• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

MJ versus A&L ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6030 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi fellow claimers:-) My first post here ... looking for a little advice and reassurance.

I've been through the letters stage, got all the standard replies and have just started court proceedings online.

My first concern is that, initially, the spread sheet of charges sent to the bank excluded any interest calculations (as per the step-by-step instructions on this site). WhenI submitted the claim online, I did not attach the interest charges, but just put the interest figure in the particulars so, to date, neither the court nor the bank have a spread sheet detailing these (though I have since prepared one to include all the details). My question is ... should I wait to hear from the court/bank before submitting this?

Secondly, I included all monthly OD charges in my calculations ... have others done this also? Is this correct? I'm claiming for 6 years' worth of charges and an overdraft facility was arranged approx. 4 years ago. These monthly charges make up a large amount of the claim, but are A&L likely to contest these and use this to delay matters do you think?

These two points are really worrying me and I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thank you.:-)

A-Z CAG links to all documents you'll need for

your claim

(Thanks to Michael Brown for all his efforts)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks for the reply.:-) I did include the interest total when submitting MCOL, but did not include the spreadsheet with the charges included.

I've today had a cheque from A&L, which is nowhere near what I'm claiming for, so am returning it. Now is perhaps a good time to include the spreadsheet to include the interest, so that at least the bank have it.

Just wondering about hearing from the court ... I imagine at some stage I'll get an AQ or something to complete, at which time might it be appropriate to send them the interest schedule then, or should I send it now do you think?

your claim

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Thanks so much for all your help ... I'll prepare the letter and ring the court tomorrow.:-)

x

your claim

Hey,

Ive just read this, http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/84420-case-struck-out-help.html

Get your spreadsheet in ASAP!

Thanks for the warning ... I'll act swiftly.

your claim

Having received the "standard" replies to the two letters, I started proceedings with MCOL on 10/4 to claim over £3k (on behalf of a relative). They sent a cheque for a quarter of this amount and a letter's gone off to them today rejecting it, returning the cheque and also sending them a list of interest charges she's now also claiming for (which I also emailed to the court after speaking to them).

They have just acknowledged and all the bumph arrived with my sister this morning. Fully expect them to defend now they've had their "thanks, but no thanks" letter.

I'm a little nervous about the charges list as I've included all the monthly OD charges ... a long story and I've no idea if these were within her overdraft limit, but I've read a couple of success stories where they've been claimed and A&L have paid up, so fingers tightly crossed.:confused: Anyone know what's likely to happen if they dispute these chargesicon5.gif

Anyway, for now I guess it's a waiting game to see if they decide to defend or not (fully expecting them to).

your claim

Are you doing the claim for someone else?

Yes, I'm doing the leg-work for a relative. Not sure what to do (if anything) about these £5 monthly OD charges which I've included on my schedule and submitted to MCOL and the bank. Any idea what will happen if I just leave things as they are? Any help appreciated ... I'm worried!

your claim

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me here ...

I inadvertently included some OD monthly charges of £5 in my interest schedule which has gone to MOL and the bank (though I gather the £10 and £25 are OK to claim back). These "extra" £5 charges make up about 4% of my claim. The bank have just acknowledged and I'm now really worried the case will be struck off, knowing how awkward A&L can be.

Anyone have any idea what might happen if I sit tight and wait? I'm a bit loathe to start altering things as it could prove to be pretty messy as I'm claiming for someone else.

Any help much appreciated.

your claim

You might still be able to do an amendment, I had to do one (I was claiming too little!) and it only costs £35 - which I suppose you might be better off paying in the long run compared to getting nothing.

Speak to the MCOL helpline. they are really helpful and should be able to give you guidance :)

Many thanks for the reply. I've spoken to the court and they're not supposed to give you any advice on these matters, but still think I'm more inclined to see what happens. The amendment process looks so complicated and the bank have already acknowledged ... I'll have a think.

your claim

Yes, I'm doing the leg-work for a relative. Not sure what to do (if anything) about these £5 monthly OD charges which I've included on my schedule and submitted to MCOL and the bank. Any idea what will happen if I just leave things as they are? Any help appreciated ... I'm worried!
Only MHO, MJ, but I'd let it play out and see what happens.

If worst came to worst and it ended up in the courtroom (unlikely from past experiences shown on the forum), then they could go through your schedule charge by charge and have the 'dodgy' ones removed by the judge but you'd still be entitled to the rest as legitimate claims.

If I'm incorrect in thinking this, I'm sure someone will put me right! 8-)

Thanks, any reassurance greatly appreciated!icon7.gif

I'm already going through my sister's defence in my head : the bank had a list of charges and didn't identify these as being unclaimable, just stated ALL are unclaimable, which we know is incorrect:rolleyes:, etc., etc.

Wondering how the bank are going to play this one ... should be interesting (if pretty frightening :rolleyes:). I'll keep you posted.

x

your claim

No problem ... grateful for your input at any time mochamooicon7.gif

your claim

I've had my MCOL claim acknowledged and the bank now have 'til 15/5 to state if they want to defend my claim. My problem is that I'm away for a few days around this time without access to a computer so, if A&L decide not to defend, I'll not be able to click on the "request judgement" button. I'm sure they will decide to but, if they don't, will it make any difference that I'm not around?

I keep reading about people staying up 'til after midnight to request judgement, but surely this won't make any difference ... either the bank decide to defend or not, or do they have some leeway after the deadline date :confused: If this is the case, I'll have to speak nicely to a reliable friend/relative :rolleyes:

Any advise would be most welcome.

your claim

Once a judgement order has been applied for and issued by MCOL it is very difficult for the bank to justify. In order to get the judegement overturned they have to apply to the District Judge, something that the A&L have not done to date.

You say that you will not be around for a few days during the relevent period (15/5), however if you can get access to a computer, internet cafe etc then you can do it from anywhere on the globe. Failing that get a very reliable friend/relative to do it and show them exactly what to do.

There is little point in staying up till midnight to do it...as long as you enter judgement before 9am on the correct day that is fine. The bank still have until 4pm to enter the defence, after that judgement stands.

Good Luck

Many thanks for the useful info. :-) No internet cafes where I'm going, so looks like I may have to get a friend's/relative's help. By the way, would I be able to apply for judgement on the morning of the 28th day, or would it be the 29th?

x

your claim

Getting worried now ... has anyone had to go to court who's claiming from A&L? Is it really worth starting to prepare a court bundle as soon as they put in a defence (which I'm expecting to happen soonicon9.gif) or is it worth waiting a couple of weeks to see if they pay up, that's if the court date isn't imminent of course? I'm finding all the court bundle info. so confusing, but appreciate that, to get it right, copied, etc. is going to take some time.

your claim

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanks for this.icon7.gif Presumably all this applies when filing for judgement on MCOL?

your claim