• Tweets

• Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and thank you for concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Kimbers v Yorkshire Bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6107 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi to everyone - I am new here.

I have received my first correspondance from the Yorkshire Bank confirming receipt of the £10 fee.

They state that they have 40 days from the date the fee was paid and will forward the information they hold in due course.

They are saying that if I have requested any information relating to manual intervention they are not obliged to supply it as the Data Protection Act does not mention it.

I am unsure of what this means exactly, but fell sure they are trying to wriggle out of something.

Hi Kimbers,

This is a standard reply so no need to worry. Check out some of the of the other threads and you'll get a rough idea what to expect along the way. Good luck with the claim! I'll keep an eye out for you as we are at the same stage.

Shumba

Hi Shumba

It's good to know someone will be with me along the way.

I am claiming against YB bank account and YB Credit Card and my other half's Halifax bank account.

To be truthful I am finding it quite daunting, there is so much to read and I keep getting sidetracked as everything is so fascinating.

I am sure it will fall into place though, especially as there is so much help around.

I am hoping to go back more than 6 years with my account - need to read up a lot more though.

Nice to hear from you anyway, and good luck.

Hi all,

Had this letter from the bank today, and they included statements for my credit card from 2002 to present.

"Your statements have been requested from 2 different areas of the bank. 1 of these sets contains statements from July 2005 to the present and the other set contains statements from prior to July 2005. If you have only received one of these sets, the remaining one will follow shortly.

If you require any additional information please contact your branch.

Advice Quality Unit - Charges Section."

What I need to know now is, am I right in thinking I can claim back all of the charges going back to when the accounts were open?

And if so, is there a template or has anyone written back to them to ask for statements going back further than this?

You can claim back further than 6 years. If you used the letter template from this site then it doesn't state 6 years so you can tell them you want all your statements from when the account was first opened or as far back as they hold them ;)

Sarah.

Yorkshire Bank

Started Process 19th Sept 2006.

All Stages Followed.

Next Step Court!

Hearing Date 7th June 2007.

WON!!!!! 6th June 2007 :D

Frequently Asked Questions

Example Step-By-Step Instructions

Thanks for your reply. I know about claiming past 6 years and have used the template from this site, I just don't know when I had the C Card from as they have sent me from Aug 2002 and I want to make sure I didnt have it before then.

As it's a closed account now they wont tell me over the phone the account opening date.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I think I have made a cock up.

I am not sure if I sent the Preliminary letter after receiving my statements or went straight to the LBA.

Can someone advise me what to do in this situation as I have received a letter today saying thanks you, please be patient and they will be in touch (even though it's now 14 days since the last letter)

I know they try it on but am worried that due to me possibly sending the wrong letter and the fact that I missed off the a/c no. for one of the two cards with them on the 2nd letter and list of charges, I have messed up.

I apologise for wasting time here, but I have read and read and DO understand, I can't believe I may have done this.

Thanks

Here's what I did so far:

1. Sent SAR request for credit card

2. Received statements

3. Sent LBA and schedule (then realised I should have sent Prelim letter asking for repayment) Does this matter???

4. Got reply stating Terms and Conditions and that they have considered my request and cannot refund the charges on this occasion.) I know this is them trying it on.

5. Do I now progress to Moneyclaim and start court action?

I know it is bad form on here to ask obvious questions, but I just do not have the confidence to go any further without someone clarifying the above. )

Please help

Thanks

Kimbers

3. Sent LBA and schedule (then realised I should have sent Prelim letter asking for repayment) Does this matter???

Yes it does matter! I suggest that it might be useful if you take a read of this thread... Example Step-By-Step Instructions Then you will know exactly what you should be doing at each step.

Sarah.

Yorkshire Bank

All Stages Followed.

Next Step Court!

Thanks for the reply.

The problem lies in having read and read and understood, but by a silly error on my part sending the LBA instead of the prelim.

Do you know either what to do now or who can help me please, seeing as the bank have replied saying they will not refund me, which I thought was just a delay tactic on their part.?

Thanks again.

I'm not 100% sure what you should do but I would personally start again and send them the prelim letter. You don't want to take this to court and have them request that your claim is struck out because you haven't followed procedures properly. I really wouldn't give them any excuse as they will jump on it. If anyone with more knowledge can suggest anything else then I'm sure they will :)

Sarah.

Yorkshire Bank

All Stages Followed.

Next Step Court!

Shall I just send the prelim letter as though this never happened then?

I really appreciate your advice. I cannot believe I made this mistake. I spent so much time reading and think I have clicked on the wrong template, assumed it was the prelim and sent it.

I dont mind the hold up so long as I get it right.

Thanks

Yeah just start again and send them the prelim letter :D Better to get it right at the start than fall down nearer the end.

Yorkshire Bank

All Stages Followed.

Next Step Court!

You're very welcome.

Yeah I'm claiming against YB and my court date is in 8 days :rolleyes: Still waiting for some kind of response from them though as I'm starting to think I died and nobody has told me yet lol :D

Good luck with your claim.

Sarah.

Yorkshire Bank

All Stages Followed.

Next Step Court!

I have just read in it's entirity your thread and want to wish you all the best for the 7th June.

You seem to have worked flat out on this and I will hopefully be following in your footsteps.

I too hadn't realised how long a process it was, but seeing your thread and all the support you guys give each other is reassuring.

I will update my thread as soon as I hear.

One more question if I may though.

When I started all of this I went for my credit card and bank account seperately which I now realise I could have done at once (both YB)

But, the credit card statements came through seperate so I have continued separately as the bank statements have still not appeared.

Will this be ok?

Thanks

Just to update and ask some advice really.....

When I started trying to reclaim my charges I went after the YB bank account and the YB credit card separately.

The bank has responded separately and I am at two different stages with my claims.

The YB credit card sent statements straight away and I got to LBA stage then realised I hadnt sent Prelim request for repayment, so have sent that now and am waiting.

The YB bank account has and still is stalling with my statements, despite sending the LBA for failing to comply with the SAR I sent on 15th April.

Am I ok to carry on pursuing these separately? Will it cause me problems?

The YB bank account have sent a response to my LBA saying I will have my statements by mid-June. What do I send next as i know I don't have to wait for them but have got confused.

Thanks

I am hoping I learn lots as the credit card is only a small amount and the bank account goes back 16 years so will be more complex I imagine.

Still unsure of what to do next with the bank accounts as they have not sent my statements despite the LBA.

I will go get 'em as soon as I am sure how.

Thanks for the advice.

• 1 month later...

Hello.

Can anyone help me please?

For unavoidable reasons I have had to take a break away from reclaiming my bank charges and wondered how to come back to it.

I am pursuing three acoounts.

1. My YB Credit Card - I have had all my statements back and got to the LBA stage and got no reply. I then took no further action after the 7 days.

2. My YB bank account - had statements up to 6 years and was about to send a letter asking for further back. I havent done anything else with this yet.

3. My other half's Halifax Bank account - they sent him a list of dates, each with a sum of money printed next to it (no explanation of what the charge was) and a letter saying they have decided not to charge the fee.

Does anyone know if I can go back to these accounts after leaving it so long and what are people's thoughts on getting someone else to pursue these for me for a fee?

I do not feel I can cope doing it myself as it is getting put on the back burner when other stuff gets in the way.

I have also not visited the site for awhile and have just read about the test case (briefly).

How will this affect in easy-to-understand terms?

Thanks