative, even if the said fees are not proportionate to the Defendant's administrative expenses incurred (which is denied), the Claimant remains liable to pay such fees as may be found to be proportionate and the Claimant is not entitled to claim repayment of the full amount of each charge made to the account.

Is this near to the paragraph 9 quote on the 'Genuine Pre-Estimate Statement' on GaryH's post #86 - this thread?

The Defendant denies that the Claimant is entitled to claim charges incurred prior to 2001, by reason of the Limitation Act.

If I respond to this in my Witness Statement is this okay? The Defendant says that their charges are fair and reasonable and yet the OFT statement has made it clear that this is almost certainly not true. The banks charges are much more than their actual costs and are being concealed. Other than the OFT no-one has had access to evidence and therefore, these facts have been concealed. By falsely stating that their penalties are levied in line with UK Law,the banks are concealing the fact that they are not lawful and that they make profits from them, which is contrary to UK Law. In the case of Sheldon v Outhwaite 1995, Lord Browne-Wilkinson said, ".....if the Defendant....deliberately takes a step to conceal the relevant facts (a step which is by ordinary standards morally unconscionable if not necessarily legally fraudulent) it does not seem to me to be absurd that the plaintiff who has been prevented by the dishonourable conduct of the Defendant from learning of the facts on the basis of which to found his action should be afforded the six year period from the date of discovery of such concealment to bring his action." In Cave vs Robinson 2002, Lord Millet said, "In my opinion, section 32 deprives a defendant of limitation defence in two situations: (1) where he takes active steps to conceal his own breach of duty after he has become aware of it; and (2) where he is guilty of deliberate wrongdoing and conceals or fails to disclose it in circumstances where it is unlikely to be discovered for some time. But it does not deprive a defendant of a limitation defence where he is charged with negligence if, being unaware of his error or that he has failed to take proper care, there has been nothing for him to disclose."

Banks are obliged not to mislead their customers. By concealing the true cost in relation to their charges they are no longer afforded the protection of the Limitation Act 1980 and if concealment has occurred even after the breach in question, the limitation period falls away.

(Please note that these quotes are taken from two threads written by BankFodder and can be found at "Claiming Beyond 6yrs" and "Do you have charges going back more than 6yrs")

LINKS

Limitation: A Summary of the Law

http://www.whcg-law.co.uk/docs/whcgdoc040903c.doc

Cave v Robinson

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk.pa/ld200102/ldjudgmt/jd020425/cave-2.htm

Okay? or should I leave it out?