• Tweets

• The funds were taken by eBay, rather than Paypal.  I presume Paypal collects the funds from eBay, and so eBay then sting me for the money.   But either way, before this money was taken from my account, my eBay account balance showed as -£85.  Yes, my bank account has been debited by this amount. eBay say that they are completely removed from the chargeback process, because it is carried out by the buyer's financial institution.  So, conveniently, they cannot help, other than by refunding the chargeback fee of £14. 
    • Perfect, thanks for the detailed response. Once question, do you know how long it takes for the breathing space to get applied? Say for example I have payments due in 4 days and I apply today how does that work? Also, sorry for sounding stupid but what do you mean by default once the breathing space is in place? I mean what does "Default" mean.  After the breathing space is over and I wanted more time, what would happen? I can and will afford the payments after a few months but I just need that breather to sort some stuff out, as I have said I have never missed a payment. Sorry for the many replies but after doing a quick search, correct me if i am wrong. If it then does go into default and it goes to a collection agency am I right in saying they will send many letters and they may consider a claim? and I should only response if an official MoneyClaim is made? Also, If it does go into default does this severely affect my credit score? or will this only be in the case if a CCJ is applied.
    • there isn't one yet use the default mentioned already there. that covers all 3 debts as i assume the PAPLOC is for all 3 debts? dx  
    • a chargeback via a paypal account used in an ebay sale doesn't usually result in funds being sucked from your bank account,  just that you attain a paypal negative balance. as you saying the money was taken by paypal from your bank account without you authorising this? or is it directly the buyers name that is shown? regarding the chargeback but either way you bank account HAS been debited? dx  
    • what solicitor is the PAPLOC from? then just search xxxx snotty letter dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

April7 V Abbey

April7
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6145 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Silly me, I allowed Abbey to dictate the timescale to resolve my complaint because their letters seemed so genuinely concerned to help. It took them only 8 weeks to send a standard fob off letter, to say their charges do not contravene the UTCCT 1999 or OFT, their charges are for the extra admin work involved,also they are unable to let me have a breakdown of the true cost when calculating each item.

Well, I'm really really really annoyed, Abbey must be having a good old laugh, so I bit the bullet and have issued a claim, sent a copy of the schedule of charges to MCOL and Abbey, all this trouble for less than £500, If I were Abbey I would have coughed up the money a long time ago, now they'll have to pay me interest and court costs. He, who laughs last, laughs the longest.

Hi April17 - I've had the same sort of rubbish from Abbey (and others) regarding their charges, extra admin work etc etc, to which I've responded as follows -

' . . . .I calculate your costs as follows -

a) For automated charges, you could fairly charge me at most 5 seconds of computer time, which could fairly be charged at £120 per hour which cost includes hardware, software, set up, and operating costs. A fair charge would therefore be no more than 20 pence.

b) For charges where manual intervention is required, you could fairly charge me at most 5 minutes of a Clerk's time. The Clerk would be employed at approximately £6 per hour. Including 'on-costs' this figure would rise to no more than £10 per hour. You could therefore fairly charge me no more than 83 pence in these cases. . . . . . If you dispute these figures, please supply me with your own detailed calculations . . . .'

I intend to use this in Court Bundles for Abbey, Cap One, & LLoyds, for all of which I'm helping others with claims. Please feel free to use it as well!

All the best with your claim - Adam.

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

Thanks Adam, I like your style of accounting.

My charges are for an account Abbey closed, it took me 18 months to clear and after all my hard slog they closed the account anyway.

I saw Martin Lewis on GMTV over a year ago, I kept saying I'm gonna do that,but didn't feel confident enough to take on the big boys.

I'm looking forward to Xmas shopping I think.

Hi April

I think we all felt a bit nervous at first, just stick with it, you set the pace and - if you need to you can get help, advice and inspiration from the vast experience of the people here.

Good Luck - although I've been told that Luck has nothing to do with it!

Hi April7 - You should have your money well before Christmas, although the beggars do everything they can to put you off!

Like you I saw ML a while ago now, which started me off! I'm blessed with a mind that takes fairly easily to matters financial and legal, and he got my interest going. His site seemed to over simplify the issue, but I then found GAG (through a link on ML's site), and started reading (and reading, and reading . . . . ) till I reached the point of feeling I could take 'em on with confidence, which I'm now doing for 3 people I know. If you're interested, the threads are 'Tish vs Abbey', 'Tish vs Cap One', and 'JimmyBoy vs Lloyds'.

Stick with your claim, get it right (there's masses of help available here on CAG as I've discovered), and you're almost certain to get back whats rightfully yours. All the very best - Adam.

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

• 2 weeks later...

Dont feel bad I feel for the same trick with Abbey and like you I am going for it now - also just to make you feel even better they are not the only one trying it so are Woolwich once I sent in my letter claiming back their charges 3000+ they told me they are going to transfer my claim to Barclays to deal with due to the nature of my claim it has been escalated to head office!!!

Update. Nothing out of the ordinary happening to my claim.

Abbey have acknowledged and are defending, just waiting for their defence to arrive.

Can anyone tell me please, when should I start preparing the court bundle, there seems to be a lot of ink and paper required and I dont know if my old printer can handle it.

Also, do you think Abbey will drag this on to the court bundle stage for a relatively small amount.

Thanks

April

Hi April.

From what I've read its never too early to start on the 'bundle'. Although there is always a chance that Abbey will settle before that stage, history seems to say that they normally go virtually all the way before settling, even on smaller claims. Having said that, there have been a few exceptions.

Sorry if thats not too helpful, but it seems to be how it is!

All the best - Adam.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Received Abbey's defence, word for word, identical to " mariejader v Abbey," so I'm not scared of the wording.

I'm waiting for the court to send me their copy of the defence and the AQ. Any updated suggestions or advice as to how to answer section G when it arrives.

Thanks

April.

Hi again April

I've just filed our AQ at Court, using GaryH's suggestion here -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/87766-abbey-abuse-orders-keeping.html

Suggest you give that a good read & see what you think - you've nothing to loose!

All the best - Adam

Thanks Adam, Got the situation in hand. Did you tweak Gary's template and what attachments did you send with the AQ.

I'm getting married in August and every penny counts, dont want to make any mistakes at this stage.

Thanks

April

Hi April

The only 'tweak' I made to GaryH's wording was to add the words 'on ocaision' before the words 'breached the pre-hearing directions' in the third paragraph of Section 1. My attachments were exactly as GaryH's post.

Hope that helps - Adam.

Can anyone please clarify I'm preparing for the arrival of the AQ.

For the other info section (G) I'm attaching the Lincoln abuse order.quote,(Please find attached a copy of an order made by LincolnCounty court (attachment 1C) in at least 6 cases similar to my own, in which Abbey Plc were also the Defendant.)

The bank in question was Lloyds TSB. Not Abbey. I'm I missing something, Can I use this abuse order in my AQ even though they are different banks, my brain is dead, help me understand please.

Thanks

April

Hi April

If you look at GaryH's thread, where the 'Abuse Order' is, you'll find he's changed it now.

Cheers - Adam.

Hello

Can anyone help, I cant open the archive to view Abbeys T&C for 1998

Could someone please forward them to me. My damn PC needs archiving.

Thanks

April

Hi April

Just spent 1/2 hour trying to open Abbey's T&C's from 1998, with no joy at all!!! For some reason the 'Wayback Machine' is having probbs, or else my machine is! However try this - its directly to T&C's from 2002 -

Abbey National: Personal Banking : Personal Banking conditions

Worth bearing in mind April that Abbey DO admit in their standard defence, which is what I recieved, that you HAVE breached your contract with them and therefore incurred charges. Therefore, as I see it, the UTCCR 1999 DO apply, and their charges must be in proportion to their costs. The Lloyds defence, which caused the problems with 'Kevin's' case, does not admit to a 'breach of contract', and refers only to 'service charges'. We don't have the same problem with Abbey as I see it, at least not until Abbey change their defence. Perhaps someone with more legal knowledge that me can confirm this, or otherwise - would be very grateful for that opinion. :? :? :?

Not quite as helpful as I would have liked to have been, April, but hope it helps anyway. In addition I'm hoping it won't be long before CAG post details of T&C's - I know they are working very hard on it. Strictly speaking they don't seem vital to an Abbey claim when they put up their current defence, but to include them in the Court bundle can only serve to strengthen the claim, and do everything possible to prevent a Judge drawing the same conclusions as in 'Kevin's' case.

All the best - Adam.

Hi April17 - I've had the same sort of rubbish from Abbey (and others) regarding their charges, extra admin work etc etc, to which I've responded as follows -

' . . . .I calculate your costs as follows -

a) For automated charges, you could fairly charge me at most 5 seconds of computer time, which could fairly be charged at £120 per hour which cost includes hardware, software, set up, and operating costs. A fair charge would therefore be no more than 20 pence.

b) For charges where manual intervention is required, you could fairly charge me at most 5 minutes of a Clerk's time. The Clerk would be employed at approximately £6 per hour. Including 'on-costs' this figure would rise to no more than £10 per hour. You could therefore fairly charge me no more than 83 pence in these cases. . . . . . If you dispute these figures, please supply me with your own detailed calculations . . . .'

I intend to use this in Court Bundles for Abbey, Cap One, & LLoyds, for all of which I'm helping others with claims. Please feel free to use it as well!

All the best with your claim - Adam.

Adam, i hope you dont mind me stealing the above to aid my battle against abbey, very well put together, i had to have a giggle at what i imagined they would say on reading it lol

:madgrin:

Hi ICY - you're very welcome to use it. I've had no response to it, yet, from using it in my claims though.

All the best - Adam

• Haha 1

Thanks for trying Adam re 1998 T/C.

Well I received today from Northampton the following:

Without hearing. It is ordered that:

The claim is being transferred to my local court,The judge filing of an alloction questionaire be dispenced with in this case etc.

Is this the time I send the following to my local court, if so which one?

a. Letter to court New strat for AQ.

or

b. The Claimant respectfully requests that an order may be made as follows;

1. That the Defence is struck out as an abuse of process, pursuant to rule 3.4(2) (b) of the Civil Procedure Rules.etc.

Should I also enclose at this stage, with the above:

1B) List of settled cases

1C) Text of order made by Lincoln County Court

1D) Mullen -v- Hackney BC (1997)2 A11ER 906

2A) Draft Order for directions

Thanks

April.

Hi April

The transfer, and dispensing with AQ unless Judge at local Court decides otherwise, is perfectly normal I gather when using MCOL. Not having used MCOL myself, I'm not sure about writing to Judge at local Court re. Directions or Striking Out. Hopefully someone that does know can advise you on that one.

Did you send a copy of your schedule of charges to MCOL after filing the claim? If not you should send it to the local Court, and the bank, as soon as possible. It is very important that they both have it.

All the best - Adam.

• 2 weeks later...
if so which one?

You can do both - Have you seen http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/87766-abbey-abuse-orders-keeping.html?

There is a covering letter here (http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-711002.html) you could modify to go with the draft directions.

As the AQ has been dispensed with you can write as soon as you like - make sure you quote your claim number. It is the local court not MCOL that handles it from now on.

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability.

Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my court date for September, I presume that the judge did not Strike out the defence and has ignored the Draft Order.

This being the case, I'll get my Court Bundle ready as follows:

Basic court bundle downloaded from site.

OFT report Analysis.

Consumer Law Centre Victoria. Will the 2 page media release do, or do I need the full report.

Transcript of Peter Mc's interview even though he worked for Lloyds.

Early Day Motion

BBC Moneybox

Ulster- All of it or just pages?

Scottish- "

OFT 2006 "

T&C

Have I forgotten anything?

April

Hi April

Don't forget witness statements etc! See here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/57385-examples-witness-statements-disclosure.html

All the best, April - Adam.

Thanks Adam, the other docs you mentioned are ready to go.

Its just that some of the reports I mentioned in the last post are so long, surely not all the pages are required. A rough calculation, 300 pages, I dont know if you can buy an envelope large or strong enough to handle it.

April.

Hi April

Not been through this myself (yet!) so I'm not sure exactly what you need in the bundle, but I think I've read somewhere that summaries are normally OK. You really need advice from someone more experienced that me, though!

All the best - Adam