• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

has the Woolwich paid anyone

augusta1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, new to this site so please bear with me. I recently wrote to the Woolwich requesting bank charges plus interest totalling £1647.00, i have not heard and the 14 days are now up, today i am sending a letter threatening court action. Also in March my local branch was closed and i now have to bank with Barclays (no say in the matter not particularly impressed because i cant stand Barclays:mad: ) i digress, Does anyone know if they are just ignoring my letter or should i now be corresponding with Barclays- the letter they sent to me with my bank charges was sent from Woolwich. Bit confused. Also has anyone out there had any success with Woolwich.:eek:

they should of sent ur letters to barclays head office, if it were me i would send it straight to barclays head office now and let them deal with it coz they would of in the end anyway, get ur prelim letter off today giving them a further 14 days before u send the lba make sure u enclose a copy of ur shedule of charges with each letter, and send recorded delivery

amandax

Hi augusta1,

I am at the same stage as you with my Woolwich claim. I have sent them the preliminary letter and only yesterday the letter before action.

You shouldn't have too much trouble with them, but I suspect they will drag the process out for as long as possible - it seems to be the norm for Woolwich/Barclays.

Also, don't take any notice of their replies to you. They usually put stuff like 'We're looking into it and will reply no later than xx/xx/xx date, and will probably include some leaflets about complaints etc...

Stick to your timescales and not theirs, this helps keep the pressure on them, and quite frankly they deserve it after the way they treat us!

Good luck and keep us all posted

Hedgerow :D

Thanks for the reply, i havnt heard of many people claiming from the Woolwich and what with the change to Barclays i have been a bit concerned. I have sent the letter informing them i will proceed with court if i don not hear by 10th May - not holding out much hope, but am determined to get my money back. Please let me know how you get on and i will keep in touch.

Augusta

I have found emailing does get a quick response as long as you putin t he magic words 'court action'.

Quite a few posters on this site have successfully reclaimed their full charges back from Woolwich/Barclays and recently someone posted that they had all charges back by just making one telephone call demand (though I think that's a real exception to the rule).

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

thanks for the advice I might try an email - do you think i should wait until the 14 days are up or shall i email them now informing them i will proceed with court if i have no response by the 14 day deadline which is 10th May.

Thanks

Augusta1

thats fantastic great to hear not everyone has a battle. Were they responsive to all your letters and how long did the whole process take.

Well done to you

Augusta1

Having took the advice of welshcakes i decided to email the Woolwich giving them a chance to reply to me LBA, which they did. I was informed that they are currently looking at 20 days to reply, i informed them that there time was up on 10th May and i intended to take them to court on that date. After further corrrespondance via email they infomed me that i would get a reply by 14th May, so i decided to give them the extra 4 days to reply and if i have nothing on Monday morning i am going to court. I have prepared the N1 form. Can anyone tell me what the procedure is after i have handed the form in to court.

Augusta1

Hello augusta1,

Once the court receives your N1 claim form they will post the papers off to the defendant and it should be in their possesion in 2 days.

They then have 14 days in which to acknowledge your claim and then a further 14 days to file a defence.

It's advisable to phone the court when their time limits expire to see if they default on the deadlines, although they will more than likely submit their papers on the final day.

If you have a copy of Patricia Pearls book "Small Claims Procedure: A Practical Guide" the steps to follow are laid out in there.

Best of luck

Hedgerow ;)

Update

I emailed the Woowich on Monday 14th may (date they said they would reply by) they said they would reply to me by the end of the week.. Lost my patience and filed a claim in Birmingham county court on Tuesday 15th. On16th May recieved a letter from Woolwich informing me they are behind in processing claims and would write to me within a further 20 days, there was a telephone number on the letter so i called. Informed me they have 40 days blah blah blah, i informed them i have filed a claim and they told they would hope to have an offer to me within a week.

Question for anyone if it does get to court when i prepare my bundle i do not have bank statements to send, when i sent the SAR to the Woolwich they only sent me a breakdown of charges made to my account and not the actual statement. Will this have any affect.

Hello mmm,

If you are going to accept their offer you should only accept it as part payment and pursue the rest through the courts.

Use the link below to prepare your letter to the bank and get the remaining £800 from them. I'm sure you would prefer it in your account than theirs!

Rejecting Offers

Best of luck

Hedgerow ;)

I too had an offer over the weekend which was just under £800 short. Original claim was £1330 plus interest of £327 plus court costs 120 totalling £1777 - they offered me £1000. I was adamant i was writing today to tell them thanks but no thanks, butting having read the last message on this thread i have discovered i can accept it as a partial offer and pursue the rest in court, didnt realise this. Think this is going to be my approach. Has anybody done this before and if so is it a long process.

Yup! I got £1200 from them yesterday. Process took around 3 months altogether though......

AByway

Can you tell me if the £1200 for the full settlement of your claim or did you accept a lower offer. Also did you go to court or was it settled before that point.

Thanks

I am taking The Woolwich t/a Barclays to court for over £9000.00. I have a hearing date for the 13th June. The Court papers state that the hearing should last no longer than 5 minutes.

The court had originally given The Woolwich untill the end of April to make an offer. This was not forthcoming.

I am not prepared to accept anything less than the full amount.

Just don't let them grind you down.