style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there , alredy a member and about to go to court with Abbey , I only found these threads yesterday, FANTASTIC! This is major for me and my family and have done am doing lots of research. !

1. landlord living abroad in sri lanka, only have mobile number for contact.

2. A french address, were he used to live on the contract, should be an address in u.k, or someone actind on his behalf in england ,there isnt!

3. sub standard conditions, health and saftey round last week, are accessing and pointin scale and sending to landlord, aventually!

4. Such as no record of boiler serviced since we moved her 2 years ago, ceiling, lava and plaster fell down on my three year old daughter last wed, after reporting a hairline crack to him in beggining of jan 07. have wriitten evidence of this, taken her to doctors and reported, luckly i put duvet over her as she was tied, only scratches on hand!! among several other problems, dodgy electrics sockets, gas and pathways un maintained pathway and paintwork uncovered draians, really want to take action on him, knowingly putting my family at risk,( husdand, 13 year girl,m 3 girl,1 yaer boy)PEASE any suggestions. Thankyou Rebecca bill

Well first thing I would say is, you are not liable to pay ANY rent until he provides you with a S20 notice providing details of an address in England or Wales to contact him...

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thankyou so much I think he is so oblivious to this ,but quick to take money, maybe I should keep the rent back to pay for the ceiling that is so dangerous, mind you today heatlth and saftey are trying to inforce, but no address!! can you suggestb anything easle? I am just about to have a look at a landlordlaw website recommended to me. This is a headache to say the least. thankyou. Rebecca

I will make a detailed reply when I get a sec. But in the meantime - are you wanting to stay in the property or move in? Will make a significant difference to any action you take.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

we are in the prperty at present have been for two and a bit years. Now WANT out, I can Email u the report from the council. tying to find somewhwere, however we have to give two months notice as per th agreement. however trying to find out if the stae of the property means we can possibly get out sooner, obviously not mentioned this to the landlord cos we havnt found anywere yet! A week and 2 days on and no ceiling repair cos he is worried about cost. Have a good mind to get it done and use the rent money I have kept back! So fed up, thankyou so much for your help and advice. rebeca

OK if you are not bothered about being evicted, do the following:

- Withhold ALL further rent. Without a valid name and address on the tenancy from england and wales, he must serve you with a S20 notice providing these. Unless these are provided, you are NOT liable to pay rent, NOR can he EVER evict you. Note that in addition to this, you have no obligation to tell him this. However, DO be aware that this does not mean that rent is not due for this period, it will become payable once he serves the S20 upon you. So, I would very very strongly advise that should you follow this route, "pay" the rent into another bank account, rather than keeping it per se. Do write to him telling him you are withholding rent, as it has come to your attention that legally you are not currently obliged to pay it, and also state that any attempt to evict you due to this will be documented and could be construed as harrassment and unlawful eviction. Do not tell him the reason you are not obliged to pay.

- Keep all written confirmation from the council regarding the state of the property.

- For repairs, write to the landlord, detailing that you expect the repairs done within a certain period of time(I would suggest a week) from the date of the letter. Do not send recorded, but do get proof of postage(free from the PO). Advise him in the letter, that should he not perform the repairs, you will be forced to carry them out and charge the repairs to him.

- If he does not perform the repairs, get three quotes for each repair. Go with the middle quote, and keep all quotes and receipts. Write to the landlord again, informing him that you have been forced to perform the repairs, enclose a COPY of the quotes and receipts, and inform him that once rent becomes payable again, you shall deduct the cost of the repairs from the rent, as per your legally allowed right of offset.

Does this help? :)

This is extremly helpfull have been looking on tessa s website too, I have recieved the copy of letter from council ,which they have sent to my landlord in sri lanka, all documented. will keep you posted .Thankyou soooooooooooooooo much, really good to of found you.

• 3 weeks later...

Please please help me with more info about the S20 form providing a address in the Uk. am i right in saying i dont need to pay rent, until he gives me his address in the Uk? i have held back 1 months rent, i dont intend to hold back anymore, this is for precautionary measures, ie repairs or upaid deposit. Landlord is LIVID with me repairs ongoing with the council. was going to give my 2 months notice, but my housing officer has advised me otherwise (council) as could be making ourselves homeless, and may not get a council property.

really could do with some advise here. things getting deep. council advising me to pay all rent,

kind regards, thanking you in anticipation,

Rebecca Bill

Basically, the landlord has to provide you with a seperate Section 20 form IF he has not provided an address in England or Wales to contact him on in the tenancy agreement. This form must, therefore, contain those details. The form does not have to be a prescribed form - ie it is enough to simply write you a letter saying that "this is an address you can contact me on yadda yadda". That help?

In addition, the consequences of this not being supplied:

- Rent cannot be made payable.

- Eviction cannot succeed

However, all back rent will become payable when this is served.