Bailiff . . .unable to find out what its about

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My brother has had a letter from a bailiff saying that they have tried to collect goods from MY house as he was staying with me. He's rang TFL (who issued the original ticket (he's assuming)), but they can't give him any info as its been passed for collection. The collection agency can't give any information because its been passed to the bailiff and the bailiff's letter and a subsequent phone call to them doesn't say what the amount is or what its for. Very rude man said he won't make any arrangements for settlement. Wants goods or full payment but won't say what the amount is........Obviously there's nothing in my house belonging to my brother and he has no property that can be taken so where do we go from here? Any help will be much appreciated.

Loopy.

exactly - once informed, they should leave you alone. If they don't, and they are certified bailiffs, report them to the court and let them deal with them.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

• 2 weeks later...

I know you say that they will leave me alone, but my brother wants to pay this debt. He has since had a letter(5 days go) saying he owes £223 and that has now gone up to £490.

They say they have been to my house but have left no note or letter or card. He is willing to pay the debt but they will not accept what is in the letter, and are adamant they have visited. He has no property for them to seize and after the phone call fiasco this morning, where they twice put the phone down on him for asking for charges breakdown, is tempted to cut and run......any advice would be useful.

Loopy........

Well, they can't charge for visiting your house when it's not his residence, can they?

Get your brother to send a cheque for the original amount and state the rest is in dispute as they have not visted his address.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

If the brothers name is at the property where the charge certificate was issued then the bailiff CAN add a visit charge.

Also it is not so simple just to ring the bailiff and tell him that the brother does not live there. Proof must be shown.

Also it is not so simple just to ring the bailiff and tell him that the brother does not live there. Proof must be shown.

Please tell ... HOW do I prove that The Queen, The Pope, Mr Snodgrass, Uncle Tom Cobbly et al, DON'T live at my address?

copy of the electoral register should do it as he wont be registered at the address surely?

claim v natwest WON!

all posts made by myself are without prejudice

copy of the electoral register should do it as he wont be registered at the address surely?

The original poster said that his brother was "staying with me".

Doesn't sound as if he was a permanent resident then? Highly unlikely that he is on the electoral roll (which can often be anything up to 18 months out of date).

Please tell ... HOW do I prove that The Queen, The Pope, Mr Snodgrass, Uncle Tom Cobbly et al, DON'T live at my address?

how silly......

a lot of people register their cars at addresses which they do not reside at.

I am sure the Queen does the same

how silly......

a lot of people register their cars at addresses which they do not reside at.

Not "silly" at all - the original poster said his brother was "staying with him" - implying a short-term temporary arrangement. Under those circumstances I don't think that his car will be registered at that address, do you?

We have friends staying with us now for the Bank Holiday weekend - but they are not on the electoral roll, and their cars are certainly NOT registered at this address !

My point was that the onus is on the debtor to prove a negative - something which cannot be done. In every other branch of law it is up to the accuser / prosecutor to prove "guilt" - not up to the defendant to prove "innocence". With bailiff law (it seems) the bailiff can "assume" that a vehicle belongs to you unless you can prove otherwise. (As a further example, there is currently a Vauxhall Corsa parked immediately outside my house - it has nothing to do with anyone at this house, and I haven't got the faintest idea who it does belong to).

Incidentally - the original poster never once said that the bailiff was trying to remove a car anyway - he was refering to goods inside the house.

For the debt to be registered at the address, the car must have been regsistered at the address while staying with his brother. Come across these all the time.

For the debt to be registered at the address, the car must have been regsistered at the address while staying with his brother. Come across these all the time.

Quite possibly - but the poster didn't make that clear.

There are also alot of posts about people being "traced" to other addresses by the bailiffs.