• Tweets

• Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Browni24 v Cap 1....me & boyfriend

brownie24
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bump to my above query. Do you think the following letter would get this stay removed?

Dear District Judge

I respectfully object to the proposed order of a stay in respect of the above claim vs. Capital One Bank (Europe) PLC. I respectfully ask that the stay be removed on the following grounds;

Ø The claim is in respect of Charges applied to a Credit Card account. These claims are not concerning the recovery of current bank account charges. The claim is therefore not effected by the outcome to the current OFT test case and should be allowed to proceed to its natural conclusion through the courts.

Ø The Office of Fair Trading have already ruled on Credit Card charges. On 5th April 2006 OFT confirmed that Credit Card charges were a particularly high level of penalty and were considered to be unfair by the OFT and therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

Ø These claims concern unlawfully taken credit card charges and erroneous default markers placed on file with various credit agencies.

Ø Credit Card charges differ to current account overdraft charges, insofar as there is a clear breach of contract. Credit card charges could potentially be decided solely on the “penalty” issue of common law, without reference to the UTCCR which the OFT case focuses on. Furthermore as there is a clear breach of contract there is no question about whether or not the UTCCR applies as it has been held to apply to default provision in Director General Fair Trading V First National Bank plc [2002] 1 All ER 97

I am aware of Credit Card claims progressing through other County Courts and if you require any further information or evidence in this matter then I will happily supply this for you.

I await your response in this matter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have still not heard a thing from Capital One and they only have until Monday 15th to submit their defence. Is this the norm to leave it right til the last minute? and do they normally submit a defence?

Was kinda hoping for a nice xmas bonus:D

Brownie24:D

I have received a letter today from Cap One which says:

Capital One has acted in accordance with the terms and conditions of your credit agreement throughout this matter and it is colear you have no claim against Capital One. After revieiwing your request for £1465.99 (This was calculated CCI using the vampiress spreadsheet from this site) for interest incurred I can confirm that your calculations are incorrect. All default sums charged to any account are always charged at the purchase interest rate. The total amount of purchase interest we have ever charged to your account since it was opened is £333.17. This amount includes the interest on all of your purchases and only a very small protion of this figure has been charged on default sums. On the basis of the above, I cannot agree to the proposal of refunding the sum of £1465.99 to cover the interest incurred.

I am prepared to offer, without any admission of liability, a refund of the default sums totalling £1144. I'll refund the total amount of purchase interest charged to the account in the sum of £333.17 and £246.83, which is the 8% you are entitled to claim under Section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984, I'll also refund the subject access request fee of £10. This brings my total offer to £1734, this will pay off your outstanding balance and I've arranged to send you a cheque for the remainder of £438.35 which you should receive within 21 working days. (Can you ask them to pay the whole amount to you rather than clear your account?)

These refunds are made purely as a gesture of good will and we will now defend this claim on the basis we have refunded the correct amount.

I hope I have explained things clearly for you and we can move on from here. I would finally request that you contact the court to confirm the settlement and discontinue the claim. We have also written to teh court to confirm that we have paid in full.

Elllie Renshaw

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction, are my calculations for CCI correct? and should I decline this offer? Also they have mentioned nothing about default removal?

Is this just a last minute scare tactic to try and make me settle for less?

Any help much appreciated :D

Hi folks

Could someone please have a look over the following letter which I am going to send in repsonse to Cap One offer. Just was wondering what I should state about issuing judgement and their position as they did not submit a defence in time?

I am in receipt of your letter dated 10th December 2008.

Please be advised that I will not be accepting your offer and therefore my court claim still stands for the full charges, contractual interest and court costs. I am enclosing with this letter an updated schedule of charges as of today’s date to update you regarding interest that is currently accruing daily (£2.10 daily) and will continue to increase until this matter is settled.

Once again you are denying that these fees are unlawful and that they are based on the costs that you incur. I once again invite you to provide evidence of your actual losses or pre-estimate of costs in relation to the account breaches. Your silence on this matter leads me to believe that you will not disclose your costs for reasons that remain unknown. If you choose to continue not to address this issue, you will be requested to provide this information in court, I have put it in my Particulars Of Claim (POC) and can be addressed in court.

As my Particulars Of Claim state. I am claiming contractual interest (compounded daily) at 31.54% APR. which is the rate that has been applied to my account and is the most current interest rate applied according to my statements covered by this claim. The claiming of this rate is based in equity and a legal requirement for fairness and balance. As there is an express rate of interest in the contract for the benefit of the bank when it lends money, in my view there is an equivalent term which benefits the customer when the bank owes the customer money.

You state that my calculations are incorrect, I have checked over these calculations and they are not incorrect. Please note that I am claiming contractual interest compounded daily. I am aware that Capital One has been paying out on contractual interest (compounded) - for numerous claims and I shall not hesitate in providing these cases to the judge.

My POC also further states that ‘in the alternative’ should the court find that the claimant is not entitled to contractual interest, the claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984. Now having gone ahead and issued this claim I feel it is now for the Court to decide on the interest applicable and not Capital One. As such my claim still stands as before and I will be informing the court to that effect.

I think you have been presumptuous in assuming that I would accept your proposal as settlement. I have not accepted this amount as full and final settlement and when I receive the cheque I shall return it to you. In no way have I formally accepted this offer either verbally or written and you have no such proof to this effect . To make my position clear no refund is to be put onto my card and if such action has already been done without my authority then please be advised I am not accepting this and wish you to remove these funds.

I would also like to point out that you have not addressed the issue of removal of prejudicial information and the removal of the default notice as outlined in my Particulars of Claim.

I have checked with the court and no defence has been submitted by yourself as was ordered to do so by District Judge Butler by close of business on 15th December 2008. As such I am now in a position to issue judgement against you in this matter.

Should you wish to settle my claim in full, then please forward the balance of the claim £2636.47 to date, without conditions, and organise for the removal of default.

I trust this clarifies my position that court action will continue and your offer is not acceptable to me.

Capital One have said on many occasions that they charge interest on the charges at the purchase rate, it would be difficult to go into court and fight for the Contractual rate, although the Sempra case is what we use.

If they have proof that they only charge the Purchase rate of interest on the charges, then they will probably turn up in court to defend the contractual interest part of your claim.

Did you have a default on this account?

If so, you could negotiate for the removal of that.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

• 3 weeks later...

Will keep everything crossed for you brownie. I won by default. but applied for judgement the day after their deadline.... heard nothing from them until the bailiffs went in. even then they did not pay...lol... took national tv to get the money...

keep phoning the court or going in...and good luck

rockin all over the world

Hi Andy

Come to a bit of a standstill it's back with the District Judge for his directions at the moment because of the late defence that they submitted. I wrote to the judge contesting this late defence and asking that my judgement still be issued but the lady at the court told me over the phone that it is likely that the Judge will accept their defence as if the judgement was granted Cap One would probably apply to have it set aside and this would only mean more paperwork for the court. The Court also told me that they have a backlog of work at the mo so may have to wait another week to find out what the judge orders :(.

I have sent my cheque back to Cap One for the amount they offered with purchase interest only. What did you do with yours?

Getting a bit anxious now as to what amount I'm going to end up with, it seems that the CCI might be expecting too much. However one thing I am going to do is give Cap One another nudge and point out that as nothing has been settled interest is still accruing daily.

Have you filled in your AQ?

Hurray some good news came through my letter box.....JUDGEMENT HAS BEEN FILED AGAINST CAPITAL ONE! This was dated the 20th January and they had until the 23rd (today) to pay me in full, no surprises that I am yet still to receive payment so does this now mean that I can instruct the bailiffs and how do I go about this?

Was going to try and phone them today to see if they were posting my cheque out to me and stating that if I do not receive this on Monday then I will instruct the bailiffs immediately!

Brownie 24:D

ps My partner who is also claiming and at exactly the same stage as me however, had a letter from the courts stating that the matter was referrred to the district judge re; the interest claimed and the 35.6% interest has been refused and only 8% interest allowed!!! Bit confused as to how this can be the case when my judgement has been granted with the CCI. Anyway our thinking on this is wait until I receive my payment in full and then write back to the judge trying to get this changed

Well phoned Capital One on Friday to ask when they were going to settle this claim as judgement had now been served and informed them that should they not do so immediately I would instruct the bailiffs and go to the press (my story was starting to mirror that of Audreygreeneyes!......so thanks for the tips). I was told someone would phone me back.

About an hour or so later I got a phone call back and they told me they had had a chance to look into my case. They started to tell me that a defence had been entered before the deadline and that it must have been due to an admin delay that it was not processed......I began to think here we go but then she went on to inform me that they would now pay me in full........even at the last hurdle they cannot accept defeat, so for all of you out there getting worried hang on in there and stick to your guns.

They asked for my bank details and said they would arrange for a BACS payment direct in to my bank for the full amount of claim......although I had to politely remind them that interest had also been added up to the date of judgement which was 20th January so I gave them details of this amount and they told me that payment should be in my account Monday.

Have just checked account and no payment as of yet........I know Audreygreeneyes had this prob.......I'll give them until midday before I get back on the blower.

When that's all sorted just gotta sort out my partner's last minute glitch and hopefully he too will have his payment in full with CCI very soon.

Brownie24:D:D:D

:D thats fantastic news!....I have been following your thread with interest as I am about to start a claim against CAP1 myself, and I was weighing up whether to go for CI or not, my main concern being that I cant seem to get to grips with the spreadsheet for CI.

What spreadsheet did you use?

:D thats fantastic news!....I have been following your thread with interest as I am about to start a claim against CAP1 myself, and I was weighing up whether to go for CI or not, my main concern being that I cant seem to get to grips with the spreadsheet for CI.

What spreadsheet did you use?

Scatz I used Vampiress's spreadsheet no 13, you need to set up a google account to use these documents but that's easy to do. Let me know if you need any more help. It took me a while to get to grips with understanding it and using the right interest rate but with the knowledge and help of everyone on here I got there in the end and am so glad now that I did it :D

You may as well try for CCI cause at the end of the day you have nothing to lose and if you stick to your guns they should pay up, although they will try and wangle their way out of it. If you need any copies of the letters I sent just give us a shout.

I have just rang the bank and yipppppeeee I am now considerably better off :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Scatz I used Vampiress's spreadsheet no 13, you need to set up a google account to use these documents but that's easy to do. Let me know if you need any more help. It took me a while to get to grips with understanding it and using the right interest rate but with the knowledge and help of everyone on here I got there in the end and am so glad now that I did it :D

You may as well try for CCI cause at the end of the day you have nothing to lose and if you stick to your guns they should pay up, although they will try and wangle their way out of it. If you need any copies of the letters I sent just give us a shout.

I have just rang the bank and yipppppeeee I am now considerably better off :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:D thats brilliant news!

and any help you can give me will be very much appreciated.

I've got a google account, so where do I find Vampiress's spreadsheet No13?

:D thats brilliant news!

and any help you can give me will be very much appreciated.

I've got a google account, so where do I find Vampiress's spreadsheet No13?

It used to be in the document templates on this site - interest calculations spreadsheet, but I'm not sure if the link works any more. If not PM your email address and i'll send this to you.

Good luck;)

• Haha 1

Well done Brownie. Great job.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers