Mum is £900 in credit with Npower. Grrrr.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6195 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just found out from my mother that she has over paid Npower to the tune of £900!

£900!!

In a letter sent today, they have kindly offered to reduce her monthly bill to just £5.

Cheeky [edit]

She would have to live to gone 100 years old in order to make sure she got the best of that deal.

Is there a letter template for her to demand payment?

thanks.

I was about £600 in credit with southern electric. I phoned them and they put the money back in my bank account. The same with BT I had overpaid by about £200 at one point they also put it back in my bank account.

I would try phoning again saying you want the money back and them to review the monthly DD's. (as she is obviously paying way too much each month)

If they say they cant do that tell them that you will be changing supplier then they will have to repay it as it is rightfully yours.

If other companies do it don't see why they can't.

Hi, I used to work for British gas if that helps or not??

Basically they can offer a refund at any time during the course of the dd. The dont like to, what they tend to do is wait until the dd has got to the point where its done a full 12 month cycle, and see if you're still in credit. Then they will refund you whats over and reduce the dd for the next 12 month period. They do this basically because you use more energy in the winter months than in the summer. But baring in mind we have just come out of winter and she is still £900.00 in credit, seems ludicrous and they should be offering a refund.

I would call them on her behalf (with your mother present so they can the the DPA) and ask them yourself, I dont know if she is elderly, but if she is, they seem to think the elderly will just say "yes dear, thank you dear" not ask many questions and have done with it.

Try again, and good luck

Heidi

I am not a legal expert, any advice I give is based purley on experience or opinion.

Please tip the scales if you feel I have helped you!! :D

I'd agree with Heidi, if they refused before, then speak to them when your mother is there and insist they refund it. Make sure you have an up to date meter reading when you call.

If that doesn't work then put a complaint in writing (getting your mother to sign it) reuesting a full refund within 28 days and for the direct debit to be reassessed.

If you could scan me the letter and a brief chronology. I'm sure that I could arrange a little exposure if you would like.

It would be very effective for your mother but would also help lots of other people in the same position

Thanks all.

I have just spoken to the Customer Complaints Centre and threatened them with Bank Fodder and Watchdog! Mum's money is being refunded to her account as I type this!

Amazing what happens when they are no longer talking to an elderly lady.

He monthly payments are going to be just £5 a month from now on. she had previously been paying £54!

So thanks again on behalf of me and my mum!

Glad all sorted. If anything like that happens in future a complaint to energywatch tends to sort them out

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

Sitting here with my mum reading out the responses to her!

She is amazed that you all care so much and thanks you all very much for your attention and your advice!

Thank you again and she is "very pleased" to have her money back!"

A colleague of mine was told he could not have a few hundred pounds refunded unless they cancelled the contract and setup a new one. British Gas I believe. He then went on to say well I'm not sure I should continue, I might just move to another suppliear. Much grovelling later he has his money :)

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

What a load of rubbish!!!!

They do not need to cancel one account and set up another one, where on earth did the person telling you get that one from!! nice try mate (BG, not you, lol)

The customer services guys cannot phyically do the refund, they send the request to another department, and its normally done the same day, the refund is nearly always sent back directly into the account it came from, so there is no need to do anything with the account. I'm sure they all think we were all born yesterday! Granted they have changed the systems since I left, but still, its common sense to know that they do not need to change the account, where do these guys come from, do they really think we are that stupid?

Sorry, rant over...

and CONGRATULATIONS Admiral Cains mum! :-D

Heidi

I am not a legal expert, any advice I give is based purley on experience or opinion.

Please tip the scales if you feel I have helped you!! :D

Nice result, but I am surprised that you had to work so hard to get the money back. I had the same situation with Npower last year on both my gas and electric accounts. I rang them up and asked if the over payment could be refunded and they arranged it straight away with no hassle at all.

I'm wondering if it is worthwhile writing in to make a formal complaint?