A View From The Inside - The Whitleblower Thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I thought it would be a good idea for anyone who currently or has previously worked for a DCA to have a space to help anyone else out. I know that there are some here who work for DCA's or at least did do. Here is your opportunity to right your wrongs and provide any hints, tips or general information. If you still work there, do not identify yourself and be careful to cover your tracks.

My own experience is working for Robinson Way, which I did several years ago. I can tell nothing has changed however, because they're still using the same old two-bit, grammatically incorrect letters.

Letters

I think it's important for people to grasp exactly who they're dealing with when it comes to RW. The letters literally mean nothing; there is no thought, care or consideration behind anything they send out - it's all automated, generic correspondence and not worth the paper it's written on. Incoming mail is processed through a machine that takes letters by turn, automatically removes the top of the envelope and someone sits at the machine and very quickly looks at the letter. If there's any money in the envelope, it's put to one side and the letter is thrown away immediately (unless it's cash or the cheque has no account info on the back). If it's a more detailed letter (like a CCA request) it's put on a pile and someone who's targeted on how much post to get through in an hour gets to read it. That person is under pressure to deal with it in the quickest way possible and nine times out of ten that means ignoring it.

Legality

Debt collectors, especially those at middle management level, have a horrendous sense of self-importance, a superiority complex, and consider themselves very knowledgeable about debt. What they often fail to distinguish is that their knowledge concerns the policies of the DCA, not of the law. They have a legal department whose only difference is in name - they are not solicitors and although they have the power to send an account to a solicitor, they will not do so usually. When I was there they had a policy never to take legal action against someone unless they've made a payment to an account through them since payment equates to acknowledgement. Collectors themselves are trained in the various laws that regulate their job but the information they are provided with is minimal and once 'on the floor', becomes irrelevant.

Phone Calls

Debt collectors are nothing more then inverse sales staff. Their own pay rests on how much money they can make for the company, so their only interest is securing payment. Ignorance of the law and the inability to constantly monitor all staff all the time means many will knowingly pressure customers into paying by whatever means works. The general consensus among staff is that those in debt are stupid, and unintelligent. Ironically, in reality it is usually the debt collector who is the less intelligent one; I was unfortunate enough to work with some utter morons who often just go from DCA to DCA bullying their way through phone calls with the general public. They rarely express an ounce of compassion or demonstrate any sort of conscience - on the contrary, the nastier they are, the greater the boast to their work colleagues. A debt collector on the phone rarely has the authority to do anything with an account except move it to the 'next stage' which means another generic letter. The worst they can do is send it to their legal department which simply results in the same kind of letters but with 'legal department' written at the top.

The solution to dealing with RW is to ignore them. Do not speak to them on the phone, and do not respond to any of their generic letters. Write to them and tell them what you want to tell them, and let that be that. If possible, correspond directly with the original creditor. Accounts with RW go through a 'cycle', meaning that they have accounts for limited periods of time and if they've been unsuccessful in collecting debt they return the account to the original creditor who passes it onto another DCA and the whole sorry process begins again.

I know a lot of that is going to be known already by a lot of you but I hope it helps regardless and encourages anybody else working for these companies to speak out.

• Haha 15

I'm getting there. I now work for a high street bank in their own collections department but it's far removed from a DCA.

Good for you spurious.

I don't think anyone objects to paying the original creditor, or perhaps even collectors working on their behalf, but they are far too quick to throw you to the wolves if you suffer a small setback, even temporary.

It's this so called "purchase" thing I despise so heartily.

I had a spell with DWP and other depts chasing 'unpaid' social loans and stuff. Completely different thing where the law is concerned, but just as unpopular with Joe Public and Janet Street-Person as that really does hit those who could well do without it. Took me a while to see the effect it can have on people......... :Cry: :cry: :Cry:

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

I couldn't do a job like that, it would break me mentally. I just couldn't be so nasty to people. Thank you for posting, it's interesting that there are some who are vindictive enough to hurt people in this way. Perhaps they need psychiatric help - and I'm not being sarcastic either!

Vampyra, you make a good point. The probably all suffer from borderline personality disorder, therefore have never developed any empathy!

But I have no sympathy for them - they are bullies and as such should be treated and dealt with with the contempt they deserve.

Well done Spurious - it must have been a truly horrible place for you to work, and glad you have found something a lot better

I thought it would be a good idea for anyone who currently or has previously had dealings with a debtor to have a space to help anyone else out. I know that there are some here who are debtors, or at least were. Here is your opportunity to right your wrongs and provide any hints, tips or general information. If you still are a debtor do not identify yourself and be careful to cover your tracks.

Legality

Debtors have a horrendous sense of self-importance, a superiority complex, and consider themselves very knowledgeable about debt. What they often fail to distinguish is that their knowledge is from forum postings written by those without true knowledge of the law. They are not solicitors. Their knowledge is frequently minimal.

Phone Calls

Debtors are nothing more than borrowers. Their own income rests on how much money they can borrow without paying it back. Ignorance of the law and the inability to take any notice of what they agreed and signed to means many will knowingly pressure creditors and DCA's into allowing them to pay whatever they are offered. The general consensus among debtors is that those in debt collection are stupid, and unintelligent. Ironically, in reality it is usually the debtor who is the less intelligent one; I was unfortunate enough to work with some utter moronic debtors who often just go from creditor to another bullying their way through phone calls. They rarely express an ounce of guilt or demonstrate any sort of conscience - on the contrary, the nastier they are, the greater the boast to their fellow debtors. A debtor on the phone rarely has the authority to insist you agree anything. The worst they can do is send it to their 3rd party representative which simply results in the same kind of payment refusal but with 'CAB' written at the top.

The solution to dealing with debtors is to sue them. Do not speak to them on the phone, and do not respond to any of their generic letters. Write to them and tell them what you are going to do and let that be that. If possible, correspond directly with the original debtor. Accounts with CAB's go through a 'cycle', meaning that they have accounts for months without replying and if they've been unsuccessful in making an arrangement they return the account to the original debtor who then passes it onto another CAB and the whole sorry process begins again.

I know a lot of that is going to be known already by a lot of you but I hope it helps regardless and encourages anybody else dealing with these debtors to speak out.

How interesting - a view from a current DCA employee perhaps?

One who can only take the original words of 'spurious' and play a game of substitution.

Well proves the point really, no further comment neccesary.

Incidentally Ramses ruled only for 2 years it was his descendants who were significant in the Eygptian empire.........:rolleyes:

The solution to dealing with debtors is to sue them. Do not speak to them on the phone, and do not respond to any of their generic letters. Write to them and tell them what you are going to do and let that be that.

Oh if only it were true!!!! :lol: Who needs a TV license when you can get your Friday night comedy right here for nowt!!! :lol:

Cheers Rameses. You make it all worthwhile!!

How interesting - a view from a current DCA employee perhaps?

One who can only take the original words of 'spurious' and play a game of substitution.

Well proves the point really, no further comment neccesary.

Incidentally Ramses ruled only for 2 years it was his descendants who were significant in the Eygptian empire.........:rolleyes:

...and enjoyed their interbreeding,.....

• Haha 1

i can feel his bitterness coming though internet backbone

i'd go down the pub rameses buy a beer ( make sure you dont use your credit card! you dont want to run up a big bill and fall foul of a DCA) and have a long think about your life choices

and stop hijacking other peoples threads

if u want start your own thread you can air your views there

i can feel his bitterness coming though internet backbone

i'd go down the pub rameses buy a beer ( make sure you dont use your credit card! you dont want to run up a big bill and fall foul of a DCA) and have a long think about your life choices

and stop hijacking other peoples threads

if u want start your own thread you can air your views there

Yes we would all be interested in your defence of harrasment, bullying and lies as techniques for intimidating (often) vulnerable and scared people. A debt may be a debt (if proven) but debtors do not choose such to enhance their lifestyle but are (often) victims of unfortunate and unforseen circumstances. Shame on those who add to their grief and misery by flouting the OFT guidelines.

Empathy is a sign of intelligence, bullying is not!

Hi Spurious

just a couple of q's

where there any auditing processes of when you did credit searches on people. Did you have to log each search and justify or was it standard practice to credit search every account that came over?

any help much appreciated

The solution to dealing with debtors is to sue them.

If only...Why doyou not tell your boss that. There's many in here that would love a day in court to sort DCA's claims out once and for all. What does the DCA repeatedly send us "we prefer to settle out of court" followed by numerous final warnings and of course demands of payment for something they cannot justify as owing to them!

Guest buda01

i wonder what would happen if every one in debt decided not to communicate with dcas and totally ignored their letters.

at the end of the day if you havent got it they havent got it.

doesnt matter how much these prats give it the big un down the phone, if you dont want to pay them then dont. simply say your not getting a penny and never will and let them sulk cus they cant win.

where there any auditing processes of when you did credit searches on people. Did you have to log each search and justify or was it standard practice to credit search every account that came over?

Credit searches aren't done by the drones, if they're done at all. The vast majority of debt that RW handle, or did handle, was not owned by them. As I understand it, the severity with which accounts were handled was stipulated in advance by the original creditor, who'd authorise legal action to be used in certain cases, or not as the case may be. The systems they use to record information were no where near sophisticated enough to keep records of things like credit searches.

Credit searches are only likely to be done by someone at a management level rather than the ordinary telephone types. That's why it's all the more important to complain when you have good reason to - someone with that level of trust and responsibility should not be allowed to flout the law and get away with it.

I would imagine some DCA's do not search at all and the tracing will actually be done by the OC or their in-house team under the guise of the purchaser. As I said on another thread, they will know who accessed records at a particular time and for what reason. It is a legal requirement to carry out random checks and the company would face a substantial fine if they could not justify a search or record amendment.

Hi Spurious, great thread, very informative, which will, I'm sure, invoke some interesting debate..{edit}

One question I'd like to ask...I've read somewhere, not sure if it was on CAG or another site, that people have applied for copies of their credit records, only to be suddenly swamped with letters, calls from DCAs. There was a suggestion, wherever I read it, that Credit Reference Agencies may somehow be working hand in hand with some DCAs. Have you in your experience any reason to believe this may be the case?

It's not happened to me, but it was something I read that stuck in my mind....I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist...who shouted paranoid?;)

Regards, Zim.

Hi Zimmie,

Yes it does happen. If you do an online credit check using a credit or debit card, you are confirming your ID and address to the CRA. Certain people/accounts are 'tagged' to give a warning when they have accessed their personal details and the relevant DCA is informed.

When you 'sign' the application to search your records, you are agreeing to this taking place "for the prevention of fraud, and tracing of debtors" I believe the wording is. You're not paranoid - it does happen and it is an incredibly effective way of tracing people because in this instance, they are who they are, and live where they live by their own admission, or else they must/may have obtained the card used illegally in which case the card issuer will be notified.

All the best.

PS I can only assume the same system will apply to postal applications.

Thanks Danny...a star as always. I guess this could be tested out by 'accidently' giving a wrong address for a credit report to be sent to...one where you would still get any letters passed to you, then wait to see what follows! Unless of course CRAs check electoral registers..but then again not everyone registers...but if you've ever had credit you must, I presume, have a credit record. Its not just debt that creates the credit record.

I'm not going to do it...it's purely hypothetical.

This is what happens when Lowells don't write as often as they did...you just start conjuring up what ifs :)