Woolwich Mortgage - £3000 charges!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been lurking here for a few days and started my first SAR yesterday.

I had a mortgage with the Woolwich and paid every month by cheque. I was normally late and as a result they charged be £35 every month for 3 years on three accounts I have with them - that's £105 a month over three years!

I only realised this when I remortgaged.

My question is as follows:

As a result of these unlawful charges, I was forced to remortgage for £3000 more than I would have needed to. Therefore, am I entitled to claim from the Woolwich the interest I have been charged by my new mortgage company since the remortgage?

Thanks,

It's going to be an interesting year...

1970 - don't know the answer to your question - but perhaps if you start a thread in the mortgage sub-forum - you might get your answer there. Look under "Other Institutions".

Good Luck - Jackie

Abbey: Settled - now for no. 2

Dudley Building Society : claim dismissed - no costs

London Scottish: settled in full :oops:

Capital One - settled in full :p

"Energy and persistence conquer all things" Benjamin Franklin

Any advice, information and thoughts given by me are just my humble opinion

• 5 weeks later...

WOW £10k CLAIM!!!

Hi,

Got my SAR data today. They were charging me £35 per month (£105 total) on 3 accounts for 3.5 years. The charges were for paying late.

I've done my spreadsheet and the total is £4.5k making a total including CCI at 6.85% of £10,000.85.

The period is 1999 to 2004. The first part of the claim is beyond 6 years but I'm going to argue the limitation act does not apply. Or I could deduct this part as it's only £700 of the claim.

Here is my prelim which I shall hand deliver and post special delivery tomorrow.

Please let me know if there are any flaws in this letter. Many thanks.

The Branch Manager

The Woolwich

xxx

xxx

xxx

xxx

DELIVERED BY HAND AND POSTED SPECIAL DELIVERY - GUARANTEED NEXT DAY

24th May 2007

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBERS: 92-277-xxxxx, 92-277-xxxxx, 92-277-xxxxx Requesting repayment of £4,515.00 Plus contractual interest totalling £10,000.85.

Thank you for sending me a complete list of all the charges you have applied to the three mortgage accounts I held with you. I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my mortgage accounts as detailed above from 20/05/99 to 15/06/04.

I now understand that the regime of fees which you applied to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, returned cheques, arrears fees and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent consumer regulations.

If you say that they are not, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put by as a result of my breaches, in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs.

Additionally, it has now been confirmed that your particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair according to the OFT who reported on the 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract, which you agreed to at the time that I opened my mortgage accounts. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them.

Your concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented me from asserting my right until now.

You have held on to and benefited from my money for a number of years. When I re-mortgaged and closed my account with you, I was forced to borrow additional funds from the new mortgage company as a direct result of your unlawful charges. I will be paying interest on this additional borrowing for another 22 years.

I calculate that you have taken £3,980.00 by way of unlawful penalties. See attached schedule.

I have paid you interest of £535.88 on the money you have taken, as the unlawful charges were added to the balance of the mortgage. See attached schedule.

The total amount you have charged me is £4,515.88

I am also claiming compounded contractual interest at the rate of 6.85% which is the rate you charged me.

I believe I am entitled to this interest rate due to the implied term in our contract based on the principle of "mutuality" or "reciprocity"

Therefore the total amount I am reclaiming is £10,000.85. See attached schedule. Please note, in an attempt to resolve matters swiftly and amicably, I am only charging you interest on the individual charges you have levied from my mortgage accounts rather then the total amount you have levied.

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I am very well aware that you have made a number of unconditional refunds in relation to your charges to other customers over the last 12 months.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive the payment of £10,000.85. Please make your cheque payable to D Francis.

Alternatively, you can transfer funds by BACS to the following account:

Halifax – xxxxx

Account Name: xxxxx

Sort Code: xx-xx-xx

Account Number: 0xxxxx0

If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within 14 days, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

I am expecting this matter to be resolved by Friday 8th June 2007.

After that, there will be no further communication from me and I shall commence court proceedings at the expiry of the second deadline, which will be Friday 22nd June 2007.

Yours faithfully,

Comments please...

It's going to be an interesting year...

• 3 weeks later...